Don't have an account? Create one!

The Choking Game

AuthorMessage
Juliet and Romeo
Salute You in Your Grave
Juliet and Romeo
March 21st, 2008 at 09:04pm
"The fainting game, also commonly known as the choking game or the pass-out game, is a loose term that covers dangerous activities designed to induce a partial or complete loss of consciousness brought about by the intentional deprivation of oxygen to the brain for a period of time. There are two distinct methods used to achieve oxygen deprivation: strangulation and self-induced hypocapnia.

The term 'game' is used because these activities have typically been pursued by children as recreation; the practice among adults appears to be uncommon and generally in the different context of the pursuit of erotic asphyxiation. However, experts state that for some teens, the choking game can take on elements of erotic asphyxiation.

Although believed to be practiced widely, few empirical studies have been done. The 2006 Youth Health Risk Behavioral Survey in Williams County, Ohio found that 11% of youths aged 12-18 years and 19% of youths aged 17-18 reported ever having practiced it.

No empirical study is known to have been done on the reasons for its attraction but anecdotally stated reasons include:

-Peer pressure, a challenge or dare, a rite of passage into a social group or amusement over erratic behaviour.
-Curiosity in an altered state of consciousness, the experience of a brownout, an imagined approximation to a near death experience or more recently, copycatting elements of the film Flatliners
-A belief, not clearly substantiated, that it can induce a brief sense of euphoria (a rush sensation or high).
-A belief, also not clearly substantiated, that it may enhance erotic feelings.
The prospect of intoxication, albeit brief, at no financial cost.
-An underlying lack of knowledge concerning the physiological mechanisms involved and the risk of neurological damage or death.

Any activity that deprives the brain of oxygen has the potential to cause moderate to severe brain cell death leading to permanent loss of neurological function ranging from difficulty in concentration or loss of short term memory capacity through severe, lifelong mental disability to death. Statistics on fatalities and neurological damage are controversial and no definitive, empirical study exists although the indications are that the practice is a significant contributor to death and disability, particularly among male juveniles in most developed countries. Many believe that deaths are significantly undereported because of false attributions to suicide.

One study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found sufficient evidence to indicate that since 1995 at least 82 youths between the age of 6 and 19 have died in the United States as a result of the game. Of these 86.6% were male, the mean age being 13.3. 95.7% of these deaths occurred while the youth was alone; parents of the decedents were unaware of the game in 92.9% of cases. Deaths were recorded in 31 states and were not clustered by location, season or day of week.[1] Neurological damage is harder to attribute accurately because of the difficulty of linking generalised, acquired neurological disability to a specific past event.

Incidental, or indirect, injuries may arise from falling or uncontrolled movements and crushing by a ligature or an assistant. Such injuries may include concussion, bone fractures, tongue biting and hemorrhaging of the eye.

The CDC encourages parents, educators and health-care providers to familiarize themselves with the signs of the game. These include: discussion of the game; bloodshot eyes; marks on the neck; severe headaches; disorientation after spending time alone; ropes, scarves, and belts tied to bedroom furniture or doorknobs or found knotted on the floor; and unexplained presence of things like dog leashes, choke collars and bungee cords"
-from Wikipedia.com

What do you think, in general, of this?:
Do you think we should make a bigger effort to try and stop this?:
How do you think we could stop it?:
Any other feelings?:
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
March 21st, 2008 at 09:13pm

Hmm....

Well I admit I have done this.

I got a bandana and got someone to push it against my throat while I was up against a wall, and let me tell you it was scary.
Like the music that was playing faded out, my legs just shook so bad, I thought I was going to just collapse and everything went white. I did not completely fall unconscious, but I was near to it.

I haven't done it since, but it was still a scary experience.

I think education is a good tactic to help prevent this sort of thing. Maybe in a subject like health they should briefly touch down on it, so that everyone is aware about it.

Trust me, it was so scary that I am never doing it again.
Spirited Away
Joining The Black Parade
Spirited Away
March 22nd, 2008 at 12:19am
I dont think that this is a very smart game. Why would people want to do that to themselves? I'm glad that you'll never do it again ^ ^. It does sound pretty scary. I, personally, would never do this and I do think that schools should warn kids about this, but that might make kids want to try this. So, I have no clue how this can be stopped, but I know that people shouldnt do this kind of stuff.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
March 22nd, 2008 at 06:39pm

I guess the only reason was that I was curious about it.

But later some girl was like "You wanna come and faint in the bathrooms?" and I said "No... Do you know what happens to people when they faint?"
And do you know what she said?!"

"Their brains stop working."

This shows that the youth of today do not know the full consequences of what they are doing. I really think that adults ahoudl touch base on it in schools.

(For those who don't know, when the brain stops, the person dies.)
Littlemisschem
Fabulous Killjoy
Littlemisschem
March 23rd, 2008 at 09:21pm
This whole choking game thing is completely absurd. I've never met anyone who's done it, and so I don't really have a first account experience on what it's all about and what it feels like, except for the young lady that posted before. This game has been pointed out nationally on Oprah actually, I sat down with my mother and watched it with her. This game does nothing and only makes you brain dead. I wonder who actually came up with this stupid game, it's dangerous.
Balthazar
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Balthazar
March 24th, 2008 at 05:40pm
My friend showed me how to do it but i won't do it because i'm too scared that my thumbs won't come out of my neck.
Marilyn Monroe
Awake and Unafraid
Marilyn Monroe
April 12th, 2008 at 07:08am
^^^ Darkening.star, how would your thumbs not come out of your throat??? *probably a stupid question*

It's such an immature game, honestly us youths have gotten so stupid. If you know that choking yourself is going to do damage why do it? and if you don't, then think about it.... Choking yourself could do so much damage... If you pass out and hit your head on a table.... you could bleed to death,
Easy Mac
In The Murder Scene
Easy Mac
April 12th, 2008 at 02:40pm
My friend has bragged about playing this game. I just sat their and was listening to her talk about how 'fun' it was.
I don't know why anyone would want to do this
thesharpestminds
Killjoy
thesharpestminds
April 12th, 2008 at 03:30pm
I never heard of anyone I know playing this game. But it's pretty dangerous. And stupid.
Heroes.
Fabulous Killjoy
Heroes.
April 12th, 2008 at 04:28pm
I'm guessing that the kids who do this are ones who got tired of slitting their wrists. They need a temporary "escape" from the real world, so they do this. But for all I know, kids may just do it for fun. I don't really know.
I'm Not Okay90
Fabulous Killjoy
I'm Not Okay90
April 12th, 2008 at 06:54pm
Stupid game. Not worth it.
drink ourselves dry.
Crash Queen
drink ourselves dry.
April 12th, 2008 at 09:21pm
Obviously, it's not a very smart thing to do.
But, I have done it once.
Unfortunately, I did for fun. I admit, I was being stupid.
I'm never trying it again.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
April 12th, 2008 at 09:41pm
my friends did it in the school bathroom once. they got caught though, lol. cos they were meant to be in a class. but yer, its really dangerous.
RedRiot.
Salute You in Your Grave
RedRiot.
April 13th, 2008 at 01:29pm
Okay, we have all agreed that it isn't a good game to par take in.

What are we gonna do to try and stop young people playing it?

I think young people need to be eductaed about the dangers and risks that they are taking if they play this game. They need to learn what could happen if things were to go wrong.
Maybe getting someone who has felt the effects of the game talk to other people about what the game has done to them and how it has effected/changed them.
Marilyn Monroe
Awake and Unafraid
Marilyn Monroe
April 13th, 2008 at 08:59pm
I agree with you Effy, we do need to get someone to talk about it
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
April 14th, 2008 at 10:29am
I agree that it needs to be stressed how dangerous this can be. I have engaged in it a few times, I'm ashamed to say... It's very scary, and I'm not quite sure how it's supposed to be fun. Your vision grays out, you hear an unpleasant buzzing in your ears, and it leaves your entire body tingling in a wholly distressing fashion.

I think it should be stressed, though, how much of a problem it is, and how very, very dangerous it can be. I've been lucky not to have experienced any fallout from it.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
April 14th, 2008 at 10:56am

As everyone else has said, people need to be educated about how serious this is. It would be a very good idea to have people that have done it themselves come into schools and explain why they regret it and what your body is doing whilst you're playing this 'game'. However, I can only see one problem with that. I, myself, did not know about this 'game' so I am sure that a range of others haven't either. Therefore, someone talking to them about it could have the opposite affect and, instead of opening their eyes to the dangers, it could be sparking their curiousity to try it and see exactly what it's like.

I think that schools should hold meetings for parents in which a family memeber of someone who has died through this can come in to the school and inform people what this game is and how you can spot it if it's happening to your child. Also, you can make them aware of quite how dangerous it is.

jonas erik altberg.
Banned
jonas erik altberg.
April 14th, 2008 at 02:17pm
The Shadow:

As everyone else has said, people need to be educated about how serious this is. It would be a very good idea to have people that have done it themselves come into schools and explain why they regret it and what your body is doing whilst you're playing this 'game'. However, I can only see one problem with that. I, myself, did not know about this 'game' so I am sure that a range of others haven't either. Therefore, someone talking to them about it could have the opposite affect and, instead of opening their eyes to the dangers, it could be sparking their curiousity to try it and see exactly what it's like.

I think that schools should hold meetings for parents in which a family memeber of someone who has died through this can come in to the school and inform people what this game is and how you can spot it if it's happening to your child. Also, you can make them aware of quite how dangerous it is.

How can you tell if someone's tryed doing it though?
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
April 15th, 2008 at 04:59am

As good old Wikipedia has said, Zacky V, there are a lot of ways before and after to tell if the game has taken place in someone's life (the first post includes a lot of this) and if your child has died from doing this, you may have an idea about where it went wrong. I also meant this to open their eyes as, I'm sure, a lot of parents know very little, if anything at all, about this 'game'.

The parents being informed, really, goes hand-in-hand with students learning about it in schools. The parents can catch the after-math, the students can stop it in their own lives and possibly talk their friends out of doing it.
xxjaimiexx
Killjoy
xxjaimiexx
April 25th, 2008 at 11:42am
i dont agree with this game at all...
i have never played it but i have heard about people who have and have died because of it....
i dont think that i will ever play this game and put my life in jeporday because some one pushes me up againts a wall and chokes me until i pass out.