Don't have an account? Create one!

Teenage Depression

AuthorMessage
RedRiot.
Salute You in Your Grave
RedRiot.
May 15th, 2007 at 01:36pm
From what I have learnt from my dad (and this may have already been posted, sorry if it has), there are two types of depression. Enviromental caused by home/school/social life, really how the world around you is. My personal view on this type of depression is that it doesn't need medication to be cured. Talking would greatly help.
The other type is Chemical depression which is an inbalance of hormones. I believe that this one could only be sorted by medication to sort out the imblance of hormones.
It is quite har to distinguish the diffence between being just a normal teenager and suffering with depression, so alot of us believe with are ill with an illness we don't have; we are just suffering with our brian developing.
broken.
Jazz Hands
broken.
May 16th, 2007 at 07:26pm

Quite honestly, I think a lot of depression is in between.
Like you're okay when you're with your firends and then at home you just lose it and Death seems like a buddy.
And I know talking does help but it's not a permanent solution.

So now what?

What do we do when we can't tell our parents we need some kinda of medication and we can't explain to people why it's not as bad as it seems, but its still worse.

?_?

Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 16th, 2007 at 09:04pm
xCookieMonsterxox:
From what I have learnt from my dad (and this may have already been posted, sorry if it has), there are two types of depression. Enviromental caused by home/school/social life, really how the world around you is. My personal view on this type of depression is that it doesn't need medication to be cured. Talking would greatly help.
The other type is Chemical depression which is an inbalance of hormones. I believe that this one could only be sorted by medication to sort out the imblance of hormones.
It is quite har to distinguish the diffence between being just a normal teenager and suffering with depression, so alot of us believe with are ill with an illness we don't have; we are just suffering with our brian developing.

You've made an exceptional point with that first statement.
I think a lot of people get the two confused, therefore you have the skeptics who believe all types of depression are environmental and that everybody suffering severe depression is seeking attention; and the people who believe all types of depression are chemical and that somebody who's having a couple of somewhat minor problems is in need of medication and therapy.
That's why I get so upset with people claiming to suffer from depression when there's no medical diagnosis, and I hate doctors who see a teenager for one appointment, hear them describe that they're feeling down, and instantly prescribe a bunch of pills. They need to test it, seek second opinions, and follow up with the patient on several occasions to ensure that their feelings aren't just fleeting hormonal spirals.
Xfriday_im_in_loveX
Killjoy
Xfriday_im_in_loveX
May 16th, 2007 at 09:32pm
1. Do you think there's really teenage depression, or are they just moody/hormonal/overreacting? yes, one of my best friends was clinically depressed by 5th grade
2. If a teen is depressed, is family support needed or can the teen get better by themselves/with the help of one close family member or friend(s)? possibly, it depends on how depressed they are
3. Can depression be treated without the help of a psychotherapist/medicine?yes and i only think this because ive been in therapy and it's was a waste of time
4. How?
xXDrop.The.DaggerXx
Killjoy
xXDrop.The.DaggerXx
May 18th, 2007 at 12:06am
^ Perhaps for you it was a waste of time, but for some therapy can be an excellent treatment. Therapy doesn't have to be just talking, either. My therapist and I run three mornings a week, take kickboxing classes every Tuesday, and sometimes he picks me up from school to go to lunch. The best thing about the methods he uses is that he won't let me quit just because I feel depressed. We talk, of course, but we do it in my own living room, or at the park, instead of in a stuffy office with the standard black leather chair. Since he's a therapist geared specifically toward young adults and sees only a few clients at a time, and he's not making as much money as the high-toned and fancy-to-do psychiatrists, or maybe just because he makes it easy to talk, this form of therapy has done wonders.

I apologize if this is spam... I would type more, but I have a very adventurous duckling that is currently attempting to traverse my keyboard... Smile
EngoXDarkXLullabye
Killjoy
EngoXDarkXLullabye
May 18th, 2007 at 10:24am
1. There is serious Teenage deepression problems knowing this for the fact I'am one.

2. Its easy to "calm" the deppression but not actually get rid of it with out a therapist or meds. All one really needs to do is find someone with common grounds and voice your life and whats happing in it eventually you'll come across the problem and then it start on to it isn't as bad as it feels. Hopefully you find someone Emotionally strong and thats why I think everyone in the world needs AT LEAST one good friend.
Silverstein
Bleeding on the Floor
Silverstein
May 18th, 2007 at 04:52pm
I have teenage depression. Trust me, I am like the Hulk to the rest of kids at my school, and it makes my life so effing miserable.

Yay me! 50th post!
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
May 18th, 2007 at 08:18pm
MyChemicalDeath:
I have teenage depression. Trust me, I am like the Hulk to the rest of kids at my school, and it makes my life so effing miserable.

Yay me! 50th post!
Your post is spam, ie, it doesn't add anything to the discussion.
Please only post if you are trying to further the discussion at hand,
as this is an extremely touchiy subject as it is, and it one that can
very easily turn to spam and confessions and end up deleted.
DegenerateHippie
Killjoy
DegenerateHippie
May 22nd, 2007 at 11:43am
druscilla; in rags:
^
No offense, but you aren't a doctor and can't diagnose Bipolar.
Bipolar is the new bisexual. Everybody claims they have it.
I am Bipolar [diagnosed by multiple physicians] and it annoys me when people claim they have it.
Get diagnosed before you go spewing off your mental disorders.

Bipolar is the worst thing, it tore apart one of my relationships with my once close friend.

i was diagnosed the worst case of bipolar the redding physician had ever seen.
iamnotok
Killjoy
iamnotok
May 24th, 2007 at 07:36pm
i was almost goind into this depression of hurtin myslef nd i cdnt tell my famliy so i told my friends nd after that it was weird between us

i think it is a mixture of hormonal nd also school stuff

i think that u dnt need help frm otha pple

i think theripest might help but i dnt think drugs can
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
May 24th, 2007 at 08:00pm
^No chatspeak on the Discussion Board. Rules.
broken.
Jazz Hands
broken.
May 24th, 2007 at 08:17pm
Ok
BiPolar.
Yeah everyone 'has' it.
Like when everyone says "yeah, BI!'

But now what?

How's bipolar diferrent from other types of depression?
[i know, but we really need to further the discussion]
ilovegerardway2much
Jazz Hands
ilovegerardway2much
May 24th, 2007 at 09:08pm
there really IS teenage depression. I know because im a teenager and im depressed.
poison X_X pills
Killjoy
poison X_X pills
May 24th, 2007 at 11:04pm
Ok, as disturbing as it may seem at time, teenage depression is real. I had it, it got so bad I tried to kill myself. You dont have to fight it with medicen or a therapist. I'm alot better then I was because I listened to MCR. I also had a close friend who helped me through it, support of a loved one helps alot.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 24th, 2007 at 11:25pm
^ But were you and the person who posted above you diagnosed by a medical practitioner?
The discussion isn't about having a down day or even a down month, we're talking real, severe, chemical imbalances and environmental depression - which can only be diagnosed by a doctor after rigorous testing.

'Depression' is the new freaking bisexual - everyone wants to think they have it, and it's taking the focus off the unfortunate people who really DO suffer from this disease.
Mental illness is not 'cool', it's not 'in'... would you brag to everyone about having schizophrenia if it became the new trend? This is a serious issue, and saying things like, 'Listening to MCR cured me' does nothing to either add to the discussion, or help those with actual depression.
Everybody has their days or weeks when they feel like crap every day, but that's not depression.
xXDrop.The.DaggerXx
Killjoy
xXDrop.The.DaggerXx
May 24th, 2007 at 11:55pm
I'll admit as readily as anyone that when I have bad days I listen to MCR and I feel better. But that really isn't the issue we're trying to crack down on. Depression, the real depression, is a chemical imbalance, or a multitude of environmental factors, or sometimes both.

There are kids in my school that claim to be depressed, that claim to be suicidal, that claim to cut. These same kids claim to be bisexual or some other such thing, but if you approach them, even mockingly, with any emotion akin to attraction they will deny they ever said it.

My mom doesn't seem to think that depression is 'legit' in teenagers, and wouldn't believe I had it until I was formally diagnosed. Because it is the new fad, it's become a problem, because the real cases go untreated. The people that really do have depression can't get help because parents are no longer concerned.

Statistically, instances of diagnosed depression in teenagers has increased, but this could in part be due to the medical personnel's readiness to treat anything without formal diagnosis. I used to babysit two girls that lived on my street. One was taking ritalin, but she didn't need it, or at least I could handle her even when she wasn't on it. Her mom argued with me, saying it kept her calm. I might add that there were no rules at all. The girls when their mother was home with them were allowed to do gymnastics on the furniture, have ice cream or sugar-laden crap for dinner, and went to bed whenever and wherever they felt like it.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 25th, 2007 at 01:30am
^ I have a real problem with this 'ADD' trend that's so prevalent in youngsters... it's like 'depression', where a doctor will take a precursory look at a patient and prescribe medication without bothering to check properly whether it's required.

Have half these parents actually taken steps to work out what's behind their kids' unruly behaviour before begging for a prescription? Probably not. Before hauling a kid off to a doctor or psychiatrist, they should do things like look at their child's diet (one high in processed foods, sugars, preservatives etc will of course have your kid bouncing off the walls and refusing to listen to sense - try cutting out red lollies), their exercise level (of course a child who spends all their free time in front of a TV, computer or video game is going to have a lot of pent-up energy that's not being used playing outside, and therefore bounce around making their parents miserable), and how much actual quality time the family spends together (because it makes sense that a kid who's in school, and then daycare, and then mom and dad tell them to go and play outside all weekend so they can be left alone is going to start acting up to get attention from their parents).
Depression's the same - parents (and the 'sufferer', as they're old enough to know their own situation) need to look at factors of a kid's environment and mental state before simply taking them to the doctor's and demanding they be put on medication.
dexter morgan.
Banned
dexter morgan.
May 25th, 2007 at 02:33am
Cigarettes And Suicide:
^ But were you and the person who posted above you diagnosed by a medical practitioner?
The discussion isn't about having a down day or even a down month, we're talking real, severe, chemical imbalances and environmental depression - which can only be diagnosed by a doctor after rigorous testing.

'Depression' is the new freaking bisexual - everyone wants to think they have it, and it's taking the focus off the unfortunate people who really DO suffer from this disease.
Mental illness is not 'cool', it's not 'in'... would you brag to everyone about having schizophrenia if it became the new trend? This is a serious issue, and saying things like, 'Listening to MCR cured me' does nothing to either add to the discussion, or help those with actual depression.
Everybody has their days or weeks when they feel like crap every day, but that's not depression.

Amen to that!
If your feeling down for more than two weeks, that's when you start considering it. But it probably still isn't real depression. I mean, dealing with your boyfriend breaking up with you is NOT depression - it's feeling sad because he broke up. Your gonna get over that guy. People who use love as an excuse for depression really frustrate me - It's not depression.
All these fakers need to stop. It's not cool to have a mental disease.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 25th, 2007 at 04:56am
^ I definitely agree with you on that post, but there are occasions where a traumatic event can coincide with or trigger the chemical screw-up that causes depression.
In my case, it was an abusive relationship that I had been trying desperately for months to save, and when it ended, I attempted suicide. While I was in hospital, the doctors did rigorous amounts of testing and established that I did indeed have a chemical imbalance, but that it may not have been severe enough to cause any outward symptoms, but the relationship break-down and resulting fallout pushed things right over the edge and almost destroyed my life.
You're right, though. Feeling like crap for a while isn't an automatic indicator of depression - that's just being a teenager, hormonal and angsty.
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
May 25th, 2007 at 08:29am
I think that there needs to be more cross-checking of doctors snd psychologists to determine how depression is managed.
Teenage depression is a very real thing, but there are so many causes and quite often doctors and therapists jump to conclusions about which cause is in play. A second and possibly third opinion would therefore be very valuable. It's just a hard thing to do because the health service only has so much money, and you can only pay so much in private healthcare.
I'm autistic (this is relevant to my point), I have a diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome, but I only got diagnosed last year, at 14 years of age. Previous to that I had spent approximately 6 years going in and out of therapy that was actually making my depression worse, because I was being given the wrong type.

I think that teenage depression is a very real and serious thing...but it's so over-publicized that most teenagers think that they have it. There was a chain of people self-harming at my school (most of it was in my friendship group), I don't doubt that most of the people hurting themselves were sad and desperate, but I seriously doubt that they were all properly depressed. It's like, all it takes is one depressed teen self-harming, and then about 5 others will think, 'oh, that seems to help, I'll try that' and it gets worse and worse from there. Of course, it would be impossible to determine without the proper assesments who was depressed and who was just angsty, which is part of the reason why it is such a bad problem.
And if you are so angsty that you are hurting yourself, then there is a serious problem right there.