The Death Sentence.

AuthorMessage
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
June 2nd, 2006 at 01:22pm
narin:
We can't throw them all in prison.
That would cost the taxpayers so much money.
Death is just quicker, easier and cheaper.

In 1996 taxpayers spent $933 million to operate the state prisons and an additional $550 million to repair and build more of the infernal places. That's almost a billion and a half of your tax dollars. To you that means about $1900.00 for each adult in the state.

Half way thought the year there officially were 33,939 prisoners captive in the state joints. Do the division and you discover that you spent $43,700.00 a piece to keep state prisoners locked up.
Bloodraine
Jazz Hands
Bloodraine
June 2nd, 2006 at 01:52pm
narin:

You can seriously put a price on life?
nina;
Awake and Unafraid
nina;
June 2nd, 2006 at 01:57pm
Bloodraine:
Yes.
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
June 2nd, 2006 at 01:58pm
Bloodraine:
narin:

I would say Yes, but it depends on the crime. If a man rapes and kills three women, he should die. If a man stole a million dollars from his company, then no.
Bloodraine
Jazz Hands
Bloodraine
June 2nd, 2006 at 02:01pm
narin:
Bloodraine:
Yes.

I'd say thats capitalism gone too far...

You know something? Who ever gave us power to decide who lives and who dies?. I'd like to know that.
nina;
Awake and Unafraid
nina;
June 2nd, 2006 at 02:04pm
Bloodraine:

You know something? Who ever gave us power to decide who lives and who dies?. I'd like to know that.
I said that a couple of pages back.
Who are we to decide who gets to live, and who doesn't.
But seriously. I wouldn't want to see a pedophile on the
streets. And I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay for them
to live in prison either.
Bloodraine
Jazz Hands
Bloodraine
June 2nd, 2006 at 02:08pm
narin:
Bloodraine:

I said that a couple of pages back.
Who are we to decide who gets to live, and who doesn't.
But seriously. I wouldn't want to see a pedophile on the
streets. And I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay for them
to live in prison either.

So, we kill someone for being a paedophile?

Like I said, that isn't even an eye for an eye any more. Thats like back when we used to hang kids for stealing apples.
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
June 2nd, 2006 at 02:10pm
Bloodraine:
Thats like back when we used to hang kids for stealing apples.

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Where do you live, where they used to hang kids for stealing apples!? Shocked Shocked

But anyhow, I do agree with Narin. When it comes to horrible crimes, like pedophilism, rape and murder, I do believe it's better to kill the guy instead of having him sit in a prison cell for the rest of his life.
Bloodraine
Jazz Hands
Bloodraine
June 2nd, 2006 at 02:18pm
Yara:
Bloodraine:
Thats like back when we used to hang kids for stealing apples.

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Where do you live, where they used to hang kids for stealing apples!? Shocked Shocked

But anyhow, I do agree with Narin. When it comes to horrible crimes, like pedophilism, rape and murder, I do believe it's better to kill the guy instead of having him sit in a prison cell for the rest of his life.

Britain. In the Elizebethan era, this was way back in the 1500's. In my old history text book there was documentation of a peasant boy being hung after stealing apples from Greenwich Market.

The point is; I can see the reasoning from saying 'eye for an eye' if you kill a person, even though I don't agree with the death pentalty anyway, I still understand it. And of course, you're only wanting to be cost-efficient, which is probably the right way to go about something but I really can't sanction killing people, least of all when they haven't actually murdered anybody in return.
Caution! Toxic!
Shotgun Sinner
Caution! Toxic!
June 2nd, 2006 at 02:20pm
Yara:
Shocked Shocked Shocked
In England, a very long time ago, you could be hung for stealing anything, even if it was just an apple. There was also no limit on how old you were so little children were sometimes hung for stealing. It was either that or deportation. This mainly happened when they were trying to build the colonies so anywhere up until 1800ish. As I said, a long time ago.
LouderNow
Really Not Okay
LouderNow
June 2nd, 2006 at 02:29pm
Bloodraine:
choxie<3:
Im for it.
You take someones life, the law should take yours.

And what if you get a wrong conviction?
What do we do then?
Execute the person who executed an innocent man?

Vicious cycle.

There is too much death and too many atrocities in the wrold to be infliciting more upon others like a bunch of pig headed cavemen would.

I mean, when its obvious and the evidence really does point the finger at you, or you admit to it, the law should take you life.
Midnight
Killjoy
Midnight
June 2nd, 2006 at 09:14pm
Yara:
Ok, imagine this.

You come home from school one day, and your dad is in the livingroom with two officers. He's crying.
He tells you that your mother has been brutally raped and murdered.
The officers arrested the guy who did it, and they're letting YOU decide what to do with him.

What do you do? Wouldn't you want this criminal to die?

no, i wouldnt want him to die, i would want him to suffer for what he did..make his life a living hell! dying is the easy way out, if he dies he wouldnt have to suffer, he wouldnt have to think about what he did anything, so know he shouldnt die, he should suffer hell for what he did.
Happy in the rain
Salute You in Your Grave
Happy in the rain
June 7th, 2006 at 04:45pm
I had to do an english report on this once. It was weird. In some situations, the death penalty seems reasonble. But in some it seems crazy. It really depends how bad the crime is.
Aishwarya in town
Awake and Unafraid
Aishwarya in town
June 8th, 2006 at 03:05am
So, I'm for it because:

A. You can't keep a prisoner in forever. Like Narin said earlier, I wouldn't want a pedophile on the street, near children. In a lot of ways, the death sentence is safer.

B. Money, money, money.

However, I do think they should spend thirty days on a man, making sure he is the guilty one. After that, if he is the most likely suspect, he should die.
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
June 8th, 2006 at 04:19am
Trisha[Bandit]:
Aren't life sentences actually like 20 years?

Yes, but you can also get natural life, which is exactly that: the remainder of your natural life.
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
June 8th, 2006 at 04:25am
Yara:
Ok, imagine this.

You come home from school one day, and your dad is in the livingroom with two officers. He's crying.
He tells you that your mother has been brutally raped and murdered.
The officers arrested the guy who did it, and they're letting YOU decide what to do with him.

What do you do? Wouldn't you want this criminal to die?

But imagine this.

You come home from school one day and your dad is in the living room with two officers. He's crying.
They tell you that he is the main suspect in a murder inquiry. They take him away. All the evidence points to him. He is sentenced to death.
He didn't do it.

How would you feel then? And don't tell me it doesn't happen, because it blatently does.
Aishwarya in town
Awake and Unafraid
Aishwarya in town
June 8th, 2006 at 06:25pm
Mud:
But imagine this.
You come home from school one day and your dad is in the living room with two officers. He's crying.
They tell you that he is the main suspect in a murder inquiry. They take him away. All the evidence points to him. He is sentenced to death.
He didn't do it.

How would you feel then? And don't tell me it doesn't happen, because it blatently does.
His lawyer ought to find some piece of evidence that shows he's not the murderer.
LouderNow
Really Not Okay
LouderNow
June 8th, 2006 at 06:56pm
Question: What happens if someone killed 30 people, and was sentanced to death, gets his sentance, and then later the law finds out who really kill the 30 people, and the person who got the death penalty was innocent? What happens after that, in terms of feeling sorry for the family of the innocent "criminal"?
Aishwarya in town
Awake and Unafraid
Aishwarya in town
June 8th, 2006 at 07:00pm
choxie<3:
Question: What happens if someone killed 30 people, and was sentanced to death, gets his sentance, and then later the law finds out who really kill the 30 people, and the person who got the death penalty was innocent? What happens after that, in terms of feeling sorry for the family of the innocent "criminal"?
I imagine they give them a letter of apology, and some money.
teh Paigerzzz!
Fabulous Killjoy
teh Paigerzzz!
June 8th, 2006 at 07:27pm
I'm all for the death sentence. Actually, I don't think our governement today uses it enough. People get away with the most horrible crimes sometimes... It disgusts me.