Don't have an account? Create one!

I Never Told You What I Do For A Living

AuthorMessage
ms.way55
Killjoy
ms.way55
April 17th, 2008 at 12:55pm
i think its about a killer because he says
:i cant keep the blood off the sheets in my bed!
ghosted.
Jazz Hands
ghosted.
April 18th, 2008 at 10:25am
Bacically I think this song is about him killing people and stealing there identity.

"Can I meet you, alone
Another night and I'll see you
Another night and I'll be you
Some other way to continue
To hide my face
"

Simple.

chainsaws cascading.
In The Murder Scene
chainsaws cascading.
April 20th, 2008 at 11:47pm
I think that it has to do with the concept of the album since it's a concept album. He's killing the 1000 souls of evil men for the devil so he can get his wife/girlfriend back. when he says 'I tried" I think it means that he tried to kill them but didn't finish. Maybe he was killed while trying because he said "they gave us two shots to the back of the head and we're all dead now." so maybe thats why. That just what I think.
keep on living.
Shotgun Sinner
keep on living.
April 21st, 2008 at 04:27pm
Wow. I love this song In Love But that goes without saying. I mean, just look at my av Wink

So. Moving on the the meaning behind this song.

I think it's pretty obvious that this song is about a murderer speaking out about his crimes. What with the concept of Three Cheers, it only makes sense. This is the man, mourning his lover, and doing what he has to do to get back to her; bringing the devil the souls of "a thousand evil men". philosopher of mcr replied to this thread saying that he believed the man does get reunited with his lover, and I agree.

I think this song, as a whole, is about the man finally getting reunited with his lover, only to kill her as well in the end, and then, realizing what he's done, killing himself. Lets take a look at some lyrics ...

Stay out of the light
Or the photograph that I gave you
You can say a prayer if you need to
Or just get in line and I'll grieve you ...

I think with this line, the man is with his lover, reunited at last. I think he's worried that, since he's become so accustomed to the life of killing he's been living to get back to her, that in the end he'll end up killing her as well; " ... just get in line and i'll grieve you ...

Can I meet you, alone
Another night and I'll see you
Another night and I'll be you
Some other way to continue
To hide my face

He wants to be with her, but, again, I think he's afraid he'll end up killing her as well. This life is the only life he's got now, and he doesn't know how to stop this urge to kill.

Another knife in my hands
A stain that never comes off the sheets
Clean me off
I'm so dirty babe
The kind of dirty where the water never cleans off the clothes
I keep a book of the names and those

Only go so far 'til you bury them
So deep and down we go

Obviously, talking about the lives he's taken and how he'll live with the memory of what he's done forever (" the kind of dirty where the water never cleans off the clothes ").

It ain't the money and it sure as hell ain't just for the fame
It's for the bodies I claim and lose

When the chorus repeats and he says these lines, the man is explaining that the only reason he killed all those people is to get back to her. He claimed the bodies as his own, then lost their souls to the devil.

...And down we go
And we all fall down

I tried
I tried ...

And we'll all dance alone to the tune of your death
We'll love again, we'll laugh again
And it's better off this way

I think, with those two words - "i tried" - the man finally loses it and kills the woman he's been missing all this time. He tried to resist this urge to kill, but finally couldn't take it anymore. Now he's alone, "dancing" to "the tune of her death". In this psychotic state, the man believe it's better off that his lover is dead after all.

And never again, and never again
They gave us two shots to the back of the head
And we're all dead now

Well I tried
One more night
One more night
Well I'm laughin' out, cryin' out, laughin' out loud
I tried, well I tried, well I tried,
'Cause I tried, but I lied
I lied

I tried ...

He'll never see his lover again, and how he's slowly realizing the horror of what he's done. He tried to resist killing her, and when he told her he wouldn't, he lied. Now he's going into a whole other state of mental instabilities, going crazy over taking the life of his lover (" I'm laughin' out, cryin' out, laughin' out loud ... ").

And we'll love again, we'll laugh again
We'll cry again and we'll dance again
So much better off this way
I can't clean the blood off the sheets in my bed

And never again, and never again
They gave us two shots to the back of the head
And we're all dead now

The man feels the only way to make up for what he's done is to kill himself as well. He knows he can't take back what he's done (" I can't clean the blood off the sheets in my bed ") and that if he dies as well, they can be together again ( "We'll love again, we'll laugh again, we'll cry again, and we'll dance again ". Finally, he shoots himself because he can't stand the though of living without her ( " And we're all dead now. ").

So that's my opinion of what this song means.
Beautiful, beautiful song. I thought it was the perfect track to wrap up Three Cheers.
Bravo, boys! Clap
chainsaws cascading.
In The Murder Scene
chainsaws cascading.
April 22nd, 2008 at 07:04pm
to demolition.loverxx: I think you explained it perfectly. I agree with everything you said.
keep on living.
Shotgun Sinner
keep on living.
April 23rd, 2008 at 01:10am
mychemicalobsessionx:
to demolition.loverxx: I think you explained it perfectly. I agree with everything you said.

Thank you Smile
Belong2Ray
Killjoy
Belong2Ray
April 27th, 2008 at 06:25pm
i almost agree with everyone here lol. and I LOVE THAT SONG!!
FallingForward
Killjoy
FallingForward
April 29th, 2008 at 05:21pm
the lyrics make me thin that hes just split up with someone but the way he sings it, almost painful, thats makes me think he just stabbed them repeatedly
vampire kitteh :3
Thinking Happy Thoughts
vampire kitteh :3
May 2nd, 2008 at 01:13pm
the first thing i thought wen i heard this song wuz "assassin" like his job iz 2 kill ppl... and he cant let his lover kno... or hes just a murderer and hes running from authority and haz 2 c his lover in secret. idk thats just wut i think.
jackassjeremy
Killjoy
jackassjeremy
June 9th, 2008 at 02:21am
i think its about how the killer cant stand his victim so he kills him/her. but then he gets killed "they gave us to shots to the back of the head, and were all dead now"
Lustful Blood
Killjoy
Lustful Blood
June 13th, 2008 at 03:19pm
I do not know about everyone else, But this is my personal opinion.
I believe he is a murderer because he cannot stand his victim, But when he actually kills her, He feels regret and guilt. Judging by the lines of :
And we'll love again, we'll laugh again
We'll cry again and we'll dance again
So much better off this way. But eventually I think he remember's how much he couldn't stand her and forgets his redempt.
Just my opinion Smile
demolitionloversmway
Thinking Happy Thoughts
demolitionloversmway
June 27th, 2008 at 11:40am
yea its about some crazy murder
if i remember correctly i think i heard some where gerard based it on like a newspaper article or something....not sure though
but yea
YourWelcomeForTheVen
Killjoy
YourWelcomeForTheVen
July 1st, 2008 at 03:22am
Isn't about the Demolition Lovers? The man who was killed has to talke the lives of 1000 evil men so he can be reunited with his lover?
Evil Flying Panda :P
Killjoy
Evil Flying Panda :P
July 3rd, 2008 at 07:01am
im tired and dont want to think but my friend seems convinced it is about a time when Gerard's laundry detergent wasn't working....

"anther knife in the hand
A STAIN THAT NEVER COMES OFF THE SHEETS
clean me off im so dirty babe"

i personally think the clean me off im so dirty babe part sounds a little pervey....but i will think a bit on the actual meaning....
x.x Affliction x.x
Killjoy
x.x Affliction x.x
July 6th, 2008 at 02:56am
okay. so personally i think the whole song is about a mass murderer the 1000 evil souls etc.

but lots of replys were missing one key part of the song.

"i tried"

ii think he tried to kill all the people and the 1000 evil souls but couldnt....

so he killed himself to join his love in hell not on earth.

so he still got to be with his love. just not exactly where he planned.

"they gave us two shots to the back of the head and were all dead now"

thats the end.

i think it is a rather romantis and sad but twisted ending to the demolition lovers story.
roosje212
Killjoy
roosje212
July 9th, 2008 at 12:39pm
(srry for my english)i think that this song is (according to the story of the album where everyone is talkin about of killing those 1000 man) about killing the last of those 1000. "Another night and ill see you." it seems that this is the last one and the next day he will see her again. he is very excited, if u listne to the first part of the song, it sounds like he is excited. in the next part, after the first verse something goes wrong("i fall out of grace" ) ...he sounds mad.. he promised her to be with her again, and to succeed in his task, but he fails("i tried, but i lied" )he get killed probably, but he finds out that it's maybe better to be dead with his girlfriend (ion heaven or hell) then alive without her, because he failed to kill the men.
my personal opnion is different but it's difficult to explain Neutral
YOUshouldn'tHave...
Killjoy
YOUshouldn'tHave...
July 21st, 2008 at 04:25pm
I think it's about a guy whois a murderer. And he really really loves this girl. And he would kill a thousand evil men to get to her.
nimrod3094
Killjoy
nimrod3094
July 23rd, 2008 at 09:39pm
Ashleeeeeee.:
I think it's all about Gerard's main concept for the album.

A couple are killed on their wedding, the woman goes to Heaven, the male goes to Hell. The devil tells the male that if he brings the Devil the souls of one thousand evil men, the male can be reunited with his love. And so he does it. But, he does not know he's been tricked by the Devil, and seeing as his love is in Heaven, he will just end up going to Hell again, not reuniting them.

And in this song, I think it is talking about him assasinating all of those men and taking over their lives .

(Another night And I'll See You,
Another Night And I'll Be You,
Some Other Way To Continue,
To hide my Face.)

I'm too lazy to explain the rest...
=]

No this is the way I see the album's concept. The woman is killed on their wedding day, goes to Hell, and then the story starts. There is a funeral (Helena) and then the man feels that he has been cheated (Give 'Em Hell, Kid). Then the man vows to be reunited with his love (To The End). The authorities blame the man for the death of his wife, and he is sent to prison(You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison). The man hates prison and makes an escape (I'm Not Okay). He returns home and he reminisces about her (The Ghost Of You). Now, the man makes a deal with the devil to get his love back if he goes back to Earth and kills a thousand evil men (The Jetset Life Is Gonna Kill You). There is a minute-long track to show some passing time (Interlude). The story comes back in as he is well on his way to a thousand people (Thank You For The Venom/Hang 'Em High). The next song is the devil telling the man that he has been tricked, and that even though he has killed a thousand men, he is going to Hell for murdering people, and in Hell is where him and his love will be reunited (It's Not A Fashion Statement, It's A Deathwish). The next song is him rescuing his love and escaping back to Earth (Cemetery Drive). Then, the last song on the album is probably the woman asking the man how he got down into Hell in the first place, and him refusing to answer, hence the name of the song (I Never Told You What I Do For A Living). Kind of long, but that's my take on the album.
ilovegeeway
Killjoy
ilovegeeway
July 24th, 2008 at 08:34pm
I think its about this couple that that the wife dies and the husband is depressed an kills hisself and he goes to hell and he makes a deel with the devil that if he brings him 1,000,000 souls he will reunite him with his wife on earth so he keeps killing and killing
ilovegeeway
Killjoy
ilovegeeway
July 24th, 2008 at 08:35pm
im going with the one with the it was my cookie pic and thet was what i was trying to say