Don't have an account? Create one!

C-Section Being An Option.

AuthorMessage
demolitionlover1031
Jazz Hands
demolitionlover1031
January 14th, 2007 at 11:14pm
I think C-sections should be an option in the cases of women going through high risk pregnancies, etc.
RockMomma
Killjoy
RockMomma
January 19th, 2007 at 02:42pm
i havent read all the replys yet.

as a mother of 3 all vaginal births i can say that its not as bad as its seems. yes it hurts but its managable there are drungs to take to help with the pain. i used just Gas and Air (entinox) with my 3 and managed i didnt tear or rip at all no stitches and was walking around with in 2 or 3 hours of having baby. C-sections are imobile for upto 24 hours cant get out of bed and recover time is upto 6 weeks if not longer. also in UK alot of car insures wont insure a woman who has a c-section for 6 weeks.
After my 2nd i was up and about and home the next day.
after 3rd i was up and about the next day too tho that was a hard time of it and i was on a drip for 10 hours but it was not too bad.

and you forget about it
well i did hence the 3 kids

im allfor people having an emergancy C-section but to have one just cos yu wanna pick the date babyis born or cos your scared of pain or cos you/hubby dosnet want your bits to be stretched then tahts not right but its up to the individual.

BTW stretched vaginas is not always true. mines fine. ther are always excersizes to do that help tone up down there after.

just my opinion

Kiz
RockMomma
Killjoy
RockMomma
January 19th, 2007 at 02:51pm
House Master Way:
Bloodraine:
Yara:
9/10 women who have vaginal births rip their vaginas and have to have them sewn up.

Do you by any chance have a source for that?
I'm not questioning it, just curious, i've never heard anyone say that before...

its called the episiotomy,where they cut the skin between your vagina and your anus (the skin's called perineum).it's a must for every woman having their first child because the vaginal opening is not wide enough,but some lucky women dont need it due to them having wider waists or the vaginal opening had exceeded the required amount that the baby can just slip through the vaginal canal. )

this is not strictly true i knwo loads of first time mums that didnt need the cut. its not a MUST. in the UK they only do theses if
A) the mum starts to tear as hte straight cut is easier to heal then a jaggared tear
B) they need to use forceps/ventouse to get baby out.
if a mum to be massages her perinium with massage oil inteh last few weeks of pregnancy that can help it stretch and whenteh Midwife says stop pushing as head comes out the mum stops it gives the skin time to stretch slowly

Kiz
Quinn Allman
Salute You in Your Grave
Quinn Allman
January 21st, 2007 at 07:55pm
C-Sections should deff be an option. If doctors disregarded them, it'd be fatal to the mother, baby, or both. I was born that way. My mother had a hard time. Imagine if the world was against them o.O...A LOT more deaths.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
January 23rd, 2007 at 10:50pm
Tanya1979:
druscilla_way:
I think that if you want to have a C-Section birth you should be able to.
No one should get to control how you have birth.
It's just another version of the pro-anti abortion argument.

What? No it's not Honny. I am completely for the no C-Section unless it is needed. The infections are not a pretty thing, the losing of the blood and your iron dropping ian't either. It's pretty bad when you have a C-Section and right after your sergery you are arguing with your doctor about getting a blood transfusion, because your iron is too low and your blood is too thinned. I personaly don't want a blood transfusion. This might not be a hazard anymore, but I am still afraid of getting tainted blood. Eventhough it is said that in Canada, where I am from they have the cleanest blood, because the blood is screened so well.

It's a woman's right to decide how she wants to give birth, not the government's.
Quinn Allman
Salute You in Your Grave
Quinn Allman
January 24th, 2007 at 12:13am
I think only if the mother and/or baby is at risk, a C-section is the next option. Otherwise you should give birth the natural way.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
January 24th, 2007 at 10:38pm
Give Them Blood:
I think only if the mother and/or baby is at risk, a C-section is the next option. Otherwise you should give birth the natural way.

Why?And does the "natural way" mean you can't use drugs?
Quinn Allman
Salute You in Your Grave
Quinn Allman
January 24th, 2007 at 10:47pm
druscilla_way:
Give Them Blood:

No, it doesn't mean the use of no drugs. I meant through the birth canal.

Why? If the mother or baby could die during birth, the doctor should perform a C-section.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
January 24th, 2007 at 10:59pm
Give Them Blood:
druscilla_way:
Give Them Blood:

Why? If the mother or baby could die during birth, the doctor should perform a C-section.

I meant why do you believe she should give birth the natural way unless there's danger to her and her baby?
Quinn Allman
Salute You in Your Grave
Quinn Allman
January 24th, 2007 at 11:03pm
druscilla_way:
Give Them Blood:
druscilla_way:
Give Them Blood:

I meant why do you believe she should give birth the natural way unless there's danger to her and her baby?

When I think of the "natural way" I think of regular labor. Baby coming out head first and so on. I don't think a C-section should be performed volunatarily unless needed because you're opening up the mother to get the baby out.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
January 24th, 2007 at 11:08pm
I still think it should be the mother's choice.
Quinn Allman
Salute You in Your Grave
Quinn Allman
January 24th, 2007 at 11:13pm
^You're right. I would leave it up to the mother. I actually have mixed feelings on it. I go back and forth. I think about the safety of the mother and child. I was born through C-section only because my mother had an extremely hard time so I thought for a while it was an option if it could be fatal to the child or mother.
Cap'n Scumbag.
Shotgun Sinner
Cap'n Scumbag.
January 25th, 2007 at 05:58am

need would be the key word here.
but so many people are wrapped up in material things that theyre wants and needs seem to intertwine
i think that having a c-section is defintely a mothers choice.
but would she want to put her baby and herself at risk?

xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
January 25th, 2007 at 06:13pm
but would she want to put her baby and herself at risk?
-----

The chance of something going seriously wrong with the baby would be higher with a vaginal birth. If the chord is wrapped around its neck, vaginal birth becomes a rare option...
Butters
Salute You in Your Grave
Butters
February 28th, 2007 at 04:54am
If ladies have c-sections when they have their baby, then they wont be awake when their baby has first come into this world, i think that the mother should see when the baby opens his or her eyes for the first time, its just a moment that mothers and their childeren should share. so i think natural births are much better than c-sections
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
February 28th, 2007 at 05:32pm
XxX-LeanneIero-XxX:
If ladies have c-sections when they have their baby, then they wont be awake when their baby has first come into this world, i think that the mother should see when the baby opens his or her eyes for the first time, its just a moment that mothers and their childeren should share. so i think natural births are much better than c-sections
Actually, they can be awake, and from what I hear, usually are.
There is something called an epidural, which kills the pain, but allows the mother to stay consious.
Casimir Pulaski Day
Shotgun Sinner
Casimir Pulaski Day
March 1st, 2007 at 12:56am
However you want to give birth should be up to you. I don't htink it makes a difference which one you choose, based on your preferences. I don't see it hurting anybody on purpose.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
March 31st, 2007 at 03:01am
I apologise for bringing back an old thread, but this topic is of particular interest to me since I'm due to give birth in a few months.

What I perceive the point of this topic to be about is that, if you're capable of having a vaginal birth, should you have the option of an elective C-section, for reasons such as 'I'm scared of the pain' or 'I don't want my bits to be all stretched out afterwards, my husband won't like it'?
In my opinion, electing to have a C-section for reasons other than the health of mother and baby is outright pathetic.

The World Health Organistaion recommends a C-section rate of 3 - 5%, however in today's society where women are being selfish and obsessed with their own body image (ie, being a little, uhh, floppy down there), the rate is fast climbing towards 15% and beyond.

C-sections are all well and good when there is a real danger towards the mother or baby, for instance if the umbilical cord becomes tangled, or labour has been going on for 24+ hours and the baby begins to become distressed, and of course it should be an option WHEN IT IS NECESSARY. My brother and I were both C-section babies and the reason for that was because my mother's cervix simply wouldn't dilate any further than 6cm, there was no option but to cut her open.

People seem to think it's as easy as 'cut, deliver, sew, done' and I can tell you it's nothing like that. The first part is easy, cut, clamp, deliver, sew, but as someone mentioned previously, it's in fact a major surgery. Having a vaginal birth may be painful, but there is no reason a woman can't choose to have drugs administered to help her through this pain, and once you expel the baby through the canal, you rest for a few hours and then you're fine to get up, walk around, hold and feed your baby, and go home within 24 hours (a friend of mine was sent home less than eight hours after giving birth, she was fine). When you have a C-section, you're laid up flat on your back for six weeks, you can't comfortably hold and breastfeed your child because of the stitches in your belly, and having a C-section weakens your uterus significantly, so much so that in some cases it's advisable to never try for more children because of the risk or rupture and miscarriage. Besides, having stitches through a bunch of skin, muscle and other tissues all the way down isn't painless - and unlike natural birth, where the pain fades after a day or so, you're stuck with it for the entire healing process, which can take up to 12 weeks.

And what for? So that you can stay 'tight' down there to please your partner or appease your own stupid body image? Get over yourselves. I've already discussed this with the midwives taking care of me, and I'm adamant that unless there is a definite risk to mine or my daughter's life, I will be heaving and panting and pushing the baby out the way nature intended it to - which isn't to say that I won't be begging for drugs, hell, if I feel like I need gas or an epidural, you can bet I'll be taking it. But this selfish 'I don't want to ruin my private parts' is absolutely pathetic, just as 'I'm scared of the pain' is.
Fact: Childbirth is excruciating. You don't want to experience that pain, don't get pregnant. Adopt.
Fact: Unless there is a risk to mother or baby, electing to have a C-section is pure selfishness and shouldn't be encouraged by doctors or midwives at all.
Fact: It's been proven that breech babies (feet-first) are totally capable of being born naturally - it takes a little longer but a capable medical team will deliver a baby feet or butt-first with no risk to mother or baby, so in my opinion a C-section for that situation isn't necessary unless the doctor decides that the individual circumstance is risky.
Fact: If you're so worried about your bits and pieces not being the way they were before, realise that there are exercises designed to get you back to the way you were before baby. If all else fails, save up and get some cosmetic surgery downstairs.
trunk_of_ammunition
Jazz Hands
trunk_of_ammunition
April 3rd, 2007 at 09:33pm
i dont understand why not
i, personally, prefer natural birth
but hey..everyone's different
Morning Stars.
Salute You in Your Grave
Morning Stars.
May 2nd, 2007 at 06:53am
if my mum didnt have a c section, i wouldnt be writing this right now, so im all for it.