Don't have an account? Create one!

Privacy of Photos on the Internet

AuthorMessage
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 9th, 2009 at 04:01pm
dee dee ramone.:
Celebrities have basically no privacy as it is - if a picture of them is up on the internet, it will get copied or saved to millions of people's desktops. With any kind of pictures, once they're on the internet, it's basically fair game for anyone with access. There's not much that can be done.

But should they be fair game?
dee dee ramone.
Always Born a Crime
dee dee ramone.
June 9th, 2009 at 04:47pm
questionable content:
dee dee ramone.:
Celebrities have basically no privacy as it is - if a picture of them is up on the internet, it will get copied or saved to millions of people's desktops. With any kind of pictures, once they're on the internet, it's basically fair game for anyone with access. There's not much that can be done.

But should they be fair game?

Quite frankly if you upload something to the internet, you should be prepared for your images to be taken. If there were pictures of me I didn't want on the internet, I wouldn't.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 9th, 2009 at 09:11pm
^ But what if they were, say, privately emailed pictures? Would they still be fair game just because they were sent through the internet?
Now, I agree with you about if it's on a public site, then yes, I think it is fair game and the owners of the photographs should be prepared. But what do you think about it in other situations?
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 10th, 2009 at 08:03am
If it was a private email to a friend, I dont think the public would get to see it anyway..

Unless they hacked there emails or something, which is illegal anyway.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 10th, 2009 at 05:09pm
^ Judging from the sheer number of private celebrity photos out there, I think there is a good chance that photos could get leaked.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 10th, 2009 at 05:56pm
^^ Alot of "leaked" photos are actually purposly leaked, it'd be impossible to seperate the actual leaked ones from the ones that were elaked for publicity
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 10th, 2009 at 07:31pm
Good point. But still, why would celebrity leak photos, especially private ones, the ones that cause celebrities to complain over not having privacy?
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 10th, 2009 at 08:03pm
Publicity, im guessing?
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 10th, 2009 at 10:16pm
I suppose, but it doesn't make sense. Like, why would someone want to start a scandal just so they could publicly complain about the media and their lack of privacy? Celebrities in particular already have a lot of attention surrounding them, you would think if they're already hounded by paparazzi that they wouldn't want any more.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
June 11th, 2009 at 02:28am
questionable content:
I suppose, but it doesn't make sense. Like, why would someone want to start a scandal just so they could publicly complain about the media and their lack of privacy? Celebrities in particular already have a lot of attention surrounding them, you would think if they're already hounded by paparazzi that they wouldn't want any more.
I think the logic behind leaking is that if they give the public a little something on a regular basis, the papps will hound them less.
Jenny.
Jenny.
June 11th, 2009 at 01:26pm
plus, publicity is good for sales.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 11th, 2009 at 03:35pm
Good point about the publicity, but I don't think the paparazzi would hound them less? Just an example, Britney Spears. I'm not sure if she's had photos leaked, but all the scandals involving her have pretty much made her the paparazzi target.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
June 11th, 2009 at 03:52pm
There is a difference between needing to keep one's name circulating and releasing personal photos to the public so that the press will stop lurking in your bushes.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 11th, 2009 at 04:02pm
But will it really keep them from "lurking in your bushes"? Instead of warding them off, could it just encourage them to take more pictures?
Now, I realize it could very well be what you said, but I don't really understand it.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
June 11th, 2009 at 04:06pm
Britney Spears is a media hypocrite though. She is the first to complain that they paps are hounding her but she also regularly calls them and tells them where she is going to be. She works the media.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
June 11th, 2009 at 04:32pm
Tallulah; Schechter:
Britney Spears is a media hypocrite though. She is the first to complain that they paps are hounding her but she also regularly calls them and tells them where she is going to be. She works the media.

They all do, they have to. I'm just thinking that the decision to release one or two private photos from their personal lives' events is possibly an effort to stay the intrusive behavior of the paparazzi in that aspect. It's one thing to expect and welcome being photographed at an appearance of some sorts (a club opening, an awards show, a benefit, etc.) and quite another to be attempting to walk your children to school at 8:00 in the morning with cameras two inches from your face and your personal space taken up by strange bodies.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
June 11th, 2009 at 05:28pm
The point I'm making is that Britney calls them and says, "I'm taking my kids to school this morning". She brings a lot of that intense scrutiny on herself. She was responsible for that who debacle when she ended up leaving her car in the middle of the road and was surrounded by paps. According to reports Diana, Princess of Wales used to do the same thing. Typical attention seeking behaviour. So many pap photos are actually posed. Lots of pictures of celebs on beaches etc are actually set up, but posed to look like they have been "caught in the act".

I guess posing for Hello Magazine and Ok etc is the way that many celebs feel they are taking control.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 11th, 2009 at 05:39pm
Lyndsay Lohan once made a good quote when she was in her heyday and actually working : "It's not like I ask them to follow me. But you know, it's actually weird when the paparazzi's not there and things aren't being written, because you kind of wonder, Do people not care anymore?"

i dont know if anyone ele sees the relevance, but like while celebrities complain, i dont think that that means they'd change the fact there in the public interest. I beleive that they leak photos sometimes to keep people interested, and not to calm the papparazi down, although that too is a good point.

chainsaws cascading.
In The Murder Scene
chainsaws cascading.
June 11th, 2009 at 06:23pm
in defense of britney, i think it's been proved that she has some sort of mental imbalance
what made it worse was that the whole world was there to winess her breakdown
and the fact that the paparazzi had something to do with it
when you're a celeb, you have absolutely no privacy
and nothing you do is sacred anymore.
the whole world is there to witness

on that note i believe that paparazzi pictures can be okay if you spot a celebryt out for a stroll or something
but if they're at the beach or out at a restaurant or anything else that might be classified as a private time with their friends/family we don't need pictures of that
as mucha s we like them and as great avatars that they make, it's not right
and it's not fair to them
would you like it if pictures of you grocery shopping with no makeup on or something showed up all over the internet?
i don't think you would want it.
and neither do they.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 11th, 2009 at 07:52pm
^ But what's the difference between being photographed (without consent) on a stroll versus grocery shopping?

So basically you guys are saying that releasing photos is sort of an attempt to gain publicity but at the same time reduce paparazzi? I think that makes a lot of sense, but still, it often backfires on the celebrities.