Don't have an account? Create one!

Bandit Lee Way born May 27, 2009

AuthorMessage
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 31st, 2009 at 08:16am
jules:

While I see your point about using it in the song title, but I also stand by my comment that the overuse by fans and in fanfic made it cliche. "Ruin" was probably the wrong word.

tabitha:

I agree with Jules, though. Had Gerard or Mikey either one have wanted to name a child after their grandmother, there's no way they could now. There have been so many fanfics and so many people *expecting* it that it is absolutely cliche. Then there was the fact that "Helena" was recorded years before either of them were even *thinking* about marriage or parenthood; they wanted to do something *then* to honor her, so they did the song in her memory. Now, all these years later, one of them has had a daughter, but the idea of naming her Helena would just be adding fuel to the fanfic fire.

But that's my exact point. When a band uses a name in a song title it must be prepared for fans to use/abuse that name. I know so many young girls who are called Kayleigh, simply because of the Marillion hit. I'm pretty sure Mikey and Gerard are smart enough to know that if they had ever wished to use that name, it wasn't the smartest move to use it as the title for one of their biggest hits. The name is cliche in my eyes because they used it as a song title, nothing to do with fan fiction. It would be cliche if Paul MacCartney had called his daughter "Lucy" or "Michelle" or even "Eleanor", and I don't have a clue if there is Beatles fan fiction out there.

Looking at the choice they went with I'm pretty sure the use of Helena/Elena wasnt due to fan fics runining it, but more to do with it not being their style of name.

I guess my point is, I feel that fans are blamed by people so often for all sorts of things. Sometimes it's easy to forget that the majority of fans of MCR are teenagers, whether us oldies like it or not LOL, and therefore we can't expect them to all be thinking of consequences or how their behaviour might affect others.
CupcakeSuicide
Thinking Happy Thoughts
CupcakeSuicide
May 31st, 2009 at 08:50am
I was just thinking. What if at like 8 years old she decides to go online. She just happens to search her dad up and sees pictures of her dad making out with Frankie? I can't help but wonder what's going to happen from there.
the desperate ranks.
Always Born a Crime
the desperate ranks.
May 31st, 2009 at 10:15am
^ I would assume that Gerard and Lindsey are going to raise her in a very accepting, honest environment, and that they wouldn't really hide anything like that from her... maybe at the age of eight, that's a little too much... but eventually, they would explain, I think.

But it's not like Gerard cheated on Lindsey with Frank. It was just... something they did, I suppose. Regardless, it's not our place to analyze the "what ifs". They will decide whatever they think is best for Bandit, at the time they think is best, and that's the way it should be.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 31st, 2009 at 11:03am
x.fade.to.black.x:
I was just thinking. What if at like 8 years old she decides to go online. She just happens to search her dad up and sees pictures of her dad making out with Frankie? I can't help but wonder what's going to happen from there.
She'll probably go "Ew, so didn't need to see that" and click away again, like anyone would if it were their parent being sexual with anyone.
Rosi
Killjoy
Rosi
May 31st, 2009 at 12:07pm
YAY!!!! GO BANDIT!Congrats congrats!
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
May 31st, 2009 at 12:12pm
x.fade.to.black.x:
It's not like he can change the past, that's what he did back then. Nothing bad is going to happen. >.< She won't hate her dad.
Mass Hysteria
Killjoy
Mass Hysteria
May 31st, 2009 at 12:42pm
gnihsams snikpmup.:
how is it selfish. they're not getting much personal gain out of naming their child.
=========
I don't care what people think of the name, but like, stop calling them selfish parents and making them seem like it's all their faults and it's bad parenting and blah blah blah.

It is selfish. They're only thinking of themselves in doing it. The kid isn't going to appreciate having a name like that until she is well past her teens and even then she may be too jaded by it.

No one is saying they're bad parents, but you can't defend them and say "oh well it's okay to say you don't like the name, just don't criticize them for it".

I guess what i'm saying is I thought Gerard knew better. I don't know much about the guy but I thought he knew how cruel kids can be and by giving his own a name like this he has also taken away her chance to truly fit in with her peers growing up; as if that wasn't going to be hard enough. Indivduality isn't something that comes from the name you're given, it comes from growth and experience and he's hindered hers already. I guess he foresaw something with "You're never gonna fit in much, kid".

I hope she manages to bypass it all and truly appreciate her name, but you can't deny there will, one day, be some resentment there.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
May 31st, 2009 at 12:53pm
You're criticizing them as people by calling them selfish. They weren't "thinking of themselves", they were naming their kid in what they thought was a unique way, which if you think about it, it suits them to a 'T'. If they're selfish for naming their kid, then so are your parents, and when you have a kid, you'll be just as equally selfish. You can't say it's not the same because that's what you just said. If you're looking at it that way, then all parents are thinking of themselves because they named you for their own personal likings. So it's not just them, you can't pinpoint 2 people on the planet when all of the parents of the world name their kids what they want.

And yes, what I said is perfectly acceptable. You can hate the name, you just don't have to be rude towards Gerard and Lyn-Z about it and make it seem like it's all their faults and "they should have known better" when it's THEIR life and their child. It's not like this is the worst name ever. Google "worst celebrity baby names" and then tell me it's Gerard and Lyn-Z who set their kid up for embarrassment.

idg why people are trying to predict the future of their kid and what it will be like for her. How do you know that she's gonna be belittled, picked on, and not fit in at all?
kid from yesterday.
Bleeding on the Floor
kid from yesterday.
May 31st, 2009 at 01:26pm
Everything Lycia said.

I mean, 's not as if they decided to have a kid just so they can name her something unique and then watch her supposedly suffer from embarassment her whole life. O.o tbh, it's crossing a line when people call them out and say they're selfish just cause they named their own kid what they want to. Doesn't make sense to me.

At the end of the day, as much as people can hate it, it's not their choice.

Personally,I think it's not as bad as what people make it out to be, i like the name. but this fandom's always been addicted to being over critical of complete strangers anyway. Just my opinion yknow.

Also, this was supposed to be a celebration of the birth, wasn't it? Smile
look alive sunshine.
Shotgun Sinner
look alive sunshine.
May 31st, 2009 at 02:23pm
[quote="Mass Hysteria"]
gnihsams snikpmup.:

I hope she manages to bypass it all and truly appreciate her name, but you can't deny there will, one day, be some resentment there.

i stand behind this one 100%
maybe they'll call her annie for short? bandit
or maybe that's what she'll come up with on her own as she gets older?
just a thought...
demolitionloversmway
Thinking Happy Thoughts
demolitionloversmway
May 31st, 2009 at 03:51pm
Very Happy
couldnt be more happier
theyre going to be two fantastic parents with a beautiful baby girl <333333333333333333333333333333333
MCR Vampire21
Killjoy
MCR Vampire21
May 31st, 2009 at 06:06pm
I'm so happy for them i'm still smiling Very Happy
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 31st, 2009 at 07:22pm
crimes in the mosh.:
this fandom's always been addicted to being over critical of complete strangers anyway
Yes, and despite the band's generosity with their time, nothing ever seems to be enough; the criticisms keep on coming. Frank has addressed this matter before, but no one listens. I read the name, went "...Bandit...?" for a couple of hours and now I'm over it. This conversation has now gone on for almost a week and expanded itself into how traumatized this little person is going to be four days into her life on the planet here. If Moon Unit, Dweezil and Ahmet are fine, her chances are just as good. She will have her own personal trials and tribulations as she grows just like everyone else on the planet. Jeez Louise!
blackparadeisdead!
Joining The Black Parade
blackparadeisdead!
May 31st, 2009 at 07:25pm
OMFG im soooooo happy for them!!!!!!!
that baby is probably fricken ADORABLE!
jules
Bleeding on the Floor
jules
May 31st, 2009 at 09:03pm
Everything Crimes in the Mosh Pit, Lycia and Deb said x infinity. I've stated my opinion and will not bore everyone with a repeat.

Today I watched my niece graduate from high school and we spent hours telling tales of her growing up. I truly hope Bandit's life will be filled with moments to build similar memories of families and friends. And I truly hope if in her travels she encounters any of this fandom, she find that the majority loved her Daddy's band and wish nothing but good for her. The same as we would any other child.
Incognito.
Bleeding on the Floor
Incognito.
June 1st, 2009 at 12:36am
People won't dare to give her shit because they'll have her dad and four uncles to deal with if they do!
I think her name is adorable and anyone picking on her will just be jealous their name isn't nearly as badass as hers!
PandaWenSi
Killjoy
PandaWenSi
June 1st, 2009 at 02:49am
sooooo happy to hear that.
anyway, bandit Lee is a cute name. Smile
i am reviewing for coming exams, so it really cheers me up. haha.
the biggest congrats and wishes for the couple!!!
Green Faerie
Salute You in Your Grave
Green Faerie
June 1st, 2009 at 09:47am
Mass Hysteria:
I guess what i'm saying is I thought Gerard knew better. I don't know much about the guy but I thought he knew how cruel kids can be and by giving his own a name like this he has also taken away her chance to truly fit in with her peers growing up; as if that wasn't going to be hard enough.

Surely a person's name doesn't help them to 'fit in'. Over the past few years children's names have become more and more adventurous. If my name prevented me from fitting in with my peers then I would severely believe that I was hanging around with the wrong people. The spelling of my name makes it completely different, and I think in my life i've only ever seen a handful of people, or less, who spell it like me. I never had any grudge against my mother because of it... I loved that it was unique. My only issue was that personalised stationary or mugs were never an option from souvenir shops. Mr. Green

I have really started to love the name Bandit, hehe. I love it when kids have unique names. And I see at least 100 kids a day usually. Smile I'm sure Bandit's name will seem as 'normal' and typical to her as other people's names seem to them!
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
June 1st, 2009 at 10:31am
Green Faerie:
Surely a person's name doesn't help them to 'fit in'.
Seriously! I was a huge outcast with the most common name in the world.
kid from yesterday.
Bleeding on the Floor
kid from yesterday.
June 1st, 2009 at 10:52am
Deb:
Seriously! I was a huge outcast with the most common name in the world.

One of my best friends' named Natalie and she was made fun of it. D: Which just goes to show.