Don't have an account? Create one!

Drunk Driving.

AuthorMessage
Nikki.
Awake and Unafraid
Nikki.
June 17th, 2006 at 07:35pm
Do you think of drunk driving as murder? Why or why not?

I don't think you could classify it as 1st degree murder, because you're not literally going "HEY ILL GO DRUNK DRIVING AND KILL SOMEONE WHEE". HOWEVER, you DO know your limits and you DO know you shouldn't drive while alcohol is in your body. I think it can count as second degree murder, or maybe third.

What do you think?
teh Paigerzzz!
Fabulous Killjoy
teh Paigerzzz!
June 17th, 2006 at 08:55pm
I think that it is VERY VERY BAD. I guess it is murder in a way, but I usually consider murder something planned... But it is definately manslaughter, and I think people should be harshly punished for killing someone while driving drunk.
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
June 17th, 2006 at 09:06pm
I cant remember which degree man slaughter is, but thats what I would classify drunk driving murders as. The drunk driver doesnt get in a car, planning to kill somebody, it just happens. But if the driver's BAC isnt that high and they arent overly intoxicated, then it isnt man slaughter because they couldve prevented the murder.
Aishwarya in town
Awake and Unafraid
Aishwarya in town
June 17th, 2006 at 10:45pm
I don't think any murder where alcohol is involved (well, depending on the quantity) is murder.
However, it shouldn't go unpunished.
juggalette4204lyfe
Joining The Black Parade
juggalette4204lyfe
July 9th, 2006 at 07:47pm
I believe it to be murder. Even though the person is not thinking "Yes, let's go kill someone tonight because I'm driving drunk." they take the chance to get behind that wheel and put everyone else at risk. They are doing these things without thinking conciously and I believe they should be punished for their own actions. I was watching Dateline NBC tonight (well I still am watching it) but they did a segment on drunk driving and New Mexico has required by law for all people caught driving drunk (even if it is a first time offense) to buy and install this thing called "Ignition Lock" in their cars. Before they go anywhere they have to blow in this thing to get their blood alcohol level and if they do not pass ... the ignition will not turn over meaning the car won't start and they are forced to find alternative ways to get where they want to go. I believe that is a good movement towards preventing drunk driving and I think other states should consider doing this. I would greatly appreciate it if it became legalized in North Dakota (USA), however many of the people out there would not like it. But the Ignition Lock was proven to reduce drunk drivers up to seventy five percent. That's a lot of live we could be saving. I do my best to keep my friends and father from drunkg driving, but I don't know everyone in the world so I can't do much sitting here at home. I think more states should consider this Ignition Lock thing though. It could turn around all these drunk driving accidents.
black dahlia
Salute You in Your Grave
black dahlia
July 9th, 2006 at 08:34pm
Sippin Dat Emo Juice:
I cant remember which degree man slaughter is.

It's 2nd degree
Victoria in Transit
In The Murder Scene
Victoria in Transit
July 9th, 2006 at 10:03pm
I think that if you have poor judgment enough to get behind a wheel while drunk you should be punished as a murder.
miss girl.
Banned
miss girl.
July 10th, 2006 at 12:53pm
Its not really murder. you dont plan on killing someone. its accidental. but you should get arrested for it, cause an innocent life taken away cause you cant control your drinking is wrong. it could be considered manslaughter anyway, its still killing someone cause of your actions.
gia
Bleeding on the Floor
gia
July 10th, 2006 at 03:30pm
It can't be considered murder, because you don't do it intentionally and , because you are drunk, you can't be considered completely responsable for your acts. When you get behind the wheel drunk, you are not completely aware of what you are doing and what the consequences of your actions might be because your judgement is blurred by alcohol.

And speaking of drunk driving, this is the translation of an e-mail I've received as part of a campaign against drunk driving. These are the last words of a young woman, addressed to her mother, written down by a journalist who was near her. The journalist started the campaign:

Mom, I went out with some friends. We went to a party and I remembered what you told me:"Never drink and drive".
You asked me not to drink alcohol, so I had a Sprite. I was so proud of myself that I listened to your advice, although my friends told me the exact opposite of your words....I made a healthy choice and your advice was a good one.
When the party was over, the poeple left, driving although they were in no condition to do so. I drove my car, knowing that I was in shape. How could I have imagined, mom, that something so unexpected would happen?
Now I'm here, on the road, listening to a cop saying: "The boy who caused the accident was drunk". Mom, his voice seems so far away....
My blood is all over the place and I'm trying my best not to cry. I hear the doctors talking: "This girl is not going to make it"
I'm sure that the boy driving the other car never thought....while driving full speed..........But he decided to drink and now I have to die....
Mom, why do people do these things? Knowing that they can destroy other lives?
I feel the pain like a million daggers stabbing me at the same time.
Tell my sister not to be afraid, tell dad to be strong.
Someone should have told that boy that he shouldn't drive after drinking alcohol. Maybe if his parents had told him this, now i wouldn't be dying.
My breathing is getting weaker and I'm starting to be afraid. These are my last moments and I feel so....desperate.
I'd love to hug you one more time, mom, but I'm here, lying on the concrete, dying.
I'd love to tell you I love you. For this........I love you....and........goodbye
Hip -Like Badass-
Salute You in Your Grave
Hip -Like Badass-
July 11th, 2006 at 05:15pm
I don't think that it's murder, per say (sp). It could be considered man slaughter, because driving while drunk is incredibly stupid. and that post above me makes me want to cry. It's true.

But driving drunk isn't murder, becuase, as Amor Vincit Nikki said, it's not like you decide to drive drunk and kill someone.

that prolly made no sense because I'm thinking like a mile a minute and I'm just writing what comes to my head, but hopefull you'll get the jist of what I'm saying.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
July 11th, 2006 at 05:28pm
Murder is defined as "the unlawful killing of another human".
Therefore drunk-driving should come under the heading of murder. You might not be thinking about killing someone, but you could do.

And we've all seen the advertisements on TV and in magazines showing what happens if you get behind the wheel of a car, even if you've only had one drink.

One unit of alcohol (half a pint/one measure of a spirit) takes just over an hour to get out of your body, but it starts to affect you only minutes after drinking it.

Rather stupid to take the risk of killing someone, tearing apart families or hurting yourself because of one drink doesn't it?
miss girl.
Banned
miss girl.
July 12th, 2006 at 02:09pm
gia, agood friend of mine sent me that same email. i almost cried (i dont cry in front of people) because its so true. drunk driving is wrong. even if you are a little drunk, its still drunk driving and you should be arrested for it.
chillpill
Always Born a Crime
chillpill
July 12th, 2006 at 02:16pm
My parents were in a car crash because of a drunk driver. He didn't stop at a red light, so he hit my mom's side of the car.

I'm going to be in a documentary/educational film about a party for a sixteen year-old and when they run out of beer (the parents provided the keg of beer, thinking if they serve the beer at their home their being responsible enough), two drunk boys get into their car and go after more. Sadly, they run into a tree.

What Do I think about drunk driving?

Well, if people want to go and run the risk of killing themselves and/or others, it's their decision.

It's not a very good decision, but they make that choice.
lanee.
In The Murder Scene
lanee.
July 13th, 2006 at 09:51am
My family is quite strict on drunk driving. My mom's mother (My grandmother) died when my mom was 6, because she was hit by a drunk driver in her car.

I, personally, do not think there is anything wrong with drinking... but I have a really strong opinion on driving while drunk. If you're stupid (yes, stupid) enough to drink and drive, it's not only you that could pay a consequence for driving drunk. I think people should think about that, before they drink and drive... just so they won't have the guilt of someone's life hanging over their shoulders.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
July 16th, 2006 at 06:05am
Drink driving is a huge issue in Australia, as I'm sure it is elsewhere.

I think Victoria said something similar above, but if you're stupid enough to get behind a wheel while drunk, you should be punished as a murder.

A drink driver knows that they might kill someone. It might be themselves, a fellow passenger, or someone in another car. Yet, they continue to drive drunk, and then it can result in death.

It's a disgusting and selfish crime, to me, and I have absolutely ZERO respect for anyone who'd even considering drink driving.
MommysLittleMonster
Thinking Happy Thoughts
MommysLittleMonster
July 16th, 2006 at 10:58pm
i say if you want to screw up your life and possibly kill someone that's your fault, not the alcohol. before you even drink you should know that you need someone to drive you home, deciding not to get a designated driver only means you don't give a shit about how you could screw up the lives of someone. and what better way to learn this lesson but by either a.being wrapped around a telephone pole, either dead or partially paralyzed, b.being beaten down by the cops because your in a drunken rage because they want you to turn down the AC-DC that is blarring on the stereo, or c. (my least favorite) they end up on some old guy's lawn past out in their veggie garden. but at least this gives them a chance to try again next time.

i sound like such an ass, but i have some experience with this when my uncle killed my non-related aunt and her unborn child while he was drunk. i hate him so much and i really wish he was the one who got wrapped around the telephone instead of her...
ilovegfmbr
Killjoy
ilovegfmbr
August 20th, 2006 at 02:35am
If you are going to be drinking, its as simple as having cab fare. It really can't get any simpler.
If there were a way for a drunk driver to never "accidently' kill another being, then fine...as long as he/she is the one to be killed. It is wrong to take the lives of others into your own hands just because you wanted to party. I want to know that when I am in my car with my kids -sober- that we will reach our destination unharmed.
accidents happen, its unfortunate, but true, however carkeys and booze is no accident.
You.Catch.On.Quick.
Killjoy
You.Catch.On.Quick.
August 27th, 2006 at 07:29pm
Nikki: Supernova.:

I don't think you could classify it as 1st degree murder, because you're not literally going "HEY ILL GO DRUNK DRIVING AND KILL SOMEONE WHEE". HOWEVER, you DO know your limits and you DO know you shouldn't drive while alcohol is in your body. I think it can count as second degree murder, or maybe third.

What do you think?

I agree but I have lost my first love not to long ago in a drunk driving accident, and i think who ever drives knowing that they're drunk should know that they could take a life, all around they just shouldn't do it

like gerard said "drinking works for some people it just doesn't work for me"
thats my opinion
Kurtni
Fabulous Killjoy
Kurtni
August 28th, 2006 at 06:22pm
Nikki: Supernova.:

What do you think?

it doesnt matter what you say or do, its still murder. Someone still died because of your actions, and it could have been prevented. If you were responsiable for an accident that killed someone and you were drunk, they were wrongfully killed because of your actions. That is murder and you deserve as much punishment as you could possibly recieve.

If you choose to Get drunk, you have to realize that whatever happens, you're are to be held accountable for. You may not have knew you would drive drunk, but thats no excuse. You made the choice to drive drunk, and now you have to pay the price, although I think you would be getting off extremely easy compared to your victim.
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
August 31st, 2006 at 12:03pm
I wouldn't classify it as murder (or not in the British sense) because you don't specifically do it with the intention of killing someone. However, you must realise that by drink driving you are putting your own life and the lives of others in serious danger, and therefore I would classify it as manslaughter.

Its your responsibility when you're sober to anticipate what you might do when you're drunk. And if you're not sure, don't drink. Don't put yourself in a position where you've got your car and need to get home.

I know in some cities, they have these guys you can call if you realise you're too drunk to drive, but you need to get home and you're with your car. They show up on a fold-up moped-type thing and drive your car home for you, so you don't have to leave your car AND you don't drive drunk. It costs a bit, but not as much as leaving your car where it is and getting taxis home and to get it the next morning. I think thats a great idea as a fallback, but ultimately, I don't think you should put yourself in that position anyway.