July 24th, 2008 at 12:40pm
I feel horrible because I haven't even read it yet ><
G Way
Jazz Hands
G Way
July 24th, 2008 at 09:16pm
Disenfuckingchanted.:
me either! I don't know where to buy it besides the internet.
sweetpea3674
Motor Baby
sweetpea3674
July 24th, 2008 at 11:36pm
That would be great. Even if it didn't turn out to be that good of a movie, I would still see it the day it came out
joy division.
Shotgun Sinner
joy division.
July 25th, 2008 at 06:45am
Disenchanted Parade:
Disenfuckingchanted.:
me either! I don't know where to buy it besides the internet.

It's available at Forbidden Planet comic stores.
Scroll to 'Shops and websites' for locations.
But I bought mine from Amazon.co.uk.
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
July 25th, 2008 at 02:39pm
Sorry if this is a repost-

CBR: Any truth to the rumors about an "Umbrella Academy" feature film?

Way: Yes. Mike [Richardson] had just been at a premiere, and he ended up talking about it himself. I ended up being very tight lipped about it, because, you know, until people are really attached to a film, like director, cast, things like that, it's best not to really talk a lot about it yet until those things are in place, that way you don't seem crazy. The really exciting thing is, Dark Horse has signed this deal with Universal, I believe it's a three picture deal, I can't remember exactly the specifics of it. And one of the first films they wanted to investigate and pursue is a film of the "Umbrella Academy." So it's really exciting. It's really only had one series out, I would definitely like to have three or four more of these out before it comes to theaters. And when they're projecting it might come out, I think it's at least the 4th or 5th series by then. Even I'm slightly skeptical, because it's had one series. But I get it to some extent because that one series is extremely standalone, and it's six issues, in a way, it's almost the perfect movie length. It wasn't written that way on purpose. I wanted it to feel cinematic, the pacing of it, have a beginning, introduction, rising action, things getting worse, and then some kind of resolve. So that was already worked in there. So the studio or anybody can literally pick up that trade and say, "This is the film." They can cut little bits out, or add things, but this is it.

From http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17361
tarasaurus rex!
Thinking Happy Thoughts
tarasaurus rex!
July 25th, 2008 at 08:33pm
If anyone has the channel G4, they're going to be talking about the Umbrella Academy next at Comic-Con! Some 'big Dark Horse' news, this could be official news if it's going to be a movie!

Edit: Alright, well never mind about the movie, haha. But they did show Gerard and he was just talking about how art was his major and all that, and about series 2 coming out in November.

By the way, he looks extra adorable with his haircut. Very Happy
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
July 25th, 2008 at 09:12pm
Gerard is at Comic-Con because the Eisners are tonight and TUA was nominated.

The TUA trade paperback is available via amazon.com, Forbidden Planet, Things From Another World, or any brick-and-mortar comic book shop anywhere. The special collector's edition is slated for a September release.
Solitary Style.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Solitary Style.
July 26th, 2008 at 01:05am
Wow, thanks for posting that, deep blue; need you. I am glad if Gerard is glad; hopefully if they do decide to make the film, they'll use him as a creative consultant or something...
x0darkshadow0x93
Killjoy
x0darkshadow0x93
August 20th, 2008 at 02:06pm
omg i would love to see it ! it would be awesome.
frankie.is.mine
Killjoy
frankie.is.mine
August 20th, 2008 at 03:49pm
i would completely flip out if a TUA movie comes out!!!!
XDDDDDD
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
August 22nd, 2008 at 01:44am
i agree with what some of u guys said -- that it would probably be better animated. UNless. Unless u had a kick-ass director that would give TUA the justice it deserves in live action. Someone who can do action and make it artistic / with a distinct style. I mean, look at the brilliantly art directed Sin City. Or del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth. Preferably someone whose portfolio does NoT consist of Hollywood everything-goes-kaboom-at-the-end movies.

Yknow what, I would be so goddamned enraged for Gerard if they ever bought the rights only to fuck him over after that. I would be like jumping mad. Steaming from the ears. I feel that protective over anything lovingly created by the man I idolise.

but anyway from the latest quotes kindly provided by room 101, everything sounds good so far. so yeah. CAN'T WAIT. i feel like jumping around my office screaming like a maniac, but i guess i'll just post my enthusiasm right here: "AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"
androidgirl
Motor Baby
androidgirl
August 23rd, 2008 at 10:14am
woah...
well i'd love to see that movie Razz
sparklinggrey
Jazz Hands
sparklinggrey
September 6th, 2008 at 05:01pm
Okay - so I got a question a little off topic... but here goes...

how does this stuff works? I mean, Gerard is credited as the WRITER... but how does that work? Does he write down what happens in every frame, like in paragraph-style and then the animator draws? Or does Gerard himself draw rough sketches and then the amazing Gabriel Ba just adds to that or something?

EDIT: Oh just found this link where Gabriel actually shows the different steps he uses with the umbrella a. but I still wanne know what exactly Gerard does and how

here's the link to those interested
http://fabioandgabriel.blogspot.com/2007/05/step-by-step-art-of-umbrella-academy.html
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
September 6th, 2008 at 05:05pm
Typically an artist is handed a script and tries to work the panels around the script, but the writer can give input, like if they saw something in the story was important enough to warrant a splash page or split-panel, they would note that in the script. It's like a movie script, only told in single shots rather than an ongoing film.
sparklinggrey
Jazz Hands
sparklinggrey
September 6th, 2008 at 05:06pm
^ Thanx!

So basicly yeah it's page by page a description of what the writer wants to see on that page? Wish I could find a good example somewhere. Thanx anyways! That's pretty damn interesting!
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
September 7th, 2008 at 12:08pm
If you have a chance to pick up Morrison/McKean's "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth" special edition (the hardcover one) it has the full script included. Plus it's a great story and the art is like something from a beautiful nightmare. It's one of my favorites.

Getting back to the topic -- if/when they do decide to do a TUA movie, I would like to see it go to a director like Guillermo Del Toro, Robert Rodriguez, or Zack Snyder; they've both done exceptional comic films that remain true to the books. There have been plenty of horrible comic film adaptations, but there is definitely a movement in Hollywood to make them closer to the source material rather than hand it to a bunch of writers to butcher into what *they* want it to be.
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
September 7th, 2008 at 04:33pm
Here you can see Gerard's script and the process after for six pages of TUA: AS #1.
sparklinggrey
Jazz Hands
sparklinggrey
September 8th, 2008 at 09:22am
^ aaaah that's so awesome! thanx!
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
September 15th, 2008 at 03:53am
The Rumor:
Here you can see Gerard's script and the process after for six pages of TUA: AS #1.

hug for the link
sparklinggrey
Jazz Hands
sparklinggrey
September 16th, 2008 at 02:09pm
So I bought the whole damn thing. And it's awesome! A movie would be soooo cool!