Don't have an account? Create one!

The Death Sentence.

AuthorMessage
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
January 3rd, 2007 at 10:35pm
(Note: Am a total noob. Just stumbled across this and the AP history student in me is desperate to reply)

I think the important issue here is: are you willing to run the risk that the person who is executed is innocent? I definitely am not.

Yes, it is a tremendous tax expense. Which is why I think money should be put into preventing crime. Obviously, you're still going to have the regular sociopaths out there who crop up in every population, but if you could eliminate (even partially eliminate) the prisoners being housed for drugs, gang-related violence, robberies, etc, it would greatly lessen the money needed to run the prisons - plus, all those pyscho killers could be kept closer watch on, so they wouldn't escape [woot!].

Oh, and that whole "well what if someone murdered someone you loved" defense: an extremely important part of the United States justice system is that the jury be impartial. Because it's the "justice" system, not the "crazy irrational greif-driven revenge" system. Also, hasn't anyone seen The Interpreter?

Plus: Executed people can often be seen as martyrs, like John Brown, the Harper's Ferry guy. [civil-war related burn!] Which would only strengthen the commitment of whatever fanatical group he/she is representing, which would lead to more violence.
domeofstars
Thinking Happy Thoughts
domeofstars
January 4th, 2007 at 01:11am
I don't agree with it. Mainly, because the person won't be suffering for what they did.
one less sad robot.
Demolition Lover
one less sad robot.
January 5th, 2007 at 07:10am
i think death sentence is not the right way to punish criminals. i would just put murderers to the solitary confinement
for the rest of their lives, i think that would be way worse than dying. and killing people is always wrong.
Schuey4Life
Killjoy
Schuey4Life
January 5th, 2007 at 08:43am
I'm sorry but i have to go against most of the people on here.
My brother was shot and killed for no reason and the way i see it, if my brother doesn't get a second chance at life than the person who took his life doesn't deserve a second chance.
It doesn't just destory one life, the lives of everyone left behind are never the same.
Taking an innocent life is UNFORGIVABLE.
gemima
Killjoy
gemima
January 6th, 2007 at 02:47pm
Im against it cos if someone killed an innocent person they should live the rest of their lives being punished for their actions and not have a kind of escape route from it all by being given the death sentence. Also its kinda hypocritical cos even if someone killed someone else, the people who kill the murderer with a lethal injection or whatever it is that's used are murderers themselves because they also took the last living breath from someones body... if that makes sense
i pee in the shower
Killjoy
i pee in the shower
January 6th, 2007 at 04:02pm
When you think about it letting someone rot in prison having to live with what they've done is a bigger punishment than taking their life so they are free from guilt.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
January 6th, 2007 at 04:35pm
The thing is though, that everyone saying
"Living with what they've done is a greater punishment"
that to some, it's not.
Some people feel absolutely no remorse, no sorrow, no guilt from what they've done.
morbid_dream
Jazz Hands
morbid_dream
January 6th, 2007 at 06:57pm
ceruleanrosalie.:
Against.
They should have live their lives thinking about what they did.

I totally agree!
Balthazar
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Balthazar
January 7th, 2007 at 10:46am
i don't and do agree with it.....

Because it is immoral but its also immoral for what the person did.......

Hitler if he lived wouldn't deserve a death sentence coz he thought he was doing the right thing........

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.......................
the.sound.of.black
Jazz Hands
the.sound.of.black
January 7th, 2007 at 10:31pm
In Australia, life is not life in jail. I think in my state that maximum sentence is 17 years for murder. It can be less. I think Life should mean stay in jail until you die (in some cases).

I guess murder and other crimes can't really be prevented. Each case has different circumstances that require a different sentence. I don't think the death penalty is not effective, it doesn't prevent people from commiting crimes. I don't think its good.

Off the topic a bit. I think the prison system stinks. Prisoners need rehabilitation, so that when they are released back into soicety, they do not revert back to crime. Almost everyone has a bias opinion to prisoners and criminals. No wonder why they re-offend.
Crayola_Spider_Kid
Killjoy
Crayola_Spider_Kid
January 8th, 2007 at 03:48am
i believe the death sentence should be something that is legal, but optional to the criminal. To each person, death can be worse or rotting in prison can be worse. Usually, crimes resulting in death sentence link with not just killing but with brutal murder. planned killing that took time consuming thought and wasn`t just planned for the person to be killed quickly. it was most likely that the murder was planned for pain and punishment for the victim(s). the other brutal killing (as mentioned before), was rape and murder. either way, the typical scenarios for murders to results with the killer on deathrow, support the idea that the criminals themselves are also victims. in such cases, how are we suppose to decide for someone else? only the criminals know themselves and what they are exactly cappable of. If the criminal is truly repentant for their crime they would choose the worser of the two punishments for them. unfortunately, they might seek the punishment that they favored. but either way, if the criminal knows they chose their known punishment, it might torment them by the fact that they chose it and it was their own doing like the crime it self. im not trying to force upon people my beliefs, but is simply trying to share her heartfelt opinion on the matter.
Aishwarya in town
Awake and Unafraid
Aishwarya in town
January 8th, 2007 at 03:57am
lisa_aus:
Off the topic a bit. I think the prison system stinks. Prisoners need rehabilitation, so that when they are released back into soicety, they do not revert back to crime. .

Some prisons are very, very advanced. For example, the San Quentin prison in California has teachers, and whatnot. Certain prisons do provide rehabilitation, although it's probably difficult for people on death row.
Almost everyone has a bias opinion to prisoners and criminals. No wonder why they re-offend
Society has full rights to those opinions, legally and morally. It's also pretty understandable why they might think negatively of rapists, murderers.
the.sound.of.black
Jazz Hands
the.sound.of.black
January 9th, 2007 at 02:44am
haha yeah I understand. That's why I said off the topic. I know in Australia I think maybe 2 states offer a rehabilitation program. But people who are in prisons for theft, etc should have rehabilitation as part of their sentence. I think as a society we should help them.

and I agree with Crayola_Spider_Kid about it being voluntary.
geradsredskittle666
Really Not Okay
geradsredskittle666
January 9th, 2007 at 06:59am
the death penalty is like leagal murder
black_parade_me
Killjoy
black_parade_me
January 9th, 2007 at 08:13pm
i take both sides because you should make the person get what they diserve but then i think its illegal
konton.
Always Born a Crime
konton.
January 13th, 2007 at 01:40am
No one deserves to die. Period.
linaplaysthebass
Joining The Black Parade
linaplaysthebass
January 13th, 2007 at 12:52pm
I know what whoever the person is, did is horribly wrong but killing them is not the answer, its almost enforcing what they did in the first place. i am absolotley against the death penalty i think it is hiprocritical and inhuman its wrong, but i can see the other side
HopelessReject
Jazz Hands
HopelessReject
January 15th, 2007 at 01:18am
I'm for the death sentence simply because of this:
You take someone else's life - then give away yours.

And in my opinion death sentence is way better than being in prison your whole life.
MOSHorDIE
Killjoy
MOSHorDIE
January 17th, 2007 at 12:06pm
This is really hard, because as much as i wouldn't want some psychotic child murderer stalking the streets after their prison sentence.....i wouldn't feel right condeming that person to death....because as much as i would hate them for what they had done, i wouldnt want that person's parents to feel the pain that i would be going through. It doesn't fix anything....you'd still feel angry and you'd still be grieving afterwards anyway....just let them rot in their own filth.
HopelessReject
Jazz Hands
HopelessReject
January 17th, 2007 at 10:13pm
MOSHorDIE:
This is really hard, because as much as i wouldn't want some psychotic child murderer stalking the streets after their prison sentence.....i wouldn't feel right condeming that person to death....because as much as i would hate them for what they had done, i wouldnt want that person's parents to feel the pain that i would be going through. It doesn't fix anything....you'd still feel angry and you'd still be grieving afterwards anyway....just let them rot in their own filth.

Ok, now that i think about it... you're right.
Our world is just a very messed up place isn't it? Cry