Don't have an account? Create one!

Teenage Depression

AuthorMessage
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
April 23rd, 2009 at 02:31pm
1. Do you think there's really teenage depression, or are they just moody/hormonal/overreacting?

I think teenage depression really does exist. I get depressed/suicidal all the time even though I haven't been diagnosed with anything because all the doctors don't know anything about me feeling this way, but I think teenagers really do get depression. My sister had it, she was actually diagnosed. So yeah, it exists.

2. If a teen is depressed, is family support needed or can the teen get better by themselves/with the help of one close family member or friend(s)?

I think family support is needed, but it really depends on the child. I don't think the family should be *too much* involved in helping them, but enough to help and comfort them while they get better.

3. Can depression be treated without the help of a psychotherapist/medicine?

Sometimes I think it can, but again it depends on the person and how severe it is.
BOINGage-MCRmy
Banned
BOINGage-MCRmy
April 24th, 2009 at 06:26am
my point of veiw is that i think that teenagers get depressed more than most people do.
i went through a stage where i was depressed constantly for a long time.
but im stubborn so i wouldnt let my friends help me.
i acted liek i was fine round my parents 'cause i belived i coudl get better by myself.

eventually. i did.

but i think i would have got better quicker if i let my friends help.

so a hint to those who do get depressed alot or quite often.
tell your friends. they are more likely to understand than your parents are.
but i spose it depends what yourt parents are like.
for most people, friends will understand better than parents will.
i know iof i told my mother what i felt half the time shed either turn around and sya
stop being such an emo
or stop being such a teenager...

this is what my mothers like.
and i cant have a serious convosation with my father so i turn my friends.

whats good is that they all know what it feels liek to be depressed 'cause theyv all had their 'Emo' moments.
SicTransitGloria
Bleeding on the Floor
SicTransitGloria
April 24th, 2009 at 12:07pm
I think it's a huge issue in this day and age because teens are no longer innocents - we're being forced into worrying about our futures, making huge life decisions, dabbling with drugs and alcohol, watching far too much TV, being neglected by career-driven parents or parents who really have no idea what to do with their growing children, and we're pretty much handed everything on a platter.
Then, when something goes wrong, we just don't have the coping skills that others have, or that our parents/grandparents generation had, because they had to work hard, make their own fun, and stand on their own two feet - they learned to do it themselves, rather than rely on everyone else, and then blame everyone else when stuff doesn't work out.
That's where the huge rise in depression is coming from - being spoiled, or thinking that everyone else has got something we don't, and that we deserve it without working for it, and then we get all upset.

I couldn't have said it better.
Society is falling to pieces. End of. Nobody knows what to do with themselves or their kids anymore. Everything is just too accessible for anyone and everyone - or should I say, all the WRONG things are accessible. Sure, you can get weed any time you like, no problem - but you're not allowed to stay out in the park all day long, or at night, because you'll probably get stabbed. There's none of the good old freedom that used to be taken for granted. Childhood is dying.
THAT is probably the reason why every one in three kids claims to have depression - which IS different from feeling a bit depressed or down.
There's none of the nurture available that used to be so plentiful and is vital to creating a well rounded, happy person.

That's it.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 24th, 2009 at 12:14pm
BOINGage-MCRmy:
my point of veiw is that i think that teenagers get depressed more than most people do.
i went through a stage where i was depressed constantly for a long time.
but im stubborn so i wouldnt let my friends help me.
i acted liek i was fine round my parents 'cause i belived i coudl get better by myself.

eventually. i did.

but i think i would have got better quicker if i let my friends help.

so a hint to those who do get depressed alot or quite often.
tell your friends. they are more likely to understand than your parents are.
but i spose it depends what yourt parents are like.
But is it actually depression? There's a difference between feeling depressed and actually being depressed. Everyone feels depressed, but it doesn't mean they actually have depression.

Sorry to say, but I'm a skeptic when it comes to things like teen depression. I believe it's real - because technically anyone can get depressed - but I'm mainly skeptical because it seems like so many teens like to diagnose themselves with depression, and when people start self diagnosing I can't help but be skeptical.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
April 24th, 2009 at 06:28pm
^ I think a lot of teenagers have the symptoms that would entail a depression diagnosis, more than the general population, because of the hormonal changes and everything else that has been said in this thread. That being said, it's very possible that it is those hormones that cause depression to occur temporarily, and by the time a teenager becomes an adult, they are no longer suffering from depression.
Emerald Muerte
Bleeding on the Floor
Emerald Muerte
April 25th, 2009 at 04:55am
Mindfuck:
But is it actually depression? There's a difference between feeling depressed and actually being depressed.

Could you explain that difference please? Do we need a label or something to prove it? (I'm sorry if that comes off as an attack, it's not intentional I'd just like you to elaborate so I can understand.. Smile )

I think teenage depression is the result of people being rejected personally and socially as they try to find a place where they belong. It's hard and I think it's the people who are a little more conscious to immaterial things, who acknowledge the lack of justice, love, respect or peace in this world that get hit the hardest. Generally I think a lot of teenagers like to avoid things out of convenience, it's those who confront it, who put themselves in the firing line, who are the ones that can be shot down and it's devastating every single time.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 25th, 2009 at 11:12am
Emerald Muerte:

Could you explain that difference please? Do we need a label or something to prove it? (I'm sorry if that comes off as an attack, it's not intentional I'd just like you to elaborate so I can understand.. Smile )
Feeling depressed is a deep sadness, but it's a general sadness - it's not something you need to medicate for, and it's not the same as having depression.
Depression is a mental illness. Feeling generally sad or depressed is not. There is a difference.

And just because you feel sad or depressed it doesn't mean you actually have depression. Depression is where you are very 'down' for long periods of time, often for no reason at all. It's something you can get diagnosed with.

Emerald Muerte
Bleeding on the Floor
Emerald Muerte
April 25th, 2009 at 07:12pm
Mindfuck:
Feeling depressed is a deep sadness, but it's a general sadness - it's not something you need to medicate for, and it's not the same as having depression.
Depression is a mental illness. Feeling generally sad or depressed is not. There is a difference.

And just because you feel sad or depressed it doesn't mean you actually have depression. Depression is where you are very 'down' for long periods of time, often for no reason at all. It's something you can get diagnosed with.

Okay, right, thank you for that (: I get it, I guess what you mean is that feeling depressed at certain times is a universal sentiment. Not all of us remain stumped with deeply saddening feelings for long periods, I guess those who do are "depressed" and I suppose that's probably uncommon amongst teenagers because generally our feelings change more frequently than the days of the week.
Daft
Fabulous Killjoy
Daft
April 25th, 2009 at 10:07pm
Has a different view..

.................<----- Depression

... <--- something depressing.

When something depressing happens. you feel sad. When many depressing things stack up, you end up with depression. which is being sad. but worse. Sorry for a somewhat shallow reply. But just repeating what my councillor told me. Yes. I am depressed. I am 14 years old. I'm on citalopram (cyrex). It helps. But wouldnt do much without councilling.

(Yes i do fail at sentences today) <--- and grammar
Sheriff G. Way
Killjoy
Sheriff G. Way
April 25th, 2009 at 11:45pm
1. Do you think there's really teenage depression, or are they just moody/hormonal/overreacting?
Yup, I'm a thirteen year old bipolar disorder patient. No medication though.
2. If a teen is depressed, is family support needed or can the teen get better by themselves/with the help of one close family member or friend(s)?
Family support should be legally required. My parents basically acted like nothing was wrong and made me feel alienated.
I'm not so sure about the psychotherapist part, but medicine really doesn't help at all. I was on antidepressants for a few weeks, and all that did was make me act like a stoner for that time.
4. How?
Regular visits to a psychiatrist, and a hobby. Creating something physical really takes your mind off of things.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
April 26th, 2009 at 05:56pm
I think yes depression and feeling depressed is completely different

but i know some people that have depression but you wouldn't know it has they pretend they are happy so not to worry anyone
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 28th, 2009 at 07:57pm
Daft:
When many depressing things stack up, you end up with depression. which is being sad. but worse.
That is definitely the case for some people, and probably what happened to you. But some people can get depression even if everything in your life is 'on track'. Sometimes depression can strike out of the blue. I've seen family members fall to depression even though nothing bad is happening to them.

I think you can definitely get depressed if bad thing after bad thing occurs, but it's not like that with everyone.
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
May 2nd, 2009 at 03:17pm
^ Agreed.
I actually got depression [the kind dignosed by an actual doctor] before my life took a 'turn for the worse'; people now just assume that either a.) I'm self-diagnosing myself with it or b.) it was caused when things in my life started going wrong. I was a perfectly happy 13 year old and would have never-ending periods of sadness that I couldn't explain, that weren't triggered by anything whatsoever.
Another thing that bothers me is how, nowadays, people will say theyve got depression because it's 'cool'. I take this almost as a personal attack, because, having struggled with it for a little over four years, know that it is NOT 'cool', It's terrible. The same with things like self mutilation and suicide. People will either do it because it looks/seems 'cool' or pretend online that they've done it, and it infuriates me.

[Sorry if I'm straying from the subject here.]
SingerOfSorrows
Killjoy
SingerOfSorrows
May 24th, 2009 at 09:03pm
i agree that some of teen "depression" is angst and emotional imbalance. however, now more than ever, depression is actually plaguing youth, because of the way society has become. my parents never thought i was depressed, they believed i was just going through a "phase" and that i was making my own life miserable. but once they saw the self-harm, they realized it was more serious than they'd initially believed and i started seeing a therapist. i have social anxiety (a type of anxiety that involves constant worrying about how you are perceived by others) and generalized anxiety, and diagnosed depression. so yes, teen depression does in fact exist.
Harlequinn
Salute You in Your Grave
Harlequinn
May 27th, 2009 at 11:18pm
i think that teenagers can get depressed just as easily as adults, but not necessarily more easily. I think a lot of teens who claim to be depressed are just being angsty and overdramatic, no offense intened. However, teens can definately get depressed. I was depressed, but thats because i was molested by my then-best friend, not because my boyfriend broke up with me or something common like that. I think more teens call themselves depressed, compared to adults, but the percentage is probably about the same.

Ive never seen anyone get over a real depression without the support of either family or friends. I think family makes it easier to come out of a depression though simply because your around them more and they know you best, whether you like it or not.

4. How?

^^if you have to support of family or very close friends you can come out of a depression, just as long as you can talk about it honestly with someone. Some people need to talk to a therapist though in order to be totally honest, so it just depends on the person
xxtoryxx
Killjoy
xxtoryxx
June 3rd, 2009 at 07:09pm
teenage depression is real considering both my teenage brothers had to be treated for it. they went on all sorts of meds and they always went to therapists and people like that. I have no clue if depression can be cured without going to doctors or being on meds but i bet you some wear that has been the case. also my whole family was supportive and they both eventually got better.
Heart Attack.
Salute You in Your Grave
Heart Attack.
June 5th, 2009 at 11:29pm
Lyle's Golden Syrup.:

I couldn't have said it better.
Society is falling to pieces. End of. Nobody knows what to do with themselves or their kids anymore. Everything is just too accessible for anyone and everyone - or should I say, all the WRONG things are accessible. Sure, you can get weed any time you like, no problem - but you're not allowed to stay out in the park all day long, or at night, because you'll probably get stabbed. There's none of the good old freedom that used to be taken for granted. Childhood is dying.
THAT is probably the reason why every one in three kids claims to have depression - which IS different from feeling a bit depressed or down.
There's none of the nurture available that used to be so plentiful and is vital to creating a well rounded, happy person.

That's it.

I agree. With the way society is, all you hear about is bad news, and teenagers are always being pressured about their future, and competition for college and careers is so cutthroat these days that it is easy to crack under the pressure.

And, bringing up your point about how childhood is dying and it is unsafe to go outside for many kids, I think has an interesting correlation with depression. Some psychologists that say being outdoors, especially in the sunshine, actually boosts a "feel-good" hormone in your body, and if you don't get enough, then it could cause depression, or at least add to it. I think its obvious to everyone that kidds spend more time indoors than ever, with video games and tv and all that, so to me it makes since that teenage depression is becoming much more of a problem. The way our society is, it can only be expected.

So, yes I do think teenage depression is a legitimate thing, but the problem is that it goes undiagnosed many times, which is a shame because depression can be so debilitating and destructive to a person, especially when they should be enjoying themselves, before they have to take on adult responsibilities.

As for the kids who have "self-proclaimed" depression, I personally find it annoying, because, having been diagnosed with it myself, it makes people who really do have problems seem whiny and annoying. Or at least that's how I feel, if I need to talk about a problem, like people don't actually believe it or something. I mean I'm sure some of those kids might actually have it, but they need to go get help, instead of just saying how depressed they are. Which again another big problem with teenage depression, they are often afraid to get help, and I suppose that's why it goes undiagnosed so often.
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
June 7th, 2009 at 11:07pm
In my opinion, I dont think it is actually depression unless it is diagnosed by a doctor.
Most of the time I believe it is teenage angst.

For example, one of my ex friends, He constantly says he's depressed to get girls to feel bad for him.
Girls fall for it.
He sets his trap.
He uses the girls, and then when they break it off with him, they'll say they are sorry. Then he says "Yeah. Say sorry to the cuts on my arms."

Now, you are gonna say, "How do you know he's not serious."
You do not know him in real life. I do. And he pulls this all the time. He isnt really depressed. I have told him it was angst. He doesnt listen.

What I tell people who say they are clincally depressed - Dont say it if you havent been diagnosed.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
June 8th, 2009 at 12:00am
jared leto.:

People like that fall into the category of cutting to get attention. I think it's despicable. It's like the boy who cried wolf. All those fakers make it harder for kids who actually have depression.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 8th, 2009 at 04:19pm
jared leto.:
In my opinion, I dont think it is actually depression unless it is diagnosed by a doctor.
Most of the time I believe it is teenage angst.

For example, one of my ex friends, He constantly says he's depressed to get girls to feel bad for him.
Girls fall for it.
He sets his trap.
He uses the girls, and then when they break it off with him, they'll say they are sorry. Then he says "Yeah. Say sorry to the cuts on my arms."

Now, you are gonna say, "How do you know he's not serious."
You do not know him in real life. I do. And he pulls this all the time. He isnt really depressed. I have told him it was angst. He doesnt listen.

What I tell people who say they are clincally depressed - Dont say it if you havent been diagnosed.

But there are people who are in between. Maybe they haven't been clinically diagnosed, but that doesn't mean the sadness or anything else they're feeling isn't real either.