Don't have an account? Create one!

Home schooling

AuthorMessage
X_meese_X
Fabulous Killjoy
X_meese_X
February 28th, 2007 at 12:20pm
I think you're kind of getting my point. I don't think that homeschooling to separate yourself from the rest of the world is okay. I've encountered people like that first hand, and from doing so, I've learned that people such as that have no business calling themselves 'homeschoolers' but 'no-schoolers'.

That movie also made claims that their is no such thing as global warming, and that all homosexuals go to hell. Showing that everything that is stated there is not exactly acurate. According to a 2000-2001 Barna survey, although 91% of homeschoolers homeschooling at that time said they were Christians, only 49% percent could be classified as practicing born again Christians. Even I could be classified as a Christian, though I'm not devoted to my religion.
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
February 28th, 2007 at 11:18pm
We just got a new student who was homeschooled for the past few years. It was very different for her to come in. She clearly was a bit confused by how a lot of our system worked, but obviously she knew the gist of it. She had trouble with the whole 'raise your hand' thing, but she eventually got it. I helped her around a bit.
So while some of you are arguing the majority of homeschooled kids aren't socially challenged, the homeschool-heavy area by my house really is. They have their little clique of homeschooled friends.
xLaVenin
Killjoy
xLaVenin
February 28th, 2007 at 11:44pm
You miss out on alot of much-needed socialization and coping skills.
loaded_gun
Jazz Hands
loaded_gun
March 1st, 2007 at 07:04am
I think it's actually a pretty good idea. I would LOVE to be home schooled. But my mom didn't finish high scool and my dad didn't make the best grades and I know we don't have the money for a teacher or something.
I hate high school. I'm not a people person and I think that all the drama makes things worse. When I take work home from school I work a lot better than I do at school. I think I would make better grades if I was home schooled.
X_meese_X
Fabulous Killjoy
X_meese_X
March 1st, 2007 at 09:12am
We just got a new student who was homeschooled for the past few years. It was very different for her to come in. She clearly was a bit confused by how a lot of our system worked, but obviously she knew the gist of it. She had trouble with the whole 'raise your hand' thing, but she eventually got it. I helped her around a bit.
So while some of you are arguing the majority of homeschooled kids aren't socially challenged, the homeschool-heavy area by my house really is. They have their little clique of homeschooled friends.

So, what you're saying is that their are no groups, or social cliques in public school? Yes, I grant you many homeschoolers don't know the concept 'get in a line' or 'raise your hand', but honestly, how hard are those things to learn? And if a homeschooler can get better grades, and become a top student in their class, really, what's the harm of having to think before speaking?

You miss out on alot of much-needed socialization and coping skills.

Though kids who go to public or private school are there for much of the day, they're not there all of the time. Suggesting homeschooling doesn't prepare people for the 'real world' is a lie. First of all, by getting more attention, you develop the brain you need to actually succeed, and not just slide through. Second, colleges consider homeschoolers separately. Instead of a huge pile of billions of kids, who have to fight against each other to get in. You have a smaller pile of a few thousand homeschoolers who are being considered differently, because they are set apart from the rest. Homeschooling makes people unique, more interesting, something colleges look for.
spencer smith.
Devil's Got Your Number
spencer smith.
March 4th, 2007 at 04:53am

I always thought that home schooling is bad because you need social skills, but I have recently made a friend who was home schooled all the way until year 7, and she had no problem fitting in.

I think if you have groups or clubs that youre a part of outside of your home schooling, then its okay.

But other wise, its bad because as the person grows older,it will become harder for them to make friends.
mcr_lover_duvna
Killjoy
mcr_lover_duvna
March 4th, 2007 at 04:58am
My best friend was homeschooled since primary school and came to school for y11 and 12 and he has had a lot of trouble fitting in, he doesnt really have the same kind of social skills everyone else does. He wasnt really part of any clubs or anything when he was being taught at home.

He gets into lots of fights now because he says the wrong things at the wrong time because he doesnt know any better. Its hard for him to make new friends.
Toothy
Salute You in Your Grave
Toothy
March 4th, 2007 at 05:14am
Im sorry to hear that.

I was homeschooled for a year on a mountain.(Mt Bulla) in Melbourne.I was 8. My dad worked at the petrol station there.
Best year of my life Very Happy .
Although I wouldn't want to do it for my whole school career.
It was a great experiance though. There were only about four other kids my age that lived on the mountain , one of them being my brother.
I still know a few of those kids, they stayed on that mountain untill they reached high school and then went down to boarding school in Melbourne.
Social skills weren't lost. But thats mainly because we were only little and only did about three hours of school a day and then went outside to play.
That was the year I developed my passion for snowboarding (Ok I'll stop with my life story).

But if it was just in you average suburbia or city, then the kid wouldn't have other kids to play with because they'd all be off at school. And theres not much to do in Suburbia by yourself.
Whereas, after I did my tutorial, I'd go meet up with the other kids and we'd get lost somewhere in the snow. And I had my older brother there who was also home schooled. But I still had my isolated Gerard Way moments.
I'd go sit somewhere and have a serious think and make up stories and shit.
(This is how I became weird)

So it really depends on the situation.

( I could write a movie about that mountain)
Mush
Bleeding on the Floor
Mush
March 4th, 2007 at 05:15am
You don't get to know new people. I wouldn't want home-schooling.
fallout vapor
Jazz Hands
fallout vapor
March 4th, 2007 at 04:35pm
In my opinion, homeschooling is just wrong. I was homeschooled my whole life and now all I ever do is listen to music and watch South Park. If I had gone to school, I might have some social skills, which are just as important as getting a good education.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
March 4th, 2007 at 05:01pm
^Home schooling might not work for you, but that doesn't mean it can't work for other people.
X_meese_X
Fabulous Killjoy
X_meese_X
March 5th, 2007 at 08:12am
Exactly. Part of it's a personality thing, too. If you were born shy, and are afraid to put yourself out there, homeschooling can either help or hurt you. It can help by not throwing you into a situation you weren't ready for- school, and be ridiculed for being quiet. Or, it can hurt you, because you don't want to make the effort to get over being shy.

Like I've said before, there are huge homeschooling groups out there. Half of them the size of actual schools. Not every child in the entire world goes to school, and not every child in the entire world is locked up in school 24/7. Plus, homeschooled or not, we do school just like those who go to "group" schools do. Though it may take us four hours as opposed to seven, there are loads of other things to do besides listen to music and watch South Park.

Most homeschoolers belong to homeschooling groups, as well as taking part in sports, plays, and various other extra curriculars. For the select few who don't, it's their parents fault, and if it is that the child doesn't want to go, then they probably would have had the same attitude that longed for seclusion in public school.
neotank
Killjoy
neotank
March 5th, 2007 at 09:38am
karo:

I got to meet loads of new people. I was homeschooled until 5th grade...I had "gym" class in the park with a group of other homeschooled kids. I went on field trips twice a month [to places like SeaWorld and whatnot] where we always got to do the behind-the-scenes stuff because we weren't part of a massive group of kids.

If you have good teachers/homeschool groups you can meet a ton of people. If it's just you and your parent....well....not so much. It's all about the approach to homeschooling, I think.

Plus, like it's been said, personality is a HUGE factor. I went to classroom school for 5th grade onward and I loved it. I loved homeschooling too...I was just ready for something different.
Toothy
Salute You in Your Grave
Toothy
March 6th, 2007 at 03:03am
neotank:
karo:

I got to meet loads of new people. I was homeschooled until 5th grade...I had "gym" class in the park with a group of other homeschooled kids. I went on field trips twice a month [to places like SeaWorld and whatnot] where we always got to do the behind-the-scenes stuff because we weren't part of a massive group of kids.

If you have good teachers/homeschool groups you can meet a ton of people. If it's just you and your parent....well....not so much. It's all about the approach to homeschooling, I think.

Plus, like it's been said, personality is a HUGE factor. I went to classroom school for 5th grade onward and I loved it. I loved homeschooling too...I was just ready for something different.

Yeh I agree. I was only homeschooled for a year, and I was around other homeschooled kids too.
But, if your parents are like the thornberrys and you live in a different jungle everyday, then ...boarding?.
Most parents would know whats best for their kids.
Obvioulsy, if you live in a city then I don't really see the point of being homeschooled.
Lady Wicked
Killjoy
Lady Wicked
March 9th, 2007 at 01:32pm
GOOD: You learn more because there are no distractions and you can't get kicked out.

BAD: Your mamma will slap you if you dont pay attention and you don't get to see you friends as often and tell them there idiots for what they did last weekend
heartache to sing
Bleeding on the Floor
heartache to sing
March 9th, 2007 at 06:53pm
reign_in_pain:
In my opinion, homeschooling is just wrong. I was homeschooled my whole life and now all I ever do is listen to music and watch South Park. If I had gone to school, I might have some social skills, which are just as important as getting a good education.

Um, when I read your post it was like I was reading my own life. I've been homeschooled since grade 3 (I've "graduated" now) and all I ever do is listen to music and watch South Park (and work on my art). I have literally 0 friends. I think that if you don't go to school, you miss out on a lot of experiences, be them good or bad, they're still experiences you should have to help you develop coping skills, and of course, if you don't go to school, you miss out on social skills, which is something I've never had. I think it's partly my personality and partly the fact that I was homeschooled. I prefer to be an introvert/hermit/loner, it's kinda just how I am. But not having any social skills or any friends really sucks.
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
March 10th, 2007 at 08:22pm
So, what you're saying is that their are no groups, or social cliques in public school? Yes, I grant you many homeschoolers don't know the concept 'get in a line' or 'raise your hand', but honestly, how hard are those things to learn? And if a homeschooler can get better grades, and become a top student in their class, really, what's the harm of having to think before speaking?
Not really in my school. People just hang out with their friends.
Apparently it was difficult for her to get used to. She was homeschooled with her twin brother and 3 other kids. Those were the only people she ever got to know, except for when she'd go to volleyball at the park district. So eh...it was a new concept, apparently.

Homeschooling makes people unique, more interesting, something colleges look for.
I would stray from that argument. I could argue right now that there's absolutely no reason someone like me couldn't be more interesting than a random homeschooled kid. Because I know myself, I have a large musical talent and I'm a good candidate for a couple good music and art colleges. I'm someone who's good to talk to, I'm talented, and I'm intelligent, and I've been in public school my entire life.
YourStarlessEyes
Killjoy
YourStarlessEyes
March 25th, 2007 at 09:29pm
There is nothing bad about it, but I think that the child might not behave since this is their parent, and in their opinion, mom and dad aren't very smart.

This is my opinion. I have to say, I am very unsure about it, because there are many different reasons why this could be a good thing and a bad thing.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
March 25th, 2007 at 09:35pm
I don't like homeschooling personally.
It's not something I would ever do for my kids and I told my mom I wouldn't live with her if I had to be home schooled.
I like the socialization that comes from school.

But... under no circumstances do I think it's shouldn't be allowed, etc.

I don't like it, but someone else might.
XJulietLovestheBeatX
Thinking Happy Thoughts
XJulietLovestheBeatX
March 27th, 2007 at 03:52pm
I was homeschooled all through elementary school and when I went to public school in 6th grade, I found I was significantly more social and comfortable with people then a lot of the kids who had been in always been in public school. I think its because I was used to being around more adults and I was taught at an early age to be comfortable with myself and how to be more expressive. Its my opinion that the kids in sn school are way more sheltered from society then homeschooled kids