Don't have an account? Create one!

Teenage Depression

AuthorMessage
Helena of Sorrows
Fabulous Killjoy
Helena of Sorrows
July 7th, 2008 at 12:06am
1. Do you think there's really teenage depression, or are they just moody/hormonal/overreacting?
=teenage depression is real. young adults really experienced depression because we feel more pressure have been given to us by our parents, school and even other people. i personally think am suffering in depression. so much thoughts are going into my head. from family problems to school problems, to people who i really don't know. i feel like anytime im gonna breakdown. too much problems that i cannot handle them anymore.

2. If a teen is depressed, is family support needed or can the teen get better by themselves/with the help of one close family member or friend(s)?
=sometimes family really can help, but sometimes it really cant. especially if they are one of the cause of your depression. like me, most of my problems are from my family. my parents are always fighting. always shouting at each other. making us feel like it's world war three. i having a lot of pressure from my family and relatives that i should finish my studies or else i would end up a shit. so i say, you cannot help by your family if they are the main cause of your depression.

3. Can depression be treated without the help of a psychotherapist/medicine?
=i think its a yes.

4. How?
=let's take Gerard Way as an example...correct me if im wrong, Gerard once suffered from depression. but he did got out of it through the help of the band, music, his art and drawings, and i think by us, fans. He, made music, the outlet of his depression, he wrote songs about what he feels, he let his feelings be heard through music as well as with his art or drawings. Music and Art are his primary outlet for his depression, and soon it became the cure to his depression. With the fans, we made him feel that he is not in this world alone, as well as what he did to us. So, it means, that you just need to find something that will make your mind busy and that will cause you to stop thinking about your problems and some things. You just need to find some stuffs that would serve as the outlet for your depression thoughts.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 7th, 2008 at 02:26am
Helena of Sorrows:

4. How?
=let's take Gerard Way as an example...correct me if im wrong, Gerard once suffered from depression. but he did got out of it through the help of the band, music, his art and drawings, and i think by us, fans. He, made music, the outlet of his depression, he wrote songs about what he feels, he let his feelings be heard through music as well as with his art or drawings. Music and Art are his primary outlet for his depression, and soon it became the cure to his depression. With the fans, we made him feel that he is not in this world alone, as well as what he did to us. So, it means, that you just need to find something that will make your mind busy and that will cause you to stop thinking about your problems and some things. You just need to find some stuffs that would serve as the outlet for your depression thoughts.

But do you think this would work for everyone? Image
Helena of Sorrows
Fabulous Killjoy
Helena of Sorrows
July 7th, 2008 at 03:10am
^well it works for me... Very Happy

i think it depends on the person..on how he/she will deal with his/her depression...i think if you really want to go out of that misery your feeling, you will find a way...but if you're like the person who wont do anything and just wait until depression has totally eaten you, then it's up to you...
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 7th, 2008 at 07:37am
1. Do you think there's really teenage depression, or are they just moody/hormonal/overreacting?
Sometimes it is moodiness, but more and more teens are getting seriously depressed (more than just bouts(ours or a day) of depression, for weeks at a time). Maybe teens today have more stress and anxiety in their lives?

2. If a teen is depressed, is family support needed or can the teen get better by themselves/with the help of one close family member or friend(s)?
If it is a period of emotional depression (I don't know what else to call it. not a chemical imbalance) then time and the support of loved ones can help a lot.

Most definitely 'real' depression is a chemical imbalance.

4. How?
Therapy sessions and possibly anti depressants.

If you are seriously depressed I think it's a good idea if you tell someone or seek help.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 7th, 2008 at 08:17am
Helena of Sorrows:

i think it depends on the person..on how he/she will deal with his/her depression...i think if you really want to go out of that misery your feeling, you will find a way...but if you're like the person who wont do anything and just wait until depression has totally eaten you, then it's up to you...

I agree that it definitely depends on the person, but just because they may not have some kind of hobby to "pull them out" of depression it doesn't mean they are going to let their depression "eat them". Some people might prefer to get help from a professional who may also provide them with drugs to stabilise their moods and their hormones. I think that some people can definitely take it too far, but I also think that some people may need the drugs.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
July 7th, 2008 at 09:31am
^ Drugs can help, but I've experimented with drugs and I find that although they work and help me with anxiety and depression, they tend to all have a few side effects. My psychiatrist prescribed to ones when I was younger (mainly for anxiety) that made me increidibly hyper and made me talk non-stop, lol. Then later on I was on ones that made me nausous. The ones I've been currently put on make me slightly dizzy, make me nausous when the drug is wearing off and give me chest paints. Sad
At first I wasn't sure if it was the meds, but they all started and finished whilst I was on that particular medication, and the doctor says it's most likely related.
I know everyone would react differently, but a lot of thought, time and experimentation needs to be put into finding the correct meds and the correct dosage and everything like that.
I just thought I'd point that out cos yeah...
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 7th, 2008 at 09:51am
AmyPoptart:
^ Drugs can help, but I've experimented with drugs and I find that although they work and help me with anxiety and depression, they tend to all have a few side effects. My psychiatrist prescribed to ones when I was younger (mainly for anxiety) that made me increidibly hyper and made me talk non-stop, lol. Then later on I was on ones that made me nausous. The ones I've been currently put on make me slightly dizzy, make me nausous when the drug is wearing off and give me chest paints. Sad
At first I wasn't sure if it was the meds, but they all started and finished whilst I was on that particular medication, and the doctor says it's most likely related.
I know everyone would react differently, but a lot of thought, time and experimentation needs to be put into finding the correct meds and the correct dosage and everything like that.

There are side effects to almost any drugs. Though chest pains, nausea, and dizziness must suck. Sometimes you can be a depressed because of some kind of other mental disorder. Kids with undiagnosed ADD/ADHD and kids/people with aspergers syndrome can get really depressed because they don't know what is wrong with them.

Experimentation sounds like the wrong kind of thing. I know what you mean, just when you say experiment it sounds like something that you are doing yourself, not trying different meds that your doctor prescribed for you, which I know is what you meant.
Pansy Wolf
Fabulous Killjoy
Pansy Wolf
July 7th, 2008 at 02:26pm
Ofcourse there is such a thing as teenage depression
I think maybe some people do go over the top, but if you're depressed you can't help but making things worse or whatever (i can't explain)

There's so many different types of depression
But isn't it when you have like more sad hormones than good ones, or cells or something which outweigh the good ones.
I dunno it's something like that, somebody explained it to me once.

But yeh, it is definately something that needs more adults attention.
Because teachers and parents saying you're being a hypochondriact or whatever, isn't helping anyone and will make it worse.
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
July 8th, 2008 at 04:00am
It depends. Depression is very real. It's real for adults and it's real for teenagers too. In fact, it only makes sense that teenagers would be depressed. I mean any teenager on here can relate to the struggles of growing up. I'm was bullied in my last school, I'm not necessarilly bullied in the school I'm in now but I still get called names from time to time and things like that. So why wouldn't a teenager be likely to be depressed? I'm not denying that a kid would pretend to be depressed to be "cool". I'm sure it happens. I don't know how often, but it happens. I think that sometimes if a teenager is trying to seem depressed, they may cause themselves to be truly depressed, and then can't get out of it when things get bad. I mean, forcing yourself into that "everything is bleak" mindset would make you depressed. But it does happen naturally to teenagers. It isn't always (and in my opinion, it is rarely) just an act.

I don't really think family support is needed. Though it really depends on the teenager, and also on the family. The family could be the root of the depression, which will make it very difficult. And some teens aren't that close to their parents and don't feel they could talk to them about it. Whereas with friends, there is usually one friend that they can talk to. Probably because they are teenagers too, so they can relate to what's going on.

Most definately.

4. How?
If I may, I'll use myself an as example. I used to be depressed. Okay, worse than that. I was pretty goddam fucked up. I was a self loathing, suicidal, self-destructive, fragile mess of a person. It seemed like only a matter of time before I was going to eventually kill myself. I tried counselling. It just didn't work. Maybe it works for other people but no one I know said it did any good. I was put on medication. It gave me a little lift but just in knowing it was an artifical thing made me not want to take it for fear of losing sight of reality, however bleak reality seemed. I stopped taking medication. I turned to other methods of distraction. Self-harm, drinking, whatever I could use to numb the pain. And no, no pills or psychiatrist helped me. It was one of my best friends. One night I was good and ready to end it all. I noticed my friend was on MSN. I thought I'd "let him know and say a quick goodbye". He knew me well, and he knew how to talk to me. He talked me out of it, and I thought, fine, whatever, so I won't be killing myself yet.. But he kept on talking to me. Acting like a sort of "shrink", but one that knew me well. And he just kept on talking to me. And telling me how to feel better. And now I'm a new person. I'm not depressed. I've given up all of my old self-destructive habits. And I'm happy. Like, really happy. The happiest I've been in about 2 years. And I owe none of it to any counsellor etc. Or their medication either.

That's my two cents.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
July 8th, 2008 at 09:23am
Eponine:
AmyPoptart:

There are side effects to almost any drugs. Though chest pains, nausea, and dizziness must suck. Sometimes you can be a depressed because of some kind of other mental disorder. Kids with undiagnosed ADD/ADHD and kids/people with aspergers syndrome can get really depressed because they don't know what is wrong with them.

Experimentation sounds like the wrong kind of thing. I know what you mean, just when you say experiment it sounds like something that you are doing yourself, not trying different meds that your doctor prescribed for you, which I know is what you meant.

Haha! Experimentation does sound kinda... wrong. lol.
I'm glad you got what I meant though. Yeah, the side effects do suck, but I've heard that with most of them, they usually only last up to a week. It's just them kicking in. And it doesn't usually help with the disorder for maybe a month. (Again, depending on the person). I find meds really helpful for me, cos behavioural therapy doesn't work too well. But meds might not do anything for other people.
So yeah Smile
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 8th, 2008 at 10:54pm
AmyPoptart:

Haha! Experimentation does sound kinda... wrong. lol.
I'm glad you got what I meant though. Yeah, the side effects do suck, but I've heard that with most of them, they usually only last up to a week. It's just them kicking in. And it doesn't usually help with the disorder for maybe a month. (Again, depending on the person). I find meds really helpful for me, cos behavioural therapy doesn't work too well. But meds might not do anything for other people.
So yeah Smile

Well thats good, If that just went on and on and on, well, it would super suck.
Of course meds and behavioral therapy and any other kind of treatment are different for different people, I just think that whenever you're depressed (even if it is just teen angst) you should get help, weather it be professional medical help or ranting to a friend. Everyone should get to be happy. :]
helenanna
Killjoy
helenanna
July 11th, 2008 at 11:19am

I think there is such thing as teenage depression. I feel like the youth of today are under far too much stress, I know I personally feel stressed out constantly.

I really don't think that you can fight it alone. If you try to fight it by yourself, you might be able to stop it for a while; but it'll come back and probably harder than ever. If you have some sort of support system then you can rely on them rather than yourself, it takes even more pressure and stress off of yourself.

Yes. I'm in therapy and it's worked wonders for me. When I started therapy I insisted immediately that I would not be taking medication of any kind, and that's the last time I've ever discussed it with my therapist. She doesn't push it or suggest it and I'm glad that she respects my decision.

4. How?

For a couple months I didn't go to therapy [there was a lot going on and I kept forgetting to make an appointment] and those were really tough. I felt so hopless, but as soon as I went back to my therapist I felt calm and confident. Therapy is awesome, you finally have someone to talk to that will listen and suggest, support you, won't judge you, and genuinly cares about helping you through your problems. They're on YOUR side, and what a relief that is.
tiny-t
Killjoy
tiny-t
July 22nd, 2008 at 08:25am
i'm going through teen depression now i've tryed many different things, talking about it to my mum and sister they say its noting. self-harm you name it i've tryed it, but nothing helps not in my case any way. but if one thing is a big no on do not bottle it up if, your any thing like me you'll end up having some kind of fit in the middle of the shopping center. (not the best thing in the world)
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 22nd, 2008 at 09:33pm
tiny-t:
i'm going through teen depression now i've tryed many different things, talking about it to my mum and sister they say its noting. self-harm you name it i've tryed it, but nothing helps not in my case any way. but if one thing is a big no on do not bottle it up if, your any thing like me you'll end up having some kind of fit in the middle of the shopping center. (not the best thing in the world)

Ummm, it's really hard to understand what you're saying, but anyway, have you tried getting professional help?
Self harming is never the answer no matter what.
If you're having 'fits' then it might not be depression, it might be something else.
A lot of people have been saying that they think teenage depression is caused by the stress teens are under. I disagree. I think the pressure that teens are under can cause depression, but not the stress. The stress would lead to anxiety or panic attacks. (at least that's what happens when I'm under a lot of stress)
nevergetmealive
Joining The Black Parade
nevergetmealive
July 24th, 2008 at 05:06am
teenage depression definatelly exists...i think i might be going through some sort of depression, now i cant say for sure cause im not a doctor, but i definately think so. i have gone from feeling very depressed and sad about 2 months ago and now im nearly totally devoid of emotion and jst wanna die.
i dont want to tall my parents that ive had it for a long time cause i just started an acne medicine called roacatane which has a side affect (not even confirmed yet) in like 0.1 % of people that it causes depression. and my parents would want me to go off it cause they are scared of the rumours that might not even be true. and i know that it isnt the medicine cause i had it b4 i went on the mdeicine and really want my skin to clear up, so i cant tell them. and just dont want to tellthem cause of other reasons.
maybe do any of u who know a bit about this in this forum could give suggestions of waht it wrong with me?i know ur not doctors, but just an idea or what you think...
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 24th, 2008 at 06:05am
nevergetmealive:
teenage depression definatelly exists...i think i might be going through some sort of depression, now i cant say for sure cause im not a doctor, but i definately think so.

Wait - so let me get this straight:
You think you may be going through depression but you don't know for sure.... but you definitely think so...?

I'm confused....

nevergetmealive:
maybe do any of u who know a bit about this in this forum could give suggestions of waht it wrong with me?i know ur not doctors, but just an idea or what you think...

Sorry, but this isn't the place to ask for help or personal questions. If you have a problem with something like this, the best place to go would be Personal Questions subforum in the INO Chamber. More people could probably help you there Wink
xxWolvenPrincessxx
Joining The Black Parade
xxWolvenPrincessxx
July 28th, 2008 at 11:25am
I had teenage depression and it was hard to deal with you know. All the time I didn't want to be around anyone, i just wanted to stay locked up in my room all day, I lost most of my friends because I wouldn't call them. It was hard to deal with, but I got over it. I try my hardest to help teens who are going through this stage.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 28th, 2008 at 11:29am
xxWolvenPrincessxx:
I had teenage depression and it was hard to deal with you know.

There's really no such thing as 'teenage depression'. You can be a teenager and have depression, but depression is the same whether you are an adult or a teenager.
xjunebugx
Killjoy
xjunebugx
July 29th, 2008 at 10:55am
As someone who suffers from pretty severe depression as a result of both awful life events and a chemical imbalance, I do think it exists for teenagers. However, there is an EXTREME difference between just being down because your hormones are awful, and having depression. I personally feel that antidepressants coupled with a psychologist and a cousellor work the best, as well as doing simple things like putting on make up, doing your hair, dancing and other endorphin releasing activities/activities that make you feel better about yourself.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
April 21st, 2009 at 10:08pm
- I think that there really is teenage depression. With moodiness/hormones/overreacting you do soon snap out of it... with depression its not that easy

I think family support is def needed, theres no chance you get out of it just by yourself, you need the support

- I think it all depends how bad it is, if its mild then talking about it to anyone would help but ifs it really bad then you do need the help of psychotherapist and medicine... But their not a quick fix, it does take time... and in extreme cases the only option is a mental hospital, but that doesnt mean someone is crazy or going mad

Also you have to be careful with being depressed as a teen as its so easy for it not to go untold and to get worse and worse, which isnt a good start to adult life