Don't have an account? Create one!

The Choking Game

AuthorMessage
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
February 1st, 2010 at 10:10am
I know that cutting oneself leads to a release of certain chemicals which, over time, can create an addiction, therefore an addiction to self-injury. As for other stuff, no idea. Didn't think depriving yourself of oxygen was addictive.

I hope the whole "self harm is addictive" thing isn't used as a mantra when it isn't even true in some cases. that would just be silly.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 1st, 2010 at 10:19am

Personally I haven't really gotten too involved in the self-harm thread because I don't feel I know enough about it and I don't particularly understand it.

But however, I do know about the Choking Game! When there is pressure on the neck it restricts blood flow (and therefore oxygen). After a couple seconds the person will start to feel dizzy, tingly and may even pass out.
When the belt/restricting tool is taken away the blood will flow back, and with it oxygen. This gives the person a type of 'high'. It's really appealing for teenagers because it means they can get a 'high' without having to get hold of drugs or alcohol.

I'll admit that I did the choking game once. My vision started to get clouded out with sharp white mist, the music playing started to drown out and I nearly collapsed. Yes, I got the 'high' but the absolute terror from the seconds before this scared me into never doing it again.
Lights
Salute You in Your Grave
Lights
February 4th, 2010 at 12:08am
I remember my friends/peers doing this in middle school.
I was honestly too terrified to do it with any of them, but I do think half of them were faking the part they "fainted".
This is definitely still something I would never want to experiment with, because I don't like the idea of being unconscious.

I can understand why some people do it, because the light-headed feeling makes some feel great, but it's just not something I've ever been fond of.
I do remember reading an article in a magazine about a teenager who died while trying to do this on their own with a rope or something, and it persuaded me even more thoroughly that it wasn't something I wanted to try.
yoseob.
Bleeding on the Floor
yoseob.
April 26th, 2010 at 02:39am
People have started it in my school; they crouch down the ground, make themselves hyperventilate, then stand up, stick their thumb in their mouth, and blow out. It causes your lungs to temporarily stop working, the blood to rush to your head, and you pass out.

Personally, I would never do it, I'd prefer to live.
helenk579
Killjoy
helenk579
June 12th, 2010 at 03:39am
Lovesick Melody.:

Hmm....

Well I admit I have done this.

I got a bandana and got someone to push it against my throat while I was up against a wall, and let me tell you it was scary.
Like the music that was playing faded out, my legs just shook so bad, I thought I was going to just collapse and everything went white. I did not completely fall unconscious, but I was near to it.

I haven't done it since, but it was still a scary experience.

I think education is a good tactic to help prevent this sort of thing. Maybe in a subject like health they should briefly touch down on it, so that everyone is aware about it.

Trust me, it was so scary that I am never doing it again.

I also think so.

Go fuck yourself
June 12th, 2010 at 05:27pm
Each time you deprive your brain of oxygen to the piont of passing out, your killing hundreds of brain cells.

When I was in 8th grade and did alot of stupid stuff I convinced my friends to let me play with them. They were hesitant since I have such bad asthma. Instead of having an asthma attack, I had a seizure.

If I had been playing this alone and tied a belt around my throat with the other end tied to the doorknob I would have died. The kids that die from the choking game play alone and once they pass out, there's no way to losen the object and they continue to go without oxygen. I'm not saying you should only play this with others, your still damaging yourself. There's so many better things to do, ways to actually have real fun and ways for kids to hang out with each other without killing brain cells.
LostInWonderland
Killjoy
LostInWonderland
June 13th, 2010 at 01:08am
The biggest appeal is, obviously, the high. I think this game is most popular in middle school (at least, I haven't heard of it since I got to high school). And middle school is the worst time for bad things like this to circulate, because everyone's so insecure and they're trying to establish the pecking order that will last through high school. So people will do anything to fit in, including playing stupid games. Peer pressure. And then there's the fact that middle school is the first time you're exposed to the idea of drugs (at least, it's the first time I ever heard of it, besides in stupid school presentations where they brainwash 8 year olds). So the prospect of a cheap (an more importantly, an accessible) high is enticing, purely because it's uncharted territory. There aren't many drug dealers on middle school campuses, so this is the next best thing. Being high, even if only for a couple seconds, makes them feel cool. No research to back this up, just what was going through my head when I was there. And my amateur psychoanalysis of the friend that showed me.

Personally, I find it terrifying. The panic of not being able to breathe far outweighs any potential benefits. Not something I'll try again.

I like the idea of informing kids who show the signs of playing the game. Although the signs sound like they would only show up if the kid was really into it, not just experimenting and messing around, and catching it when it's in those early stages would really be better, before it becomes an addiction. So maybe put it as a footnote in a Health textbook, but don't make such a big deal out of it that people get curious...
HeartacheToSingxo
Killjoy
HeartacheToSingxo
July 24th, 2010 at 09:05pm
i don't understand how risking your life is considered a game. it's just stupidity in my opinion, and if people are playing this "game" to be cool and don't know the consequences, they need to be educated.
xxizzyrossxx
Killjoy
xxizzyrossxx
September 7th, 2010 at 07:55am
Ive played the chocking game before in class its just something we do when we get boared.it makes feel detached from our selfs its kinda cooo.but yeah we should inforce it,what if someone practics to long?
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
September 7th, 2010 at 07:53pm
xxizzyrossxx:
Ive played the chocking game before in class its just something we do when we get boared.it makes feel detached from our selfs its kinda cooo.but yeah we should inforce it,what if someone practics to long?
just saying: when you're dead because of it, i don't think it will be "kinda cool" to anybody and i'm sure nobody will find it "kinda cool" for a very long time after that. the high because you're bored isn't worth the risk of dying, brain damage, etc. you're in school, ffs, go to the library or something if you're that bored where you have to put your life at risk because you're bored.

in my opinion, there should be some sort of punishment if someone is caught "playing" this game in class for the sake of deterring students from playing this in school. i understand it's not just in school, but it looks like it (surprisingly) happens more while in classes than anything...
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
September 7th, 2010 at 08:50pm
^ yeah most stories I've heard about it happened at school.

There's alot of variation to this. One is the person holding thier breathe on a roller coaster, such as holding your breathe while you get loaded in and as you ascend. So from a combination of the lack of oxygens and the force being applied to their body they pass out. This presents serious damage to the neck, brain etc. And honestly for what?

If it's so "cool" go explain that to the grieving family of the kid who decided he was bored so he played the Choking Game by himself. Or explain how entertaining it is to the kid now stuck in a wheelchair because he decided to try it on a roller coaster and was simply tossed around against the rideseats.
Paint It Black
Bulletproof Heart
Paint It Black
September 28th, 2010 at 02:46pm
Some kids played the choking game during recess at my sister's school last semester. One guy passed out for so long that they had to call the ambulance and take him to the hospital. I think he turned out okay, but nevertheless the teachers decided to inform every class about what happened to prevent it from happening again.

I think it's completely mad to do things like this, to play games that can harm you for the rest of your life. I don't understand how it can be considered to be cool, but sadly that's what many young people think.

I think it's a good thing that the teachers at my sister's school took this seriously and decided to do something about it.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
September 28th, 2010 at 07:06pm
^ Same reason people use drugs, I think. To fit in, to get high, to escape etc. Only, I think there's a perception that the choking game is safer.
Asdfghjkl;
Killjoy
Asdfghjkl;
October 16th, 2010 at 01:14pm
My friend did something like this ...
We were in science, and she was trying to make her face go red (just to show off I think) and she eventually fainted. Not a good thing to try!
(Sorry, I know this isn't entirely right the subject, but its close to it XD)
Marilyn Monroe
Awake and Unafraid
Marilyn Monroe
October 22nd, 2010 at 05:34am
I wish I knew more about this so I could comment better.
It seems like such a pointless waste of brain cells for a short high. But then again, there's also autoasphixiation (sorry, not the best speller) because people get aroused from the idea and practice of being strangled.
But when you're chocking to the point of passing out, that's extreme, and not beneficial at all.
Just on a side note, I'm from Australia, and before reading this forum, I've never even heard of the choking game, maybe my school's different from the rest but I don't think anyone has done it here.