Don't have an account? Create one!

Mindless Self Indulgence

AuthorMessage
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
March 17th, 2009 at 04:02pm
Haha, that pic with Jimmy and your dad is priceless. That look on his face says it all.
desert skies.
Shotgun Sinner
desert skies.
March 17th, 2009 at 07:03pm
Haha, thanks guys. Sorry the pictures turned out so huge.
Here's my review, brace yourselves, it's long. But I need to get it all out!

Last night, around quarter after seven, my father, Beth and I had parked behind the Seven Eleven next to Cowboys Ranch, the tiny venue which Mindless Self Indulgence would be rocking. I was surprised to see a line, but thankfully it didn't take long to get in. What hit me first was the sight of all these people with MSI shirts on. I was really happy to see there are more fans in the area. I also quickly noticed that Beth and I were the youngest there, my dad possibly the oldest. Because it was clear there was no one shorter than me, I quickly found the spot on the stairs, above the floor so I could see over all the heads. I've been to this venue once before for Nightwish, but had to kneel on a stool to see. This time around I got a good look at the place. It's basically a bar, with large booths on either side of the floor, which came in handy later in the show.

After getting a good look at the place and the people, my dad making friends with the man in charge of the lights behind me, Velvet Code came on. For those of you who haven't heard their music, I highly recommend them. I was really looking forward to their set. It was clear not too many people had heard of them, but I was still really into it. I bought their CD before they came on, and once they came off and Hollowboy took the stage, my dad took my CD and marched off the the bar where the band was and asked for an autograph. I couldn't go myself, the bar was sectioned off for those underage. He came back with this. Nick is the one who signed with my name, Marlon is the other signature. I then looked up to see Nick had moved from the bar to the other side of the room. I wanted to thank him, so that I did. He was the first musician I've ever approched. It was a big deal for me. He was really sweet though, letting me have a picture: Nick and I.

Hollowboy were on for much longer, and they were alright. But to be honest, by the seventh or eighth song, I just wanted MSI. And it was clear everyone else did too. Once they were done, there was a long wait for MSI. They place started to fill up a little more, there were a lot of "MSI!" chants. Around ten o'clock, the lights went down.

The inrto music came on, and Kitty walked out to her drum set, Steve took the stage, as did the fill-in bassist (whose name I never found out.) Of course, the crowd is all wondering "Where's Jimmy?" My dad was the one who pointed him out, coming from the back of the room, walking along the top of the booths. What an entrance! They started with "Shut me Up", just as I predicted. As of then, the crowd went wild, myself included. I haven't sang, screamed or jumped that much since MCR. By the end of the set, I could feel my voice going.

So, some of Jimmy's antics: He clearly loved the space around the booths for him to walk on. He was always on them. At one point, he was only a booth's distance away from me.

On either side of the room, halfway between the booths, there are two poles. Jimmy decided to pole dance for us.

He also used the name of the venue to his advantage. First he announced that they only write two kinds of music: Country and Western! Then he told the crowd that if there was ever a time to come out of the closet, it would be then because we could come back next week for line dancing and there would be a lot of hot cowboys!

He called himself Hannah Mantanna and annouced that he got the best of both worlds.

He asked us for poutine.

He said Canada was the best country and someone yelled something out, Jimmy misheard it for "I suck eggs!" and said "Must be a Canadian thing."

He walked off the stage to get a drink, brought it back on stage and stummbled around like he was drunk.

Demanded to be spanked and had a fan come up and do just that. I have that on video!

Also on video, I have Jimmy stripping in a "non-sexy way."

Jimmy asked people in the crowd if they would be his friend for a dollar. He then took someone's 20 dollar bill, rubbed his face with it then threw it back, telling a girl to "Give it to everyone!"

Involving more money, Jimmy told us we could rent the stage for 20 dollars. So a girl payed, went up and strummed Steve's guitar. Jimmy said "Not the same as a garage band is it?" and Steve then told her, "Give me my fucking guitar back!" and was kicked off. Someone else asked to go up, Jimmy told them first come, first serve but then noticed they had $20, so he just took it!

During Faggot, we were asked for the ugliest person and the prettiest person to come up. Jimmy told the crowd the blonde girl was going to be on a stripper pole by the end of the night, and the girl with glasses was going to be the one one actually knew the lyrics to the song.

Jimmy wanted to be a princess and asked for make-up. One girl had hand cream, but he threw it back, saying he wanted goth make up. He recieved a fans eyeliner, which he drew on his face with and announced he was "The king of the emos."

Jimmy told us that there are three words that make him happy. Someone yelled "I love you!" but he said that wasn't it. He also said it wasn't "I will blow you," counting on his fingers to find that's four words. He told us it was "Day off tomorrow!" So we chanted that for him.

There was a lot of sticking the microphone down Jimmy's pants. At one piont, he pointed to the top and said "See that, that's the microphone but that," pointing in his pants, "That's my dick!"

Jimmy mooned us three times and pulled his pants down at the end of the show, after "No Business Like Show Business." I have that on video also.

And Steve clearly loved laying on the floor and had a tendancy to pull down the screen behind him.

The show just flew by, and before I knew it, the lights were back on. But I had made it a goal to meet the band, and our lights man told us to stick around inside because the band will come out. After getting high-fives from a random stanger who then started to breakdance, Steve came out with the setlist taped to his face. So off Beth and I went, thanking him for the show and the pictures. He told us to buy a t-shirt and actually seemed surprised when we told him they weren't selling any! Later, Beth found Steve again and gave him a dollar, which he stuck up his nose! Kitty came out next, I had to work hard to squeeze myself up to the barrier to ask her for pictures. She was so sweet, I only wish I had time to talk to her. Next time for sure.

And then Jimmy came out. It took a long time to get to him, my dad was the one who had to push us through. We asked for pictures, but someone held out a CD to sign, so Jimmy said "No, fuck you, this guy paid money!" Then he spotted my dad, reached past my shoulders and put his hand on my dad's shoulder, saying he wanted a picture with him! My dad was clearly terrified. Jimmy looked at me and said "He drove you here right?" to which I replied yes and I took the amazing picture. Then he pulled Beth and I in for a picture. I melted a little when he put his head against mine and then gave me a squeeze before letting go. He told us to have a good night, I said you too.

To sum it all up, it was the best concert I've ever been to. I had the time of my life, and I can only hope that they come back.

mastermind. That's a great birthday present!
Here's the songs they played, not in order except for the first and last two:
Shut me Up
Mastemind
Issues
Evening Wear
Never Wanted To Dance
Perscription
Bomb This Track
Lights Out
On It
Written In Cold Blood
Stupid MF
Bitches
Faggot
Tornado
3S
Straight To Video
No Business Like Show Business
I think that's it.
We Are The Ocean
Salute You in Your Grave
We Are The Ocean
March 18th, 2009 at 12:45pm
I'm glad you had a great time, it sounded awesome!! I love your sig too =) That setlist's like what we had in the UK,
I think we had Tornado instead of Prescription though (?).
desert skies.
Shotgun Sinner
desert skies.
March 18th, 2009 at 01:27pm
^ Thanks : D
Ah, they played Tornado too, thanks for reminding me!
Oh, and 3S.
It's amazing how many songs they play but the show goes by so fast.

Hey guys, here's the video where Jimmy says the quote in my sig. Sorry the quality isn't that great.

You can hear Beth yell "Jimmy, I love you!"
Tehe
starktreks
Devil's Got Your Number
starktreks
March 20th, 2009 at 03:44pm
fucking hell, wow, sweet review man. (:
sounds like you had a sick time, that's awesome.

jimmy poledancing ooooh. (; haha.

gah, i really miss them.
i miss lindsey too. rly badly. <3
desert skies.
Shotgun Sinner
desert skies.
March 20th, 2009 at 06:34pm
Awe, thank you (:
Haha, yeah Jimmy did some crazy shit, what I wrote is probably only half of it. I found a guy who happened to be standing behind Beth the whole night, on youtube who has about 14 videos from the show, and I keep getting reminded of the things that Jimmy and Steve did. Like, Jimmy was always walking around the booths but Steve tried to get up once then gave up xD

Yeah, I miss Lindsey too <3
I wonder if she's going out of her mind not being able to tour.
yelyahwilliams
Tragic With a Capital T
yelyahwilliams
March 20th, 2009 at 06:50pm
yeah i can just imagine her going insane, bless!
glad you had a good time though. bring on msi returning to the UK, with or without Lyn-Z (even though no Lyn, i can imagine being shit!) , i miss them so much.

its been nearly a year since i last saw them
*melts*
tattooed lovers.
Motor Baby
tattooed lovers.
March 20th, 2009 at 06:53pm
oh wow. msi concerts sound like a bundle of fun!
they're gonna be playing a show tomorrow. I'm so excited, I've been wanting to go for a few months. BUT... I don't have a ticket, or definite ride. *crosses fingers!* ...and I'll probably have to get there early for a ticket, righ? (hahaa) do you think it will be sold out? if I get in line at 4:00 and the doors open at 5:00?
but if anyone is going to the concert in MN, let me know. :]
desert skies.
Shotgun Sinner
desert skies.
March 20th, 2009 at 10:04pm
Wow, a year? It's only been four days for me and I already miss them D:

^ Hey *crosses fingers for you* I hope you can go! Yeah, you'll probably want to get there early, I arrived only a few minutes after the doors opened and there was a line. And they've been selling out in a few places lately. But I'm sure you'll get a ticket and you'll have an amazing time (:
sad savior;
Wild Eyed Joker
sad savior;
March 21st, 2009 at 11:30pm
It sounds like you had a great time. : D
I want to see them AGAAAIIIIIN!
I hate after you go to a concert, like, 4 seconds after you leave the venue you want to cry because you miss them. Or atleast I do. x)
That's the worst feeling ever.

But I'm going to see Taking Back Sunday on June 14th.
: D!!!!!

And I'm going to change my theme to Jeffree Star. Haha.
/off-topic
tattooed lovers.
Motor Baby
tattooed lovers.
March 22nd, 2009 at 01:18am
:]]]] i went to the msi concert i was talking about in my last post. it was amazing. when we were waiting in line, homeless bums came up to the line and asked for money. XD
i'll post about the concert tomorrow and post pictures, i'm too tired to right now. [ i'm even struggling to spell words right, and to put spaces between my words, lol.]
starktreks
Devil's Got Your Number
starktreks
March 22nd, 2009 at 08:21am

^ yay! i'm glad you managed to get a ticket, that's osm.
can't wait to hear about it.(:

GAH I MISS THEM SO MUCH LIKE, I'M GOING CRAZY. D:
24/1/09, man. shit. <33

+ lawl, last night i was thinking about how fucking epic lindsey's first show back is going to be.
like, omg i want to be there for it. it's gonna be insane. omg. :33
desert skies.
Shotgun Sinner
desert skies.
March 22nd, 2009 at 09:23am
I like the new theme Hollie (;
And yeah, I know just what you mean.
This whole week, I didn't want to do anything but go back to the show.

let freedom ring. That's so great you got in! I'm looking forward to hearing about it (:

And Jess, wow I didn't even think of that! You're right, that's going to be one hell of a show. <3
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
March 22nd, 2009 at 11:50am
heartquake.:

^ yay! i'm glad you managed to get a ticket, that's osm.
can't wait to hear about it.(:

GAH I MISS THEM SO MUCH LIKE, I'M GOING CRAZY. D:
24/1/09, man. shit. <33

+ lawl, last night i was thinking about how fucking epic lindsey's first show back is going to be.
like, omg i want to be there for it. it's gonna be insane. omg. :33

I wonder if they'll announce it beforehand or if she'll just sort of show up.
starktreks
Devil's Got Your Number
starktreks
March 22nd, 2009 at 02:28pm

yeah! idk.
it would be like, srsly amazing if it was a suprise and jimmy was like "WE GOTTA SUPRISE FO' YOU" and she came out.
hahaha i think i'd colapse.
Tehe

but no, idk. xD
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
March 24th, 2009 at 03:03pm
^ I reckon that's what'll happen. Tehe
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
March 25th, 2009 at 08:15pm
She needs to have like a killer entrance that only she could do. Like something involving fire. Idk. Lindsey epic.
Alexi Laiho.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexi Laiho.
March 26th, 2009 at 05:28pm
I love MSI so much.
I got a chance to meet them on monday at their concert in Winnipeg. XD
They're really entertaining to watch lol.
that was by far the best concert i've ever been to! (:

Unfortunately Lyn-Z wasn't there, and I didn't get a chance to meet Kitty. D:

But here are my pic's with Jimmy and Steve :

Steve
Jimmy
look alive sunshine.
Shotgun Sinner
look alive sunshine.
March 27th, 2009 at 08:38am
The Rumor:
^ I reckon that's what'll happen. Tehe

i second this and pray to god i'm there...
James Euringer
Bleeding on the Floor
James Euringer
March 27th, 2009 at 06:32pm
Oh shiz I haven't been on here in forever and like three days.
Serious ly.
Did anyone else go to the show at the Newport in Columbus on the 19th?