Don't have an account? Create one!

Teenage Depression

AuthorMessage
The?!Society
Fabulous Killjoy
The?!Society
March 27th, 2008 at 04:07pm
I think that when you're a teenager, it's super hard to tell whether you're depressed or just normal. I've heard so many adults say how much better life got when they got out of the teenager years. Life is getting so 'effin hard for teenagers...maybe every teenager has depression!
differant.
Shotgun Sinner
differant.
March 30th, 2008 at 02:51am
i think teenage depression is something people just brush off lightly. it should be taken much more seriously.
if we dont act on it when we can, we may never get the chance.
stac-renee
Killjoy
stac-renee
March 31st, 2008 at 03:36pm
I have been a nurse for a while and I can tell you that teens have hormonal changes that cause them to be moody, depressed, and overreactive. this will go away as they grow however some of this can be a chemical imbalance in the brain. it helps to know if anyone in their family has been treated for depression at any time.
it can be treated by talking to someone they know and love IF IT IS SITUATIONAL DEPRESSION NOT A CHEMICAL IMBALANCE. if the depressive episode become prolonged or the person is a danger to theirself or others they should see a doctor ASAP
vampirate516
Fabulous Killjoy
vampirate516
April 2nd, 2008 at 05:31pm
yes, some teenagers can be overreactive or just sensitive, or whatever you want to call or describe it. HOWEVER i personally believe, that just like anyone else, teenagers can and are depressed. and theres nothing wrong with that becuase its pratically a part of life and everyone gets depressed at one point in time. yes, some people do take it to the extreame which is unnesesary but for those of us who are depressed just cant help it.
When it comes to family support, sure that can work....in a happy universe where rainbows flie out of peoples ass! sorry im joking, yes family can help sometimes but then again they can only make it worst by making it a bigger issue than it really is or just not caring. it swings both ways. but i think that its better to talk to a friend or someone who makes you happy or that you can trust atleast. i think that its posible to do it by yourself but a million times harder alone, then again that could be the problem to begin with.
doctors and shrinks are not nesessary in most cases, you can be treated without any pills required, it will take effort, but no matter what anyone thinks you can get out of this mess. but if someone feels like theres no way out you can consider it.
i was deeply depressed many times and i have came out of it without any medical help.
my advice is be strong, dont take anyones shit, live for a better day, it will get better, it may take a long time, but everything will be worth it in the end.
jay!
Bleeding on the Floor
jay!
May 10th, 2008 at 03:44pm
1. I believe teenage depression really does exist because I am/was suffering from it.

2. I think both can occur. I know my friends have pulled me out of depression before, but then so has my mom who is my own personal support group.

3. Yes, depression can be treated without medicine or a therapist. In some cases, it's just a regular mood you feel like happiness, anger, etc. However some in other cases like severe depression with thoughts of suicide involved it would be better for the person suffering to seek medical help.
Domenic
Killjoy
Domenic
May 10th, 2008 at 03:48pm
1. Do you think there's really teenage depression, or are they just moody/hormonal/overreacting?

Obviously. I have a severe depression disorder.

2. If a teen is depressed, is family support needed or can the teen get better by themselves/with the help of one close family member or friend(s)?

Well yeah someone can make them better but when you have social anxiety with it it's really fucking hard.

3. Can depression be treated without the help of a psychotherapist/medicine?

Yes.

4. How?

Not sure.

But yeah, I have severe depression and severe social anxiety and I haven't really found anything that helps besides music.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 10th, 2008 at 09:25pm
vampirate516:

doctors and shrinks are not nesessary in most cases, you can be treated without any pills required, it will take effort, but no matter what anyone thinks you can get out of this mess.

Psychiatrists are actually required. They are required to diagnose you with depression.

You cannot diagnose yourself with depression. Only people who have the qualifications to can.

I find it quite odd that so many teenagers think they're depressed, but they haven't even been checked out by a professional, i.e a psychiatrist or at least a psychologist. Or even a counsellor.

If they haven't been to see anyone about it, how do they know they're depressed, especially if they're 13 /14 years old? They have no experience with it. For all they know, they could just be having a mood swing. It's a normal part of teenage life.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
May 10th, 2008 at 11:52pm
although you need a psychiatrist/psychologist to diagnose you with the illness, you can handle it without continuous help, although that would be a pretty silly thing to do.
sure, you may be able to beat it without meds, but it will be hard work. but you cant just go on meds. if you go on meds, you also need to do behavioural therapy aswell, so when you go off the meds, its easier.
all the meds do is fix up the chemical imbalance. serotonin is the chemical that is imbalances in depression, anxiety, ocd, schizophrenia, paranoia and a few other disorders.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 11th, 2008 at 02:50am
^And over here [at least in Adelaide], it's actually illegal I think to give people under the age of 18 [or 16, I can't remember] psychiatric medication to treat things like depression, because of their hormones etc. I'll check with my friend who studies psychology...
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
May 11th, 2008 at 03:33am
^ oh really.
i live in sydney, and ive been on meds. not for depression, but for anxiety, and its the same drug...
i dunno. a few people i know have been also.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 11th, 2008 at 04:00am
Well, it's either illegal or it's not recommended. I'm thinking it's more that it's not recommended that people under a certain age [i.e 16 or 18] are not given psychiatric meds. I heard it originally from my psychology teacher in highschool when we were studying depression. But psychiatric practices vary from state to state and country to country, so it might just be in South Australia that that happens.

And also, there are a few drugs that are used to treat anxiety and depression, and they aren't all the same. It varies.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
May 11th, 2008 at 04:33am
^ oh yer, i know. im just saying the ones ive been put on (xanax & zoloft) are commonly used for depression also.

yer, i get what you mean. i honestly dont think its a great idea for young people to be on them. but if you cant beat something through behavioural therapy only, i think its good. like, im going through a very very bad time at the moment with my anxiety and i want to get back on the meds because i cant handle it by myself. its very hard to live with.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
May 11th, 2008 at 05:29am
techno cocaine.:

If they haven't been to see anyone about it, how do they know they're depressed, especially if they're 13 /14 years old? They have no experience with it. For all they know, they could just be having a mood swing. It's a normal part of teenage life.
[/font]

That is a good point.

I don't know how to word what i am going to say next, but when i say it I mean no offence to teens who really do have depression and listen to the music in question.
But basically, I think that a lot of teens about 12, 13, 14 ect like to think they have depression, especially if they listen to music like MCR. (I know that MCR do not promote depression or anything, but you have to admit there is that stigma about them with depression). I have noticed that pattern at least in other forums where people in that age group go.
Domenic
Killjoy
Domenic
May 11th, 2008 at 02:38pm
techno cocaine.:
vampirate516:

doctors and shrinks are not nesessary in most cases, you can be treated without any pills required, it will take effort, but no matter what anyone thinks you can get out of this mess.

Psychiatrists are actually required. They are required to diagnose you with depression.

You cannot diagnose yourself with depression. Only people who have the qualifications to can.

I find it quite odd that so many teenagers think they're depressed, but they haven't even been checked out by a professional, i.e a psychiatrist or at least a psychologist. Or even a counsellor.

I've been checked out by a professional numerous times, I have severe depression.
YourHopelessHair
Killjoy
YourHopelessHair
May 11th, 2008 at 05:53pm
I wish I could be on meds...my parents are seriously against any current medications for the mind because they believe everything I'm going through (anxiety, depression) is just a phase. Bugs the shit out of me.
Domenic
Killjoy
Domenic
May 11th, 2008 at 06:13pm
Ask them if you can see a professional then.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 11th, 2008 at 07:52pm
Domenic:
techno cocaine.:
vampirate516:

I've been checked out by a professional numerous times, I have severe depression.

Okay, good on you.
But you're not the only teenager. There are actually quite a lot who have never been checked out by a psychiatrist who go around moaning on about how they're depressed.
Nadia Way
Jazz Hands
Nadia Way
May 11th, 2008 at 07:59pm
i dont think mcr encourages depression, in fact there are a couple mcr-saved-my-life stories out there. We dont know how accurate they are, but still...
Domenic
Killjoy
Domenic
May 11th, 2008 at 08:04pm
techno cocaine.:
Domenic:
techno cocaine.:
vampirate516:

Okay, good on you.
But you're not the only teenager. There are actually quite a lot who have never been checked out by a psychiatrist who go around moaning on about how they're depressed.

Believe me I know Razz.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
May 14th, 2008 at 04:31am
YourHopelessHair:
I wish I could be on meds...my parents are seriously against any current medications for the mind because they believe everything I'm going through (anxiety, depression) is just a phase. Bugs the shit out of me.

you could try talking to like a school councilor if you have one, or even just a bog standard teacher, because if they think something is wrong, they have to talk to you about it. I've had to go see my English teacher a few times about stuff because she's always worried about me, and it really does help, just talking to someone, even if they can't do anything...

or call line childLine (08001111i think) cause they will talk to anyone about anything, even 'my mates are drinking in their house. I'm worried. They're only 17'! =]