Don't have an account? Create one!

Teenage Depression

AuthorMessage
dee dee ramone.
Always Born a Crime
dee dee ramone.
February 3rd, 2008 at 06:32pm
Copper Island.:
I used to cut. But I don't believe that I am depressed.
Sure, I kept my problems and emotions bottled up, but that's just how I was raised.

Pretty much the same. I just kept my problems bottled up because I didn't want to talk about them.
the sharpest lives.
Shotgun Sinner
the sharpest lives.
February 3rd, 2008 at 07:40pm
frost.:
Copper Island.:
Sure, I kept my problems and emotions bottled up, but that's just how I was raised.

Pretty much the same. I just kept my problems bottled up because I didn't want to talk about them.

Same here.
I think that I will eventually break from keeping all of my problems bottled, though. I fear that.
TeamEdward
Fabulous Killjoy
TeamEdward
February 4th, 2008 at 12:02pm
the sharpest lives.:
frost.:
Copper Island.:

Same here.
I think that I will eventually break from keeping all of my problems bottled, though. I fear that.
to be honest so do i
an i'm shit scared of what type of person my problems will turn me into

i don't think i could put that much time of faith into some1
i know that they will just leave me in the end
x
Sex and Candy
Salute You in Your Grave
Sex and Candy
February 6th, 2008 at 03:57pm
I've had deppresion really bad, all I did was move away from all those things that made me deppresed, I 've been happy for a year about now but I think that its coming back and my mum doesn't wanna send me to a therapist. so Il just cope for now.... So I believe that there is a thing such as teenage deppresion
sad savior;
Wild Eyed Joker
sad savior;
February 8th, 2008 at 12:52pm
I think it depends on the person. Some teenagers aren't depressed, some are. I'm not even a teenager yet, and I'm going through it. But alot of people I know are teenagers and they really don't have any reason to be depressed.

And again, I think it depends on the person if they need help from their family or friends. Some people are very close to their family and know that they can confide in them about anything. Some people aren't close to their family at all, feel they don't understand them, and they would never be able to help them, they'd just make it worse. And they might not be able to seek help from a friend, because some teenagers who are in the state of depression might be in that state because they don't have friends, or their friends don't acknowledge them as they should.

I think depression can be treated without medicine. No one knows for sure if depression medicine really works, or if when people take it they think that they're taking medicine that is going to help them, and they eventually do get better because they believe that.
I also think that it is possible to treat depression without a therapist. I believe that if the teenager looks deep enough inside, they will be able to find themself and try to mentally treat their depression on thier own.
My Vampire Romance
Killjoy
My Vampire Romance
February 8th, 2008 at 01:26pm
I bin depressed since my goddamn house burned down. I c the world in black and gray. I guess this is normal. I used to cut myself. I tried killing myself a few weeks ago by hitting the top of my head on my dresser. But hey, life is effd up. I think im stil depressed cuz I stil cry A LOT.
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
February 8th, 2008 at 05:27pm
Bite to break skin.:
I think it depends on the person. Some teenagers aren't depressed, some are. I'm not even a teenager yet, and I'm going through it. But alot of people I know are teenagers and they really don't have any reason to be depressed.

how are you so sure, though? do you know every little thing that goes on in their personal lives? i really don't think you do, because i have friends i have known for years and i still don't know everything that happens in their life. so stop and think before you say they don't have a reason to be depressed, because you just might not know every little thing in their life at the moment.

teenagers can get depressed, but just like anything else some are quick to say they have it and diagnosis themselves before getting help or telling someone how they feel. depression is hereditary, so some should stop and think and check other family members, because my depression i got from my dad. i was never medicated, just saw a psychologist for a year and a half.
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
February 10th, 2008 at 02:48am
glorious.:
Bite to break skin.:

how are you so sure, though? do you know every little thing that goes on in their personal lives? i really don't think you do, because i have friends i have known for years and i still don't know everything that happens in their life. so stop and think before you say they don't have a reason to be depressed, because you just might not know every little thing in their life at the moment.

teenagers can get depressed, but just like anything else some are quick to say they have it and diagnosis themselves before getting help or telling someone how they feel. depression is hereditary, so some should stop and think and check other family members, because my depression i got from my dad. i was never medicated, just saw a psychologist for a year and a half.

Actually, nowadays, it is true, because some people have found being depressed as a way of getting attention. It's true that there are people who are really depressed, and really need help. But there are others who are "depressed'' so that people will notice them more. And if you really DO know that person well enough, it is possible that you can conclude that they are really just doing it for the sake of DOING it.
Spirited Away
Joining The Black Parade
Spirited Away
March 23rd, 2008 at 06:43pm
I do belive in teenage depression (like everyone else). I belive this because i did have it, but for not the common reasons. Its just that there is too much pressure put on people these days. There is a set way to live. You have to wear nice clothes and listen to hip hop music. Thats just how it went. Then I started listening to MCR and it changed my whole point of view. Like everything became clear. I became depressed because I didnt want to live in the in crowd anymore. Who was I trying to be? Wearing nice clothes and all that crap. I shut myself up in my room and listened to My Chem all the time. My depression went away over time. I just realized that I didnt have to be friends with those sort of people. I found friends who liked me for who I was and now Im happy. I think depression can go away by itself, but, in some cases, depressions might have to be treated with the help of therepists. Not all the time, but if the situation is really bad.
Littlemisschem
Fabulous Killjoy
Littlemisschem
March 23rd, 2008 at 07:52pm
1. Really, no. I don't think so. There is such a thing as a teen going through a depression. But I don't think there's something called teen depression, simply because it's not typical of teens. It doesn't make much sense, but in my mind there is a difference. Something of extreme and unfortunate signifigance usually causes depression in teens, stuff like death in the family or maybe exclusion from peers, etc. That can also be the cause of moodiness, but most teens will eventually get better. There will always be pain there, but life goes on for them. Someone with depression will basically wallow in that sadness for months, perhaps years. Sometimes, it will go unnoticed by friends and family, but that's only if they are really good at putting up fronts.
2. Support from loved ones is always needed. As for the whole help yourself thing, that's not really possible. I'm pretty sure there's no rules, guidelines, or a Do-It-Yourself book on getting yourself out of depression. This is something that only love or a therapist can fix.
3. This is answered in the last sentence of 2, otherwise no.
4. You can't do it. Although a year's supply of cheesecake might do the trick......

"I DON'T LIKE SPAM!" Monty Python: SPAM sketch (the meat spam)
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
March 23rd, 2008 at 09:39pm
I believe some teenagers could be depressed, but I wholeheartedly believe that the majority of teens that say they're depressed aren't depressed at all. I think there's a trend amongst teenagers [especially younger ones, around 12, 13, 14] to harp on about how "sad and depressed" they are, when in actual fact, they're probably just going through what every single teenager goes through - rejection, loss, fights amongst friends, fighting with their parents and siblings, their grades, what they want to do in the future... the list is endless.

There's a fine line between hormones getting the better of you, and depression. At the end of the day, I think most teens are just saying they're depressed for either attention, or because they think it's cool.
defunct
Killjoy
defunct
March 24th, 2008 at 08:11am
but what happens if youre scared to tell your parents that you have it... so you cant see a doctor?
Noxmorexlies
Jazz Hands
Noxmorexlies
March 24th, 2008 at 05:09pm
If you're afraid to speak to your parents when they take you to the doctor you can call ahead and let her know you'd like to speak to her/him about something in private, or ask them to wait for you in the waiting room. My doctor told me I had to go to a psychologist for it though so that I could be put on an Anti-Depressant because it could help me .. my mom never took me though.

Good luck tell you're doctor as much as you can to see where you can go from there.
calculated sacrifice
Shotgun Sinner
calculated sacrifice
March 25th, 2008 at 07:47am
ThinkxHappyxThoughts:

1. Do you think there's really teenage depression, or are they just moody/hormonal/overreacting?
2. If a teen is depressed, is family support needed or can the teen get better by themselves/with the help of one close family member or friend(s)?
3. Can depression be treated without the help of a psychotherapist/medicine?
4. How?

I thought these questions would help us see your views. If anyone else has any more ideas feel free.

Sometimes some teens just feel like theyre misunderstood, basing it on their problems with parents. Sometimes its just hormonal, y'know, puberty and all. and Sometimes they're just asking for attention. It depends on the situation really.

Someone depressed, really needs the help of those close to them. It will make them feel like they arent alone or that there are people who understand and care for them. Its hard sometimes if they deal with it themselves because they just might make the wrong decision. They just need a little bit of company and TLC Smile

I believe that most people prefer not to be helped professionally because they dont like people telling them what they already know, so its best if they just let family members help. Medications can sometimes lead to drug abuse, making the person think that if they keep on taking it they will get better. but then sometimes it does work to have someone tell you the right things to do and then the meds can help lessen the "depressing thoughts". Again, its all in the situation
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
March 25th, 2008 at 07:55am
defunct:
but what happens if youre scared to tell your parents that you have it... so you cant see a doctor?

How do teenagers [or anyone, for that matter] know that they have depression? You'd be surprised how many people are just sad about something, but they jump to conclusions and think they suddenly have depression or some kind of disorder. Teenagers do that all the time.
eg.
"Oh no! My boyfriend dumped me! I'm so depressed, wah wah wah!!!!!!!"

File

Truth be told, the ones that are actually depressed probably wouldn't say anything. If anyone goes around telling everyone that will listen that they're depressed, you know it ain't true. If you're actually depressed, chances are you're not going to want to disclose it to a lot of people.

If I had a teenage kid [I'm talking young teenager - like 12, 13, 14 even 15] and they told me they were depressed, I probably wouldn't take them seriously at first.
Meeshell
Awake and Unafraid
Meeshell
March 25th, 2008 at 10:31am
^^ alright, while what you say about people faking it and whining about it is true, there are cases where the teenager is mature enough to step back and realize that they have a problem
maybe its real depression, maybe its not, maybe its something else, but shouldnt a parent be willing to listen to their child enough to at least take them to a doctor to SEE what's going on?
i have a friend who hasnt been sleeping hardly at ALL lately, he's constantly in a bad mood, and all these other symptoms of depression, but he's too afraid to tell his parents that anything's wrong. does that mean that he has depression, no, but does it mean that he DOESNT? also, no.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
March 26th, 2008 at 05:55am
^Well, he's never going to find out if he sits on his arse and does nothing, now is he? Despite the fact that he's afraid, he should just tell his parents - and then they will choose whether they want to do anything or not.
If he really doesn't want to tell his parents, then the least he could do is disclose it to a school councillor or someone like that.
Maybe that's why he's always in a bad mood; he's not talking to anyone about it.
Noxmorexlies
Jazz Hands
Noxmorexlies
March 26th, 2008 at 08:59pm
squiggly.:

Truth be told, the ones that are actually depressed probably wouldn't say anything.

squiggly.:
^Well, he's never going to find out if he sits on his arse and does nothing, now is he?

That's pretty contradicting. Depression is depression; just because someone finally takes the step in trying to get help doesn't mean they probably aren't depressed. I always knew I had depression it took me a while to bother and even tell my doctor but I did and I had relentless depression, the cause of my insomnia along with a pile of other troubles.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
March 27th, 2008 at 05:03am
When I said "the ones that are actually depressed probably wouldn't say anything", I was talking about to people in general - not people that can actually help them like psychiatrists / psychologists / councillors.
If they go around telling everyone in highschool "Oooh, I'm so depressed, wah wah" then they probably aren't - they probably just see depression as being something that's cool to do.

So when I also said "he's never going to find out if he sits on his arse", I meant that he should at least tell his parents so they can get him help with a psychiatrist / psychologist / councillor. I wasn't saying he should go tell everyone that would listen.

Does that make more sense?
Noxmorexlies
Jazz Hands
Noxmorexlies
March 27th, 2008 at 03:47pm
I misunderstood you. I agree with what you meant, I've heard one too many people go around calling themselves depressed. I've never told my friends or my sisters about my depression just my doctor. People who are depressed should definatly try and get help whether it's talking to a friend or counsler it doesn't go away on it's own.