Don't have an account? Create one!

Teenage Depression

AuthorMessage
tattooed lovers.
Motor Baby
tattooed lovers.
December 10th, 2007 at 08:23pm
Yes, teenagers can go through depression. It's common now more than ever. I think some teenagers are just overacting, though. Teenagers today have low self-esteem, and they believe the world is a horrible place. I know, the world isn't a perfect place, but it is amazing. Kid's think they have it hard, but they should realize there are kids far worse than they are. Kids in Africa have no parents due to AIDS, and some kids just complain about not having an iPod.
I think if a family has a history of depression, the kid will probably go through it. Depression can happen from peeer pressure and etc.
The teenagers don't talk to anyone, they hide their emotions from people. I think generally the depression will get worse and worse, they need to talk to someone-- whether it be a therpaist, a parent, a family friend, or even a teacher. They can chose to talk to anyone, anyway. Whether it be art, poetry, or music.
Medication does not always solve depression, and as stated in most ads, it can make it worse. Therapists as a good choice, but some teenagers won't talk. The think the therapist does not understand them. So, I think the parents of the teenager should find a therapist the kid approves of (if they approve of one at all) or find a different therapy method.
GerardWayismy_hero
Killjoy
GerardWayismy_hero
December 10th, 2007 at 10:45pm
Im so depress because one my BF used me just so he could make fun of me. I moved away from all my friends and now I'm an outcast and an outsider. My bestest friend is being an A-hole and stuck up. And my dog just died. So my life is so sucky right now. So welcome to my life.
AAAU
Joining The Black Parade
AAAU
December 10th, 2007 at 10:55pm
i think depression such a complicated thing. it's weird because people in the US, for example, are generally healthier, wealthier, and have more opportunities than ever before. new technology helps makes the lives of almost everyone easier and more convienent. this progress, one would think, would make people happier, but it seems as though this age has given birth to loads and loads of mental illness, such as depression. As a teenager myself, with seemingly everything a person could want, i sometimes find myself rediculously depressed...
i think this new age is bringing in so much pressure and competition, and such fast paced life styles, and this pressure strikes teenagers just as hard as adults, if not harder. i think this one huge reason why everyone's crazy or depressed these days. i don't see how it can get better in the future.
love on her arms.
Bleeding on the Floor
love on her arms.
December 24th, 2007 at 01:36pm
1. There Is Such thing as teenage depression at that is one thing I will stand for since i suffer from it.
2. Both. Your friends can only do so much but they can help.
Your Parents Get you help.
3. Honestly..I dont think so.
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
December 24th, 2007 at 05:48pm
1. Do you think there's really teenage depression, or are they just moody/hormonal/overreacting?Yes, I think there is really teenage depression
2. If a teen is depressed, is family support needed or can the teen get better by themselves/with the help of one close family member or friend(s)?Family support is best, especially if the family is very open and love/care for their son/daughter
3. Can depression be treated without the help of a psychotherapist/medicine?Yes and No
4. How?A psychotherapist can be somewhat of help by listening to what has caused the teenager's depression
rise_again_tomarrow
Joining The Black Parade
rise_again_tomarrow
December 28th, 2007 at 04:29pm
1.Yes, i have it
2. idk
3. No theripist, just a waste, maby medications
mcRmy_caz
Killjoy
mcRmy_caz
December 28th, 2007 at 05:46pm
A close friend of mine has suffered from deppression now for 3 years off and on. It can be helped by going to a psychiatrist, but it rely depends on them. sum of them are brilliant adn work thru problems but my firned gets it severly and i tink it only seems to help at times. The fact that she keeps gettin it must mean there's an underlying problem. she was always very shy with no confidence around other people only me and a few others. so I think she found it hard going to college.She stayed at home with her parents dirong college giving her little freedom and to grow independent. Iv never seen her mum praise her for aything she did..it was always bout how good every1 else was at things. I think every1 needs to get away from home and enjoy college without pressure like tht from stupid parents. I f u know any1 suffering from it then u shud let them know on a constant basis how much u care fr them by taking an interest in their lives, and bring them to those crazy parties to experience wat life is about or just meet for a chat to see how they're getting on!!!
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
December 28th, 2007 at 05:48pm
For question number three, I feel that if you go and talk to a psychotherapist, its kind of wasting your time, if you keep thinking of whatever made you depressed...and continue to be like that
a_h
Thinking Happy Thoughts
a_h
December 29th, 2007 at 12:09pm
ThinkxHappyxThoughts:
Okay, I was looking up on depression, and I didn't see a depression thread so I started one.

1. Do you think there's really teenage depression, or are they just moody/hormonal/overreacting?
2. If a teen is depressed, is family support needed or can the teen get better by themselves/with the help of one close family member or friend(s)?
3. Can depression be treated without the help of a psychotherapist/medicine?
4. How?

I thought these questions would help us see your views. If anyone else has any more ideas feel free.

1. there is DEFINITLY such thing as teenage depression, and what makes it ten times worse is the moodyness and overreacting that comes along with their hormones. depression can come to any age group i believe.
2. nobody can get over depression by themselves. in most cases they need to be saved from themselves. that was my case. normally people with depression need to get out, get a psychotherapist and they need to know that people will stand by them.
3 i believe that maybe depression can be treated without a phsycotherapist and/or meds. but it just makes it that much harder. it takes a much longer time.
4 maybe just having their friends take them out to wide open places and having talks about how great life actually is...
xXrevengeXx
Killjoy
xXrevengeXx
January 13th, 2008 at 05:57am
I believe there is a thing such as teenage depression, i have had it my self. I hated myself and the world. I dreaded going anywhere. For me personally i didn't need any help, well, i didn't have anyone i really wanted help from. You can get over it by yourself, you just need to see the good things in life, learn to live again, instead of dwelling on all the negatives in the world. It can be treated without the help of psychotherapists or medicines. Though some people choose to use them, they are not necessary. If you have good friends, lean on them a little, tell them you need help. All that most people need is a little nudge the right way. That is my view anyway.
vam_phire
Killjoy
vam_phire
January 15th, 2008 at 07:33am
depression is usualy caused by stress.
mostly by the damn 'rentz
pretty sane.
In The Murder Scene
pretty sane.
January 16th, 2008 at 09:19am
3: I don't know if depression can be treated with the help of psychotherapist/medicine but I have a therapist that has become like my best friend. It really has helped. He has been in my life for 3 years and bcuz of him my life seems that much easier..........I just needed someone to care for me. He knew what i was saying without me having to say it........I never thought anyone would care that much about me......
and if they get me
Killjoy
and if they get me
January 20th, 2008 at 06:21pm
this subject is genuinely interesting to view other people's thoughts on.
especially finding out that i'm not the only one in the world diagnosed with clinical depression and bipolar disorders.

My mother and my grandmother were both diagnosed with bipolar also so i was wondering if it's a genetic thing? if someone could let me know then i would be thankful, it's no big though, just a curiousity.

in all honesty, i do not think at all that clinical depression can be helped without the aid of medication. maybe it's just me but there's no way i would be able to cope myself down from insane thoughts without having a lexipro to back me up on it.

however, when it comes to panic attacks, which are worse then hell for those of you have never had one, i am being "forced" to deal with it without medication. that's because i got addicted to the clonzepam my mother was giving when i got a panic attack.

it wasnt her fault, i mean she had no clue. but it got to the point where i was asking for a clonzepam six times in two days. i didn't even know i asked for one that many times, in all honesty.

so as a result i spend most of my days in my bedroom, with my laptop, my cat, my cd player, and my anime (gotta love it ^.^), and in all honesty- ive never had less panic attacks in a loooong time. i guess im just "antisocial" and i absolutely hate crowds.... im screwed when i have to move out.
xxxGerardLoverxxx
Killjoy
xxxGerardLoverxxx
January 20th, 2008 at 08:29pm
Im a teenager and im depressed whats wrong with it
Sarahbree
Killjoy
Sarahbree
January 21st, 2008 at 07:46am
I do beleve in depression because i used to cut myself an i felt lyk everything was my fault an my friends secretly hated me an i was fighting with my parents so family problems can cause a person to become so down they just give up on everything an don't give anymore but other times people are over-recating so it's sort of depends and im only 15 an havent seen a doctor because my parents are clueless an think suicide is for the weak but thats not the case and the only drug i've tryd is pot so im not completly of the rails
wild like children.
In The Murder Scene
wild like children.
January 21st, 2008 at 08:19am
I used to cut. But I don't believe that I am depressed.
Sure, I kept my problems and emotions bottled up, but that's just how I was raised.
Lady Wicked
Killjoy
Lady Wicked
January 21st, 2008 at 11:41am
yes teenage depression is real
they can fix it themselves but its harder without the help of family and friends
i wouldnt know about this shrink though
i suppose it could help, but then shrinks bring up facts that could be harmful
and they could make things worse
as for cutting- iv got cuts right now and im sincerely ashamed of them
if u cut i am begging you not to there are people who love you and will hurt themselves because of you hurting yourself. please if you are FIND HELP!!!
The Joker
Salute You in Your Grave
The Joker
January 25th, 2008 at 04:09pm
I think teenagers are put under A LOT of stress nowadays.
Theres soo much coursework, school work, revision, homework, exams and it feels like your sinking.
Stress can lead to depression.
It's not good and should not be ignored.
RaggDoll
Killjoy
RaggDoll
January 25th, 2008 at 11:26pm
i had this teacher once who use to be depressed as a teenager but when she started teaching a student told her you can move the world if you put your mind to it!...
all im trying to say is anything can be cured! I was diagnosed w/ depression at the age of 7 and i have not taken one medication for it! I haven't needed to!
Yea teenagers can be depressed(which means the intensity of emotions) or they can be hormonal! You just have to decide whether or not its going to control you...

..L..
TeamEdward
Fabulous Killjoy
TeamEdward
February 3rd, 2008 at 03:07pm
i hate the way
people link depression to emos
its not a friggin stereotype
its an illness and should be treated with sensitivity
i dunno why people boost about havn it either
it's just weird