Don't have an account? Create one!

Home schooling

AuthorMessage
Bleeding Beauty
Salute You in Your Grave
Bleeding Beauty
January 9th, 2007 at 12:05am
i have been home schooled since i started the fourth grade, im in ninth now. Ive found that its REALLY easy to get VERY far behind in your schoolwork. And i dont have very many friends because of my moms choice to home school me, i didnt have much choice in it cuz i had just finished the third grade when the choice was made.

my parents dont bother teaching me they just buy me dvds from Bob Jones University. I also have live feed classes, that are sent by satilite to my tv. theres alot of stuff that im not offered to learn, because we get my school stuff from a Christain school, that doesnt teach much about evolution, darwin, it doesnt even mention sex education, or drivers ed

if you ask me, id much rather be in a normal high school right now, with friends. cuz being cooped up in a house all week can be very boring, anti-social, and controling.
Miss Manipulation
Jazz Hands
Miss Manipulation
January 12th, 2007 at 12:41pm
I have been homeschooled my whole life, so here's my opinion:

Homeschooling is different for every person. If your parent/teacher at home is actually doing their job the right way, making sure you get your work done, etc., it can be a very very good thing. I'm graduating this year, and I'm a full grade ahead.

Now on the other hand, homeschooling is very, very, very bad if the person responsible for instructing you is not qualified to do so. My best friend suffered for years because her mother didn't know how to teach her. She's in public school now and she's doing much better. She is a little behind, because her mother was so careless, but she's making up work fast.

As for the argument about social problems:

My older sister already graduated after being homeschooled all the way through high school (and she received a full scholarship to her first college choice). She did have some trouble adjusting when she first left home, but I don't think it was because she was homeschooled. She is naturally a shy person, and I don't think it's fair to say that homeschooling will leave you socially inept. Sometimes that's just a personal problem. Me and my sister were both homeschooled through high school and we are completely different in social situations. I'm considerably more at ease than she is, because I'm naturally more outgoing. You can't say "homeschooling is bad for social life" in absolute terms because in many cases it just isn't true. I have friends, some are homeschooled, and some are not, and they are ALL completely well-adjusted individuals.
XxThemvsYouvsMexX
Jazz Hands
XxThemvsYouvsMexX
January 19th, 2007 at 12:04am
I've been homeschooled for 7 years now, I love it and I totally agree with Miss Manipulation.
madame angst
Salute You in Your Grave
madame angst
January 20th, 2007 at 04:30pm
Wow. I agree with most of you here, I mean homeschooling definitely takes away the "real world" preparation. In public schools, there is a whole bunch of diversity and points of views. You get a better deal. >__>
Basically public school is like the internet. You also learn a lot of random stuff.
And homeschooling is like a computer game.
That's what I seem to understand, anyray.
And while it may seem as though I am for public schools, I actually want to be homeschooled. I often feel uncomfortable in social situations and I feel as though kids in my classes are stunting my learning. Neutral
The bad thing about being homeschooled in my situation would be that I would have to clean my house 24/7.
DX
x_cemeterygates_x
Jazz Hands
x_cemeterygates_x
January 23rd, 2007 at 11:02pm
Ok everybody... I've been homeschooled my entire life.

The good thing about being homeschooled? I get to learn what I want, when I want, and however I want. I can have school at noon, or I can have school at 11 o'clock at night.

It drives me completely insane when people go "Oh, homeschooling is bad because they don't socialize and don't get into the real world as much!"
I mean, obviously somebody who says that is not homeschooled, because they have no idea what it's like.
I socialize all the time. I have a big circle of friends that I see tons. What was I doing yesterday (Monday)? I was skiing all day with my friends.
What am I going to do on Thursday? Go to taekwondo class - WITH MY FRIENDS. And then where am I going on Saturday? I'm going to Washington DC with - whoa - my friends.
A lot of people assume that I am either a nerd, really religious, have some sort of mental issues which is the reason I'm not in school, or I have sucky social skills, and none of those things are true. Personally I think I get to be around a lot of different people - my friends vary in age from 11 to 18. I mean, when you're in school, you're in a classroom with everybody the same age as you, and you can't talk anyway.

I'm not homeschooled because I have issues or anything, I'm homeschooled because my parents thought school sucked and they wanted to make it better for their kids.
My older sister - she's 18 years old and started college when she was 15 - made a movie called "misconceptions". I'll upload it on my youtube account as soon as possible. The movie is about the common misconceptions of being a homeschooler.

Sure, there are some wing nuts in the homeschooling community that ARE sheltered and DON'T socialize well, but there are also some messed up school kids too. I just find it unfair how I can't even play a stupid game like runescape [although I quit that game months ago] without people taunting me and saying I'm an unsocialized idiot.

x-Xpapercut tearsX-x:
I think its also a shame because you can only learn as much as your parents can teach you, no more than what they know.

And also, that is completely not true.
My mom doesn't know anything about the computer aside from how to use the basic features, and one day a few months ago, I picked up the book "Creating webpages simplified" off of the shelf and started reading it. I am now studying advanced HTML, and neither of my parents know anything involved with web design.
I taught everything to myself. So homeschoolers can learn things that their parents don't know. And I doubt that the average math teacher at a school knows advanced HTML anyway....
X_meese_X
Fabulous Killjoy
X_meese_X
January 24th, 2007 at 05:57pm
I agree with Mandi. I'm homeschooled aswell, and most people consider me an uneducated retarded. When, in reality, I'm homeschooled so I can get a better education.
Miss Manipulation
Jazz Hands
Miss Manipulation
January 24th, 2007 at 10:13pm
x_cemeterygates_x:
Ok everybody... I've been homeschooled my entire life.

The good thing about being homeschooled? I get to learn what I want, when I want, and however I want. I can have school at noon, or I can have school at 11 o'clock at night.

It drives me completely insane when people go "Oh, homeschooling is bad because they don't socialize and don't get into the real world as much!"
I mean, obviously somebody who says that is not homeschooled, because they have no idea what it's like.
I socialize all the time. I have a big circle of friends that I see tons. What was I doing yesterday (Monday)? I was skiing all day with my friends.
What am I going to do on Thursday? Go to taekwondo class - WITH MY FRIENDS. And then where am I going on Saturday? I'm going to Washington DC with - whoa - my friends.
A lot of people assume that I am either a nerd, really religious, have some sort of mental issues which is the reason I'm not in school, or I have sucky social skills, and none of those things are true. Personally I think I get to be around a lot of different people - my friends vary in age from 11 to 18. I mean, when you're in school, you're in a classroom with everybody the same age as you, and you can't talk anyway.

I'm not homeschooled because I have issues or anything, I'm homeschooled because my parents thought school sucked and they wanted to make it better for their kids.
My older sister - she's 18 years old and started college when she was 15 - made a movie called "misconceptions". I'll upload it on my youtube account as soon as possible. The movie is about the common misconceptions of being a homeschooler.

Sure, there are some wing nuts in the homeschooling community that ARE sheltered and DON'T socialize well, but there are also some messed up school kids too. I just find it unfair how I can't even play a stupid game like runescape [although I quit that game months ago] without people taunting me and saying I'm an unsocialized idiot.

x-Xpapercut tearsX-x:
I think its also a shame because you can only learn as much as your parents can teach you, no more than what they know.

And also, that is completely not true.
My mom doesn't know anything about the computer aside from how to use the basic features, and one day a few months ago, I picked up the book "Creating webpages simplified" off of the shelf and started reading it. I am now studying advanced HTML, and neither of my parents know anything involved with web design.
I taught everything to myself. So homeschoolers can learn things that their parents don't know. And I doubt that the average math teacher at a school knows advanced HTML anyway....

All of that is exactly true. You go, girl!! I especially appreciate the part about the "nuts" who make the rest of us look bad.
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
January 26th, 2007 at 06:15pm
I haven't been homeschooled. I rather like public school and everything...

I think homeschooling is okay is some situations like the better education or problems with a school district. My friend does online schooling, and already she's almost done with her whole year and will graduate early....it almost seems weird to me because I would think you'd have a heavier work load with online schooling to graduate early, as you would have if you were graduating early from public school...yet she says it's easy. It kind of makes me think what kind of darn schooling that is, if it should even be school at all. O_o

But anyways, I also know of a girl at my choir camp who was homeschooled for a large portion of her life. She said that as much as it was a good education and she had a lot of friends, once she went to a public school it was hard for her to adjust to learning the way the other kids were, having to raise your hand and wait to speak or ask a question, not having the individual attention. It also impaired her ability to be more social in bigger groups of kids at school. She almost felt inferior, mostly because she hadn't been around such big groups before.
X_meese_X
Fabulous Killjoy
X_meese_X
January 27th, 2007 at 06:45pm
That type of thing is very much an individual problem. Organization is a thing that most homeschooled kids don't get a lot of. Lines, hand-raising and loads of other stuff isn't required in homeschooling.

Homeschooling makes it much easier to advance in grades, aswell as material. When it's a one-on-one situation, or ever a one-on-two the individual attention makes it much easier to comprehend any given subject. Especially now, with No Child Left Behind, more time is being spent teaching kids how to take a test, and pass it. Meaning that they also progress at a slower rate in their normal studies. Plus, we don't have to worry about quizes or report cards. We just learn the material, for the most part, parents, or whoevers teacher the particular subject doesn't need to see test results to prove to themselves that the subject has bee ntaught successfully.
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
January 27th, 2007 at 10:58pm
My friends does quizzes in her homeschooling. O_o

If she doesn't get certain grades, she has to do it all over again. Her parents want her to know the material. Quizzes in our public schools are to make sure that we know the material. If we don't obviously we don't pass the quiz.
X_meese_X
Fabulous Killjoy
X_meese_X
January 28th, 2007 at 10:36pm
Every homeschooling family is different. Soem grade their kids, others don't, some do online curriculums, others don't. Some even make up their own curriculum (which is called "unschooling" something I'm not a fan of).

Quiz or not, the individual attention homeschoolers receive, often times, makes it easier for us to move ahead.
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
January 28th, 2007 at 11:25pm
That's how it should be in public schools, unfortunately it's just not possible because there's so many kids. There are still a lot of failing kids because people are simply too lazy and don't try and some teachers really do not do their part to help. I think I used to want to be homeschooled because of that, but I'm too social for my own good...I talk a lot during my classes, so..
Daemoness
Jazz Hands
Daemoness
January 29th, 2007 at 12:51am
Private schools, public schools, home schooling... it's all the same. It's about whether the student is going to work andif the student wants to be there. If the parents are supportive it often works out better, if the parents are oppressive and pile on the pressure it's usually bloody hard, if the parents don't care then it's entirely up to the student.
I go to a public school and there are kids here who haven't done a single bit of school work in their lives, there are kids who sit at computers all day and don't know how to socialize with real people, only chat rooms and such. In my town if you're going to get 'bullied' then you'll get it no matter where you go to school.
x_cemeterygates_x
Jazz Hands
x_cemeterygates_x
January 29th, 2007 at 06:19pm
Keep in mind there's a difference between unschooling and homeschooling. Homeschooling is when you sit down and have school at home, such as the kind of people that do quizzes and tests, and unschoolers (I'm unschooled) learn at their own pace and learn by doing and are really relaxed about it. You think that that method of education wouldn't work very well, but it's great... I learn some pretty random subjects, and it's not like I'm behind school kids or anything.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
January 30th, 2007 at 04:56pm
It's good in the sence that you are less likely to be bullied, and you have more freedom.
But would it stop you getting bullied?
I read somewhere of this girl who was homeschooled, but whenever she walked up to the shops or park or something, other kids shunned her as "The kid who's too posh to go to shcool"
If anything, homeschooling almnost eliminates the everyday situations that young people face, such as being around other people whom they don't know, their skills of talking to people are drastically decrased as well.

Also, in some subjects, take science for instance, you don't get to do all the experiments and the fun parts. And when it comes to GCSEs and exams, would you be less prepared because oof it?
samantha connolly
In The Murder Scene
samantha connolly
January 30th, 2007 at 05:14pm
My best friends are homeschooled and one of my 16 year old friends graduated high school at 15, due to how fast he could move due to homeschooling. It does you know, create a bit of real world shock when you attend college, but I think that happens to everyone and it shouldn't be that bad if your parents have been fairly strict academically with you.
Suicidal_MCR_Fan_XX
Killjoy
Suicidal_MCR_Fan_XX
January 30th, 2007 at 05:21pm
I'm Homeschooled And so is my best friend eric. we both have quite a few friends though I admit not as many as kids in school. but we are also much nicer than kids in school. (And In this town that ain't hard to do) So yeah homeschool has pros and cons but we like it much more than public school>
X_meese_X
Fabulous Killjoy
X_meese_X
January 30th, 2007 at 07:08pm
Baka-kun XNinjaX:
It's good in the sence that you are less likely to be bullied, and you have more freedom.
But would it stop you getting bullied?
I read somewhere of this girl who was homeschooled, but whenever she walked up to the shops or park or something, other kids shunned her as "The kid who's too posh to go to shcool"
If anything, homeschooling almnost eliminates the everyday situations that young people face, such as being around other people whom they don't know, their skills of talking to people are drastically decrased as well.

Also, in some subjects, take science for instance, you don't get to do all the experiments and the fun parts. And when it comes to GCSEs and exams, would you be less prepared because oof it?

That jumps to a few conclusions though. I'm in new situations everyday. No matter where I am, if I start a new class, I don't know anyone, if anything my social skills are increased because of the fact I'm in new situations so much. I'm pretty sure when you say "talking to people" you mean social skills, but if not.... Public speaking is an entirely different thing. I'm in loads on afterschool programs for teens, speaking, writing, everything. I'm not missing out on anythign by being homeschooled. Except for homework.

As for not being able to do scientific experiments, that assumption has absolutely no grounds. I can study science all I want. I can order supplies just like any school, test tubes, I could even order frogs or pigs to disect, if I wanted to, which I don't. I prefer virtual experiments when it comes to killing animals. I've studied more biology and environmental science already than most kids my age who go to public school.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
January 31st, 2007 at 04:36am
I think the point of it is that different things work for different people. Much as I loathe my public school, I know that if I was home-schooled I would turn into a total hermit. Or, I have a friend who goes to boarding school. They use the Harkness method there, which is where everyone (students and teacher) sits around a circular table and has discussions on the lessons. The course work is really intense and there's a lot of individualized attention, to challenge students as far as they can go. That's what works for her. Even if it was feasable to do that for every student, it wouldn't work for all of them.

I don't think one method (home schooling vs public schooling vs private schooling) is any better than the other in general. For the majority of people, public schooling is for the best / works just fine, and probably if they were in home schooling they'd be totally unmotivated and would learn nothing. And then, for some kids, homeschooling works best, and if they were in public schools they'd probably fail everything because of being bored by their lessons and not being able to stick to the set curriculum. Or whatever.

To say that homeschooled kids can never have the full experience that public schooling provides (w/ awkward social interactions and forced public speaking and all) is just the same as saying that kids in traditional schools can't get as well-rounded an education as homeschooled kids. We're all different, we're all in different situations, and we all have different needs. The important part is recognizing that and making sure the people who need different things than the masses get it.
dread_cry999
Fabulous Killjoy
dread_cry999
January 31st, 2007 at 02:02pm
I think home schooling depends on your situation. If the commute to a school is too far, or if you have living conditions that may be comprimised in such a social environment, then home schooling is necessary.

Otherwise, I feel it is important for children to grow up in a social, school environment, especially elementary school, because people develope social skills that way. Even those who get picked on (i can say this cause i was)... Even those who get/got picked on can work more effectively in a social environment then a homeschooled child.

I had a friend who was homeschooled and once we saw eachother in highschool again, he was so socially awquard i could stand being around him because he couldn't cope with the crowds and such. Its difficult for those children (the homeschooled) to get used to being in society after such a long period of seclusion