Don't have an account? Create one!

Home schooling

AuthorMessage
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
March 28th, 2007 at 09:51pm

I don't agree with homeschooling.
I know that for me, it would have been impossible.
For me to learn, I actually need to be in a social setting, and to be able to discuss things with other people in a class. Otherwise none of it sinks in.
I know it's not the same for everybody, but I think the discussions of work/notes really does help the majority of people, you get different perspectives of things as well.

Bloody_TeaParty
Why do you think that people who go to school are more sheltered than people who are homeschooled?
Believe me, I'm anything but sheltered.
amandaaa
Joining The Black Parade
amandaaa
March 29th, 2007 at 07:09pm
It can be a good thing if ones taught properly, and is getting out and socializing. Sadly, my experience wasn’t like that at all. I’ve been home schooled since the 7th grade but it wasn’t proper. I hardly did any work, and if I did it was by myself. Once I turned 16 I quit.

Yes, I was very isolated and I still am today. I can’t walk outside without thinking the worst is going to happen. I also don’t have the ability to sit still and learn anymore because of not being structured by a teacher.
X_meese_X
Fabulous Killjoy
X_meese_X
March 30th, 2007 at 05:39pm
^^ That sounds like depression or an anxiety attack. Not something that comes from isolation or lack of knowledge.

And to all, by 'I don't agree with homeschooling' do you mean that it didn't work for you, or that you don't condone it for anyone?
The Doctor
Salute You in Your Grave
The Doctor
April 3rd, 2007 at 09:04am
I don't think there’s anything wrong with home schooling. One of my best friends was home schooled until yr 8 and there is nothing wrong with her. Her social skills weren't messed up, she wasn't behind anyone and she totally got the 'raise your hand' rule (That needs to be taught if your child is going to school after being home schooled for years.). She's constantly doing well, and is getting the grads she needs. She has a large group of friends who love her, and don't think bad of her because she was home schooled.
Her sister was also home schooled, and she is one of the smartest girls in her year, she's had letters sent home about how great her effort in class is and how well she's doing. She also has a big group of friends, who love her for who she is.
They, and their two younger sisters, were/are being home schooled to protect them from bullying. Is that wrong? Is it bad for parents to want the best for their children? No, it's not. They were taught extremely well, they had friends, they're polite, sweet, sensible etc.

It all depends on whether the parent is bothered to teach their child, and whether they can be bothered to make sure they're child is keeping up, and has a social life. In this case, yes, their mother was prepared to do all of this, and it shows.

Leonardo DiCaprio
Crash Queen
Leonardo DiCaprio
April 3rd, 2007 at 01:27pm
I`m homeschooled. I have been since second grade and i`m now in 10th.
I was pulled out of public school because my parents didn`t like the school system
and I was advanced for my age and would probably be able to skip several grades.
The best thing about homeschooling is the one-on-one education.
A lot of people assume that homeschoolers are hermits and socially un-educated
but that`s quite wrong. Here we have homeschooled organazations like GRACE,
homeschooled sports teams that compete with other homeschooled organazations
and homeschooled proms.
UndeservedSympathy
Killjoy
UndeservedSympathy
April 3rd, 2007 at 01:54pm
I have been homeschooling for four years and find it way better than normal school. I have learned more in the past four years than my entire eight years of normal schooling put together. Of course, I didn't have to make the transition from a giant school -- I went to a tiny K-8 Christian school that had 72 kids all told.

I teach myself. My parents are there for support and help, of course, but we don't follow a curriculum. The only actual textbooks I use are mathbooks and various things for college classes I take.

I love homeschooling, but I definitely think it needs to be right for YOU if you want it to work. Some people just do better in a school.

I think that saying homeschoolers aren't socialized is a tremendous overstatement. I happen to be more socialized than most of the people I know. Since I'm not in any kind of school or school group, I can go places during weekdays that most kids can't. And I have plenty of very good friends, thank you very much.
trunk_of_ammunition
Jazz Hands
trunk_of_ammunition
April 3rd, 2007 at 09:31pm
what's good about it is that the parents of the homeschooled child can keep a better eye on their kid so he/she doesnt get outta control
the bad things...are that the homeschooled kid ends up having little or no friends...a lot of them dont know how to interact or carry on a conversation with other people...and also...i think school is annoying but nevertheless an essential and wonderful experience...and homeschooled dudes are totally missing out on that.
Heartquake
Salute You in Your Grave
Heartquake
April 5th, 2007 at 12:51pm
good: not having to deal with bullies
can learn what you want to learn
can wake up at 10 instead of 6 ..lol i like that one
dont have to deal with teacher's CRAP
wont waste 8 hours of your day when all you learn is about 1hour of brand new information
many who are homeschooled actually do better than those who go to public schools. they are actually smarter!
bad: not enought socializing. but then those kids can always go to the YMCA or other programs like that.
XJulietLovestheBeatX
Thinking Happy Thoughts
XJulietLovestheBeatX
April 5th, 2007 at 01:38pm
asha; young modern.:

I don't agree with homeschooling.
I know that for me, it would have been impossible.
For me to learn, I actually need to be in a social setting, and to be able to discuss things with other people in a class. Otherwise none of it sinks in.
I know it's not the same for everybody, but I think the discussions of work/notes really does help the majority of people, you get different perspectives of things as well.

Bloody_TeaParty
Why do you think that people who go to school are more sheltered than people who are homeschooled?
Believe me, I'm anything but sheltered.

Because I was more used to socializing with adults and having more mature conversation. Plus I found that with that maturity i was less afraid of people judging me including people my own age. I found when I got in public school, everybody was so scared of being judged, even the "non-conformist" kids. Im just saying that seemed more sheltered to me because it seemed like the public school system and their parents kept them back from maturing.
A lot of people assume that when your homeschooled you get little to no socialization and thats just not the case if your homeschooled the right way. I had a lot of friends my own age, I went on dates, and I was even allowed to do a lot of things most of my friends werent allowed to do like spend the night at a friends house on a school night and go places by myself. Now that Im in public school, I still have a lot more freedom then my friends and its a result of being homeschooled all those years.
lay back and enjoy
Killjoy
lay back and enjoy
April 5th, 2007 at 11:52pm
My best friend is home schooled, and it's hard for her because she is the true definition of a "social butterfly." but, she is now getting good grades because she doesnt have guys and everything else distracting her.....I really haven't made up my mind on home schooling yet.
Chris Kunitz!
Joining The Black Parade
Chris Kunitz!
April 23rd, 2007 at 05:00pm
I am homeschooled. I love it. I am going to a private school for high school though. I know people believe the crock of crap that homeschoolers do not have friends and do not socialize. That is a bunch of balogna. Be homeschooled before saying that. Even some public school kids do not socialize or have any friends. It is their choice.
I have been homeschooled since 1st grade and it is awesome. I think it gives you the chance to be yourself instead of being influenced by people all around you. Not saying that is how it is for everyone though. But also, you get to learn what your parents want you to learn. I just like being homeschooled.
Homeschooling is a great idear.
ilovegerardway2much
Jazz Hands
ilovegerardway2much
May 23rd, 2007 at 04:59pm
well the good thing is you dont hav2 deal with all the nasty kids. but the bad thing is when u go2 college u HAVE2 face the world. and home schooling u is not preparing u2do that.
fxmous-lxst-words
Joining The Black Parade
fxmous-lxst-words
May 23rd, 2007 at 05:53pm
good: no cliques, so no bullying, and you won't be made fun of or any of that.
bad: it doesn't really prepare you for the real world.
Murdering_Life
Killjoy
Murdering_Life
June 7th, 2007 at 09:57am
I'm in Year 9 (english schools) and I've never been home-schooled. But I hate going to school, It's not because I'm a loner, have quite a lot of friends. But my father might start home-schooling me. The point is I'm not very sociable anyway. I'm the quiet girl in class that doesn't really talk and I think it could be better for me to be home-schooled, because in school I am afraid to put my hand up and answer questions (dunno why) and if I'm home-schooled it will be just me, so I wont be afraid. I have msn that I can talk to friends on and I have a few friends that I go out with on a night. So I would not become any less sociable than I am now!
We haven't actually made our mind up whether or not I am going to be home-schooled, but it is a definate thought in my head!
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
June 7th, 2007 at 11:29am
I think, it depends on the school and it depends on the child.
If the school is really bad, and the parents can do a better job, they should home school them. If the child learns better in a home schooled envirement, then they should be home-schooled.

I think being home schooled in a way is better, because you can learn more about any subject you want, but in school, it's just 'you have to learn this and that's that'
I for one would advantage from being home schooled, because to be honest, I don't think school teaches me the stuff I need to know. They cram in too much stuff that is unnesersary. The only trouble with being home schooled in England though, is that you still have to follow a ciriculum still, I don't know the laws for any where else.
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
June 7th, 2007 at 01:37pm
Tragic_Beauty X_X:

Because I was more used to socializing with adults and having more mature conversation. Plus I found that with that maturity i was less afraid of people judging me including people my own age. I found when I got in public school, everybody was so scared of being judged, even the "non-conformist" kids. Im just saying that seemed more sheltered to me because it seemed like the public school system and their parents kept them back from maturing.
A lot of people assume that when your homeschooled you get little to no socialization and thats just not the case if your homeschooled the right way. I had a lot of friends my own age, I went on dates, and I was even allowed to do a lot of things most of my friends werent allowed to do like spend the night at a friends house on a school night and go places by myself. Now that Im in public school, I still have a lot more freedom then my friends and its a result of being homeschooled all those years.

I have to say I'm pretty surprised someone has said that we're more sheltered. It's definitely new to me. o.o
I'm a public school-goer, and have been all my life. I've never been sheltered. If anything, my parents were raising me pretty well in comparison to some other people at my school, whose parents couldn't care any less about what they were doing.
I don't think those things have to do with being homeschooled, to be honest. I school they have to do with the fact that you're trusted. Your homeschooling environment may play a part in your trust given to you, but it's not really the primary reason. I can do nearly anything I want because of the trust I have from my parents, as long as they know where I'm going, who I'm going to be with and I have my cellphone on.
I don't even know many people in public school who are as sheltered as you described them. Maybe those are the kids in your area, but I honestly have never met any kids who are that sheltered and go to a public school, except for a few, including my friend Tina whose parents, I think, need to let her grow up. I'm a very mature person. Just because I go to a public school doesn't mean I'm deprived of mature , well, anything. =/ I participate in adult conversations, even at school.
Murdering_Life
Killjoy
Murdering_Life
June 7th, 2007 at 02:35pm
I do think it would be awkward being taught sex ed by your parents though!
Meeshell
Awake and Unafraid
Meeshell
June 7th, 2007 at 04:05pm
honestly, i think it would suck to be homeschooled....not only would i have to spend the whole day with my mom, i would be sorely lacking in the social department.....i would go nuts lol
Teenage Queen
Fabulous Killjoy
Teenage Queen
June 7th, 2007 at 10:41pm
I can't believe how many people think that if your homeschooled you have little or no social life! I'm homeschooled and have a wonderful social life. I started going into 6th grade and I love it. I've kept in touch with all my friends that I had in public school and don't have to deal with all the b.s. that other kids stir up because so and so is hanging out with the wrong person or your clothes are not from the right store. It does prepare you for the real world as some of you doubt. My mother and I are alot closer because of it and I'm thankful my parents decided to homeschool me.
Heart of Revolution
Killjoy
Heart of Revolution
June 9th, 2007 at 01:56am
I was homeschooled when I was younger and loved it. Having an active social life was never a problem; I attended many different classes in accordance with my personal interests. I definitely felt like I was learning at a higher pace than my friends who attended public schools, and I had an easier time interacting with people of different age groups than they seemed to.

I started attending public school in ninth grade, and I was honestly quite bored a lot of the time. The classes were dull and repetitive, most kids seemed to have no interest in learning, and all the cliques were quite bothersome.

Homeschooling can be wonderful if done property. It takes a lot of work and commitment, but I think it's definitely capable of paying off in the end.