Don't have an account? Create one!

Teenage Depression

AuthorMessage
Pandora's Box
Motor Baby
Pandora's Box
May 25th, 2007 at 04:29pm
just a quick note : i think teenage depression is real but some teenagers like my idiotic mates think there depressed when there not there just in a real bad mood and that really annoys me
im not yet a teenager i will be in november 9 days after franks b day but i know that its going to be hard but i do have incredibly bad mood swings as my mates would say i change faster then a blink of an eye but im not depressed there two totally different things
p.s. was this comment completaly pointless??
CyanidexDeath
Jazz Hands
CyanidexDeath
May 25th, 2007 at 06:37pm
^ i agree. i know there is depression because my cousin had it. i also hate the nubes who say the have it just because they had a bad day. or something. it annoys me because i know what depression is. and its not something to joke about.
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
May 25th, 2007 at 06:40pm
1. Do you think there's really teenage depression, or are they just moody/hormonal/overreacting?
Yes,I do believe there is a teenage depression,but I do think that some people overreact to things and say they are depressed

2. If a teen is depressed, is family support needed or can the teen get better by themselves/with the help of one close family member or friend(s)? I think family support is definatly [sp?] needed. Help of counselors and friends can't hurt either.

3. Can depression be treated without the help of a psychotherapist/medicine
Yes.
4. How?
I think by encouraging words and spending more time with your child/teen/friend/student will make and impact.
Ice-Cold Flames
Killjoy
Ice-Cold Flames
May 25th, 2007 at 09:33pm
Teenage depression does exist, true depression is far worse then just "mood swings" and growing up, true depression is often marked as a mental condition so it's not known as depression but as a medical condition. I don't believe medicine can help depression for all it does is numb the pain for a couple of hours then the depression returns and the medicine can't "cure" it, also u need more and more powerful medicine as your body gets tolerent of the medicine you use. I think theripists can help but they are not necessary if you have a good friend or family member to talk to.

Teenagers do tend to overreact mostly though but if you've seen the effects or experienced it your self, then you stop saying your "depressed" when your only in a bad mood
dread_cry999
Fabulous Killjoy
dread_cry999
May 26th, 2007 at 10:14pm
Whether or not depression can be cured without medicine depends on the form of depression. There are different strains of it and many different parts to it. Whether or not its hereditary or not, the seriousness, length of depressive episodes, and other mood variations that may implay manic depression or bipolar...
All these affect whether or not it can be cure with or without medication.
EdwardCullenIsLove
Fabulous Killjoy
EdwardCullenIsLove
May 28th, 2007 at 02:44pm
I think teenage depression is everywhere!
It seems like nearly everyone you meet is depressed or knows someone who is.
Is the term being used too widely maybe? People feel a bit down and decide they're depressed?
Apparently you can't technically call it depression unless you've got a diagnosis from a doctor...
Anyways, I think anybody with it just needs help. Serious help, even if it just is from a friend.
If it gets so far you're thinking about killing yourself it's terrible.
Such a waste of a life.
rock_is_dead
Fabulous Killjoy
rock_is_dead
May 28th, 2007 at 07:59pm
I think there is Teenage Deppression, but too many people label it under sucicdal and crap. Yeah I think counseling can help and the support of your family would help even more, but I don't think it's nessacary to give drugs to a teen. I mean their bodies aren't fully devolped and their mind isn't too. Plus it's a big chance that they might use these more than the recomended dose. *I would use way too much*
KaylaDanielle
Thinking Happy Thoughts
KaylaDanielle
May 28th, 2007 at 08:13pm
1. Yes, I do believe there is a such thing as teenage depression, I have it. Depression is when you are constantly down about something, and it CAN lead to many things like not doing as well in school (I have had this problem), sleeping more or less, and sometimes suicide.

2. I'm not really sure. I would rather talk to my friends or my older brother about things that are bothering me than talking to my parents.

3. Some people need medicine, some don't. But it usually always helps to talk to someone. I am one of the people that has to take medicine and see a therapist.
SilentScreams
Awake and Unafraid
SilentScreams
May 28th, 2007 at 08:58pm
well. I have depression. I'm on pills.
I'm not too sure if depression can be helped without pills or not.
but I am sure as hell, it can't be helped without a therapist.
the story goes with what I am going to add
I went to a hospital, I got help, and better [not completely. I still needed to go to a therapist and all that jazz] but, after I got out [MARCH] I haven't been to a therapist yet and I have noticed the same behaviours, thoughts come back, though I thought I had them under controll. and the reason is, I haven;t had a proper person to talk to this whole time.
plus with the meds making depression worse. I know what that's like. I was on prozac, it made it worse [one reason I went to the hospital] then I got put on effexor, I'm now chaning meds again. so it depends on the person. NOT ALL meds work FOR EVERYONE. you just have to experiment with some. and see if it works or not.
KN!VES
Joining The Black Parade
KN!VES
May 29th, 2007 at 06:59pm
1. Do you think there's really teenage depression, or are they just moody/hormonal/overreacting? Yes, there is teenaged depression. I survived six months of it at its worst.

2. If a teen is depressed, is family support needed or can the teen get better by themselves/with the help of one close family member or friend(s)? Depression can never really be treated, only sugar coated. The one who is depressed can be given help and momentary relief of the pain, but the healing begins when the sickness has run its course.

3. Can depression be treated without the help of a psychotherapist/medicine? Depression can never really be treated, only sugar coated.

4. How? The one who is depressed can be given help and momentary relief of the pain by use of neurological-altering chemicals, but the healing begins when the sickness has run its course.
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
May 30th, 2007 at 04:02am
Yes, it is real but because of existence of people claiming they have it when in fact they don't and they're just overreacting, many adults think that depression is just a "teenage phase" or just some "teenage drama". Also, there are some people i know who get depressed but refuses to "get out" of their depression that it seems like its just plain drama. I mean what's up with making your life harder?

I occasionally get depression but those who care about me and my outlets such as, writing, etc. helps me get through it.
FrancyPansy
Killjoy
FrancyPansy
June 3rd, 2007 at 03:08pm
I think teen depression is a serious problem.. and it really annoys me that some peps are making fun of it cuz not everybody who is sad is also depressed! that's a huuge difference and you also have to distinguish between light and heavy depressions.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
June 3rd, 2007 at 07:24pm
Your post is spam, ie, it doesn't add anything to the discussion.
Please only post if you are trying to further the discussion at hand,
as this is an extremely touchy subject as it is, and it one that can
very easily turn to spam and confessions and end up deleted.
Max Green
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Max Green
June 4th, 2007 at 01:10am
yea i thkn im suffering from depression im not sure if im overreacting or not probably not and i just ripped up my suicide letter so i thnk im doing pretty good
S713
Joining The Black Parade
S713
June 4th, 2007 at 03:13am
xXBlack_MariahXx:
yea i thkn im suffering from depression im not sure if im overreacting or not probably not and i just ripped up my suicide letter so i thnk im doing pretty good

Don't let it get to far.
Or your family will be throwing away the suicide note next time.

Seriously, if you aren't just playing up this thread then you need to see a professional or be evaluated.

Feel free to pm me if you were serious about what you said.

the.reaper.wore.pink:
Yes, it is real but because of existence of people claiming they have it when in fact they don't and they're just overreacting, many adults think that depression is just a "teenage phase" or just some "teenage drama". Also, there are some people i know who get depressed but refuses to "get out" of their depression that it seems like its just plain drama. I mean what's up with making your life harder?

I occasionally get depression but those who care about me and my outlets such as, writing, etc. helps me get through it.

I'm one of those people that seem like I'm just trying to make my life harder (so I have been told, anyway)
It's not like I have a normal thought process anymore.
Hell, I don't have the same personality anymore, and sadly, I'll most likely never see that "other me" again.
I don't do things for the long term anymore. I can't. It'll kill me.
The only way I can survive is to do things for the short term. Which, inevitably makes things harder in the long term. Then people wonder what the hell I'm doing. Ha... Sometimes I even ask myself the same thing.
But me (and a lot of other people) are past the point where we can do things logically and simplistically. If I stop living by the second and worry about next week and forget about whats going on then and there I'll end up in a bad situation.
It's inner conflict.
It may seem like they are making their lives worse. But, it (depending on whether they actually have a progressed mental illness or not) isn't them anyway.
For example, part of me wants to live and that is the only part of the old me I have left, and it fades away more and more everyday.
Survival methods like cutting, writing, music, etc. are temporary, however, thats why you can only think about the short term effects.
Cutting - People don't understand it. Probably never will. But it keeps me alive.
My parents just think I'm trying to dwell on the fact that I have a disorder.
However, I personally believe (whether I'm right or wrong) that they should have listened to me when I informed them that I thought I had depression or bipolar disorder.
They didn't until it was too severe to control with therapy or medication.
So we get into an argument about it, and ultimately it makes them think that they are indeed right.
Writing - My parents and teachers see stuff I write, although I do try to hide it.
They think I'm trying to get attention. Not quite. I'd rather have them leave me alone. But, when I tell them to leave, they think that it is all part of a plot to get more attention.
Then I get the whole "People with real disorders need help and you're just taking away they're resources.."
Yeah. Sure.
Anyway...
Music - My mom actually loves MCR, so it's not much a problem with her. However, everybody else is a different story, most other people see MCR on an iPOD and think I cut myself. How they get cutting out of MCR only god knows. But, that just sparks people making fun of me more.
This ties into something else.
I don't talk to people in school. I stay away from people.
Why? See above.
They don't understand. They never will.
Also, humans are cruel. I have been made fun of enough. I don't need it anymore. Mainly for that reason (And a few other things that don't need to be mentioned) I don't trust people. I'm scared to communicate, talk, eat, sleep, or do anything in front of people anymore.
However, when somebody I know is not going to be the nicest person to me walks up and I walk away, my teachers and parents interpret that as just being an asshole.
So, naturally, I get the "You don't want to have any friends do you" or "You're just making things worse for yourself, maybe she wanted to help you"...

So anyway, point being, somethings can easily be mistaken for trying to make ones life harder, when in fact, they're attempting to do the opposite, however asinine the attempt may in fact be.
Remember, these were only 3 (Well, I guess 4) examples.
I'm not saying this is the situation that is occurring with your friend.
I'm just saying that the first person perspective of what the person who is mentally "ill" is thinking is typically drastically different from that of mentally sound or healthy person.

Wow, I didn't realize I had dragged the post on this far.
Kudos to you if you read through the entire thing. Smile
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
June 4th, 2007 at 06:56am
^^I read it all! lol. I get kudos! hehe
S713:
I'm one of those people that seem like I'm just trying to make my life harder (so I have been told, anyway)
It's not like I have a normal thought process anymore.
Hell, I don't have the same personality anymore, and sadly, I'll most likely never see that "other me" again.
I don't do things for the long term anymore. I can't. It'll kill me.
The only way I can survive is to do things for the short term. Which, inevitably makes things harder in the long term. Then people wonder what the hell I'm doing. Ha... Sometimes I even ask myself the same thing.
But me (and a lot of other people) are past the point where we can do things logically and simplistically. If I stop living by the second and worry about next week and forget about whats going on then and there I'll end up in a bad situation.
It's inner conflict.

I did experience the same things before. I'm not sure what happened but it just happened. (pm me if you wanna talk) I can't worry about things that are about to happen like you do...sadly, it happened when i'm about to go to college. So, what i did is just let my parents plan my future. I know i might regret doing it someday..but, i just can't do it myself. Currently, the things that I am doing related to my "depression"

Writing - someone encouraged me to do a blog to pour out feelings i can't tell anybody...i am writing some other works but for some reason i just can't finish them.
Music - I don't have a problem with it...my parents let me listen to whatever i want to
Painkillers - I know, its wrong but i frequently drink this to help ease the physical manifestations of depression like chest pains and headaches

What's weird is that my moods change so quickly. I would be so sad i don't wanna be near anyone and I would cry and can't tell why i'm crying and the next time you'll see me...i'm pulling pranks, laughing as if there was no tomorrow. That's why i only get "occasional depressions"

P.S. Sorry if i'm spamming
KillJoys
Bulletproof Heart
KillJoys
June 5th, 2007 at 02:46pm
1. Do you think there's really teenage depression, or are they just moody/hormonal/overreacting?
No I think there is such as thing as teenage depression. There is now mount pressures on teens and sometimes if there is a family history it is inevitable. In addition depression is a lot stronger than just a mood swing and it lasts longer too. I don’t really feel that you could confuse the two. I’m a teenager and I’m hardly ever moody or have fights with my parents, but I still suffer from depression, as a result of my past.
vampyre maiden
Fabulous Killjoy
vampyre maiden
June 22nd, 2007 at 04:38am
teenage depression is bad i should know Crying or Very sad Sad
vampyre maiden
Fabulous Killjoy
vampyre maiden
June 22nd, 2007 at 04:38am
teenage depression is bad i should know Crying or Very sad Sad
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
June 22nd, 2007 at 05:44am
1. How do you know? Have you been diagnosed by a doctor or psychotherapist? If you do not have an official diagnosis, you do not know whether you have it or not.
2. Your post could be considered spam, as it adds absolutely nothing to the discussion. Why is it bad? How is it caused? Can it be cured by yourself or is medication/therapy required? Please elaborate.
3. This is not the place for confessing your personal problems. It is designed as a place to share theories, ideas and opinions on what depression is, how it is caused, what treatment is or should be available, etc etc.

Please read the rules thread and the first page of this topic before posting, and welcome to INO.