Don't have an account? Create one!

Mental Disorders

AuthorMessage
maudlinromance
Bleeding on the Floor
maudlinromance
November 15th, 2006 at 07:29pm
I understand what you mean Broken Smile. But the thing is is that they need to be diagnosed with something by a professional. We can all say serial killers and nuts. Thing is that it needs to be named. I quite agree that some things can't be cured, no matter how much we believe and how much recearch is done.
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
November 16th, 2006 at 09:20am
I watched a tv show last night and it showed that statistically in america there are more people with mental disorders in prisons than in state mental hospitals. This makes me so sad, yes maybe they are criminals, maybe they have committed crimes, but if it is because they are mentally ill then they need the correct support and help, which can not, and is not given in prisons.
voice4mygeneration65
Jazz Hands
voice4mygeneration65
November 19th, 2006 at 10:50pm
Diana; a teenager.:
I actually did a report about Bipolar Disorder. And my brother has autism. Albert Einstein had (or atleast I think) he had Ausbergers (or how you spell it). That is what my cousin has. My aunt has Schizophrenia. I have learned that sometimes they should be cured. But others either have no cure or they shouldn't, like in Einsteins case. He was a genius.

As some who has Aspergers (that is the proper spelling), it isn't a thing that should be ignored because from experiance and from reading adapting to normal social life is extremely difficult because of how people with AS view the world. Yes, it is true that most with Aspergers come of as genius but inside they struggle and often battle other disorders like depression and have higher suicide rates. Also, Aspergers is a higher functioning form of Autism, so it falls on what is called the Autistic Spectrum. The thing with Aspergers that is difficult is that it is often misdiagnosed and wasn't made an offical disorder untill 1994. For me, my doctors didn't bring up Aspergers to me until spring of my freshmen year and I wasn't offically diagnosed until this summer. Simply put, it's a disorder that is often misunderstood.
voice4mygeneration65
Jazz Hands
voice4mygeneration65
November 19th, 2006 at 10:52pm
Bloodraine:
Poopsie:
I actually did a report about Bipolar Disorder. And my brother has autism. Albert Einstein had (or atleast I think) he had Ausbergers (or how you spell it). That is what my cousin has. My aunt has Schizophrenia. I have learned that sometimes they should be cured. But others either have no cure or they shouldn't, like in Einsteins case. He was a genius.

Asperger's syndrome (AS for short)
I don't think it was ever certain Einstein suffered from Autism, but experts believe he did.

You're right. He was a genius. That isn't strictly Einstein, either, a lot of people say Jane Austen and Isaac Newton had AS. Many people with AS sometimes lack social skills, are obsessed with complex topics and can have problems communicating. I read a book once based an autism, fictional, by Celia Rees, it was called Truth or Dare. It highlited that although Aspergers is a disorder, people with AS can be brilliant. Some can work out insanely complex sums without calculators, some can predict what day a date will fall on way into the next millenia, some can draw really accurate pictures based on only one look at something, the list goes on.

Another good book is Pretending to be Normal: Living with Aspergers by Lynn Holliday
Sally Stitches.
Awake and Unafraid
Sally Stitches.
November 25th, 2006 at 02:49am
Sometimes, I feel like it's a trend to have Bipolar Disorder now. No offence to those who seriously think they do, or people diagnosed with it.

I think mental disorders should be taken seriously, and people who need help are laughed at and ridiculed too often, making them afraid to open up.

Any thoughts?
xXhopeXx
Motor Baby
xXhopeXx
November 25th, 2006 at 03:28am
i don't see why people mock people with disorders, it really annoys me, they can't help it.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
November 25th, 2006 at 11:14am
i think the two worst disorders i can think of are schizophrenia- which a lot of people have mentioned- and multiple personality disorder, which i don't think has been brought up yet.

until recently, mpd was considered to be a form of schizophrenia-this is what my health teacher taught, even though she knew it was years out of date...we got in a huge argument about it >_<. but anyway, the triggers that bring it out and the other conditions...age range, etc...are quite different.
with mpd, usually what happens is you go through a very tragic event...maybe you were molested as a child, for example. your mind can't handle it, so it creates another person inside you to sort of "protect" you. usually this "person" is sort of your polar opposite. sometimes you'll know them- as in, you'll know of them, sort of even have conversations with them- and sometimes you won't, and they'll just take over your body.

it's really hard to explain...obviously this other "person" isn't real, but to the person with the disorder, this "person" is very real.

another one that hasn't been mentioned much is anxiety disorders. they can be really scary and limiting, and-this actually happened to mikey, if i'm not mistaken-can stem into terrible depression. sometimes you'll get panic attacks for no discernable reason...like, climbing a flight of stairs can get your heart rate up, make your body think something's making you nervous, and you could have one.
maudlinromance
Bleeding on the Floor
maudlinromance
November 27th, 2006 at 08:03pm
another one that hasn't been mentioned much is anxiety disorders. they can be really scary and limiting, and-this actually happened to mikey, if i'm not mistaken-can stem into terrible depression. sometimes you'll get panic attacks for no discernable reason...like, climbing a flight of stairs can get your heart rate up, make your body think something's making you nervous, and you could have one.

Yes, Mikey had it. And your right, it can lead up to depression. But you gotta remember that there are a whole lot of anxiedy disorders and phobeas, it just isn't all panic attacks and stuff. There are different symptoms and stuff.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
November 27th, 2006 at 08:52pm
well yeah, those are just the ones i'm most familiar with.

like i said my health teacher had no clue about this stuff so my education of such is a tad shotty... it's mainly just what i researched for my own purposes.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
November 27th, 2006 at 08:52pm
well yeah, those are just the ones i'm most familiar with.

like i said my health teacher had no clue about this stuff so my education of such is a tad shotty... it's mainly just what i researched for my own purposes.

eep, double post Mad
morbid_dream
Jazz Hands
morbid_dream
November 28th, 2006 at 09:30am
I think MD's are a bull shit waste of time!!
stannis baratheon.
Salute You in Your Grave
stannis baratheon.
November 28th, 2006 at 12:52pm
I really don't know.
I think people with schizophrenia and other disorders should be treated the same as others, apart from they should get the help and support they need.
My mum is a Community Mental Health nurse, and last year I had to go and visit these people with her at this cafe place where she meets some of her patients sometimes, and one had schizophrenia and this other one had MPD. It was so sad because they were both obviously really nice people who just had bad look. One of them made me a cup of tea and the other one talked to me for ages about music and stuff. Then they both talked to my mum about all this stuff, and the one with MPD was fucking crying, it was awful. But they were both SO nice. I felt so sorry for them, I was nearly in tears by the time we got out of there.
maudlinromance
Bleeding on the Floor
maudlinromance
November 28th, 2006 at 07:05pm
I think that is one of the things that people are all "wtf, they are all crazy" sort of thing. They actually arn't. Some can't cope through it, and treatments are their only hope. I'm glad you told us that Alex above because that is what you saw, and what you saw were very nice people that were sick. And morbid_dream, what is your minor points on this? A waste of time is not what it is, it ins't like you can snap out of it like a bad dream. Hell, they wish they could snap out of it.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
November 29th, 2006 at 08:53am
morbid_dream:

not to flame, but....bullshit. dude, let me tell you a story.

my dad's in the army-the army band now, but the army no less- he's good friends with a lot of the people he works with there. one guy, his name's stan, he's known for just about the whole time he's been in the service--over twenty years.

last summer they had to go down to a base in alabama for two weeks. it was shitty down there, but they were all sticking it out. now, my dad always thought his friend steve was a bit eccentric, but he never thought much of it...once they get to alabama and he's around him all the time, though, he notices it a lot. and it's getting worse.

one day, stan just up and dissapears. so my dad and the other guys in charge, they look into it--call relatives, ask questions.

turns out stan was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia-none of his army friends knew-years and years ago, and he just stopped taking his meds.

i don't know the whole story because quite frankly, i didn't want my dad to tell me. i could tell it was really traumatic for him as well as his friend. but from what he told my mother and i...stan was running all over alabama, just out of his mind. he was finally found, i believe curled up on a bench in a park- but not until after he had already harmed himself considerably, including soaking his contacts in fucking mouthwash and then putting them in.

do you think that this is something a person would want to do if they were healthy?

that's not the end of it, though. due to a ton of army regulations and the lack of a real hospital on this base they were on, they couldn't get him treatment as a civillian- but also due to army regulations, they couldn't send him home. it was a pretty desparate situation.

this isn't someone being selfish and trying to waste their time with something they're imagining. perception is reality; these diseases are very real, epsecially to someone who has them. to act like they're a "waste of time" is just to be ignorant.
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
November 29th, 2006 at 10:59am
morbid_dream:

I don't understand what you mean, can you please explain this?
stannis baratheon.
Salute You in Your Grave
stannis baratheon.
November 30th, 2006 at 03:55pm
morbid_dream:

Excuse me, but MD's are an actual illness.
They are an ILLNESS, and mess people's lives up completely.
The people who have them can't help it, and 99.9% of them would give anything to get rid of them.
x-broken-x
Joining The Black Parade
x-broken-x
January 13th, 2007 at 11:59pm
My Cousin Has Bi-polar and like half the time you don even now who she is because she she is happy she is reallly happy but when she is depressed its like extreme but i find whens he gets her in to a situation where she knows she did somethinf wrong she uses being bi-polar as an excuse and gets out of it. Thats the only thing that bugs me about MD is alot of people use them as excuses. dont get me wrong i know how sever they can be because we have a lot of them run in my family and i have actually spent hours on end researching them. But it also pisses me off when people talk about them like they are nothing and are all in your head.
aliss practice.
Shotgun Sinner
aliss practice.
January 14th, 2007 at 10:15am
Yeah, Bipolar, I have it but I can be happy to. Like when I listen to MCR, I am at a all time high. The only thing is that people think that people with Bipolar or Unipolar etc etc, are all nutters who chose to do it. A lot people at my school say I am just an attention seeker who chose to be 'fucked-up'. But excuse me, I am not 'fucked up' as they say it, I am perfectly normal, just with a few minor differences. One of my goals in life is to help people with Bipolar, and help them get through it, just to show that they are not alone. If you have Bipolar all you need to do is trust in your friends and family to help you through, thats all it takes.
Jeffree Star
Motor Baby
Jeffree Star
January 14th, 2007 at 02:00pm
Can anyone give me a description on OCD
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
January 14th, 2007 at 07:05pm
Poisin Girl - Here you go love. Just click the link.
Basics about OCD

Lisa, if you are not going to link someone,
please don't bother posting something like that.
It is spam, pure and simple.