Don't have an account? Create one!

Feminists and women's rights in general

AuthorMessage
seven dollar bill
Killjoy
seven dollar bill
November 15th, 2006 at 07:14pm
dream brother:
affirmative action means i get passed over for jobs merely because i have a penis which is the exact type of discrimination its supposed to be fixing

Affirmative action is supposed to level the playing field for women in a male-dominanted society. It's not the same, because it only extends up to a certain point economically. It doesn't address the political dominance of men, the social dominance of men, or the wage gap. In addition, men don't have to work against a matriarchy, whereas the inverse is true for women.

It isn't perfect by any means, but it's a start.
Antichrist Superstar
Bleeding on the Floor
Antichrist Superstar
November 30th, 2006 at 07:59pm
I am a feminist
one in evrey six women are raped
35% of women who go to the emergcy room are there for domestic violence related injuries
Why are we considerd less than men?
The way we work is AMAZING
We can have children
We can have AIDS and not pass it on to our child even though we share the SAME blood.
We can tell when we are ovulating
Our bodies are SO SMART that when another woman is around us for a while, we get our menstral cycle at the same time.
That's how amazing we are.
We raise the children.
Without us rasing the men, they would not be what they are today.
So why are we looked down upon? we should be PRAISED

I just don't get it.
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
December 1st, 2006 at 11:17am
Antichrist Superstar:
I am a feminist
one in evrey six women are raped
35% of women who go to the emergcy room are there for domestic violence related injuries
Why are we considerd less than men?
The way we work is AMAZING
We can have children
We can have AIDS and not pass it on to our child even though we share the SAME blood.
We can tell when we are ovulating
Our bodies are SO SMART that when another woman is around us for a while, we get our menstral cycle at the same time.
That's how amazing we are.
We raise the children.
Without us rasing the men, they would not be what they are today.
So why are we looked down upon? we should be PRAISED

I just don't get it.

Men and wonen should be treated equally! Without each other our species could not survive, and yes while these points you make are extreemly valid, what about the opposing arguement?

-Most research suggests that 10 to 20 percent of all males will be sexually violated at some point in their lives and that one in every ten rape victims is male.

-Research bears out that women are indeed injured more frequently and more severely at the hands of their husbands, than are husbands by their wives. What we need to understand, however, is that violence in the home is not always measured in bruises and broken bones. It is identified by the improper use of power to control and dominate others. While more men than women use violence and aggression to control spouses, rresearch suggests that a significant number of women are the aggressors, and that their aggression, like that of their male counterparts, is designed to control and terrorize their spouses.

Imagine the stigmas attached to these two aspects alone? It is wrong to put men down in such a way, just as it is wrong to put women down!
Scarlet_Way
Fabulous Killjoy
Scarlet_Way
December 1st, 2006 at 11:24am
they can go to far, but then again if they don't say it who will. the only thing i will say is that if someone says girl power to me one more time i'm gonna shove a pencil up there ass! *cough* cause that's just dumb. If your gonna be a feminist then do it with class!
Antichrist Superstar
Bleeding on the Floor
Antichrist Superstar
December 1st, 2006 at 02:04pm
yes well i was not trying to put down men in anyway
i was just pointing out how great we are
thire great as well

and i'd like to know where you got the stats of the men being sexually assulated

just out of cuirousity...not doubing you or anything
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
December 1st, 2006 at 03:50pm
Antichrist Superstar:
yes well i was not trying to put down men in anyway
i was just pointing out how great we are
thire great as well

and i'd like to know where you got the stats of the men being sexually assulated

just out of cuirousity...not doubing you or anything

Oh thats okay, it drives me mad when people chat all this crap, but I dont post anything without checking its validity first.

I got my stats from an electronically based site called science direct, it contains only up to date peer reviewed "scientifically based" articles and journals written by professionals such as doctors, or university lectures as well as professional bodies such as medical counclis and governments.
ElizasMAMA
Fabulous Killjoy
ElizasMAMA
December 1st, 2006 at 04:30pm
all i can say is women have thier rights, were just as equal as to men. and thats that
Chemically Dependent
Bleeding on the Floor
Chemically Dependent
December 3rd, 2006 at 01:40pm
women are equal to men but i think they arent always treated that way.
Scarlet_Way
Fabulous Killjoy
Scarlet_Way
December 3rd, 2006 at 02:27pm
I think women like paris hilton aren't helping!
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
December 3rd, 2006 at 04:46pm
Scarlet_Way:
I think women like paris hilton aren't helping!

And what is Paris Hilton like?
Why do you feel that way?
Scarlet_Way
Fabulous Killjoy
Scarlet_Way
December 3rd, 2006 at 04:48pm
The kind of show your breasts off, go out with a 90 year old for the money, I mean people like that, paris hilton just came to mind. it paints a shallow look on women

xx
Ms. Vampire
Fabulous Killjoy
Ms. Vampire
December 4th, 2006 at 07:39am
Women can vote, dress how they want, get whatever job they want, go to whatever school they want, ect. What's the point of being a feminist nowanddays?

Rape isn't about males dominating females. Rape is about overpowering and hurting the victim and there are MANY males that are raped that never report it because they are far too embarassed to do so.

And domestic violence can be avoided if stupid women would learn that if a man hits you once, he WILL do it again. It may be years from now but it'll happen. If he has the mentality to strike a woman, you need to get away from him. My mom raised me so that if ANYONE ever hit me, I hit them right the f*ck back!
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
December 4th, 2006 at 09:51am
Malus:
Women can vote, dress how they want, get whatever job they want, go to whatever school they want, ect. What's the point of being a feminist nowanddays?

I mean you do have a good point here, but we must always consider the opposing arguement, because its not always as easy as that.

You say women can vote, yes maybe that is true for you and me but there are some places in the world where women still do not have the right to vote.

You say that women can dress how they want, well maybe for a lot of us, as long as our cultures or religions do not look down upon this then it is true, we can dress how we want. But how true is this in the context of our societys and cultural views? If I wanted to dress in a tiny little skirt and top ebcause I liked how it looked or felt, or maybe it was a really hot day then yes it is true that I could, but at what cost? At the cost of people forming opinions about me because of what I choose to wear, at the cost of being viewed as a lesser person, as someone who has no self respect? etc

So while there may be no strict rules governing what we can and can not wear, I feel that society implicitly inforces them in this way.

Now on to the point about getting what ever job you want. Yes by law this is true, but we can not stop the discirmination that does still go on, in many cases if a man and a woman who had the same qualifications and experience were to apply for the same job in a lot of cases the employeer may choose the man over the woman completly based on gender. And for many reasons too, maybe the main one being that if the woman became pregnant then they would have to find maternity cover etc.

Now all of this is just my view on the matter, because I think that its always realy important to consider both sides of the arguement. I am not a femenist and I do not really believe in a lot of the things that they say, but at the same time I can completly see where they are coming from.
Ms. Vampire
Fabulous Killjoy
Ms. Vampire
December 4th, 2006 at 02:41pm
You say women can vote, yes maybe that is true for you and me but there are some places in the world where women still do not have the right to vote.
What good are American feminists doing them? How is sitting around preaching about the evils of man helping them. And there are lots of places in the world where neither men nor women can vote.

You say that women can dress how they want, well maybe for a lot of us, as long as our cultures or religions do not look down upon this then it is true, we can dress how we want. But how true is this in the context of our societys and cultural views? If I wanted to dress in a tiny little skirt and top ebcause I liked how it looked or felt, or maybe it was a really hot day then yes it is true that I could, but at what cost? At the cost of people forming opinions about me because of what I choose to wear, at the cost of being viewed as a lesser person, as someone who has no self respect? etc. So while there may be no strict rules governing what we can and can not wear, I feel that society implicitly inforces them in this way.
That depends on the individual person' s view. If they care about what society and other people think, then that's them. We have every right to dress how we what. A woman can walk down the street in the middle of winter in a bikini if she feels like.

Now on to the point about getting what ever job you want. Yes by law this is true, but we can not stop the discirmination that does still go on, in many cases if a man and a woman who had the same qualifications and experience were to apply for the same job in a lot of cases the employeer may choose the man over the woman completly based on gender. And for many reasons too, maybe the main one being that if the woman became pregnant then they would have to find maternity cover etc.
Like you said, we can not stop discrimination. Because it, again, is based on individual's views. There will always be a small precentage of people that hate someone else because fo their sex, age, sexual orientation, race, ect. The whole equal rights movement for females was about getting to chage the government's and society's minds and they achieved that goal in the free world. Their next step would be to go to countries run by dictators or royalty and try to change their minds. I doubt any of this will happen because if we could get rid of all the ignorance in everyone's minds, Earth would be a euphoria.
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
December 4th, 2006 at 03:01pm
"That depends on the individual person' s view. If they care about what society and other people think, then that's them. We have every right to dress how we what. A woman can walk down the street in the middle of winter in a bikini if she feels like."

Yes I do see what you are trying to say, but sometimes its not always what people in our society will think and say about the things that woment choose to wear its what they actually do.

People can be attacked both violently and sexually because of the clothes they wear. This is a terible thing, and quite steriotypical in theory, but recent research conducted in the uk showed that a great proportion of young males thought that if a woman was to dress in such a way, that she was "asking to be raped" it also showed that people did not feel as much sympathy for women in these situations (im sorry i dont have the actual article anymore, but It was a piece i studied while at university so it was credible).

So this is the sort of thing I was getting at when I was talking about a womans freedom to wear what ever she wants within society. So yes I agree that a woman can walk down the street in the middle of winter in a bikini if she feels like, but sometimes at what cost?

Also there were a lot of incidents in my hometown a couple of years ago where pretty young girls were being beaten up by gangs (of both men and women) while on nights out. All of the girls who were attacked had been wearing what I guess you would call "club wear" which personally i do not have a problem with, im just trying to get the point accross that society as a whole can restrics what we as women wear, because not only do we have to deal with what they are thinking and saying but also what they might do to us.
AliroSilver
Really Not Okay
AliroSilver
December 4th, 2006 at 03:27pm
Okay, I can't read all of this because I'm getting a headache. But I'll give you an example of why feminism doesn't work for me.

I was up for a promotion at work and didn't get it, not because I'm a woman but because I'm too young and really didn't want it. That I could deal with. What I couldn't deal with was my co-worker getting on the new boss about how I should have gotten the job instead and the reason I didn't is because of my gender. I took her aside and explained to her that they wanted someone older who they felt could deal with the stress of managing a store (which at the moment I knew I couldn't deal with) but she wouldn't listen and kept giving the poor man a hard time. Admittedly, he's not the best boss, he's completely incompetant, hence why the other girl gives him such a hard time. All I can say is... I'm glad it's not me. But she actually called me a traitor to the gender. I didn't even know what that meant! She explained that a real woman would want to take over. I do not take over small businesses thank you, if I'm going to do world conquest it's going to start at a corporation.

I just think that it goes too far sometimes. I don't want to settle down and raise a family because I don't like kids and I don't want to date or marry anyone. Supposedly that makes me a feminist but I just figured that made me smart. Not gonna bring someone into this world I know I can't take care of you know? But at the same time I shouldn't be pressured to take over whatever company I happen to work at because I'm a woman. For the love of hell I'm HAPPY as a clerk, I don't want to be the boss. That doesn't make me a sell out, a traitor or anti-woman, it just means I know what I want and I don't give a shit about what others think and that's supposed to be the core of feminism. Besides how bad would it be if I did take over the company and my music career finally took off? That company would be screwed.

I think alot of "hard core" feminists are self defeating hypocrites. I'll support the cause if they won't give me a hard time about how I live and what I do. I've got enough people trying to run my life, I don't need them doing the same when they're supposed to support other women not bitch at them for the way they live, work or play. I'll reach for the stars when I feel like it, for now I'm content laying in the gutter.
lexie
Bleeding on the Floor
lexie
December 7th, 2006 at 01:13pm
I see what you are saying Aliro - I dont class myself as a Feminist - I do believe in the right to Vote - free speech and the belief that women have a brain and can use it - but I dont think women dressed in Y fronts and giving lads a hard time is useful or right - in an Equal world we should be emotionally equal and hard line Feminists simply are not! They have taken a real issue and turned it into a standing joke and that is a great shame - women have done and acheived some great landmarks but so have men and I for one see a real need to put the balance right in the centre and not so severley one way or another. (On a lighter note - taking out the bins is surely a mans job lol)
xXDr. KrazyXx
Fabulous Killjoy
xXDr. KrazyXx
December 8th, 2006 at 12:22am
I think we should all face the truth. Females are equal to men, but it hasen't always been seen that way. There's always going to be that one person that thinks females are of a lesser species. I'm not saying it's right, but it's how things are. Because males are normally stronger than females physically, they are known to be greater. And females are known to have a higher mental strength. I think it's a struggle we're in, but you don't have to go all crazy about it. Screaming at people, telling them what they've been taught is wrong, is not going to change their minds.
Scarlet_Way
Fabulous Killjoy
Scarlet_Way
December 8th, 2006 at 05:26am
My_only_fan_is_me:
I think we should all face the truth. Females are equal to men, but it hasen't always been seen that way. There's always going to be that one person that thinks females are of a lesser species. I'm not saying it's right, but it's how things are. Because males are normally stronger than females physically, they are known to be greater. And females are known to have a higher mental strength. I think it's a struggle we're in, but you don't have to go all crazy about it. Screaming at people, telling them what they've been taught is wrong, is not going to change their minds.

I totally agree, no matter how much you scream for rights, your not gonna change some peoples minds, it just doesn't work like that!
Austing
Banned
Austing
December 23rd, 2006 at 01:01am
Feminists bother me Neutral
I don't believe in "womens rights"
I believe in equality
Although I do believe there are certain jobs women are better at and there are certain jobs that men are at. Does that mean the other shouldn't be allowed to do them? No, it just means that theres a good chance one sex may be /naturally/ better at it.
I don't think it's right when women get turned down because theyre a woman, but I think that women use that as a tool all too often, when, in reality, they just were not the best fit to complete that profession