Don't have an account? Create one!

It's Official-MCR Starting New Record...

AuthorMessage
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
March 6th, 2009 at 06:52am
Deb:
I wonder if the coupla songs they've fleshed out are going to wind up being singles?

They would have to pick a few songs to be singles. That's how they get radio play. One or sometimes two songs are chosen and start getting played a little bit before the album comes out to generate excitement about the band and introduce more people to it. Then another is chosen shortly after the album is released, so that people who may not have liked the first single might like the second, so they get a boost in sales shortly after the album release.

Also, how do you figure that Sunsets isn't punk? I'm curious about this. Punk doesn't have to be all screaming lyrics, smashing guitars, and pounding drum beats. As with any musical style, there are different interpretations within the genre itself, and every genre has a slow, stirring, almost-ballad type allowance within it. The lyrics certainly fit, and I feel the ending is closer to the idea of punk than the opening, but the song itself can still fit within the genre.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
March 6th, 2009 at 11:58am
tabitha:
They would have to pick a few songs to be singles. That's how they get radio play. One or sometimes two songs are chosen and start getting played a little bit before the album comes out to generate excitement about the band and introduce more people to it. Then another is chosen shortly after the album is released, so that people who may not have liked the first single might like the second, so they get a boost in sales shortly after the album release.
Yes, I know all this - also, MCR doesn't pick their singles, Warner does.

tabitha:
Also, how do you figure that Sunsets isn't punk? I'm curious about this. Punk doesn't have to be all screaming lyrics, smashing guitars, and pounding drum beats. As with any musical style, there are different interpretations within the genre itself, and every genre has a slow, stirring, almost-ballad type allowance within it. The lyrics certainly fit, and I feel the ending is closer to the idea of punk than the opening, but the song itself can still fit within the genre.
Punk artists do put out softer tunes, yes (aka The Bouncing Souls) but would bet the farm that the band doesn't consider the song punk either. I don't think the band considers ITSELF punk (then again, neither do the Souls, although the genre accepts them as such.) I personally don't think MCR is punk - they refrain from being political (with the exception of a short blurb in KAYF and of course the Dylan cover.)

This is the true definition of punk, according to Last.fm:

"Punk rock is a rock music genre that developed between 1974 and 1976 in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Australia. Rooted in garage rock and other forms of what is now known as protopunk music, punk rock bands eschewed the perceived excesses of mainstream 1970s rock. They created fast, hard-edged music, typically with short songs, stripped-down instrumentation, and often political, anti-establishment lyrics. Punk embraces a DIY (do it yourself) ethic, with many bands self-producing their recordings and distributing them through informal channels."

That being said, MCR is most certainly punk-influenced and I personally am stoked for the stripped-down sound they're going for on this new one (topic segue.) In all likelihood, any teasers we heard will sound very different once they've been fleshed out into actual songs.
Braaap
Killjoy
Braaap
March 7th, 2009 at 02:11pm
Excited or what. Very Happy
Can't wait for it.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
March 9th, 2009 at 12:57pm
Deb:
Yes, I know all this - also, MCR doesn't pick their singles, Warner does.

I apologize, I misread your original question, you were asking if "Stay" or "The World Is Ugly" (or whatever their final titles would be) were going to be singles and I read it as asking if *any* of the songs would be singles. I aplologize for the misunderstanding. I should have read it more carefully, because even as I was writing what I did I wondered why you would have asked that question.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
March 9th, 2009 at 01:41pm
tabitha:
I apologize, I misread your original question, you were asking if "Stay" or "The World Is Ugly" (or whatever their final titles would be) were going to be singles and I read it as asking if *any* of the songs would be singles. I aplologize for the misunderstanding. I should have read it more carefully, because even as I was writing what I did I wondered why you would have asked that question.
That's alright, Tabs, I was wondering why you were pointing that out too LOL

I think it's really funny that the band has to clarify that they're "not hiding behind costumes and makeup anymore" for #4; as if that's all TBP amounted to! After Damie's comment, I found myself scrutinizing the "wall of sound" feel that "Desolation" utilizes and agreeing that that would be a lovely direction to travel in.
TheDangerousCupcake
Killjoy
TheDangerousCupcake
March 9th, 2009 at 07:01pm
It is rather weird that they keep clarifying that this is not going to be the Black Parade, no more makeup, etc. I know they're not, but sometimes it feels like they don't like to be associated with TBP at all.
MiDesfileNegro
Thinking Happy Thoughts
MiDesfileNegro
March 9th, 2009 at 07:10pm
When they played Stay on TBPID!, Gerard said they had a final name for it - which kind of implies that it's a song they'll be using in the future, surely? Very Happy
Frnk iero.
Awake and Unafraid
Frnk iero.
March 9th, 2009 at 07:11pm
MiDesfileNegro:
When they played Stay on TBPID!, Gerard said they had a final name for it - which kind of implies that it's a song they'll be using in the future, surely? Very Happy

Everyone GEUSSES, no one but the guys and warner know for sure.
AdamLambert
Really Not Okay
AdamLambert
March 10th, 2009 at 12:07am
Michael Way.:
MiDesfileNegro:

Everyone GEUSSES, no one but the guys and warner know for sure.

Even they might not even know for sure yet
jules
Bleeding on the Floor
jules
March 10th, 2009 at 10:10am
I believe punk to be more of a feeling of an idea or a way of living. I don't believe it can accurately be defined based on the speed or message of the song. The scene wasn't always the cool subversive think tank that some have branded. Some twisted the idea into an excuse to fail mixed with undercurrents of racism, sexism and violence. And many exploited the idea to make a quick buck (thank you Malcom). Unfortunately, what was once a statement has become a commodity. Punk has gone the way of emo, it became marketed and defined and discounted at Hot Topic. There is nothing more loathsome than seeing some pre-teen with an anarchy shirt purchased from HT.

As kids we would go downtown every chance we got to see everyone coming through - TSOL, lot's of underground local bands, Black Flag, Bad Brains, etc. The true core didn't care about your clothes or how you looked. In fact, alot of those kids would raise an eyebrow at the prepackaged punk uniform. But it was about being who you wanted to be, so...

Anyway, what do I know....

I hope the new MCR is harder, edgier, and very loud. I hope they continue with the smaller shows, playing their hearts out and not worrying about whether you get the concept. I think they realized that actual concept of MCR was lost in the mire of production. I don't want to see dancers or elaborate backdrops -they don't need it - they have the talent to carry themselves. I want to see the band I love giving a great show.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
March 10th, 2009 at 10:36am
jules:
I believe punk to be more of a feeling of an idea or a way of living. I don't believe it can accurately be defined based on the speed or message of the song. The scene wasn't always the cool subversive think tank that some have branded. Some twisted the idea into an excuse to fail mixed with undercurrents of racism, sexism and violence. And many exploited the idea to make a quick buck (thank you Malcom). Unfortunately, what was once a statement has become a commodity. Punk has gone the way of emo, it became marketed and defined and discounted at Hot Topic. There is nothing more loathsome than seeing some pre-teen with an anarchy shirt purchased from HT. The true core didn't care about your clothes or how you looked. In fact, alot of those kids would raise an eyebrow at the prepackaged punk uniform. But it was about being who you wanted to be, so...Anyway, what do I know....
Actually, Jules, that was pretty accurate!

MiDesfileNegro:
When they played Stay on TBPID!, Gerard said they had a final name for it.
I thought G had been saying that he was reluctant to tell anyone the working title because it was bound to change?
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
March 10th, 2009 at 11:34am
This is what he said:

'I'm not gonna tell you the title 'cause then like, a year later we'll retitle it; you guys'll bitch about it, so...'
General protests from the crowd.
'You know it's true! You know it's true.
'Actually, the title it has right now is the final title, but I'm not telling you what it is.'
More protests.
'And it's totally awesome.'
look alive sunshine.
Shotgun Sinner
look alive sunshine.
March 10th, 2009 at 02:47pm
Get "¡VENGANZA!" - 9 new live videos with USB and a vest
posted by Jeff Watson on Mar 09, 2009 11:22am

On April 14th, My Chemical Romance will release "¡VENGANZA!" - a collection of nine never-before-seen live videos, straight from the encore set of the Mexico City show from October of 2007. They all come stored on a limited edition bullet-shaped USB drive, along with with exclusive photos of the band from show. And it's only available for pre-order right now at the MCR online store. You’ll get a brand new, custom-designed !Venganza! vest, and as a bonus, every pre-order includes an instant MP3 download of the Live tracks "Give 'Em Hell, Kid" and "Helena." US residents, you will get your "!VENGANZA!" vest/USB bundle on or around April 10, 2009. Pre-order here.

Plus, Buzznet is also holding a contest where they're giving one of these things away. All you gotta do is submit an original image you designed that says ¡VENGANZA! Check it out here.

i don't think anyone has posted anything about this...and i didn't think it would really need it's own thread...
so, just a heads up.
prettty cool i'd say.
i already know i probably won't be able to pre-order it, but plan on buying it in stores, which is too bad since we'd be getting them around gerard's b-day. how appropriate.
the competition sounds fun, so i'm gonna try something for that....
'venganza vest.' heh. sounds catchy!!! i keep saying it over in my head.

and read the disclaimer on the website store...hahaha
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
March 10th, 2009 at 04:21pm
No offense but that kind of seems like spam.
I mean, it's got nothing to do with the new album. It's not even The Black Parade. "/
look alive sunshine.
Shotgun Sinner
look alive sunshine.
March 10th, 2009 at 04:32pm
^
well, it's kinda like a new dvd/cd type thing...only on a usb drive, not a cd
and it's off of tbpid! mexico show so...didn't know where else to stick it.
=/
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
March 10th, 2009 at 04:33pm
Yeah, I don't know. You might be right, I was just speculating.
look alive sunshine.
Shotgun Sinner
look alive sunshine.
March 10th, 2009 at 04:40pm
i understand =]
//SPAM [i'll shut up now]
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
March 10th, 2009 at 10:48pm
phantoms forever.:
i understand =]
//SPAM [i'll shut up now]
If it's for a thread about a new album, why post a merch post, just saying.

Make a thread for it. If a mod locks it they lock it, I don't mind it I guess... if they lock it then it's their decision to, but what other thread can you put it in. Normally, if you can't stick it in a thread, a new thread can be made for it.

& the disclaimer wasn't there for lol's, they have to or else some idiot would sue them for wrongful use because there is that one person out there who would use it as a bullet proof vest when it's not.
AdamLambert
Really Not Okay
AdamLambert
March 10th, 2009 at 11:36pm
:]

Im honestly to excited for words about the abum. .

How long do you guys think it takes to write a album?
Green Faerie
Salute You in Your Grave
Green Faerie
March 11th, 2009 at 09:49am
The Rumor:
This is what he said:

'I'm not gonna tell you the title 'cause then like, a year later we'll retitle it; you guys'll bitch about it, so...'
General protests from the crowd.
'You know it's true! You know it's true.
'Actually, the title it has right now is the final title, but I'm not telling you what it is.'
More protests.
'And it's totally awesome.'

Awesome... Mr. Green I love those performances. I for one really hope that the couple of songs they tried at concerts do end up on the record... Even if it's some kind of adjustment, like Disenchanted became.