Don't have an account? Create one!

Teenage Depression

AuthorMessage
xxmcrxxlivesxxonxx
Killjoy
xxmcrxxlivesxxonxx
August 11th, 2007 at 08:18pm
Depression happens to anyone and everyone.

it feels awful and makes everyone around you feel uncomfortable.

it feels like an endless dark pool of sadness.

trust me, I've been there.

the results arent pretty.

get help while you can.
perfectly flawed.
In The Murder Scene
perfectly flawed.
August 11th, 2007 at 09:24pm
My mom thinks I'm depressed and wants to get me help. I don't have suicidal thoughts, but I just never invite anyone over and all I do is sit at the computer all day and have online friends. I mean, I do have real life friends, but I'm not that close to them. I think there is such a thing as teen depression, but for me I guess it's just teen angst. I'm not exactly the most popular girl at school, but I don't slit my wrists and hope to die. I hate highschool haha.
Foxy_Roxy
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Foxy_Roxy
August 11th, 2007 at 09:44pm
I suffered from a mild ( it didn't feel mild at the time) spell of depression, for about 6 months no one knew, and they only found out because i had gotten to the piont where all my friends had turned on me and i had no one left, and i overdosed. I recovered well and i have been surprised at how quickly i recovered emotionally - the councellors were miracle workers.
The fact is teenage depression is real, frighteningly so. But i do feel that there is not enough being done about it - for example the education system could do ALOT more to help kids understand what they are/could be going through and how to deal with it. Not all people are as lucky as me - i got away with it by the skin of my teeth, and it could have been prevented.
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
August 11th, 2007 at 09:49pm
people need to understand the difference between hormones, phases, and depression.
i cut myself, is that just a phase? was that my hormones? no, it was not, i seriously did have a problem, and i still have that problem four years later.
i talked with a professional when i was fourteen years old, and i had a mild case of depression. but alas, it runs in my family so i was more likely to get it.
but what people do not understand is that depression takes different forms -- you can be upset, you can be angry, you can be mellow, etc. i had an angry which is why my mom didn't think of me having depression.
and to this day, i am still a very, very angry sixteen year old.
i believe in teenage depression because of my own personal resons. more needs to be done about, and we cannot just say that it is hormones... because there is a difference.
Foxy_Roxy
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Foxy_Roxy
August 11th, 2007 at 11:03pm
Citizen Erased :"my mom didn't think of me having depression. "
Same here - my mum didn't want to believe me - she thought it was hormones or i was being over dramatic.
DeadInTheWater
Fabulous Killjoy
DeadInTheWater
August 12th, 2007 at 01:07am
i think the words depressed and depression are used to loosely nowadays amongst teens, for instence if someone is feeling a bit down they will go on msn and say to their mates that they are depressed, when in truth they are having a bit of a bad day/week and taking a sulk.

I'm not saying every teenager who says they are depressed is being dramatic because that is not the case at all, many teenagers do suffer depression, people need to learn when to use the word depression, and that is only to describe a serious illness.

x.x.x
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 12th, 2007 at 02:45am
Teenage depression is a tricky topic, because, like others have mentioned, it is hard to tell whether you are depressed, or your hormones are playing up. I had a friend when I was 14 who claimed she was depressed, and she would become truant and always see councillors, etc. But I was ignorant, and I got annoyed with her for not being able to share her problems. I was annoyed with her because she would always shut us out and not talk to us for days. So in the end, we dumped her as a friend, and she moved schools. I feel deathly horrible about it now, I was so immature.

But on the other side of the coin, I get annoyed when teenagers under the age of 18 say "oh yeah, I'm so depressed. I'm on antidepressants, blah blah blah."
That's bullshit. I don't know what it's like in the US or UK or anywhere else, but I know that here in Australia it is illegal to supply minors with any form of serotonin reuptake inhibitors (antidepressants etc), because they are still growing physically and mentally.
Future-Mrs-Way
Killjoy
Future-Mrs-Way
August 15th, 2007 at 07:29pm
1. Do you think there's really teenage depression, or are they just moody/hormonal/overreacting?
I think teenage depression IS a real problem and not just hormones...maybe some people it is just hormones but some people weather they're teenagers or not get depressed dispite there hormones...

2. If a teen is depressed, is family support needed or can the teen get better by themselves/with the help of one close family member or friend(s)?
I think if somebody is sevearly depressed they would probably need professional help...however if they are just upset they could just do it by them selves or with the help of family/friends

3. Can depression be treated without the help of a psychotherapist/medicine?
It could maybe be treated without medicane...depending on how depressed the individual is....But i think if u are really depressed even if you dont think you need a shrink then you should get one anyways cos they can sometimes help you out...
Phhia
Killjoy
Phhia
August 15th, 2007 at 07:53pm
Teenage depression.
I had it for just under a year, and it's hard, because at the time I didn't realise I was depressed.
I was just lonely, angry, cold and unhappy, and didn't think it was anything unnormal until I spoke to a friend who made me see someone.
I think teens need to be more aware of it, so they don't blame it on hormones and leave it unsettled.
Stripey-Stripes.
Motor Baby
Stripey-Stripes.
August 16th, 2007 at 05:32am
Teen Depression really isn't taken as serious as it should be. Yea, some of it can be attributed to normal human angst, but teens and children can be as depressed as adults. It's ridiculous for an adult to say, "Oh, it's just hormones..." when the poor kid can barely get out of bed. I think that a lot more can be done and SHOULD be done for the teens that experience depression.
Cloud Strife.
Banned
Cloud Strife.
August 17th, 2007 at 06:03am
Teenage depression might lead to alcoholism, drugs, and maybe suicidal attempts. Seriously, you should try to avoid being depressed.

It'll help if you try and cope with your problems. Try and have fun hobbies.
When you're depressed, you might commit murder or something.
Pilgrim.
Salute You in Your Grave
Pilgrim.
August 17th, 2007 at 02:17pm
Helena's Ghost:
Teenage depression might lead to alcoholism, drugs, and maybe suicidal attempts. Seriously, you should try to avoid being depressed.

It'll help if you try and cope with your problems. Try and have fun hobbies.
When you're depressed, you might commit murder or something.

ANY depression can lead to those problems. And you cannot really try to avoid it, coping with your problems and stuff. I was doing "fine", good friends, good at school, everything seemed to be fine and I still got depressed. It doesn't matter how fun hobbies you have or how close you are to your friends. Yes, there might be certain issues that can increase the risk of being depressed (death of a loved one, problems with alcohol or drugs, money issues, bad relationships etc) but it's really not that easy to prevent it yourself. It's not enough if you just think happy thoughts.
horse_riders_r_stable_ppl
Motor Baby
horse_riders_r_stable_ppl
August 19th, 2007 at 10:49pm
Chainsaw Ami.:
1. Some teens are more sensitive. Emotional. So the normal moody/hormonal/overreacting changes into a teenage depression.
2. Talk to someone about it. A real close friend. And then maybe a doctor.
3. If you can talk about your problem with somebody who cares deeply and who's not making stupid jokes or anything, you don't need pills, I think.
4. Uh..

i admit i am more emotional than most of the other kids in my class.
counseling sometimes helps but i dont know about a therapist.
i heard that doctors can prescribe anit depressants but thats mainly for suicidal cases.
postcollapse
Killjoy
postcollapse
August 26th, 2007 at 10:51am
1. There definitely is such a thing as teenage depression. Some kids have it so bad or refuse to look at things on the positive side, which can make them depressed//sad. But you're right, a TON of it has to do with hormonal changes.

2. If i was very depressed, there is no way I would go to my family. Most likely, the teen is depressed thanks to the family life, and spending MORE time with them would not help. I would rather talk to a friend or a doctor.

3. Depression can be treated with medicine because certain medicines have chemicals that help boost your moral. I, however, feel that the best way to treat depression is to begin to look on the positive side of things.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
August 26th, 2007 at 02:59pm

ive been blue here and there never really depressed but ive known people to be clinically diagnosed with it severe depression its not like a myth or anything, they cant talk about how they are they dont tell people or friends how they feel or if theyre messed up.

theres this one girl at my school she tells everyone all the time shes messed up
and tha shes gone to see pychiatrist and therapist she shows everyone her pills
and stuff and she dosnt even seem a hint sad she justtells teachers and they all say shes brave but everyone knows shes faking it just for the sake of being different.

Marina!
Shotgun Sinner
Marina!
August 26th, 2007 at 10:37pm
Of course Teenage Depression exists, Depression can hit at any age, but more commonly in adults.
I agree with what some-one said a few pages back when they said that people with diagnosed depression sometimes look down on people who're feeling a bit blue.

Teens tend to diagnose themselves now because depression is so common they think they know enough to say "Yep, i have it." They may actually have it
and some may not.
I think it would help to use medication as depression IS a chemical imbalance in the brain (yes, due to hormones) but then it also helps to tell some-one you trust.

Like Cigarettes and Suicide said, There IS a difference from DEPRESSED and DEPRESSION, people just need to learn it.
Elwood.
Fabulous Killjoy
Elwood.
August 26th, 2007 at 11:17pm
1. Do you think there's really teenage depression, or are they just moody/hormonal/overreacting?
Anyone can get depressed, even teens. However, there is a difference between teenage moodiness and depression. This two are often mixed up, so the family often dismisses the problem, thinking it'll pass. Teenage moodiness will pass with or without treatment. But if you have depression, you need to do something.
2. If a teen is depressed, is family support needed or can the teen get better by themselves/with the help of one close family member or friend(s)?
If you're really depressed, you're going to need lots of support from both your family and friends.
Yes.
4. How?
The number one cause of depression is boredom. And don't flame me, because I'm not talking "omg this math lesson is sooooo boring" kind of boredom. I'm talking the kind of boredom that prevents you from being interested in or enjoying life AT ALL. THAT is depression. The cure for boredom is finding something to do, whether it be a sport or talking with friends or learning a new language. Find something you like doing and don't give up.
shell-
Jazz Hands
shell-
August 27th, 2007 at 07:36pm
1. Do you think there's really teenage depression, or are they just moody/hormonal/overreacting? Obviously there is but then you get some people who's lives are perfect and they are depressed okay i dont mean absoulty perfect but you do get some attention seekers fair enough i do think there is depression yes...No time for the attention seekers though

If i was depressed i wouldnt want family or friends help ( thats just the person i am though ) it really depends on who the person is some people would want help some wouldnt

I suppose you could cure it by yourself but if it depends if its somting like bi-polar then obviously you will it really depends on how serious it is....

4. How? No idea they can help you get to the route and help you to try and solve your problems (im not saying get rid of it) i think what that is what that question is asking :S
Invisible Monster.
Bleeding on the Floor
Invisible Monster.
August 28th, 2007 at 07:24pm
1. Do you think there's really teenage depression, or are they just moody/hormonal/overreacting? in my opinion, teenage depression is a mix between hormones and a lack of self confidence. we're growing, yes, we all know that, and i'll save everyone from the talk that our parents have with us when we're 10, but there is more to it than just raging hormones. these days, everything and everyone is out to get everyone else. the media is making us hate ourselves and the way we are. this lowers our self esteem and our confidence. its pretty depressing. there maybe such a thing as teenage depression, it really could be true, but it is not JUST depression. i think its a mix of things.
it CAN be done by yourself, yes. but its usually easier to get better with the help of someone close. someone that you can tell everything to and will understand you completely. it makes one feel as if they're not alone and that this is conquerable.
in my opinion, yes. maybe the really severe cases would need the help of someone with more knowledge. someone wiser, etc, but it can be solved without medicine in most cases, i think.
4. How? i think talking is the best way to solve problems. just let it all out. once its out in the open, its easier to work with instead of when its all in your head. sometimes there are just so many ideas that you can get anywhere. so, i think talking would be a good way.
rachi_left4deadx_x
Motor Baby
rachi_left4deadx_x
August 28th, 2007 at 10:13pm
A lot of the time, teenage depression is just hormones, but just because of this, we can't cancel out the possability of teenage depression. Adults get depressed over stess, lack out self-confidence/self-eesteem, loss of a loved one, a diffucult memory or because of abuse etc. These are all things that both adults and teenagers can experience. There is know medical proof that shows it is impossible for a teenager to be depressed because everyone's brains are the same.