Don't have an account? Create one!

Privacy of Photos on the Internet

AuthorMessage
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
April 7th, 2009 at 02:26pm
frank iero!:

well, i think that when people upload any type of pictures, they already know that, as much as it would be nice to ask permission,
many people aren't going to, and they're kinda letting themselves in for it. if they are that bothered about people taking their photos,
they shouldn't upload them. or they could even use Paint to put their name in the corner, it's not exactly hard.

reposters should ask permission, yes. but they don't, and in all honesty, i don't think that's going to change.
but the people the pictures are of often don't even know it's getting uploaded or that picture even exsist, so really what are they suppose to do about it when they become the new laughing stock of the internet?
jules
Bleeding on the Floor
jules
April 8th, 2009 at 09:37am
Just like the pics of Pregnant Lin -- based on many of the comments, apparently she should stay home or hide the fact she is pregnant, because it is the right of every MCR or MSI fan to take a picture or freeze frame a video of the baby bump.
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
April 8th, 2009 at 01:34pm
jules:
That wasn't even remotely the question. Yup you can, but you can also share a picture with your family and friends on facebook and myspace.

If you don't want someone else to take it, don't.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
April 8th, 2009 at 02:01pm

I understand the view that there is a certain amount of 'free game' when I picture is posted onto the internet, however, how would you like it if you knew you couldn't put a picture of your friends or family up on Facebook because it may be stolen?

If photos are displayed on a private profile, in my eyes, it most definately is not fair game. A picture documents a memory and that memory should be displayed in whatever way seen fit for the person who it belongs to. I don't understand why someone would want an image of the band at home with families when it's not a moment they have shared, it holds no value to them.

I certainly know that if someone saved images of personal times with me or friends taken directly from a private social networking account, I would not be best pleased, celebrity or otherwise. Yes, it does come with the teritory but you should expect others to know the line and respect that.
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
April 9th, 2009 at 07:19am
jarvis cocker.:

how would you like it if you knew you couldn't put a picture of your friends or family up on Facebook because it may be stolen?

I don't put pictures of my friends and family on Bebo or MySpace (I don't have Facebook). Friends occasionally, but with their permission, and they're usually on their own pages anyway.
I don't understand why people feel the need to post their lives on the internet.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
April 9th, 2009 at 07:34am
^^ For someone like me, who has friends and family all over the country and in other countries as well, sites like MySpace and Facebook have been a huge blessing, because now I can post things to share with everyone all at once. If I go to a convention and take pictures that I want to share, before I had to go and make as many copies of that picture as I needed to send to everyone, sit and write a note with it, address the envelope, purchase stamps (and int'l rates are INSANELY expensive!) and mail them. Now, I can put the info on my page and my family and friends can read it at their leisure, and it saves me SO much time and money. I don't do it for notoriety or fame, I just do it to keep in touch with people I care about. Unfortunately people seem to think that the photos posted there for the celebs to share with their family and friends is fair game, and that's where this conversation is going.

Just because someone posted something to share with one person, it doesn't mean they want it shared with the entire world. My belief is that what they want released they will release themselves or send through a publicist. Everything else is their private property, and should be treated as such.
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
April 9th, 2009 at 09:15am
^^ You can send them through e-mail.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
April 9th, 2009 at 10:00am
Decimated Stars:
frank iero!:

but the people the pictures are of often don't even know it's getting uploaded or that picture even exsist, so really what are they suppose to do about it when they become the new laughing stock of the internet?

i've had it happen to me, it's not nice, sure.
drunken moments of stupidity and photos from my obese childhood, mainly.
you can't really do anything about it.
it sounds harsh, but if it was someone you know who posted it,
the only thing you can really do is get new friends and move on.
you can get the site moderators to take it down, but for all you know people have saved it.
and you can't go through every computer in the world deleting every copy.

once it's out there, it's out there.
i sound like a bitch, but i'm really not, lol.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 10th, 2009 at 12:52am
tabitha:
Just because someone posted something to share with one person, it doesn't mean they want it shared with the entire world. My belief is that what they want released they will release themselves or send through a publicist. Everything else is their private property, and should be treated as such.
But thinking of it realistically, a lot of people on the Internet are idiots who won't respect other people's privacy. This kind of thing is really hard to govern, and it's unrealistic to think that people will just respect you on the Internet, or keep your wishes of not spreading a picture 'round. Some people - normal, everyday people - hack other people's myspace / facebook etc. accounts just because they can get away with it on the Internet. The Internet - because of it's mainly anonymous nature - can make people do things behind a screen the wouldn't normally do 'in real life'. I bet most people who steal other's pictures on the Internet wouldn't break into someone's home and steal photographs. But on the Internet it's different, it's easier. I'm not saying it's right, but to just expect people will respect your right to privacy on the Internet is being really naive, I think.

jules
Bleeding on the Floor
jules
April 10th, 2009 at 07:55am
I don't think anyone is being naive, I think we all get that there are internet asshats that have taken the stance that everything is free game. The internet has turned into this mass orgy of crap because of the exact attitude you descibed - everyone is anon, you wouldn't say half of what you wrote online to someone's face, and for some reason, there is is culture of unwarranted, snarky comments that even the most evil of high school girls wouldn't say outloud.

These guys get some god awful comments and stupid fan behavior "in real life." But I have never understood why they have been choosen, G.Way especially, to be so maligned on the net. Would you ever walk up to Gerard and Mikey and suggest that they are having an incestous relationship? How about to Frank and Gerard? Would you ever point blank tell Gerard that although you have never met him before and don't know anything about him other than what you got from the internet you believe he 1) is bisexual, homosexual or sleeps with squids or 2) a drug addict who isn't in recovery because you heard it from your friend who read on buzznet that someone in the Used said it.

But I digress,

Just Steph - we get that we can send them through email and all the other, but the issue isn't that. Why can't I use my myspace or facebook that is set on private, that I have been told by the company is protected, that I have only invited friends or family on to post pictures without seeing them everywhere?
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
April 10th, 2009 at 09:57am
Just Steph...:

The difference is, for me, social networking sites provide a place for pictures to be stored, displayed to friends and family and, ultimately, saved. If my computer breaks, the images uploaded on there are lost. Images are somewhat 'safer' from being deleted when stored in such a way.

Just because the option is there to take something of someone elses (for example, a private photo of the band), doesn't mean it should be done.
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
April 10th, 2009 at 01:21pm
jules:
Just Steph - we get that we can send them through email and all the other, but the issue isn't that. Why can't I use my myspace or facebook that is set on private, that I have been told by the company is protected, that I have only invited friends or family on to post pictures without seeing them everywhere?

Because people will always be able to get round such things. The privacy thing will only keep out your average joe. There is no way to keep something completely private on the internet. it's impossible. That's just something no one seems to get.

jarvis cocker.:
Just Steph...:

The difference is, for me, social networking sites provide a place for pictures to be stored, displayed to friends and family and, ultimately, saved. If my computer breaks, the images uploaded on there are lost. Images are somewhat 'safer' from being deleted when stored in such a way.

Just because the option is there to take something of someone elses (for example, a private photo of the band), doesn't mean it should be done.

You can back things up on memory sticks or CD-RW.
I'm not saying that it should be done, i'm only saying that it is pretty inevitavble that it will. It's the internet, it's available round the world. At least one other person out of the 6billion on Earth is going to save that photo. There's nothing you can do about it. If you don't want it stolen, don't upload it on the internet.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
April 10th, 2009 at 06:40pm

A lot of social network sites have an option to keep the pictures ~just for yourself, not even your friends, nowadays,
if you're just looking for a convenient storage place without the photos actually being shared.
just saying. :]
deafening_silence
Thinking Happy Thoughts
deafening_silence
April 11th, 2009 at 01:11pm
Just Steph... it sound like you want to blame the poster instead of the thief. if i see my next door neighbor bring into their house, a gaming system. then i got into their house, unknown to them, steal their stuff, get caught doing so, i should be able to get off because it was their fault i saw what they had? it's their fault they didnt hide their stuff well enough? that doesn't make sense.

and the anonymity issue. i agree, that behind a screen, people are capable of some of the worst behavior they would never normally do in their life. but, that still doesnt excuse their behavior.
i'll quote Deb:
"I stand on the position that just because something CAN be done or said doesn't mean it SHOULD be. People need to use their own discretion before taking any action - they shouldn't need a law to prevent them from doing something questionable."
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
April 11th, 2009 at 01:32pm
I've already said that I don't think it should be done, only that it will. It's naieve to think anything is private on the internet. It's impossible, and it always will be. People need to accept that.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
April 11th, 2009 at 02:30pm
frank iero!:

i've had it happen to me, it's not nice, sure.
drunken moments of stupidity and photos from my obese childhood, mainly.
you can't really do anything about it.
it sounds harsh, but if it was someone you know who posted it,
the only thing you can really do is get new friends and move on.
you can get the site moderators to take it down, but for all you know people have saved it.
and you can't go through every computer in the world deleting every copy.

once it's out there, it's out there.
i sound like a bitch, but i'm really not, lol.
sometimes its not even friends, just a radnom stranger or whatever. And obviously you can't go through deleting every picture and some pictures are just a good joke, but thats kinda what the whole thing is, there really is very little privacy now-a-days and its appauling in some paparzzi cases, like when Nadia Suleman brought home the first of the octopulets to be discharged, the paparzzi attacked her car with her babies inside it. Shouldn't there be some line that people just can't cross just for a picture?
The Original Bob.
Demolition Lover
The Original Bob.
April 11th, 2009 at 05:06pm
I agree with Just Steph.... Especially if you are a celebrity, you should know that people will take the pictures and spread them.

I do not agree with Deafening Silence comparing it to buying a game system and bringing it into your house. it's more like buying a game system and storing it on your lawn, expecting all your neighbors to just leave it there.

It's. Not. Going.To. Happen.

If you post pictures of yourself on the internet, they are now in the public domain. PUBLIC. They are now out there, and you have no control over what happens to them. It'd be nice if we all left them alone, but it's not likely.

If you're that concerned about privacy, don't post pictures you don't want the whole world to see - and save. Cause they will. And you really can't blame them.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
April 11th, 2009 at 06:09pm
An interesting question..... who does the image belong to? The person who took the photograph or the person in the photo?

I think your view on that has a huge bearing on this whole issue.
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
April 12th, 2009 at 06:39am
Actually, that's a good question.
I really don't know what I think.
I guess, the person in the photo, because surely it should be up to them what happens to their picture?
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
April 12th, 2009 at 07:27am
But what about photographers rights? Photography is an art form, surely the photographer has rights over the image they have created.