Don't have an account? Create one!

Suicide and Self harm

AuthorMessage
ElizasMAMA
Fabulous Killjoy
ElizasMAMA
December 1st, 2006 at 03:32pm
i have a penis:
i used to. but i don't like to talk about it. but i think its wrong that you do it. but i don't like to lecture anyone. i think it is wrong though but its a good lesson to learn.

i know how it feels too. but i didnt do it for attention. i was upset and VERY depressed with like wat was going on with family memebers and friends and so i just couldnt take it anymore. thank god it only lasted about a month before my mom caught me.
windinyourhair
Jazz Hands
windinyourhair
December 1st, 2006 at 03:52pm
ElizasMAMA:
well there should be enough support groups, at least where i live because our whole school has its only little program and counselors. they handed out packets about 3 weeks ago with phone numbers on the back to all these different programs for different problems.

there really should be more support groups. the counselors in my school did crap for the kids. they never noticed that I was depressed, or anything. every single person who should have noticed, didn't. and every person who had the authority to do something didn't do a thing. We never got any packets about getting help for it. those sorts of things really should be a requirement for schools everywhere, because even though people might make fun of getting a packet like that, or think there's no point, it really might save a life.
windinyourhair
Jazz Hands
windinyourhair
December 1st, 2006 at 03:57pm
Darkened Angel:
I agree that a lot of self-harm/suicide going on today is more than likely because of pressure from society.

I recently learned that one of my best friends is on anti-depressants, yeah, I'd known that she was depressed, she told me herself. But before, when she showed me the many cuts she'd made on her arm with a broken razor, I didn't know what to do, what to think, I THOUGHT it was the first time she'd done it, her mother told me differently.

Why'd she do it? Because kids at school were calling her a witch, along with other mean things. I'd laughed when she'd told me the kids on her bus thought she was 'casting spells' on them, I'm not laughing now. It scares the shit out of me and I blame society for it. Not all of society, a majority of it. If people didn't judge one another we probably wouldn't have this problem.

Really, I fear the day when she'll do something worse, if she'll do something worse. Her mom, all of her friends including myself, are trying to help her through it, so far it's not going too good. I miss the old Krysta, and sadly, I don't think she'll ever be coming back.

she might come back. obviously not exactly the same, after what she's been through, but this quote by gerard might help you:
"When we first started out I had a really big issue and a lot of my loved ones had a really big issue with the fact that I was totally in pain up there and there was a time when I tried to hurt myself off stage, but I got over that. Like, you should never want to hurt yourself. You should love yourself. Sometimes you have to kind of die inside in order to rise from your own ashes and believe in yourself and love yourself and become a new person..."

there's still hope. just try to be there for her, that's all you can really do at that point. be a friend. it's a battle within herself, and all you can do is be there when she needs you.
ElizasMAMA
Fabulous Killjoy
ElizasMAMA
December 1st, 2006 at 04:12pm
stud_muffin23:
ElizasMAMA:
well there should be enough support groups, at least where i live because our whole school has its only little program and counselors. they handed out packets about 3 weeks ago with phone numbers on the back to all these different programs for different problems.

there really should be more support groups. the counselors in my school did crap for the kids. they never noticed that I was depressed, or anything. every single person who should have noticed, didn't. and every person who had the authority to do something didn't do a thing. We never got any packets about getting help for it. those sorts of things really should be a requirement for schools everywhere, because even though people might make fun of getting a packet like that, or think there's no point, it really might save a life.

yes u r right and plus its not like i know exactly how many schools even have handed out packets. i actually took them as a serious matter. i was lookin through them thinkin "hmmm r there any i could actually use" our counselors r ok at doin thier job. and yea i have heard of that before, like how some school counselors are ccrap and i can honestly see how.
windinyourhair
Jazz Hands
windinyourhair
December 1st, 2006 at 04:32pm
dream brother:
but that just leads me back to the point that most of the time self hard and suicide aren't the same thing and if it lets them get thru tough times then let them do it

sometimes, like it did for me, I cut for so long that it MADE me suicidal, because it made me hate myself even more that I did it, so I did it more since it was my outlet, and it was just a messed up cycle that kept taking me down further. there's not much you can do about it, but I guess if they're blunt enough to tell you about what they do, then the best thing that you can do is either be there for them, or get help for them.
windinyourhair
Jazz Hands
windinyourhair
December 1st, 2006 at 04:34pm
makemearedcape:
I think you know that there's a self harm trend when you walk into an accessories shop and find plastic razor blades on chains and little guns on heart pendants and little gun earrings...

<3makemearedcape

THANK YOU! that is rediculous when it's like made into something cute when when you hate yourself to the point that you take it to physical means, it's not cute at all.
ElizasMAMA
Fabulous Killjoy
ElizasMAMA
December 2nd, 2006 at 10:47am
stud_muffin23:
makemearedcape:
I think you know that there's a self harm trend when you walk into an accessories shop and find plastic razor blades on chains and little guns on heart pendants and little gun earrings...

<3makemearedcape

THANK YOU! that is rediculous when it's like made into something cute when when you hate yourself to the point that you take it to physical means, it's not cute at all.

yes i mean they have those types of stuff at like "Halloween Adventure" and other stores and the earrings are big too. And im wonderin to my self "wat are they tryin to say, "kill yourself for halloween!"
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
December 4th, 2006 at 06:19pm
Never self harmed. I've never really stooped that low, so to say. I've always recognized the truth in a sense that I knew self harming does not help, but instead harms you further.
Quinn.
Bleeding on the Floor
Quinn.
December 4th, 2006 at 09:20pm
^^^ i can understand that. but it kind of hurt when you said that you've never really stooped that low.
i guess it was just harder for me to see that it was doing more harm than good.

i dont know about anyone else but when it comes to self harm i just blank out. i dont even realise im doin it until its too late. most of the time i just want to get the pain out and i know cutting is not the way to do that but when all that anger, pain and loss builds up in you, you really dont know what to do. it all gets too much and cogs up your head. you know you shouldnt do it but you do anyway...coz thats the only way you've been dealing with it. thats how i feel. i know its stupid...but i get blackouts where i just dont care and cut. then i look back and see the scars and i get sick of hiding them. coz its ugly...and it reminds me of the situation to why i did it in the first place.
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
December 4th, 2006 at 11:26pm
As much as I'm sorry you were kind of hurt, I do not take it back. It's the honest truth that anyone should be realizing.
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
December 5th, 2006 at 08:04am
xMari_Malicex:
Never self harmed. I've never really stooped that low, so to say. I've always recognized the truth in a sense that I knew self harming does not help, but instead harms you further.

You are steriotyping. Self Harm, whether the people who do it want to admit it or not is caused by or part of a MENTAL ILLNESS, people who do this are mentally unwell even if they swear blind they are not. This is FACT so I think your stooping that low comment was extreemly harsh.

Even in the cases where people do it supposidly for attention, if you are willing to cut yourself for attention, then that is a serious problem too because someone who was mentally sound would not partake inthis sort of behaviour. Some do it in times of desperation, and others do it when they are not disparing, either way it provides them with escape/good feelings etc that they can not get without doing it, otherwise they would not be doing it. lol i see i wrote a lot of "doing it's" in that, but surely you can see the point that I am trying to get at?
gerards_baby
Killjoy
gerards_baby
December 5th, 2006 at 11:52am
I also think some people will do it because they aren't getting enough or any attention from parents or friends or whatever and if they go up to a friend sibling teacher or parent and say look what i did they think the person will feel bad and pay so much attention to them.
Alecks.
Motor Baby
Alecks.
December 5th, 2006 at 02:37pm
The problem with cutting is the fact that it actually does work in some ways. Some chemicals are released by the brain creating a calming effect over the body for a temporary time. Not saying that it is an good idea. Resorting to this kind of action means something is truely wrong. When you result to it it means you feel trapped and cant tell anyone anything. You should find someone you trust and go from there. Some ways to avoid cutting in a place where your overly tempted is to take a rubber band arround your wrist and flick it. You will get a simular reaction without having to pucture or perminently ruining your body. You can also use ice. The stinging will also create the desired effect. The conciquences however must be taken into measure before you cut(DONT CUT!). Even if you dont want to. You can be sent to a rehabitational hospital for a week in the least. At rehab if your good you will be released after that week for weekly(At the least for plain cutting) therepy. If you go to a state hospital you could be there longer. Depending on your additude and willingness to get better. You could be placed in a placement program until your over 18 so they can watch you. Or you can be in an severe hospital for months. It also depends on how many times you have been kept in an hospital. The time goes up for each visit.

Suicide is a step beyond cutting. You can cut but not be suicidal. Sucide is the point where things are deffinatly out of control. Suicide is not an normal thought at all. Even though 4 out of 5 teens go threw depression or think about suicide. An actual suicide attempt is beyond human. When at this part. You seriouly have to go to see a thereispt and talk about it. There is always some way out. Weather you want to consider it or not. You can try medications. Taking them does not mean your weak or a horrible person. Commiting suicide means your weak and a horrible person. By leaveing behind people who love you even thought they may not show it. And for not trying to make it threw something and taking the 'easy' way out. This 'easy' way out is a lot more difficult than you think. Medication however can help a lot. So consider it. Or if your suicidal. Dont even consider. Just get it somehow.
Alecks.
Motor Baby
Alecks.
December 5th, 2006 at 02:39pm
Punk_Bling_Girl_85:
xMari_Malicex:

You are steriotyping. Self Harm, whether the people who do it want to admit it or not is caused by or part of a MENTAL ILLNESS, people who do this are mentally unwell even if they swear blind they are not. This is FACT so I think your stooping that low comment was extreemly harsh.

I agree. Many people steriotype self harm just for kids who are 'emo' or 'goth'. Truthfuly, Ive heard of people who are preps 'popular girls' and 'straight A' kids who used cutting as a way to get arround stressful situations. Even though it just added into the situation. Self harm I believe is definatly part of depression wich is the same as anger in a way. So i fully agree that it is a mental illness.
the_murder_scene
Killjoy
the_murder_scene
December 5th, 2006 at 02:41pm
people could very easily replace cutting for something else.....i watched trisha once and she said if you get an ice cube and place it in your hand and squeeze then it gives you the same relief.....without the nasty scars!
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
December 5th, 2006 at 05:12pm

----

Uh. No. I'm not. I'm very careful with what I say, thank you very much...I'm not automatically assuming that all self harmers have gone lower than low. It was a general comment, as to say that I've never gotten to that point. Obviously more than one person has taken it wrong. Like I said, I don't take it back. What I say is something I firmly believe. I know the facts, I know the stories, I'm not stupid. Please do not try to twist my words around.
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
December 5th, 2006 at 05:17pm
To whoever said something about the chemicals: You're very right, the chemicals that are released are similar to those that are released when you do something you like, like exercising or playing a sport. That's why the true pain is masked. The true atrocity of the act is always blinded.
MistressRhi
Motor Baby
MistressRhi
December 5th, 2006 at 10:52pm
Mari Malice you may have referring to me, i know i mentioned the chemicals a while back - the chemicals that you are referring to that give you happy feelings are endorphins and perhaps adrenaline - all these chemicals come from your pituitary gland, thyroid etc etc and most people know what happens when you get an inbalance in your thyroid - it makes you sick and unbalanced. Same as depression - a mental imbalance triggered by deep emotional pain. - well that's how i see it anyway
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
December 6th, 2006 at 02:38am
x3x3blocky:
Suicide is not an normal thought at all. Even though 4 out of 5 teens go threw depression or think about suicide. An actual suicide attempt is beyond human.

I beg to differ. Statistics show that it is perfectly normal to have suicidal thoughts or an obsession with death at some point in your life. Even your own stats show that it is abnormal to not think about suicide at one point.

And I also disagree with your "beyond human" comment. Humans are the only animals in the kingdom that can commit suicide and be in thier right minds. We can hide behind no excuses; suicide is an invention of mankind.

Punk_Bling_Girl_85:
You are steriotyping. Self Harm, whether the people who do it want to admit it or not is caused by or part of a MENTAL ILLNESS, people who do this are mentally unwell even if they swear blind they are not. This is FACT

The first sentence of your post made me wince. Please look up stereotyping, and you'll find that she wasn't doing it at all. She was making a blanket statement. Totally different.

Self harm is not from mental illness. Not all of it, anyhow. It is not fact that all self harm is caused by mental illness, either.

Perfectly lucid, sane, balanced people self harm. To say that all self harm is caused by mental illness is grossly misinformed.

There are people who like pain (masochists) and people who like causing pain (sadists) and people who just like the color of blood. Self harm is not restricted to only those who are depressed, or going through a rough time, or following a trend. Self harm is something anyone can decide to do, regardless of the situation or the factors involved.
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
December 6th, 2006 at 06:32am
[quote="bloodredruby69"]
x3x3blocky:
The first sentence of your post made me wince. Please look up stereotyping, and you'll find that she wasn't doing it at all. She was making a blanket statement. Totally different.

Self harm is not from mental illness. Not all of it, anyhow. It is not fact that all self harm is caused by mental illness, either.

[/size][/color]

To suggest that self harming is "stooping low" is suggesting that all people who self harm are put into this category. Creating an oversimplified image of a particular group of people, usually by assuming that all members of the group are alike is STEREOTYPING and this is what has been said. Stereotypes affect what a person thinks and believes about others, as well as how she or he behaves toward them, so clearly this person thinks that self harming means that you are stooping low. This is therefore a stereotypical statement.

I said that self harm is "caused by" or "part of" a mental illness. This, in the majority of cases is true, and up to date psychological research suggests that in ALL cases of self harm have something to do with mental problems, whether that is a form of mentall illness or disfunctions in brain chemisty. Also the british psychological institute has been pushing for some time now to have self harm classified as a mental illness in its own right, and I believe it is only a matter of time before this happens.