arthur pendragon.
Crash Queen
arthur pendragon.
July 28th, 2007 at 02:28pm
What?
You got a Gibson?
Oh my...
Well you're one lucky person.
Seriously, I've been playing for seven years. And I've still got the same guitar.
A shitty fender that needs to be used for fire wood.

Haahaa, which brings me to why I visited this wonderful thread with all you amazing people.
I'm (finally) getting a new guitar. And...Well, I don't have any idea what to get.
I know some of it is what a person prefers, but to be honest I'd rather ask you guys, than the assistants in the music shop near me.
So...I'm open to any sugestions...It's for my birthday which is in...8 weeks, so yeah, anything...really.
I hate my guitar.

Ty
x

edit:// (I don't know if this is just for people living in England or not...)
But does anyone know about the Rock School grades. You know like, You take your theory and you play, and you climb the grades.
I was told you can enter at any level, becasue I mean...I don't want to start at the begining learning a piece of music that I was first taught on. But if I must I shall. It just..sucks...
We Are The Ocean
Salute You in Your Grave
We Are The Ocean
August 6th, 2007 at 08:49pm
do you mean do you have to start at grade 1? because im not, im going straight into grade 5
jay!
Bleeding on the Floor
jay!
August 7th, 2007 at 09:01am
I've been playing for a year. No special things.
I've got a guitar teacher I go to every week who rules and helped me learn how to play This Is How I Disappear. ;D
LifeOnStandby
Motor Baby
LifeOnStandby
August 9th, 2007 at 02:15am
I would love to know this by the end of tomm, if not ah well.

I've been playing the guitar for about a month now, and my teacher has layed the repsonsibility upon to me to start tuning my guitar on my own. He's gone through it with me once last week, but I just can't seem to get it.

I was playing today and I could notice that everything was in tune but the D string. The way he taught me to tune the guitar, was to play the string til it sounded smooth. (I have a very easy job on gbe) One EAD I have a hard time, especially on D. So today I tried tuning it, but it only seems worse <sigh>

So I was wondering if anyone could help me through this. Usually with the other strings I understand well enough when it sounds smooth. On the D I can't seem to get it near, it seems to be all over the place. (my guitar is fine, I'm just shit at this)

What I don't understand exactly is what to listen for when I'm turning the knobs. I'm kind've just taking shots in the dark here.
(I've tried doing the "note scheme" or whatever, where you play D on one string and get it the same on open D, but it doesn't help me much)

Reply back or aim me at iamsure247
Thanks,
Stephen
threads
Shotgun Sinner
threads
August 9th, 2007 at 05:45am
|-------------5-|
|----------5--3-|
|-------4--2----|
|----4--2-------|
|-4--2----------|
|-2-------------|

These are power chords played on all the strings. You tune it so that they sound right, one string after the other.
That's how I tune my guitar. You need some hearing practice, to hear when the chord is right though.

Then there is this:

|-------------0-|
|----------0--5-|
|-------0--4----|
|----0--5-------|
|-0--5----------|
|-5-------------|

These notes (those above each other) should be the same tone (sound identical). This works if one of your strings are tuned correctly.

I problem with my G string when I tune, bu that's just my guitar, I believe.
ema.
Bleeding on the Floor
ema.
August 9th, 2007 at 12:25pm
I've been playing for what, a year now and I think I'm quite good, not an expert though..
I play an acoustic guitar.
When I started I played Rage Against The Machine songs. I can recomend it, it's really fun to play and not that hard. That is if you like RATM. XD
theholly
Fabulous Killjoy
theholly
August 11th, 2007 at 05:03pm
Ive been playing guitar since I was four, so ten years now. I have a couple of acoustics and an electric which is a hohner les paul copy. It is actually a really good guitar you can get some amazing sounds out of it and the action is pretty brilliant, but soon I hope to be getting a proper gibson. Just have a little bit of begging to do..
genresR4losers
Motor Baby
genresR4losers
August 11th, 2007 at 10:38pm
i've been playing for about four years. i'm self taught. i've been spending most of my forum time in the Fender forum. anybody else over there? i really need to post more over here. i broke a hundred on fender... oh well, only one way to do that...
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
August 12th, 2007 at 05:56am
I've been playing guitar for 11 years
i have the following guitars
*Gibson
*Fender
*Ibenez
*Epiphone

lyrical lies.
Always Born a Crime
lyrical lies.
August 14th, 2007 at 05:14am
Hmm i just started playing about two months ago
i can play a few songs but mostly just parts of them.
i can play all of desert song and i can play the intro of disenchanted really well and the last part of it too
I suck because I'm teaching myself..but I'm getting there..
Hopefully if i become very into guitar I may get a Fender or maybe even a Gibson or Epiphone.
Does anyone have any tips on how to learn difficult chords?? I think c # was one of the ones i was having trouble with ..
Any other advice on playing techniques and stuff would be really great..
Thanks=)
We Are The Ocean
Salute You in Your Grave
We Are The Ocean
August 19th, 2007 at 08:16pm
has anyone done any rockschool grades, if so can you tell me what it is like, i mean actually doing the grading thingy and who grades you, oh and if your guitar teacher comes?
ain't got no soul.
Salute You in Your Grave
ain't got no soul.
August 20th, 2007 at 05:28am
Well. I've been playing for like.. 2 months (broke guitar string, had to wait for a month. broke another, had to get a new set.. you know.. excuses). I've got my Washburn (One of the X-Series, got it for cheap cheap).... I still suck. I can play some Demolition Lovers, Skylines and Turnstiles, Desert Song... Thats about it. I pretty much suck. I don't have a teacher but... Any tips? I can't read Chords, I just read tabs. In a couple years, when me and my friend start a band, I am sure as hell getting a Gibson Les Paul. I'm kinda having trouble with my fretting hand. I usually stall when I get to some parts cause I have to position my fingers correctly, any tips?
Silverstein
Bleeding on the Floor
Silverstein
August 20th, 2007 at 07:13am
Here's an exercise you can do:

E|--------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4--
B|----------------------------------------1-2-3-4------------
G|-----------------------------1-2-3-4----------------------
D|-------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------------
A|---------1-2-3-4------------------------------------------
E|1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------

I'd try out a slimmed-down version of guitar virtuoso Steve Vai's 10 hour workout, in the latest issue of Guitar World. That is the ultimate guitar magazine.
Also, I suggest you learn chords, especially the powerchords. In this diagram below, a - represents one fret. A really easy one is this:

E|-----
B|-----
G|-----
D|--3-
A|--3-
E|1---

So that's the first finger on the first fret low E, third finger barring the A and D strings at the third fret. Learn the notes on the neck, as moving this powerchord up and down the neck varies the note. Whichever note your first finger is on is the name of the chord. Here's a quick diagram, starting at the first fret of the E string:

F-F sharp(#)-G-G#-A-A#-B-C-C#-D-D#-E

That's twelve frets, or an octave. Between B and C and E and F there are no sharps. There's a lesson on Ultimate Guitar that goes more in-depth on this. Good luck!
ain't got no soul.
Salute You in Your Grave
ain't got no soul.
August 21st, 2007 at 05:11am
Wow, thanks!
Just a carcrash away
Banned
Just a carcrash away
August 22nd, 2007 at 11:12am
ignore.
Silverstein
Bleeding on the Floor
Silverstein
August 22nd, 2007 at 07:46pm
Buried In Bullets:
Wow, thanks!

Sure thang! A book I highly recommend is Guitar for Dummies. Helped me so much. It takes you from beginner to intermediate (low). Amazing book, comes with a CD reference that has bonus MP3 tracks.
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
August 22nd, 2007 at 10:51pm
im getting a new guitar any suggestions which one i should get im really not sure
Silverstein
Bleeding on the Floor
Silverstein
August 22nd, 2007 at 11:33pm
xMyBlackDaliahx:
im getting a new guitar any suggestions which one i should get im really not sure
How much can you afford?
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
August 23rd, 2007 at 02:47am
it should be atleast $200