Don't have an account? Create one!

The Draft

AuthorMessage
King Of The Jews JR
Jazz Hands
King Of The Jews JR
April 9th, 2008 at 08:35am
If i were to be drafted I wouldnt do it, Id fake ill or swap to the enemy side.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
April 16th, 2008 at 01:30am

the really isnt any need for the draft, considering the scale of this war, compared to teh second world war this really is just a skirmish if you kinda sit them side by side.
though i suppose ide approve to the draft if it was deadly necissary.
war is bad but sometimes war is necissary in keeping stability or to stop something.

this doesnt mean i agree to the conflict in the middle east.
im just saying that sometimes not all the time a conflict comes that calls for all men to serve their country and those men would go to fight because they saw it as their civic duty as a citizen of that country

ide go to fight for the freedom i live in .

Helmee Bluth
In The Murder Scene
Helmee Bluth
September 9th, 2009 at 05:31am
DeadInTheWater:
no,
its evil to force people into joining the army
conflict may be against their beliefs or they could be pacifists,
its just evil
Actually, wouldn't that be when they'd be let out of having to serve?

I need to study this topic a lot more. I think that it's wrong, but I think there could be times that it's necessary, too. I can't imagine when that would be, though. But it would have to be dire circumstances and I haven't made up my mind that it would be worth it (to me) even when the country's future depends on it.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
September 9th, 2009 at 08:34am
Rock Steady:
Well I believe that National Service should be brought back in the UK. As some kids are getting into too much trouble and have no respect for others. they are lazy and inconsiderate. i mean i am fed up of turning on the news and hearing some 12 year old has murdered someone.
A nice enough point - but forcing a young adult into national service at the age of 18 doesn't stop a 12-year-old murdering someone. And you can't put little kids in national service, so it's essentially a moot point - by the time they're old enough to serve, the damage to their character (be it coming from a broken home, running in a gang, using alcohol/substances, growing to see violence as a normal, everyday thing etc etc etc) has already been done.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
September 9th, 2009 at 01:19pm
Rock Steady:
Well I believe that National Service should be brought back in the UK. As some kids are getting into too much trouble and have no respect for others. they are lazy and inconsiderate. i mean i am fed up of turning on the news and hearing some 12 year old has murdered someone.

The service would teach them some respect and would teach them how to look after themselves rather then relying on everything being handed to them on a plate.

Also, way to tar all of us with the same brush.

Yes theres inconsiderate teens, just as there is adults. Yet they are the minority. Its unfair to force everyone into national service.
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
September 9th, 2009 at 03:58pm
Cigarettes And Suicide:
Rock Steady:
A nice enough point - but forcing a young adult into national service at the age of 18 doesn't stop a 12-year-old murdering someone. And you can't put little kids in national service, so it's essentially a moot point - by the time they're old enough to serve, the damage to their character (be it coming from a broken home, running in a gang, using alcohol/substances, growing to see violence as a normal, everyday thing etc etc etc) has already been done.

Good point, the only thing that will help these kids is being brought up in a nice environment, with a good education, having fair treatment, and anger management teaching. Since, that causes the argument for helping teach people discipline is a moot point, it seems as if there is almost no justification for it. I am a pacifist, and not physically strong at all, so I wouldn't even be of any use to them. If I did get drafted, then I would just try to hook up with some guy (I'm bi,so I could probably accomplish this) ,and due to the U.S. Military's Don't Ask Don't Tell policy, it will be illegal for me to serve. Although I would like there to be a way out, I do think that homosexuals, bisexuals, transsexuals, etc. should be allowed to join.
Wandering_Soul
Jazz Hands
Wandering_Soul
September 12th, 2009 at 10:26pm
The draft is an evil thing, but it could be necessary at times. That time would be if your country is under attack, and you need to defend it. Not to get more troops to go on an offensive. The age is about right, and it should not be reinstated for the war we are in right now. It is very small scale, and more troops are unneeded.

As for women in the army, well, Im all for women having equal rights and all. But on the battlefield it is a proven fact that when men fight alongside men, they fight according to their training and instructions. When those same men fight alongside women, they fight to protect the women. This will make the unit vulnerable and prone to destruction. Im not against women in the army, but I am against them being on the front lines.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
September 15th, 2009 at 07:05pm
"When those same men fight alongside women, they fight to protect the women."

Can you tell me where you got that info?
I think that when are in the military, they fight to protect all of their comrades, and I remember seeing a documentary on PBS a couple months ago. I'm not sure what the title was, but it was about the American military's Lionesses, who are women who basically do the same combat jobs as men. They don't get any special treatment from the men; in fact, they have to do more to prove that they are as capable as the men.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
September 16th, 2009 at 12:59am
questionable content:
"When those same men fight alongside women, they fight to protect the women."

Can you tell me where you got that info?
I think that when are in the military, they fight to protect all of their comrades, and I remember seeing a documentary on PBS a couple months ago. I'm not sure what the title was, but it was about the American military's Lionesses, who are women who basically do the same combat jobs as men. They don't get any special treatment from the men; in fact, they have to do more to prove that they are as capable as the men.
agree completely. To say that women aren't capable to fight on the frontline because the guys will just protect them is very incoherent. When your in battle, your fellow soldier is your fellow soldier, they may be your best friend or even your worse enemy, but you still follow your orders. I can assure you no commander is gonna tell your troops "ok all of you go out there, but you better protect the women, she's more important than the mission" If that were the case, we would never get anything done and women wouldn't be put on the frontline at all. But obviously they are so this must not be the case. The women had to prove herself just to put there like all the men, why should she get treated any different? Now there may be certain cases where they wouldn't put someone on the front line such as severe disablity or pregnancy, but thats why people with those problems aren't put on the frontlines
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
September 16th, 2009 at 09:07pm
^ It's been proven that men are distracted by their instinctual urge to protect women on the frontline. It's biological - no matter how tough a woman is, a man still sees her as a nurturer, fragile, someone who bears and raises children instead of shooting enemy troops.
I'm trying to find a recent article I read on this that linked to the research, if I can find it I'll post it.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
September 17th, 2009 at 12:23am
^So women shouldn't be given an opportunity just because some men still see them as a stereotype?
I don't believe that. Men may still see women as the weaker sex, but that doesn't mean women shouldn't automatically be restricted in opportunities. Some women would probably love to fight on the frontline, but they can't because of outdated thinking.

And I don't think it has much to do with biological urges as such, but just what men are raised to believe. There is still an underlying belief in our society that women shouldn't do some things because they're fragile little dolls made out of porcelain.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
September 19th, 2009 at 03:16pm
Regardless of what it's caused by, if it happens, it needs to be avoided (in theory, not that I am against equal rights). If you think about it, just going "okay it's fine it's not the woman's fault, it's how men were raised and it's wrong, so let's just ignore it and let the women up front," and then letting them up front and having the army torn to pieces as a result...really doesn't help much.

Just food for thought. I mean, it's not at all fair to women, but perhaps there are some military stereotypes that need to be tackled before compromising security just for equality's sake. then we can let women kick ass like we kind of all know the would. :]
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
September 20th, 2009 at 02:54am
^I don't quite understand what you're getting at.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
September 20th, 2009 at 05:29pm
Women deserve an opportunity, of course, but maybe it should take a backseat while we fix what's wrong with our "good old boy" military mentality, so that we don't compromise our army's (and therefore our nation's security) integrity just for the sake of putting women in the front lines.

Argh, I'm not the best at explaining my points.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
September 20th, 2009 at 09:48pm
^I think I get what you mean.

It's not the women's fault that stereotypes about them exist, but because they do, if women are allowed to serve, then because of those stereotypes (not because of the women themselves), the performance and security of the military will be impacted. And because it's not because of the women themselves, if we tackle the stereotypes and then let women into the frontlines, then the military will suffer no hurt.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
September 20th, 2009 at 11:59pm
wikus van de merwe.:
Women deserve an opportunity, of course, but maybe it should take a backseat while we fix what's wrong with our "good old boy" military mentality, so that we don't compromise our army's (and therefore our nation's security) integrity just for the sake of putting women in the front lines.

Argh, I'm not the best at explaining my points.
But how is that mentality going to be smashed?
I would have thought that by letting women do more things in the army eventually the attitude and mentality within the army and stigmas attached to the army would change.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
September 22nd, 2009 at 03:46pm
questionable content:
^I think I get what you mean.

It's not the women's fault that stereotypes about them exist, but because they do, if women are allowed to serve, then because of those stereotypes (not because of the women themselves), the performance and security of the military will be impacted. And because it's not because of the women themselves, if we tackle the stereotypes and then let women into the frontlines, then the military will suffer no hurt.

YES, haha, thanks.

And we have the "don't ask don't tell" policy to allow homosexuals into the military, but that didn't help them did it? As soon as it gets out, they're ridiculed and abused for it. Furthermore, they have to act like something they're not, just so they can serve. It can ruin the team ethic that the military needs to succeed.

Of course, our military is functioning decently with women and homosexuals right now, but just in theory here. Just ignoring the mentality is not going to make anything better. it just means that all the disrespect, lack of promotion, etc. happens more sneakily. The US military is very set in its ways.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
September 22nd, 2009 at 08:08pm
^And how, exactly, do you propose to eradicate that mentality? Just hope one day everything will just magically change?
Sorry, I don't know anything about the US military because I'm not from the US.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
September 25th, 2009 at 03:21pm
Hoping for change won't make it happen, and just because I know it needs to happen doesn't mean that I have a plan in mind. :/ I just think that we should be careful how we try to raise the bar. Simple. You don't need to know a whole lot of information about the US military to know that.

This is a little off-topic anyway. Isn't this thread about our opinions on the draft, not where women are placed in the military?
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
October 23rd, 2009 at 12:50pm
nah. before they start tearing innocent people away from their lives and putting them in the middle of war, they should except homosexuals who want to join.
correct me if you think I'm wrong or if I havn't considered a certain aspect of this, but it seems to me that a lot war is fought just because a small handful of douchebags can't get along and agree with things. I think WWII was worth it, but not the ones after it...nope.

apparantly so many people go to war over things started and run by a few people. I find that amazing.