Don't have an account? Create one!

Desert Song

AuthorMessage
Vacant3by4
Jazz Hands
Vacant3by4
August 16th, 2007 at 12:45am
mikasaurus:
To me it sounds like someone he's loved has died, and he's just going through that period of depression, and feeling like everyones treating his sadness as a spectacle (sp?) [And did you come to stare, or wash away the blood?]

and also remebering the person.

[Rocking out just for the dead
Well tonight
Will it ever come?
I can see you awake anytime in my head]

I Agreeeee.
it's an amazing song.
blows my mind.
Tchaikovsky
Fabulous Killjoy
Tchaikovsky
August 26th, 2007 at 03:03am
homie gee:
To me it sounds like someone he's loved has died, and he's just going through that period of depression, and feeling like everyones treating his sadness as a spectacle (sp?) [And did you come to stare, or wash away the blood?]

and also remebering the person.

[Rocking out just for the dead
Well tonight
Will it ever come?
I can see you awake anytime in my head]

I agree with you Mr. Green
MarkTruth1991
Jazz Hands
MarkTruth1991
September 6th, 2007 at 05:25pm
^ Agreed awesome song and he's taking out his feelings with his an incredible catchy song. Mind blowing song like, becoming a quick favourite of mine Smile.
ChemicalMonkey
Killjoy
ChemicalMonkey
September 7th, 2007 at 09:42pm
I love the way that all of My Chemical Romances' songs have different meanings to us all, least of all to the band members themselves.
To me this song is truly depressive, and when i first listened to it carefully, it felt very personal. I suffer from serious bouts of quite scary depression, and have done so for a while. I feel this song really captures how i feel when i am at my lowest points. I'm not quite sure when Gerard wrote this song, but from what i can guess i think he probably wrote this when he was at one of his lowest points too...losing his grandmother, his drug and alochol addictions and his suicidal thoughts. I think he tried to really express his raw painful emotions.
Sorry maybe a tad depressive?!
WorkingTheEmoBangs
Killjoy
WorkingTheEmoBangs
September 9th, 2007 at 10:53am
We hold in our hearts the sword and the faith
Swelled up from the rain, clouds move like a wraith
Well after all, we'll lie another day
And through it all, we'll find some other way
To carry on through cartilage and fluid
And did you come to stare or wash away the blood?

i think that particular part means: some one's loved one is in the hospital or something and soon to die and the person is sad, but in the end they know that they will meet again some how.

Well tonight, well tonight
Will it ever come?
Spend the rest of your days rocking out
Just for the dead
Well tonight
Will it ever come?
I can see you awake anytime, in my head

Here I think that this person really tries so hard to just forget about the person that died by jamming out or doing what they enjoy doing but can't get that person out of their mind and can't believe that they're gone and really wants them so badly and wants to know when they can see that person again, hoping they could talk to that person at least one more time.

Did we all fall down?
Did we all fall down?
Did we all fall down?
Did we all fall down?
From the lights to the pavement
From the van to the floor
From backstage to the doctor
From the Earth to the morgue, morgue, morgue, morgue

here I get a sad sensation where the guy or girl is realizing that they will never see the person that died again.

Well tonight
Will it ever come?
Just for the dead
Well tonight
Will it ever come?
I can see you awake anytime in my head

I already put my thoughts on the chorus blah blah blah

All fall down
Well after all...

here I get the 'we all die any ways' vibe and that person that is sad sees that when they're time comes, they'll see the person that died and be reunited with them forever.
call me crazy, but i think that this song was dedicated to gerard and mikey's grandma.

I would repeatedly listen to this song over and over again after the boy i really loved dumped me. it reminded me so much of that day he broke up with me. i cried my eyes out so hard and i dont cry.
that was two years ago
AND I STILL LOVE HIM
bullets are hailing.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
bullets are hailing.
September 10th, 2007 at 12:08am
this song is telling about how My chemical Romance's first three years as a band was going a little rough. to start, Gerard and Mikey's grandmother died and Gerard became sober.

"Spend the rest of your days
Rocking out
Just for the Dead"

this shows that if they hadn't gone through all the hard times, they'd be with the dead ones.

"did we all fall down?"
they aren't sure if they've hit rock bottom yet or if they're coming toward it.

Did we all fall down? x4
From the earth to the morgue
Morgue! Morgue! Morgue!'

this is what would've happened if they just gave up

"Did you come to stare or wash away the blood?"

they can either deal with their problems or start all over
DidWeAllFallDown...
Killjoy
DidWeAllFallDown...
September 10th, 2007 at 10:24pm
I've always thought that the

"Did we all fall down.
Did we all fall down
Did we all fall down
Did we all fall down"

Was linking back to 9/11 when Gerard saw the people falling out of the towers...
mcr's black heart
Killjoy
mcr's black heart
September 19th, 2007 at 12:12am
i really love this song it is amazing

well after all, we'll lie another day and through it all we'll find some other way
to carry on through cartilage and fluid , and did you come to stare or wash away the blood??

wow those words are so depressing but beautiful at the same time i think this song is Gerard trying to cope with someone who he loves death i thing this is his way of honoring that person ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

mcr's black heart
Toronado
Bleeding on the Floor
Toronado
September 25th, 2007 at 10:26am
I think it's about being a band, and the good times and the bad times that come with it. Although from the lyrics, it's mostly about the bad times.
MUC
Killjoy
MUC
October 11th, 2007 at 02:27pm
First I have to say is that I'm not a native English speaker. (Please be friendly if I make some mistakes.) As a result the meanings of the songs are more than ever very difficult to interpret for me.

I think the song is about someone who has got a huge problem because of drugs and this person should get out of this dilemma.

"We hold in our hearts the sword and the faith
And did you come to stare or wash away the blood?"

"sword" could be used to describe a syringe for drugs?
A drug addict looks like a "wraith" and deceives himself because he knows actually that it's a problem to take drugs.
The last text line is a appeal for help.

"Well tonight, well tonight
Will it ever come?
Just for the dead
Well tonight
Will it ever come?
I can see you awake anytime, in my head"

Would it ever happen that the person gets clean?
The person's alternative is to "rock out" ("rock out": couldn't it be used for the use of cocaine/crack?) until he is dead.
the last text line: I believe in you. I know you are strong enough to quit with the drugs.

"Did we all fall down?
Did we all fall down?
Did we all fall down?
Did we all fall down?
From the Earth to the morgue, morgue, morgue, morgue"

Because of the drugs first you get high and every thing is great but after that you get smashed and you fall below the floor.

Am I on the wrong track?
With nothing to say
Thinking Happy Thoughts
With nothing to say
October 11th, 2007 at 10:46pm
qianthefirst:
sorry it was so long
Smile
I agree
IXWantXYourXBleeders
Banned
IXWantXYourXBleeders
October 16th, 2007 at 05:40pm
i really think this song is about a loved one dying.

Will it ever come?
Spend the rest of your days
Rocking out just for the dead
Well tonight
Will it ever come?

'i can see you awake anytime, in my head'
definately someone dying.

Did we all fall down? [x4]
From the Earth to the morgue
Morgue, morgue, morgue

'From the Earth to the morgue'
teh morgue-somewhere where they keep dead bodies, such a sad, quiet place.
i wonder if this song is about his grandma to Crying or Very sad
so sad...
BlackRainbow13
Killjoy
BlackRainbow13
November 10th, 2007 at 02:34am
We hold in our hearts the sword and the faith
And did you come to stare or wash away the blood?

♥ I think "We hold in our hearts the sword and the faith / Swelled up from the rain, clouds move like a wraith" means he's grieving over the loss of a loved one.

Will it ever come?
Just for the dead
Well tonight
Will it ever come?

♥ This continues what I'm thinking.

Did we all fall down?
Did we all fall down?
Did we all fall down?
Did we all fall down?

♥ This part, I think, is what throws me off... It kind of has two meanings. "From the lights to the pavement / From the van to the floor / From backstage to the doctor / From the Earth to the morgue, morgue, morgue, morgue" It sounds like his alcohol/drug addiction. Like in LOTMS, you see him falling onto the pavement. Also, This Is The Best Day Ever is about his trips to the hospital, I can't word it right, but I think this part has two meanings... I'm confused.

Well tonight
Will it ever come?
Just for the dead
Well tonight
Will it ever come?

♥ And then it goes back to what I think, is him mourning his Grandmother's death... I find this really hard to figure out...

All fall down
Well after all...
Green Faerie
Salute You in Your Grave
Green Faerie
November 23rd, 2007 at 01:35am
dread_cry999:
I also feel this song is mostly about Gerards addictions.

We hold in our hearts the sword and the faith ~I'm holding onto these addictions and the faith that I'll one day overcome them
Well after all, we'll lie another day ~basically another way of saying the sun will still rise in the morning or "there will always be a tomorrow"
To carry on through cartilage and fluid~it will be tough but I'll overcome my hardships. Obvious reference to cutting.
And did you come to stare or wash away the blood?~This is more like he's hiding pain and people are oblivious. People are carrying on and he's got these enormous feat's to overcome

Will it ever come? ~I think this is when he's heavily intoxicated or after a suicide attempt and he's just questioning, "how much longer until i die?"
Just for the dead ~He's predicting death
Well tonight
Will it ever come?
I can see you awake anytime, in my head~I might miss you(whomever "you" may be...) but i can always imagine you

Did we all fall down?
Did we all fall down?
Did we all fall down?
Did we all fall down? ~he's questioning "are we all in such pain???"
~these are all variations of seriousness of addiction and self-destruction, to the point where it kills him (earth to the morgue)

Well tonight
Will it ever come?
Just for the dead
Well tonight
Will it ever come?

All fall down
Well after all... ~in the end we'll all "fall" or 'die'

In my interpretation, I agree with this for the most part...

I think the "From the lights to the pavement...etc" part is about drug and alcohol abuse and how it affected him, because it is a perfect metaphor for what is shown in the LOTMS DVD.

And I think that the line "And did you come to stare or wash away the blood?" Is a metaphorical way of saying "Are you going to help or not?"

Although I do think that it is also about remembering someone who has died, with the line "I can see you awake anytime, in my head. So with those two concepts, I think that makes it about a personal crisis in someone's life, that is made up of a few things.

I also think that the use of the term "Backstage" makes the song personal, and less as part of the concept of the album.

All I know is, even before I listened to the lyrics, the way Gerard sings made me emotional, because it sounds so strained and in pain almost. It effects me physically when I listen to it. I've had it on repeat now for nearly an hour listening... and it is a very 'affecting' song.

I think this song can be about both the death of a loved one and an addiction at the same time.

Again this is just what I think, my guess, prediction etc... I am open to being proved wrong. (If by the band that will make me happy, because i'd love to know the ACTUAL inspiration and interpretation! Smile

xxx
howrie
Killjoy
howrie
December 2nd, 2007 at 09:41am
i got to see this song live!!!!!!!!!!! omg it was so great....just gerard and ray with an acoustic guitar.....was breathtaking
xXxCemeteryDrivexXx
Killjoy
xXxCemeteryDrivexXx
December 20th, 2007 at 03:47am
I think the song is about the 2 lovers on the cover of Life On The Murder Scene and Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge because they died in the desert...
I saw this song live too... It was amazing! It was so great! I nearly cried actually... I think partly because the concert was about to end... That or either the song was tooo good... Clap
the rise and fall
Killjoy
the rise and fall
January 7th, 2008 at 07:27pm
i think its about gerards drug addiction/alcoholism. mostly because of the verse about going from the lights to pavement, etc. he seems to be asking for help during this whole thing...and the world is distorted and strange. maybe this was just his way of addressing the problem.
I-took-her-down
Killjoy
I-took-her-down
February 21st, 2008 at 09:51pm
I think that Desert Song is about the death of somebody, maybe Gerard & Mikey's grandma, but somebody not caring about that. I don't really know, it's hard to say.
I-took-her-down
Killjoy
I-took-her-down
February 21st, 2008 at 09:53pm
I don't really know... I'm new to this, so don't bullshit me for screwing up. The song may also be about Gerard's struggles through life, breakups, deaths, addictions.... No
Helmee Bluth
In The Murder Scene
Helmee Bluth
March 9th, 2008 at 09:24pm
I'm not sure if this helps with the meaning...

I imagine someone lying in the middle of the desert.

Rainclouds would usually not be in a desert. Perhaps it's a mirage [or hallucination]. From the time spent like this, his heart's swelled up, and it's moving faintly as a wraith would?

I think I read somewhere that "Tonight, will it ever come?" means time seems longer because it's so hard, and/or he's not sure if he'll see tonight because he's suicidal.

"Spend the rest of your days rockin' out just for the dead." I think of Revenge being about loss...that line gives the impression he feels surrounded by death.

This song is so different than their other songs, I understand how they couldn't put it on an album. There's no other songs that would fit with this one.

These are just my musings, interpret the song however you want.