Don't have an account? Create one!

Child Abuse

AuthorMessage
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
June 11th, 2007 at 08:00pm
I just don't see how (I mean, I see how it's possible because it'd be impossible to enforce) it's possible for any old so-and-so to have a baby.
Seriously. They don't let you drive a car until you've gone through licensing exams, a lot of places won't let you adpot a pet from a shelter unless you pay to register it, desex it and prove that you have the ability and equipment to care for it adepquately (fenced yard, leash, proper food etc). You can't walk into any old job, nowadays you have to have a freaking college degree to flip burgers... so why is it that there are no restrictions on who can have kids and who can't?
I mean, technically I know my husband and I wouldn't be permitted to breed if such laws were in place, on the grounds that we 'can't afford it' (we can afford to raise a child, just not dress it in designer booties, send it to a private academy and take it on holidays overseas for Christmas break, so in the government's eyes - as far as their adoption laws etc go - we're poverty-stricken and can't afford to feed or clothe a child), but I see far too many people having families when they are either not fit to raise children mentally, financially, or their lifestyle is just far too un-child-friendly (drug addicts etc).

I wish there was a way for children to be essentially made infertile until they grow up, get married and apply for a 'parenting licence' or some such, and then the government can say, 'You're fit to raise a child,' and they can start a family.
That way, there'd be far less child abuse, less kids in foster homes, less kids ending up on the streets, etc.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 11th, 2007 at 08:29pm
^ because all the others you don't really have control over. with having a child you just have to get knocked up, and get fertillized so how could the goverment moderate sex? it could be like china but well thats not the same
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
June 11th, 2007 at 10:04pm
savedbymcr_2004:
^ because all the others you don't really have control over. with having a child you just have to get knocked up, and get fertillized so how could the goverment moderate sex? it could be like china but well thats not the same

That's what I'm saying - of course, in all reality this scenario is completely impossible, but if people have to go through licensing and applications and processes to do things like vote, drive a car, buy a house, etc, then why should having a child be any different? Yes, it's impossible to police, that's why I know full well it would never work.
I'm not saying the government should be able to regulate who has sex and when, I'm saying that (in this fantastical scenario, of course I know it's impossible in reality, a breach of civil liberties etc) children should be made incapable of breeding, say, at birth, for instance fitted with some device that renders them infertile; and then when they grow up, have a decent-paying job, are mentally and financially capable of starting a family and in a stable relationship, they can apply to start a family. If their application is approved, they simply go to the hospital and have said device removed, and they can then start a family, once they've proved they're in a position to be raising children.
Unlike the current situation, where a 13-year-old can have a baby. Where a heroin addict can have a baby. Where a convicted paedophile can marry and have children. Where a paranoid schizophrenic, who has a history of hospitalisation and sometimes refuses to take their medication, can have five children and then systematically murder them all because of the 'voices in her head'.
papershoe
Fabulous Killjoy
papershoe
June 12th, 2007 at 09:29pm
child abuse is abseloutley horrible and uncalled for, no acceptions.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
June 12th, 2007 at 11:10pm
^ I doubt you'll find anybody who disagrees with you on that point, but the question then becomes - what do you define as 'child abuse'? Is spanking a child for misbehaving abuse? Is allowing your child to climb a tree, fall out and break an ankle 'abuse' because you could have prevented them being injured?
'Abuse' is such a vague term. There's physical, mental, emotional, sexual abuse - probably more, but those are the common (or more talked-about) ones.
I mean, for instance, I feel that smacking a child on the bottom or perhaps across the hand (ie 'slap on the wrist') for misbehaving is discipline, not child abuse. Another person may feel that a spank across the bum is 'detrimental to a child's wellbeing', and therefore counts as abuse. Yet another person may see flogging a child with a leather belt or jug cord as 'discipline'.
*shrugs*
Essentially, the onus is on the individual to define what counts as abuse - I would see somebody who beats their child as a monster, but I know there are many, many people out there who think of me as a monster because I believe in smacking children.

So, what do you think counts as abuse? How far would you go to discipline your children? Do you think children raised in households where one or both parents are frequent users/addicted to drugs or alcohol are abused, or do you think it depends on the individual circumstance (ie, I would never allow a child of mine to be raised in a home where my husband or I was an alcoholic or drug user, but I do have friends with kids who use marijuana on a regular basis, and while I privately disapprove, their child never goes without or is mistreated/neglected because of their parents' habits)? Do you think that parents who have obese children are abusive/neglectful because they are allowing their children's health to suffer because of their ignorance/laziness?
papershoe
Fabulous Killjoy
papershoe
June 12th, 2007 at 11:40pm
well i would refrain from smacking my child, however i do not considor that abuse. abuse to me is when it is seriousley affects the child physically and or emotionally. i also feel there are different degrees to childhood abuse. for example you said something about childhood obesity. yes to some degree i would considor that as abuse because the child had to suffer just because the parents were to lazy/ignorant to tell the child otherwise. though that is not fair to the child, uncalled for and uneccesary, that was not the child abuse i was talking about before. when i said child abuse is uncalled for and uneccesary i meant the really serious situtions such as brutally beating the child, or talking to the child negatively and effecting it emotionally. like always bringing down the child saying your not good enough, why cant you do this or be like that ect. however not being responsible for your child like using drugs around your kids would also be abuse in my opinion, but to another degree, like the child hood obesity. in these 2 situations the child was not harmed directly, however the child still suffered from the parents decisions to not be responsible with their children. though then again in these 2 situations it may not have been done purposely, or the parent may not have known better. however is this supposed to be an exception? that is my question
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 25th, 2007 at 04:42pm
who really supports child abuse? i would never want to see a child get a huge bruse on their arm from a puch that a parent swung, but i think it's wrong not to discipline your child, then they could just go insane, but i'd only spank them or put them on time out
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
June 27th, 2007 at 09:56pm
My mom does discipline me, and it pisses me off that she hits me to 'discipline' me. But I don't think it's child abuse. My idea of child abuse would be hitting the child for no reason, or hitting the child for everything they do.

One of my aunts used to slap her daughter everytime her daughter refused to eat something. The poor little girl would be crying the whole time. I found that child abuse. And so did the rest of the family, together we made her stop slapping the little girl for that reason.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 8th, 2009 at 01:53am
okay well i was hit by my mum...

but only because we i had a LOT of migrains, so had alot of time of school, and so the government got involved and was telling us they can take us to court as they thought i was bunking which WASN'T the case!

Whenever i got a migrain in the morning, my mum would get so angry and would shout because she was scared and felt pressured by the school... then well yeah she would hit me.

But my mum said it was discipline... im still not sure. i hadn't done anything wrong, or what i could control...

i still dont understand if it was wrong or not... she's still my mum. We get on now, when i left school and started being homeschooled, we just pretended it didn't happen

i know it wasn't something really serious but still scared the hell out of me. i dont get why she did it.

But another time is when i do something wrong and my dad get really angry and will just hit me... i remember there was a time i was late from being out with a friend, it was 12am... my dad found me, and hit me in the street with my friend watching... i had never seen him so angry! i think it was discipline... but it didnt help anything, and dont think its a good thing to do.

I would never do that to my child, it can be taken as completely something different...
BRETTage-MCR4eva
Banned
BRETTage-MCR4eva
May 8th, 2009 at 05:27am
ITS JUST FEKKING WRONG I CANT BELIEVE THAT SOME PEOPLE ACTUALLY GO AROUND ABUSING CHILDREN...I HATE IT...I THINK ANYONE THAT DOES IT SHOULD BE ABUSED THEMSELVES...ITS JUST WRONG...
BOINGage-MCRmy
Banned
BOINGage-MCRmy
May 8th, 2009 at 05:36am
IM GOING TO PLOT AND KILL THE FEKKERS THAT HIT THE PEOPLE...!!
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
HA!
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 8th, 2009 at 06:45am
You pair need to read the rules for this forum.
If you continue with the daft comments to each other (which is spam) and the language then you will be facing a ban.
If you want to talk to each other join a WAYT thread but leave the discussion forum for serious discussion.

Thanks.
Debbie
Killjoy
Debbie
May 8th, 2009 at 07:06am
well excuse you, they were onli commenting on how wrong it is to abuse children. n they r not draft replies they r onli putin their point around in the way they feel comfortable.
Debbie
Killjoy
Debbie
May 8th, 2009 at 07:06am
well excuse you, they were onli commenting on how wrong it is to abuse children. n they r not draft replies they r onli putin their point around in the way they feel comfortable.
BRETTage-MCR4eva
Banned
BRETTage-MCR4eva
May 8th, 2009 at 07:07am
Debbie:
Debbie Is Right We Are only Just Putting Our Point Of Veiw In The Way We Feel Comfortable...And i think ur just stuck up your own arses and tbh i dont care if you ban me...
Debbie
Killjoy
Debbie
May 8th, 2009 at 07:09am
child abuse is wrong, who gives people the right to hit children onli because they r vunriable. people who hav to hit children are stupid because they onli abuse children because they want to feel big!
BOINGage-MCRmy
Banned
BOINGage-MCRmy
May 8th, 2009 at 07:12am
i agree with debbie.

they jus wanna feel big.

AND IF I SAY IM GNNA PLOT AGAINST SOMEONE!
i will ^^
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
May 8th, 2009 at 08:55am
^^ Tallulah was only reminding you to follow the rules, for gods sake.

Child abuse can obviously never be condoned, anyone who is abuses there children disgust me, for obvious reasons, but also the effects on that child are life long.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 8th, 2009 at 11:51am
Cigarettes And Suicide:
1) So, what do you think counts as abuse? 2) How far would you go to discipline your children? 3) Do you think children raised in households where one or both parents are frequent users/addicted to drugs or alcohol are abused, or do you think it depends on the individual circumstance? 4) Do you think that parents who have obese children are abusive/neglectful because they are allowing their children's health to suffer because of their ignorance/laziness?
I numbered them so I could answer them in order, Donna Very Happy

1) Abuse can be either physical or emotional. I know a girl whose parents regularly tell her to shut up, call her names, punish her for insignificant things, and enforce rules which only apply to her. She is most definitely abused. I do not believe in the practice of corporal punishment (I saw a special once in which the parents would line up their kids almost daily and swat them with belts. They thought this was normal!) However, the occasional swat will happen, and that's not abuse, unless excessive force is used. The rule of thumb is usually one open-handed swat on the tush or hand, and only on the rarest of occasions.

2) I follow my mother's model: I have developed a specific tone that I use to get his attention; it's generally all that's needed to get my point across. When he was little, I used time-outs regularly. Now that he's a teenager, I ground him, but only for serious offenses. I want him to make an effort to stop the behavior, not tune me out. I can count on one hand the amount of times he's ever been swatted by me; it always makes him stop dead in his tracks. Now, his mouth occasionally warrants him a slap to the face, but I always stay my hand so that it barely makes contact. I want him to stop mouthing off, not be injured by me.

3) I think that children raised by addictive parents are often neglected, which can be considered a form of abuse, but if one parent remains sane and sober, the effects of the other can be minimalized (as was the case in both of my households.) If a child is born addicted to a substance then yes, that child can be removed from the home temporarily.

4) No, I don't believe that. Obese children have a genetic malfunction; anyone has ever raised a toddler knows that it's not normal for a child of that age to overeat (or even eat at all, for that matter) and that no parent can force them to do so. The parents of these children are usually obese as well; it's a genetic predisposition. The family should be offered health assistance, not punishment.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 8th, 2009 at 12:28pm
If you are desperate to say you're going to plot against someone. go for it....
you just can't do it here anymore! And you can say how much we're up our own arses as much as you like... just not here anymore.

You were warned on previous threads for spamming. If you don't like the way things are run here, thats fine, you don't have to be here anymore.

And Debbie, if you have an issue with an admin telling people about the rules you should discuss this with me on pm.