Don't have an account? Create one!

Child Abuse

AuthorMessage
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
May 23rd, 2007 at 03:33am
I'm against child abuse. When you hear adults hitting other adults, it abuse. When its a parent hitting their child, its called discipline. I don't understand why children are not protected as much as adults. When I was a child, I got hit by my dad all the time and it wasn't pretty either. Whether smacking works or not, it could damage the child when they grow up. To me, smacking is the lazy way of disciplining children.

There are ways that parents can discipline the children without using violence. Smacking them would promote violence.

When your dog does the wrong thing... Do you smack it?
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 23rd, 2007 at 09:08am
i dont know
im a little devided on the issue.
but some kids are snotty bastards < considering i was one of thse.
and dont respond to "stop or its time out"

sometimes a quick smack on the bum does the trick
i dont think it counts as abuse.

child abuse is defined as
mistreatment of a child by a parent or guardian, including neglect, beating, and sexual molestation

i hardly think one swift smack is a beating.

but i am very againts molestation. and neglection those things definativly count as child abuse.
fxmous-lxst-words
Joining The Black Parade
fxmous-lxst-words
May 23rd, 2007 at 05:01pm
i think abusing your child is NOT the way to teach them right from wrong. there are other ways to discipline a child, hitting is definitely not the answer.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 24th, 2007 at 08:47am
fxmous-lxst-words:
i think abusing your child is NOT the way to teach them right from wrong. there are other ways to discipline a child, hitting is definitely not the answer.

but thats the thing.
there are kids out there
that just dont respond to "stop or your grounded" or
"stop or its time out"

i dont beleive in like lashing a kid or anything
but like a quick smack on the bum isnt abuse.

river phoenix.
Salute You in Your Grave
river phoenix.
May 30th, 2007 at 04:58pm
voodoo doll:
And if you want to read a book about a true story (about the author) then I recomend "A Child Called It".

Um, sorry. Some of the stuff in that book is true, but a lot of it is made up.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 30th, 2007 at 07:00pm
Age Sixx Racer.:
fxmous-lxst-words:

but thats the thing.
there are kids out there
that just dont respond to "stop or your grounded" or
"stop or its time out"

i dont beleive in like lashing a kid or anything
but like a quick smack on the bum isnt abuse.

I totally agree with you! To me, smacking is a necessary part of a child's upbringing - it never did me any harm to get a quick smack on the butt when I misbehaved. There are just too many kids out there who don't respond at all to calm discussion or 'time out' methods, and people make the mistake of thinking kids are stupid - they're not. They know full well that being smacked by their parents doesn't mean it's acceptable to do it to anyone in public, and more than that, they know that if there are no consequences for their bad behaviour, there's nothing stopping them from doing it again. For instance, being sent to my room or put in the 'time out' corner never did the slightest thing to deter me from acting up - it was the physical pain of a spanking, and the humiliation of being smacked in public that stopped me from being naughty.
My parents never abused me, I was never afraid of them - I was just afraid of the consequences of my actions, and therefore learned not to do things that would entail such consequences.
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
May 30th, 2007 at 10:05pm
Solitary-Smile:
voodoo doll:
And if you want to read a book about a true story (about the author) then I recomend "A Child Called It".

I highly doubt that it is made up at all. Ive read the book, and Ive seen the man in live interviews and stuff like that. Where did you get the idea that it was made up?
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 30th, 2007 at 11:08pm
NotOkay22:
Solitary-Smile:
voodoo doll:

I highly doubt that it is made up at all. Ive read the book, and Ive seen the man in live interviews and stuff like that. Where did you get the idea that it was made up?
I personally haven't read the book, but how the hell would you know whether the stuff written in it is true or not? Anybody can make up a completely fictional tale and slap the term 'memoir' on it and have people believe it's utter truth. People can take a few truthful elements and elaborate or embellish them, and the end product is not truth at all.
Do you personally know the author? Then you can't say one way or the other whether these experiences really happened to them.
It's happened before - Norma Khouri passed off her novel 'Forbidden Love' or something as a true story about her friend's honour killing, and it turned out the friend never existed - and that everything she'd told the media about her life was a complete lie. There was recently a book featured on Oprah Winfrey that was passed off as the memoir of some guy who used to be a drug addict, and it turned out that the book, although it had elements of truth in it, was not his actual experience, and therefore a complete fake. Essentially, he publicly embarrassed Oprah, who supported him and his work, only to be humiliated when it came out that he was a liar.

All I'm saying is, don't believe everything you read. I'm sure the book is a great one, but don't be absolutely convinced that it's 100% truth just from seeing the author in a few interviews - the best liars are the most believable.
Golden Cat
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Golden Cat
May 31st, 2007 at 08:24pm
My parents spanked me, and I'm thankful. It taught me to behave. They had this chart that like for example, screaming at people meant one spank. And it worked, I'm the most well behaved person I know besides adults and my brother. Very Happy

So that's NOT child abuse. Child abuse is more like hitting your child for no reason, or forcing rediculously over the top disciplines like whipping, chinese water torture, depriving them of food, ect.

Tough love is NOT child abuse. If the kid is living their parents' house then they'd better live by their rules and accept their punishment.

When your dog does the wrong thing... Do you smack it?

1. Yes.
2. Children aren't dogs, their minds work very differently from a dog.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
June 1st, 2007 at 10:03am

shes absolutly right
how can you compare a dog to a child.

Helena and Hearts
Jazz Hands
Helena and Hearts
June 3rd, 2007 at 03:14pm
i think some parents, beat kids because they dont know any other way of letting their anger out... maybe they were abused when they were kids. Anyway it's wrong and cruel.....some people dont know how bad it could hurt.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 6th, 2007 at 10:36pm
i have a friend who was hit occasionally and child protective services came, it was really scary for her but her family is functional now. But was beaten alot when i was young at my school alot of kids picked on me, and now i have clinical depression and have attempted suiside afew times, i dont think that would have been the case for me if i hadn't been bullied at school. and my freind probaley won't get so mad at herself all the time and blame herself for everything.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 6th, 2007 at 10:38pm
sometimes parents just dont know how to discipline a child if they're acting up and they jsut get s frustrated. but im totally against it, who in their right minds would be for it?
december kiddie
Killjoy
december kiddie
June 7th, 2007 at 03:46pm
I think that child Abuse is so wrong.
there is no excuse for hitting a child or another person for that matter.
It is wrong and no one deserves it.
And what kills me is that people (parents) and (children) try to hide these things i mean parents yes i understand that you wouldnt admit to hitting your child.But i feel that if children are being abused then they need to get help right away by like telling someone you trust or your bestfriend.
this kind of stuff cant go unrealized.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 7th, 2007 at 08:42pm
^true but somtimes the child is afriad what if they turn their family in, then they're the ones who are tearing the family apart(even though the abusive individual is actually the one) and being forced away from their family is just to scary for a kid to comperhend
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
June 7th, 2007 at 09:49pm
^ I agree. It's a loyalty thing. I know of kids who have been hit by their parents (not abused, mind you, but hit) and it's left a mark, and they've kept their mouths shut because they know better than to go dobbing in the people who love them and care for them. Nobody wants to wind up in a foster system where the possiblity of worse physical abuse, or sexual abuse, molestation, torture, etc is a very real threat.
Sometimes it's better to cop a belt across the back of the knees than be in a system where much, much worse things can happen.

And sometimes the 'abuse' is a one-off thing where a child was doing something particularly dangerous (for instance, running out into heavy traffic) and the parent simply loses their temper beyond reason with absolute terror. It happened to a friend of mine at my house one time - her partner went out the back with my husband to look at our car, and their five-year-old son thought he'd gone out the front, so simply walked out the front door and onto a very busy street. By the time we realised he was outside (less then two minutes after he'd walked out), he was haflway up the street, walking in the gutter - it was a narrow street with no parking spaces, so he could easily have been hit and killed by some irresponsible moron. My friend was absolutely distraught - she grabbed him and smacked him across the butt several times, screaming at him to never scare her like that again. He was crying, she was crying, he got a little bruise from it - but I don't blame her one little bit for losing complete control of her composure - she was terrified at the thought that her beautiful little boy could have been killed. To this day, he won't step foot near a street without an adult nearby to guide him, and he's certainly learned his lesson. However, if Child Services had got involved, he might have been taken away from his parents, who really do love and care about him, and have never hit him like that before. Sometimes a one-off flogging here and there is necessary and unavoidable, and therefore I don't count it as abuse.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 8th, 2007 at 01:03am
^ have you ever read the book the lost boy? it gives a picture at what a hell foster homes can be, there are good ones but those are kind of rare. and if a kid misbehaves spank him its the best discipline i think.
Helena and Hearts
Jazz Hands
Helena and Hearts
June 8th, 2007 at 03:54pm
i am so against it but you cant stop it because there are some crazy mean people out there
Helena and Hearts
Jazz Hands
Helena and Hearts
June 8th, 2007 at 07:19pm
smart disicion
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 8th, 2007 at 08:03pm
^ true we could try to put it in moderation and help some kids but really this will always be a problem