Don't have an account? Create one!

Suicide and Self harm

AuthorMessage
Baby Jesus is
Banned
Baby Jesus is
September 16th, 2006 at 08:10am
Personally i think anyone who cuts then tells everyone "I CUT" does it for attention...

Would it be wrong of me to think someone who cuts, and hurts people around them in doing so... and knows it, but keeps cutting is selfish?
fallout_girl
Killjoy
fallout_girl
September 16th, 2006 at 08:21am
i think that people who cut do it for one of three reasons
1. thier following the "emo" trend and think its cool
2. thier in so much pain emotionally that they cannot deal with it and make it physical to deal with it.
3. they feel like they cannot control anything around them, therefore they cut so they have crontrol over somthing.

i have never belived that people who cut themselves want to kill themself, cutting takes a level head and you have to concentrate so you dont actully end up bleeding to death and it is done in anger and it is more of a defense mechanisim. in general most cutters want to kill themselves but they dont want to die, they see killing themselves as a from of revenge. most people who kill themselves think they are doing the world a favour.

those are my thoughts, if anyone wants them.
Fear and Regret.
Fabulous Killjoy
Fear and Regret.
September 16th, 2006 at 12:17pm
fallout_girl:
i think that people who cut do it for one of three reasons
1. thier following the "emo" trend and think its cool
2. thier in so much pain emotionally that they cannot deal with it and make it physical to deal with it.
3. they feel like they cannot control anything around them, therefore they cut so they have crontrol over somthing.

i have never belived that people who cut themselves want to kill themself, cutting takes a level head and you have to concentrate so you dont actully end up bleeding to death and it is done in anger and it is more of a defense mechanisim. in general most cutters want to kill themselves but they dont want to die, they see killing themselves as a from of revenge. most people who kill themselves think they are doing the world a favour.

those are my thoughts, if anyone wants them.
i think i agree with you.

i did cut before, but that's completely over now and i was cutting because everything went wrong in my life [your third reason] and i never wanted myself to die. it was just a very wrong way to get over things.
i don't think that keeping cutting is selffish, cause it's hard to stop. it's hard to find another way to out your frustrations.
EMO_TEDDY
Jazz Hands
EMO_TEDDY
September 16th, 2006 at 08:20pm
they do it for attention,
they do it because they feel it's the only way,
it happens in so many places,
it happens to everyone,
dont let it fool you,
if you think somone is going through it,
then ask if they are ok,
dont say you can help
it annoys, it confusses,
it makes them feel worse,
if you know you can help then do it,
if not just be a good friend,
they will tell you in good time,
belive them trust them,
its what they want its what they need,
they need hope and faith,
just trust them the will trust you,
it will get better unlees it gets worse,
if you know it is this bad,
say something they will forgive you,
if they dont know you did something good,
i know i have experience,
i dont like too addmitt it but there you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
September 17th, 2006 at 12:39am
Broken Dream:
I think:
Suicide: If you SERIOUSLY have a bad depressing life, it's ok I guess. I would commit suicide if I have a really sad life.
Cutting: Is absoluetly stupid. One, a lot of cutters are attention-seekers. And two, it doesnt make a difference. Cutting will still make your life even more miserable.

Wow, that has to be one of the most unintelligent comments I've seen for a while now.
Suicide is okay, but cutting your wrists isn't?
I have friends who have issues in their lives, so they turned to cut their wrists, and here's the thing - they didn't do it for attention.
I believe they did it because physical pain can be easier to deal with, than emotional pain.

Basically, what you're saying is that killing yourself is perfectly fine, but simply doing harm to your body isn't?
Hmm... I just don't agree with that at all.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
September 17th, 2006 at 12:53am
What can be done to prevent it? If you know that a friend/relative/person in general is having a tough time with stuff - maybe school, life at home, or just low self-esteem - you need to be willing to listen. Advice is always a good thing, so long as it's sensible. There's no point in giving advice if it's going to make the person even more miserable. Sometimes, you don't even need to say anything to them. But you need to give them your time, even if they're just venting.
Who does it affect? It affects mainly the person doing the self-harm, but it also majorly affects the people surrounded by this person. It really gets you down when you know your friend is cutting their wrists, because they didn't think anyone cared about them, or their supposedly stupid problems. It's just generally a really worrying time for friends of the "cutter".
Why is it more common now than 10-20 years ago? I believe it's more common now, because the media are actually bringing awareness to the issue. However, in them trying to make people aware of the issue, they're also encouraging people - giving them a new idea. Years ago, I don't think kids aged 15 were "depressed", they just lived their life, y'know? Half the stuff people cut themselves over is really quite stupid. Sure, your parents might be constantly arguing, your brother might be a drug dealer, and blah blah blah. But even then, I don't think those are sufficient reasons to use self-harm as a way out. 10 to 20 years ago, those weren't big issues, really. They mess with peoples head, yes. But suicide and self-harm wasn't necessary.
Are there enough support groups? It's hard to say really - even if there are enough support groups, people don't take advantage of their presence. They think that speaking to a counsellor makes them "crazy". Well, technically speaking, when you cut your wrists, I wouldn't call you anything less than crazy.
How can family members help? This goes back to the first question. You need to be supportive, and understanding too. As much as it might anger you, or upset you, you can't flame the person for self-harm. That doesn't help anyone involved. Just be willing to listen to whatever they need to say. After some experience with friends self-harming, you need to question their motives, for them. Sometimes, they didn't think before they did it, and so by asking them questions (NOT INTERROGATING THEM), they actually learn a little about themselves too.
Baby Jesus is
Banned
Baby Jesus is
September 17th, 2006 at 02:09am
I know someone who used to cut, and im so damn proud that they stopped...

And to the comment above, suicide is only good in one situation... if your going to die a horrible death for example... from Sifilus... or some wort of chemical weapon...
Alex DeLarge.
Motor Baby
Alex DeLarge.
September 17th, 2006 at 02:32am
But you never understand the situation unless you've been there. I've been struggling with this problem for going on about...3 years now? It's a very confusing place to be in, you feel so much better afterwards, but then later on you feel ashamed and wrong which eventually leads back to the feeling you have when you cut in the first place.

Not to generalize it. i was just giving an example of how I sometimes feel...

yeah.
samantha connolly
In The Murder Scene
samantha connolly
September 17th, 2006 at 03:03am
I think everyone here should read the book, "A Bright Red Scream". It deals with self injury very well, and very responsibley. I really enjoyed it, and it really taught me a lot, that some of the people who don't understand cutting or self injury, might want to learn.
A Friendly Reminder
Jazz Hands
A Friendly Reminder
September 18th, 2006 at 09:59am
i think that its your choice. i think that if you really think you should do it and you have a good reason to then go right ahead. yes its a loss of a loved one or an enemy. but i think that people should be able to decide for themselves.
xAsleep Or Deadx
Banned
xAsleep Or Deadx
September 18th, 2006 at 11:28am
in 10 kids that cuts, 7 do it for attention, or just to follow the emo trend. and the remaining 3, really has problems. they'd rather feel physical pain that emotional, their life sucks so much and stuffs..and suicide, it's a different issue, cutting is just alternating the emotional pain with physical, but suicide? it's ending everything..but i agree, what's the use of living if everything you live for is gone..but everyone should remember that, after all suicide is still the one-way ticket to hell>>>>>>>
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
September 18th, 2006 at 11:34am
^ If you believe in Hell. But I think its important to recognise that the 7 that do it for attention or belonging have some serious issues if they feel that they need to harm themselves in order to validate themselves in that way.
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
September 18th, 2006 at 01:24pm
Mud:
^ If you believe in Hell. But I think its important to recognise that the 7 that do it for attention or belonging have some serious issues if they feel that they need to harm themselves in order to validate themselves in that way.

I agree, I mean to actually be able to cut yourself for attention, clearly there is a problem there already. I 've been getting angry at a girl I know recently, shes been posting messages saying things like "oh i've been bad, i cut my wrist" for all her friends to see, and I though, why the hell if this was a real problem would she be telling the world? Personally I would want to hide it. But then again, I learnt a lot about psychological problems when I was studying for my degree in Applied Psychology, its so easy to jump to conclusions and say people are attention seeking, when its clearly a cry for help.
Alex DeLarge.
Motor Baby
Alex DeLarge.
September 19th, 2006 at 08:35am
But there's a difference between wanting to get attention, and wanting to confide in someone. I think some people don't get that and automatically assume "Oh, well, he/she just wants pity", when it's clearly not the case.

I don't know if that was really contributing anything, but that's what I thought, so that's what I wrote.
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
September 19th, 2006 at 09:04am
I think if you actually hurt yourself, no matter what the reason, there is a big problem.
Broken__
Salute You in Your Grave
Broken__
September 19th, 2006 at 12:24pm
I am so tired of the shit revolving around dying unnaturally
just today it was announced to our school
a kid in my class killed himself by darting in front of an oncoming truck
he wrote a letter of apology to the truck driver for what he did
because he didnt want him to think it was his fault
he died on impact
so please
if any one of you needs help
please ask for it
I can help
and adult can help
anyone
just please
dont do anything that rash
i want pumpkin pie
Jazz Hands
i want pumpkin pie
September 21st, 2006 at 06:37am
when i used to cut i found that it was addictive.
n so i used to do it everysingle night a little deeper.
now i really wish i got help cause the scars are really bad.
i think if you are even thinking about it
GET HELP!!!!!!!
please.
the scars aren't very nice and neither are the memorise!!!!!!!
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
September 21st, 2006 at 08:12am
Mud:
I think if you actually hurt yourself, no matter what the reason, there is a big problem.

I agree completely.
If you're doing it to rid your pain or for attention, then you need to talk to someone about the issues forcing you to do so.
Baby Jesus is
Banned
Baby Jesus is
September 21st, 2006 at 09:03am
Oh i came across this on my nerdy science website,

Cutting is addictive, as when the letting of blood occurs (cutting) the brain releases endorphins making the body feel happier and more relaxed to cope with the pain. So basicly cutting works like a drug... a rather stoopid drug but a drug none the less...

Oh and to anyone who cuts, if you cut coz you feel its the only thing you can control... Stop... its the strongest form of control.
my chemical romance.
Banned
my chemical romance.
September 27th, 2006 at 04:24pm
Self-harm is extremely addictive and relieving, well for me anyways. And saying the majority of cutters do it for attention is so ignorant. People don't hide their scars, and are ashamed of what they've done if they want attention.

The thing I find the most irritating is people who will go up to a self-harmer after seeing their scars, and begin asking questions. "Why do you cut." "What happened to your arm, hm?" It's just fucking rude, and annoying.