Don't have an account? Create one!

Feminists and women's rights in general

AuthorMessage
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
September 26th, 2008 at 09:42am
B y. T h e. S e a.:
This world can go on and on about "women's rights" but i think that in most countries girl's have the same rights as guys and guys have the same rights as girls, so i don't see why girl's are still complaining about this.
You may want to check with Communist China, the Middle East and certain tribes in Africa before definitively making that statement again.
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
September 26th, 2008 at 10:35am
Cigarettes And Suicide:
I guess I'm a bit of a male chauvinist. But I believe women, if they choose to have kids, should be at home, raising them, cleaning the house, cooking dinner. I don't think there's anything wrong with being a stereotypical housewife and mother, if that's what makes you happy. And that's what makes me happy. I love my husband, I appreciate that he works 6 days a week to pay the bills I run up. So I don't have a problem with making his life a little easier when he gets home at the end of the day.

I agree with this post. To me, feminism is equality, and equality means a woman should have the right to choose what she wants to do, and being a woman should not affect how she chooses. I find it sad when people are like "women don't belong in the kitchen" I'm saying they belong in the kitchen either. I'm just saying she should have the right to choose. It's just as steryotypical and sexist to say a woman belongs out of the kitchen because she is a woman than to say a woman belongs in the kitchen because she is a woman.

What I don't agree with is how you pushed insulting steryotypes about feminism in you post, or how you crucified women who want careers and kids. There is nothing wrong with being a homemaker, but there is nothing wrong with wanted to something outside of being with your family and cooking and cleaning 24/7. Like I said, a woman should have the right to choose.

But I also do agree with you about men. Its a lot like reverse racism. A white person can be descriminated against, just like a man can be descriminated against as well. But feminism isnt about making women more important than men, its just more prominent because of having a patriarchal society for thousands of years.

The fact is there shouldn't be steryotypes when it comes to the family unit. A woman can have her job and kids, or be a homemaker. Just like a man should be able to work, or be a stay-at-home dad. Gender should not affect this.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
September 26th, 2008 at 10:59am
Yes;Indeed;True:
But feminism isnt about making women more important than men, its just more prominent because of having a patriarchal society for thousands of years.
Exactly.

I think this is where a lot of people misunderstand feminism. A lot of people assume that feminists are trying to make themselves and women in general more 'important' and more 'powerful' than men, but that is not the case. The root of most feminist ideologies, in my opinion, lies with the belief that both sexes should be equal. It's not about making women better than men.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
September 26th, 2008 at 01:58pm
Cigarettes And Suicide:
I believe women, if they choose to have kids, should be at home, raising them, cleaning the house, cooking dinner.
Not everyone can afford that luxury.
Heybaberiba
Fabulous Killjoy
Heybaberiba
September 26th, 2008 at 03:12pm
This one's for the people in the EU:
http://www.femalesinfront.eu/default.asp?view=front&lang=gb
Basically, all the heavy hot shot positions will be filled within the EU next year, not a single woman have been suggested. (And seriously, this one is just as bad as if all the positions would be filled with candidates from one country. Difference is, if all the candidates would be... lets say, Polish, people would be in an uproar.) So, if the list gets one million signatures from EU citizens, the suggestion list can be redone according to the Lisbon treaty of equality.
Sign it.

Please Smile
XXX
Heybaberiba
Fabulous Killjoy
Heybaberiba
September 26th, 2008 at 03:35pm
Cigarettes And Suicide:
*prepares to be crucified*

Wow.
Well, I'm not going to say anything about your opinions, instead, I'm going to ask you some questions:

Have you ever heard of societies where men and women get equal amount of maternity and paternity leave from work?

Have you ever pondered that while you choose one thing for yourself, others consider your choices to be pure hell and a life not worth living?

Have you considered that some women aren't the typical cosy housewife but have babies cause it's not something they can leave to the man?

I consider myself to be a business and career-woman. I'm not interested in staying at home for years, feeding a man and cleaning. I want to make awesome campaigns, sign deals and bring home the bacon. Sure, we plan on having kids but since he will be an MD by then, he will have a job better suited for paternity leave. Would that make me a bad mother?

If you answer yes to that question, then you are not for equality.
Its as simple as that. You might have a balance in your life that you are comfortable with but if you try to impose your way of living onto others by trying to add guilt into the equation then maybe you should pack your butt back to the 50's. Smile, clean the house and make some food.

If you answer no to that question then it looks like you need to rephrase some of your original post.
Cheers love!
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
September 26th, 2008 at 10:09pm
In answer to posts following mine:

MINDFUCK: I'm not categorising ALL feminists when I make those statements. I'm categorising the ones who have stepped way over the line of wanting EQUALITY with men, and wanting men to just disappear off the face of the planet so women can rule it all. Don't deny that there are women out there like that. I don't have a problem with women wanting equal rights - hey, I deserve to have rights just the same as men, but I don't think I'm any better than a man, and I don't think I deserve anything more than what men get. I only use the term 'anti-feminist' in reference to myself because most women who identify themselves as feminists, think I'm a total moron and 'should pack my butt back off to the 50's' (which I wouldn't mind, to be honest), or that I'm a 'traitor to my gender' (which I don't think is true, I just have my beliefs and live my life according to them - I'm not out there hurling abuse at women who want careers and children, I just disapprove of them quietly and mind my own business). I know what feminism is, but the concept of 'equality' doesn't get any attention anymore - it's women demanding that they have EVERYTHING and that men get nothing, and that's what people call 'feminism'. I don't agree with that, but that's what most people think of today when they hear the term.

DEB: No offense, but my husband and I live in one of the most expensive places in Queensland as far as the cost of housing goes. And yet, even on my husband's single income (and bear in mind he's a high-school drop-out with no qualifications and no further study), we have just bought a house. The thing is, we MADE DO with a modest 3-bedroom, one-bathroom home, not a fricking 6-bedroom, four-bathroom palace in a prestigious suburb. That's the thing - everybody wants a posh house in a nice suburb, and then bitches when they can't afford it. My husband and I made the decision to have children, basing it on what we could afford. If we had to contine renting until the kids went to school and I could get a casual job, then so be it. But every single time I hear someone moaning about how they had to go straight back to work after having a baby, they're always pictured sitting out front of their almost-mansion with sad expressions as if to say, 'Look how hard-done by we are'. Pfft. Stop having such great expectations of yourselves and live in a more modest house until you can afford the flash one. Oh, and maybe if you stopped trading in your 2-year-old Lexus every time a new model comes out, and just drove Fords, you could afford to eat. (that's not directed at you personally, just people in general who live like kings, but can't seem to downsize long enough to give their kids the attention they need.)

YES;INDEED;TRUE: You don't like how I 'crucified' women who have jobs and kids? Hey, I don't care if you have a job. I intend on having a job when Emily starts school, too - a casual job that starts at 9am and finishes before 3, so I can be at home to look after her. Look at society today - kids are running wild, getting into trouble with the law, they have no respect for authority, and discipline is a dirty word. Why is that? Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that in the last decade or two, women have begun climbing the corporate ladder like never before, leaving their children with babysitters or in day-care facilities for up to ten hours a day, five days a week? Children NEED their parents, and since men generally earn more than their partners (because mothers are usually 'unreliable' in that they take time off work to tend sick children, etc), it usually falls to women to be there for their kids. Nowadays, though, whether for 'financial reasons' (ie wanting the BMW and 6-bedroom house instead of something cheaper and smaller), or because women want to prove that they're as good as any man at their job, the task of child-rearing falls to either grandparents, or someone outside the family unit. I think it's wrong, wrong, wrong, but I'm not out there bitching at people who choose to ruin their kids' lives, am I? I just do what I think is right for my family and leave other people alone. But that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it, just as everyone else is entitled to think I'm an idiot. That's fine, but when my kid grows up to be a well-adjusted, caring and respectful person, and theirs grow up to be armed robbers, well we'll see who's laughing.

HEYBABERIBA: In answer to your questions:
No. Which is dumb. Like I said, why aren't men entitled to the same amount of paternity leave as women? My husband shouldn't have had to make the choice to either go broke now, or go broke later. I had quit my job several months prior to having our daughter, but I wasn't entitled to maternity leave anyway as I hadn't been in that job long enough before falling pregnant. Women deserve better maternity leave legislation in Australia (we're worse off than places like Iran and some countries in Africa), but men deserve something as well.

Sure. I consider that, but I also consider doing WHAT IS BEST FOR MY KIDS, NOT JUST MYSELF. Hey, plenty of my friends have kids and they're out drinking every weekend, leaving the kids with babysitters. Just because I wouldn't mind letting my hair down on occasion, doesn't mean I do the same as what they're doing. Why? Because I think my kids deserve better than to have me absent on a Friday night, then hungover all day Saturday and unable to enjoy my time with them. If women really love their jobs that much, and hate the thought of looking after their husband, then why marry and have kids? Why not just get married and not have kids? Why marry at all? There are more important things in life than promotions. But again, I'm not telling anybody to do or not do anything. I'm just saying that this is my belief, and you're entitled to yours.

Yes. But again, I don't see why you would want them if you don't want to look after them. Again, is the father sitting at home looking after the kids? If he's not willing to look after them, and you're not willing to look after them, why not just get a puppy?

No, providing your husband is at home with the kids for more than just a couple of months. Babies need their parents. The first 18 months of a child's life are crucial as far as bonding and future development goes. Children who are raised in daycare centres may learn to speak earlier, but their development in other areas is stunted and their mental wellbeing is not being done any favours by not having mum and dad around (except for two hours before bed in the evenings, and half an hour in the mornings before they get dropped off at the centre again). If neither of you is around, then yes: again, if you can't be bothered, then don't be bothered. Get a puppy.

Hardly any of those question, however, refers to feminism, as such. It's about children. And I think women's rights need to take a back seat when it comes to the welfare of the next generation. As I said, I'm all for a woman being able to vote, have a career, have equal pay... but if the woman has kids, then either she or the father need to be at home, raising them.
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
September 26th, 2008 at 10:39pm
Cigarettes And Suicide:

YES;INDEED;TRUE: You don't like how I 'crucified' women who have jobs and kids? Hey, I don't care if you have a job. I intend on having a job when Emily starts school, too - a casual job that starts at 9am and finishes before 3, so I can be at home to look after her. Look at society today - kids are running wild, getting into trouble with the law, they have no respect for authority, and discipline is a dirty word. Why is that? Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that in the last decade or two, women have begun climbing the corporate ladder like never before, leaving their children with babysitters or in day-care facilities for up to ten hours a day, five days a week? Children NEED their parents, and since men generally earn more than their partners (because mothers are usually 'unreliable' in that they take time off work to tend sick children, etc), it usually falls to women to be there for their kids. Nowadays, though, whether for 'financial reasons' (ie wanting the BMW and 6-bedroom house instead of something cheaper and smaller), or because women want to prove that they're as good as any man at their job, the task of child-rearing falls to either grandparents, or someone outside the family unit. I think it's wrong, wrong, wrong, but I'm not out there bitching at people who choose to ruin their kids' lives, am I? I just do what I think is right for my family and leave other people alone. But that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it, just as everyone else is entitled to think I'm an idiot. That's fine, but when my kid grows up to be a well-adjusted, caring and respectful person, and theirs grow up to be armed robbers, well we'll see who's laughing.

Of course children need their parents, no one is disagreeing with you there. But you made it sound like in your original post that someone was a bad mother if they wanted something outside of their family aka a career. My own mother works quite a bit for us- she works more than my dad and makes more money than my dad. I was in daycare and taken care of by my grand-parents when I was younger. It wasn't a replacement for my parents, but it definitely was helpful. My brother and I turned out fine. I'm a straight A, volunteering,opinionated,politically correct high school student with who doesn't go to wild parties or anything. I care and respect people,animals,the environment, and I have plenty goals and ambitions for when I am older.

I do agree with that it does become a problem when daycare is a replacement for parents. Then it generally turns into a situation where to consolidate for the fact that the parents are never around, the kid is given anything he wants except for well deserved attention and therefore develops the label of the "rich kid brat". Then he more or less becomes like the children described in your post. But that has more to do with balance, a mother spending plenty of time with her kids and her job.

Actually, my own opinion is another reason children are acting like this is because it's mostly people with lower incomes who have more children and larger families and women who are climbing the corporate ladder are waiting later in life to have children after they get their careers off the ground(there was a study somewhere about this, I'll see if I can find it). Therefore there are less children coming from educated families and mothers and more on welfare.

First off, nobody said you were an idiot. Disagreeing with you doesn't make anyone think less of you.Don't get all defensive, we are just having a discussion.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
September 26th, 2008 at 10:42pm
Cigarettes And Suicide:
I know what feminism is, but the concept of 'equality' doesn't get any attention anymore - it's women demanding that they have EVERYTHING and that men get nothing, and that's what people call 'feminism'. I don't agree with that, but that's what most people think of today when they hear the term.
I've never actually heard of any woman, let alone feminist, demanding so much that women get everything and men get nothing. I genuinely want to know where you got that idea from? The media?

If there are people like that, then they are not really feminists. Not to me, anyway. They're just nuts. From what I've learned, it's contradicting and a tad hypocritical to feminist ideology(ies) to want women to have everything and then want men to have nothing. It is unfortunate that people think of feminists like that, but those people who have that idea about feminists and feminism need to not believe everything they read or hear.

A lot of the people I've come across that claim to hate feminists and feminism usually have little idea of what it actually is and how it works, which is why I got so uppity at some points in your original post. I dare say you're just going by what you've heard about in pop culture and the media regarding feminism - and if that's not the case, then have you actually talked with any feminists? Had a conversation with one? I'm curious.
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
September 26th, 2008 at 11:07pm
Mindfuck:

A lot of the people I've come across that claim to hate feminists and feminism usually have little idea of what it actually is and how it works, which is why I got so uppity at some points in your original post.

What gets me is that people think feminism is an all-consuming label. Like I'm a feminist, and therefore I have the attributes of being a self-righteous lesbian who shoves my beliefs down your throat and crucifies you for having a penis. It's the other way around. I would be a self-righteous person who is a lesbian and a feminist and shoves my beliefs down your throat and crucifies you for having a penis.(I'm of course not saying this is the case, I'm just using it as an example from another post). I am not solely a feminist, I am person with one of the attributes of being a feminist as well as being a vegan,environmentally conscious,politically opinionated, passionate about all forms of art and anything expressive, ect.ect. It's not something that defines a person, and I think if more people understood that than feminism would be a much more excepted concept. I doubt many of the people I speak to every day know that I am a feminist because I have never spoken to them about woman's rights in general.
Heybaberiba
Fabulous Killjoy
Heybaberiba
September 27th, 2008 at 04:47am
Cigarettes And Suicide:

HEYBABERIBA: In answer to your questions:
No. Which is dumb. Like I said, why aren't men entitled to the same amount of paternity leave as women? My husband shouldn't have had to make the choice to either go broke now, or go broke later. I had quit my job several months prior to having our daughter, but I wasn't entitled to maternity leave anyway as I hadn't been in that job long enough before falling pregnant. Women deserve better maternity leave legislation in Australia (we're worse off than places like Iran and some countries in Africa), but men deserve something as well.

Sure. I consider that, but I also consider doing WHAT IS BEST FOR MY KIDS, NOT JUST MYSELF. Hey, plenty of my friends have kids and they're out drinking every weekend, leaving the kids with babysitters. Just because I wouldn't mind letting my hair down on occasion, doesn't mean I do the same as what they're doing. Why? Because I think my kids deserve better than to have me absent on a Friday night, then hungover all day Saturday and unable to enjoy my time with them. If women really love their jobs that much, and hate the thought of looking after their husband, then why marry and have kids? Why not just get married and not have kids? Why marry at all? There are more important things in life than promotions. But again, I'm not telling anybody to do or not do anything. I'm just saying that this is my belief, and you're entitled to yours.

Yes. But again, I don't see why you would want them if you don't want to look after them. Again, is the father sitting at home looking after the kids? If he's not willing to look after them, and you're not willing to look after them, why not just get a puppy?

No, providing your husband is at home with the kids for more than just a couple of months. Babies need their parents. The first 18 months of a child's life are crucial as far as bonding and future development goes. Children who are raised in daycare centres may learn to speak earlier, but their development in other areas is stunted and their mental wellbeing is not being done any favours by not having mum and dad around (except for two hours before bed in the evenings, and half an hour in the mornings before they get dropped off at the centre again). If neither of you is around, then yes: again, if you can't be bothered, then don't be bothered. Get a puppy.

Hardly any of those question, however, refers to feminism, as such. It's about children. And I think women's rights need to take a back seat when it comes to the welfare of the next generation. As I said, I'm all for a woman being able to vote, have a career, have equal pay... but if the woman has kids, then either she or the father need to be at home, raising them.

Well, I live in a country where men and women get equal amount of paternity or maternity leave, that is true equality and feminism to me.
That is, you get 80% of your salary (some restrictions if your paycheck is extremely high or low) for 480 days (an extra 180 if you have twins) most of those days can be divided as one wish between the parents.
Now, you might argue that this is not related to equality and womens rights, but it is. If both men and women can be expected to use the paternity and maternity leave, then there is no reason what so ever to pay a woman less money for the same type of work.
You started your answer on this one with a "No, which is dumb..." is it dumb that you have not heard of these equal rights or dumb that you don't have them in your country?

On my second question, "Have you ever pondered that while you choose one thing for yourself, others consider your choices to be pure hell and a life not worth living?" you answered "If women really love their jobs that much, and hate the thought of looking after their husband, then why marry and have kids? Why not just get married and not have kids? Why marry at all?"
Well, I cant answer for any other women, but I married my husband because I love him, cause we want to spend the rest of our lives together and because we have dreams hopes and aspirations together. One specific reason that I married this man is that he is independent, smart and can take care of himself. He does not need a full time nanny to take care of him.

And on my last question, Would it make me a bad mother if I would let my husband take the majority of the time at home with the kids" You answered "Yes. But again, I don't see why you would want them if you don't want to look after them. Again, is the father sitting at home looking after the kids? If he's not willing to look after them, and you're not willing to look after them, why not just get a puppy? You told me that I will be a bad mother. I take that as a bit of an insult and up till now, I have had respect for you as a fellow forumgoer but that respect kinda goes away when you tell me I will be a bad mother cause my world is not as unequal as yours. You also ASSUME that a man will not want to stay at home and take care of the kids. You suggest that a puppy will be the right answer. Do you understand how degrading towards men you are?
You are practically saying that the only thing a man is good for is working and taking care of a dog. WTF!

You are assuming an awful lot, and most of that is that a man is not interested in taking his paternity leave. The only other explanation I see for your answer is pure ignorance, You saw my first question, assumed that all countries have as bad equality when it comes to children as your country and therefore everything else was dumb.
I suggest that you in that case, apply the "dumb" to a person, not an issue. But then again, this goes back to another issue you raised, you see no need for a career, thus no need for an education.

Can't you see that staying at home, taking care of the children is one cookie. Having a career is one cookie. In order to let men have half the childrens-cookie, you MUST take your part of the career-cookie. What you are saying right now is "I would settle for just half a cookie and leave the rest to a man" and that is not equality. Its not even a working equation. Most of all, its degrading to men thinking that all they want from a woman is an adult nanny babymachine. I don't know about your man, but my man loves me exactly for the ambitious educated smart woman I am. Not because I make nice pies. They are for sale in the store you know.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
September 27th, 2008 at 05:29am
Heybaberiba:
You started your answer on this one with a "No, which is dumb..." is it dumb that you have not heard of these equal rights or dumb that you don't have them in your country?

Uh, dumb that Australia is supposedly considered a first-world country, and that we are also called 'the lucky country' because we supposedly have it so good. But when it comes to parental leave, both mothers and fathers have been completely gypped. It's ridiculous. When it comes to BOTH men's and women's rights regarding maternity/paternity leave, I feel like Australia is living in the dark ages, and it disgusts me. But at least here, women have SOME access to maternity leave, but there is no such thing as paternity leave. Full stop.

Heybaberiba:
One specific reason that I married this man is that he is independent, smart and can take care of himself. He does not need a full time nanny to take care of him.

Certainly, I can understand that. Before we had a child, I worked as well as my husband, and naturally we shared the housework and other chores like that. But now, I'm at home with a baby all day while he works from 7am until 5pm, so I don't expect him to do housework. I'm not suggesting men need full-time nannies, as you put it - I'm just saying that, in cases where women insist on having a career because they're not 'here to clean up after/cook for a man', then that's a lame reason. You should want to work because you enjoy your career, not to have an excuse to avoid housework.

Heybaberiba:
And on my last question... You told me that I will be a bad mother. You also ASSUME that a man will not want to stay at home and take care of the kids. You suggest that a puppy will be the right answer. Do you understand how degrading towards men you are?
You are practically saying that the only thing a man is good for is working and taking care of a dog. WTF!
I didn't say that at all. I said that if you decide to have kids, and both you and your husband are working full-time instead of taking full advantage of the great parental leave allowances that you have in your country, then who is looking after the kids? If both of you are just going to have a child and put it in a daycare facility from an early age, then don't bother having them (again, that's just my opinion - you can do whatever the heck you like with your life and I won't be affected at all, so go ahead). I don't assume that your husband isn't interested in raising kids - you were the one who pointed out that he has better access to paternity leave than you will, so if he is willing to give up his career for a few years in order to raise a family, I applaud him. NOWHERE in my post did I even make the bare suggestion that men are not capable of raising kids, or as you put it, 'only good for working and taking care of a dog'. I said that if YOU don't want to be a stay-at-home parent, and HE doesn't want to be a stay-at-home parent, then maybe a pet would be a better option for you than a child who needs constant love, care and attention, especially in those first few years.

Heybaberiba:
You saw my first question, assumed that all countries have as bad equality when it comes to children as your country and therefore everything else was dumb.

No, I didn't. You asked whether I have heard of any places that have equal materinty and paternity leave, and I said I haven't heard of any, which is stupid, because Australia is supposedly such a wonderful country, and yet we're living in the Dark Ages when it comes to looking after families. Where did I say anything about anything else being dumb? Kindly point it out to me so I can correct myself if I did.
Heybaberiba:
...you see no need for a career, thus no need for an education.
What has me not wanting a career got to do with not wanting an education? I have an education, thankyouverymuch. I did a lot of things with my life before I had my daughter. I just don't have any ambition to run a company or hire and fire. Besides, there are plenty of other places to get an 'education', as such. There are more ways to learn than reading books and taking exams and being graded on how well you can memorise things.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here, but I think you're making a stab at calling me uneducated because I have a desire to be a wife and mother rather than climb the corporate ladder. Correct me if my assumption is wrong, please. But getting promotions and making money, as I said in previous posts, are not the be-all and end-all, and to suggest that somebody who has no desire to have a 'career' (as opposed to a 'job', which I intend on having once Emily goes to school) isn't interested in education, is pretty unfair. Like I said, if I've got that wrong, please enlighten me.

Heybaberiba:
Can't you see that staying at home, taking care of the children is one cookie. Having a career is one cookie. In order to let men have half the childrens-cookie, you MUST take your part of the career-cookie. What you are saying right now is "I would settle for just half a cookie and leave the rest to a man" and that is not equality. Its not even a working equation. Most of all, its degrading to men thinking that all they want from a woman is an adult nanny babymachine. I don't know about your man, but my man loves me exactly for the ambitious educated smart woman I am. Not because I make nice pies. They are for sale in the store you know.
But I don't like the taste of career cookies. That's just me. I'm not denying anybody else their career cookie, I'd just rather not. Like I said, there's a difference between a 'job' and a 'career', and I'm only interested in a 'job' where I just go to work, do my job, and make a bit of money. And like I said, I'm going to take my bite of the job cookie when my kids are in school and are essentially old enough to look after themselves for 6 hours a day. My husband loves me for who I am, and in fact we share the same opinions on child-rearing. We decided before I even fell pregnant that when the baby was born, whoever earned less would be a full-time stay-at-home parent and the other one would pay the bills. Up until then, I worked a full-time job too, but as I was on a waitressing wage and he is earning quite good money in his job, it was the obvious choice that I would be the one to stay at home. I don't think men want a 'nanny/babymaking machine' at all. I think it's offensive that you think that's all some women (like myself) are capable of. I just think that it's much more important to invest the time and attention on your kids during their formative years, than in your career. Jobs will always be there, you only get one chance to be a parent and not screw it up, is all I'm saying. My husband doesn't care if I cook, or even if I clean - he's capable of doing it himself, too. But I do it to help him because he works ridiculously long hours in a labouring job (it's not like he sits on his bum all day in an air-conditioned office). And he appreciates that fact, and loves me the more for it. Are you suggesting he's an inferior specimen because we share the same values and enjoy our lives just the way they are?
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
September 27th, 2008 at 08:26am
Cigarettes And Suicide:
DEB: No offense, but my husband and I live in one of the most expensive places in Queensland as far as the cost of housing goes. And yet, even on my husband's single income (and bear in mind he's a high-school drop-out with no qualifications and no further study), we have just bought a house. The thing is, we MADE DO with a modest 3-bedroom, one-bathroom home, not a fricking 6-bedroom, four-bathroom palace in a prestigious suburb. That's the thing - everybody wants a posh house in a nice suburb, and then bitches when they can't afford it. My husband and I made the decision to have children, basing it on what we could afford. If we had to contine renting until the kids went to school and I could get a casual job, then so be it. But every single time I hear someone moaning about how they had to go straight back to work after having a baby, they're always pictured sitting out front of their almost-mansion with sad expressions as if to say, 'Look how hard-done by we are'. Pfft. Stop having such great expectations of yourselves and live in a more modest house until you can afford the flash one. Oh, and maybe if you stopped trading in your 2-year-old Lexus every time a new model comes out, and just drove Fords, you could afford to eat. (that's not directed at you personally, just people in general who live like kings, but can't seem to downsize long enough to give their kids the attention they need.)

I know you said no offense, but your remark that you "Made do with purchasing a three-bedroom home" DOES offend me. I will never be able to afford to "make do" with such a purchase. I don't know what the levels of comfortable living are in your mind versus my own, but I can tell you that my best friend lives in Nunya Biss and would similarly scoff at your attitude. Just so you know, I would be more than happy to "make do" with a one-bedroom, one-bathroom home if I could - I am not "bitching because I want a posh home in the suburbs" as you are suggesting. I also cannot afford to "just drive a Ford" because gas and insurance rates here are too rich for my blood; I take mass transit. I'll also have you know that my son considers me to be an absolute role model and the sole person who shaped and cared for him in his life, despite my having committed the unforgiveable offense of working full-time while he is young. Yes, that was sarcasm, in case you weren't able to tell.
AVENGED-ROMANCE-USED
Fabulous Killjoy
AVENGED-ROMANCE-USED
September 27th, 2008 at 09:03am
Deb:
Cigarettes And Suicide:

I know you said no offense, but your remark that you "Made do with purchasing a three-bedroom home" DOES offend me. I will never be able to afford to "make do" with such a purchase. I don't know what the levels of comfortable living are in your mind versus my own, but I can tell you that my best friend lives in Nunya Biss and would similarly scoff at your attitude. Just so you know, I would be more than happy to "make do" with a one-bedroom, one-bathroom home if I could - I am not "bitching because I want a posh home in the suburbs" as you are suggesting. I also cannot afford to "just drive a Ford" because gas and insurance rates here are too rich for my blood; I take mass transit. I'll also have you know that my son considers me to be an absolute role model and the sole person who shaped and cared for him in his life, despite my having committed the unforgiveable offense of working full-time while he is young. Yes, that was sarcasm, in case you weren't able to tell.

YEAH!~ THANKS TO DEB GIRL! ... i in terms agree with some of or most your quote up the top on the up them selfs oh my look how hard we are doing it......"Cigarettes And Suicide'' ......but i humbly disagree with you big rant on someone wanting a dream I WANT that 6 bedroom and i want a shower or 4 in my house hell i WANT it ALL! the car the pool the kids to have everything they want to an reasonable extent, not to the point they are brats.. unlike yourself you can deal with living in that rented house untill your kids have grown and well congrats on getting your own.. but you know what grinds my gears... people like you that go on and on about HOW WE SHOULD MAKE DO!

i am a mother of a 14 and 5 year old i am 29 i suffer from a panic dissorder that prevents me from having a normal life to just go out there an work like your husband and good on him for doing so cause i myself having no education aswell... nor did i get to finish school.. i am also married but you know what my husband lives his life in a wheelchair unable to do again normal things in life himself while there alot of dissabled people that can get out there and get jobs he is unable to so he is my job.. i live in a 3 beedroom home with 2 bathrooms and have most of everything we need i don't need to be up living in the ONE OF THE RICHEST AREAS OF BRISSY i live in typical NSW rural town of 50.000 well known area itself but heads out of the clowd kind of people if you know what i mean... also i have friends up there as well that also have got barely enough to live on but honestly i really cant even grasp at your attitude you sound just as stuck up as the people your on about... and bitter at that im happy to be living like i am BUT DAMN HAPPY TO ALSO DREAM things a built out of dreams and to hell if i am going to have someone like you tread all over that..... and i think also your tone to deb is uncalled for you have no idea what kind of life she has ever had to lead alot worse than you husbands no eduacation i can assure you of that... i am sorry if i ruffle a few feathers by this but honestly i dont give a shit... just dont be talking to deb in that way when you have no idea who she even is... CATCH IM BACK IN MY DREAM WORLD..

BEAUTIFULL HOUSE IT IS TOO... MUCH LOVES DEB BABES BFF...
FaceTheStrain
Jazz Hands
FaceTheStrain
September 27th, 2008 at 09:16am
Okay, Cigarettes And Suicide, I don't know what planet you are currently residing on, but as of now there is a global economic crisis going on, most people can not continue to spend as they were and those who can might soon have to give up things they normally indulge in. Seriously, have you watched the news lately, get outta whatever bubble you're in and go take a look around the real world
AVENGED-ROMANCE-USED
Fabulous Killjoy
AVENGED-ROMANCE-USED
September 27th, 2008 at 09:20am
mercipourlevenin924:
Okay, Cigarettes And Suicide, I don't know what planet you are currently residing on, but as of now there is a global economic crisis going on, most people can not continue to spend as they were and those who can might soon have to give up things they normally indulge in. Seriously, have you watched the news lately, get outta whatever bubble you're in and go take a look around the real world

yeah sweet chick agreed very muchly...
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
September 27th, 2008 at 09:23am
AVENGED-ROMANCE-USED:

No need to get uppity with me, sweetie.

I'm just putting an opinion forward, you don't have to like it, or agree with it. I'm not snotty, I'm not bitter. I'm a girl who dragged herself up from nothing and is happy with where I am.

Well duh, everybody DREAMS of having the palace, so do I. But I know what living within a budget means, and I know that the palace will remain a DREAM unless we win Lotto or something.

I don't NEED to be living in Brisbane either, in fact I live hours away from there. However, the place I live in is an industrial town, and the median house price (we're talking 3-bed, 1-bath, no pool, and a patch of dirt about two square metres masquerading as a backyard) is around $450k. A ridiculous price, but that's what happens when you have a bunch of people working here earning big money, and therefore having money to blow. I didn't make the choice to live here, I was raised here by my parents (who moved here before the boom when houses were actually affordable), and I haven't been able to save enough money to get out of town. We also have no public transport apart from taxis, as the buses are run solely to get children to and from school each day, and despite the fact that petrol is brought into this town on ships and transported by truck to south-east Queensland and other areas, we're still paying 14 cents a litre MORE than areas in and around Brisbane. Work that one out for me, yeah? I'll give you a dollar.

'The hell if I'm going to have someone like you tread all over my dreams'? Are you serious? Who do you think you are to say something like that to me? I'm just putting an opinion out there, and if you're sitting on your end of the computer sobbing into your Red Bull because I said people who can't afford huge houses, but still buy them and then cry poor, are idiots, then, well... over-sensitive at all?

To that effect, exactly what kind of 'tone' was I using towards Deb, pray tell? As far as I knew, she made a comment, I answered it according to what I know of people from my own experience (bearing in mind that Deb shared no further details of her hardships), and now I have you jumping down my neck claiming I'm insulting her. I'm not whining about my husband's lack of education, I'm just saying that in a time where you practically need a university degree to sweep floors, we're doing okay.
You're not 'sorry to be ruffling a few feathers', I think it's what you're deliberately trying to do.

Anyway, this discussion is getting way off topic. We're meant to be discussing feminism, and somehow it's turned into a ten-part rant about what a bitch I am for living my life the way I want to - which I thought was the whole idea behind women's rights.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
September 27th, 2008 at 09:28am
mercipourlevenin924:

Just wondering if you've bothered to actually read any of my previous posts, or are just jumping down my neck along with everyone else.

Again, this isn't even ABOUT economic crises or what people can afford. It's supposed to be about feminism, not a bunch of people getting offended because I have an opinion that is different to theirs.
GTF over yourselves, please. Honestly. If I cared half as much about what you all think, as you obviously do about what I think... Seriously. I thought the point of a discussion was to put forward different perspectives and DISCUSS them, not start calling people names (or stopping just short of for fear of breaching the forum rules) and outright attacking another person for having an opinion.
The saddest thing is possibly the fact that the majority of you are older than 14, and therefore should know better about keeping your cool.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
September 27th, 2008 at 09:40am
First off, please don't disrespect my Girl - she didn't disrespect you, she defended me. Second of all, you are the one who turned this discussion economic.

My point to you was simply that not everyone can afford to just stay home, and you chose to launch into a diatribe about how great you have it and then go on to suggest that my son is a potential bank robber because I had to put food on the table. I'll have you know a few things, since you asked: a) I have always earned more money than my husband; b) my husband's work was seasonal in the beginning; c) my husband did stay home with Damien when he could, and; d) had we owned a house and a vehicle at the time Kenny got sick, we'd have lost them then. Sometimes life throws you some curveballs, you know?

Just so you know, my country does offer paternity leave - but only for a week. Maternity leave is 6-8 weeks. Not five years. Just because a child is in day care during the day doesn't mean that said child gets no attention from their parents. My son distinctly remembers us walking him to school and me sitting with him for hours at night - feeding him, bathing him, reading him book after book and singing him to sleep. He also remembers me devoting my entire weekend to him.

My father worked three jobs at one point in time and yet it is he I remember most as a little girl - devoting his few remaining free hours toward indulging me, NOT my full-time, stay-at-home mother, who always seemed too tired and disinterested. The fact that such moments are special ARE what stick out in the child's mind, ultimately, not the day-to-day stuff that they don't even notice you doing.

You are getting offended, yet it is you who did all of the judging. You just went ahead and assumed that every working mother is attempting to climb some corporate ladder - have you ever even SEEN a poor person? Your perspective seems skewed to me, especially since you are quick to point out that you live in one of the most expensive parts of town. Surely this is your choice as well, no? You could most certainly commute.
FaceTheStrain
Jazz Hands
FaceTheStrain
September 27th, 2008 at 09:52am
agreed fully deb, and one other thing cigarettes and suicide, why must you feel the need to point out that you live in the richest part of town, is it because you are unsatisfied with your life and you need to give yourself an ego boost? It's seriously way immature