Don't have an account? Create one!

Global Warming

AuthorMessage
Hell Yeah Georgie
Really Not Okay
Hell Yeah Georgie
April 20th, 2007 at 04:25pm
So called 'greenhouse gases' make up a tiny tiny percentage of the earth's atmosphere, hardly enough to be changing the worold, all by themselves.

In the last 10,000 years, the warmest periods were before humans began producing CO2.

A more recent example. In your theory, the more carbon dioxide people are producing, the higher the temperature rises, yes? Well then explain how this happened:

Before 1940, the temperature rose, but after 1940, during the post-war economic boom, when much much more CO2 (and other greenhouse gases) was produced, the temperature...went down.

If greenhouse warming were happening, then scientists predict that the troposphere (the layer of the earth's atmosphere roughly 10-15km above us) should heat up faster than the surface of the planet, but data collected from satellites and weather balloons doesn't seem to support this.

There is also evidence to show that the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere lags behind the global temperature, showing it cannot possibly be the cause of it.

Solar activity is far more likely to be the cause of climate change.

reference = Channel 4's the Great Global Warming Swindle
Wilted.Flower
Killjoy
Wilted.Flower
April 21st, 2007 at 12:46am
i actually watched the Al Gore movie about Global Warming earlier this year.
first off, i have never like Global Warming. i have heard it was bad.
after i saw the movie, i actually found out what it was and what its doing to the environment.
I AM STILL AGAINST GLOBAL WARMING.
i know i am a human being but i think...no i know, that we are responsible for it.
we burn too much fossil fuels, and that puts more carbon dioxide into our air supply. cutting down trees also releases a huge amount of CO2 also. if we keep burning more fuel than needed, and cutting down trees to build "industry", there will be more CO2 in the atmosphere...now where will our oxygen be?

we must stop Global Warming from getting even more out of control.
Hell Yeah Georgie
Really Not Okay
Hell Yeah Georgie
April 21st, 2007 at 06:28am
(Welcome to INO by the way)

The thing is, you've only seen one side of the argument. Are you just going to dismiss a load of scientific FACT because you've heard one argument better than the other?
MCR.4.ever
Killjoy
MCR.4.ever
April 22nd, 2007 at 08:49pm
people think that they can stop global warming but they can't. no matter what they do its not gonna happen. the only way i think global warming is gonna stop is if people stop useing soooooooo much of our earth's natural resours (lkie thats ever gonna happen). global warmings never going to stop. the only way it will stop is all the earth's natural resorus are gone, the ice caps melt and a giant hole is in the ozone! i think the first thing that should be done is that the Hummer compine needs to stop makeing cars that only get 7mph! than the earth will slowly recover from waht enviermental hazerds have done to it!
Chris Kunitz!
Joining The Black Parade
Chris Kunitz!
April 23rd, 2007 at 01:27am
I do not really believe in Global Warming =/ Even if it is true, there is not really anything we can do to fix it.
Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
April 23rd, 2007 at 03:28am
how can you not believe in it? have you not seen whats going on in the world around you?
Hell Yeah Georgie
Really Not Okay
Hell Yeah Georgie
April 23rd, 2007 at 06:07am
Frankie-Oreo:
how can you not believe in it? have you not seen whats going on in the world around you?

I agree, you can't not believe in global warming, its fact. Its whetehr or not its caused by humans that is debatable, in my opinion.
the.sound.of.black
Jazz Hands
the.sound.of.black
April 23rd, 2007 at 08:04am
I am skeptical about global warming.

Apparently we have been causing it for 100 years since the industrial revolution...

But what about the millions of years that this wasn't occuring...the world was hot, the world was ice, the world had dinosaurs, the world didn't have dinosaurs....get the gist?

Scientists get it wrong all the time.

But I do think all of the changes we are seeing in regards to the environment are a good thing.

Oh and the drought in Australia happening at the moment isn't the first and it won't be the last. I don't think this is caused by global warming. It is called the weather...there was a drought in Australia from 1900-50....not so long ago.
Rock Steady
Salute You in Your Grave
Rock Steady
April 23rd, 2007 at 07:28pm
i would just say to everyone that has seen the 'inconveniant truth' dont take it at face value. their is scientific research that directly contradicts Gore's arguments. such as the CO2 effetcts temp graph, where actually its entirely the opposite way round.
Nick Jonas.
Bleeding on the Floor
Nick Jonas.
April 26th, 2007 at 03:50pm
This is weird im doing a project on it for english. i have to write a piece of Argumentative writing to persuade people to do something about it. Back to the point. I think that there are reasons for and against it.
Some people could argue that we are destroying our world and we must cut down on fuels,gases used etc.
Others may argue that it is actually mother nature that is creating the greenhouse gases etc. because mother nature is doing its part. I think we may be able to help to prevent global warming but i dont think we can totally prevent it.
Thats just my opinion :]
sailor spaikae!
Always Born a Crime
sailor spaikae!
May 5th, 2007 at 08:31pm
Okay, Global Warming is a point I can talk about for hours on end. Literally.

First thing is, Global Warming is a fact - you can't deny it. The earth is of course, getting warmer. The question is - are we causing it?

Some people, have suggested that, by burning fossil fuels and what not 'greenhouse gases' have been released in to the atmosphere. Greenhouse gases, such as: water vapour, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide etc., allow the strong, energised rays of sunlight to pass through yet, trap them upon exit because the earth absorbs some of this energy. This radiation and heat obviously, warms up the earth in what is called 'the greenhouse effect' - I think you can see why. So, burning fossil fuels releases greenhouse gases, so?

Well, because the earth has been warming in recent years and CO2 (considered one of the worst culprits), were increasing until some point in the seventies, when restrictions and reductions were introduced. If the green house effect proves correct, artificial global warming is proved. However, how do you prove it?

Many people. such as the previously mentioned Al Gore arguments have recorded scientific data and presented it in an attempt to prove it. However, some scientist believe this data is flawed, warped and misconstrued. One thing is certain, the ozone layer is not causing global warming, contrary to popular belief. Many scientists, for certain reasons to be explained later, believe global warming is perfectly natural. Also, a great number of scientists, well-educated people and even some rather surprising sources (such as the co-founder of Greenpeace) believe that, artificial global warming, is a media and journalism industry - which, regardless of where you stand, it is. Many people earn millions from the global warming catastrophe.

But, it could be natural. An important point to make is this: the world is still coming out of an Ice Age - shouldn't it be warming up? The earths temperature fluctuations can be drawn on a graph that resembles and oscilloscope; the earth has an Ice Age (resembled by a peak) and then warms up (the trough) Currently, the earth is believed to be somewhere in the middle of this, so, isn't global warming to be expected? Yes, of course, however it can be argued that we are speeding up this process greatly.

The Sun. Couldn't that be our main culprit. The Sun, releases rays of light energy, heat energy, radiation, etc. Often, the amount of energy released by the sun fluctuates. Obviously, as the Sun is the source of heat and energy for the entire solar system, it seems fair enough to assume that, if the Suns rays became stronger or it released more energy, the earth would warm up.

But, no one can fully prove or disprove artificial global warming, no one will until the main causes are identified and agreed on by all who are qualified to make a statement on the cause of global warming. Until then, why not stay on the safe side and cut down on carbon emissions? It won't hurt anyone, will it? Well yes, actually it can. In developing countries, people are only just starting to use the energy resources we take for granted daily. They simply can not afford alternative power. Is it really fair to tell them they aren't allowed to develop? That they have to live in extreme poverty? That their children won't outlive their parents? To deny them education, sanitation, health care - the basics we take for granted? To force them to live in a way you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy? No, of course it isn't. But, what can we do, if artificial global warming is taking place, it's all well and good for places like Britain but Africa; a completely different story. Drought and famine are regular occurrences there and any more heat would certainly prove disastrous. So, what should we do?

Perhaps, the economical giants, the MEDCs (More Economically Developed Countries) should reduce the amount of greenhouse gases and use alternative sources - they can afford it, they're safe. They're developed, the have the money. For them, it can't hurt to be on the safe side. However, in LEDCs (Less Economically Developed Countries), they should be allowed to continue using any fuel sources they like, they need to develop. Yes, when they have developed, they too should cut down but for the time being, it really is unfair to expect them to do so. Also, the media really needs to get a grip. This is not a crisis. It's not even proven. Scaring people may line your pockets but, it can severely cripple others; not just those living in poverty. Many, well-respected scientists have had their reputations completely destroyed because they had evidence to dispute artificial global warming. Just because it suits some politicians and journalists, it does not make it a real problem. Open your eyes. Yes, feel free to save energy - be on the safe side, it's your right. But don't try to force others to do so until it can be proven. People have the right to live comfortably, don't they?
xXDrop.The.DaggerXx
Killjoy
xXDrop.The.DaggerXx
May 11th, 2007 at 01:21am
Princess Tinkerbell:
So called 'greenhouse gases' make up a tiny tiny percentage of the earth's atmosphere, hardly enough to be changing the worold, all by themselves.

In the last 10,000 years, the warmest periods were before humans began producing CO2.

A more recent example. In your theory, the more carbon dioxide people are producing, the higher the temperature rises, yes? Well then explain how this happened:

Before 1940, the temperature rose, but after 1940, during the post-war economic boom, when much much more CO2 (and other greenhouse gases) was produced, the temperature...went down.

If greenhouse warming were happening, then scientists predict that the troposphere (the layer of the earth's atmosphere roughly 10-15km above us) should heat up faster than the surface of the planet, but data collected from satellites and weather balloons doesn't seem to support this.

There is also evidence to show that the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere lags behind the global temperature, showing it cannot possibly be the cause of it.

Solar activity is far more likely to be the cause of climate change.

reference = Channel 4's the Great Global Warming Swindle

According to the NRDC, "the 10 hottest years on record have all occured since 1990". Humans are dumping 24 BILLION tons of Carbon Dioxide into the atmosphere every year. It only accounts for a small percentage of atmospheric makeup, but that percentage has increased in the last 100 years.

Perhaps it is human nature to try to find fault in everything else, but I must say you are exeedingly ignorant on this topic. Channel 4 is not a good choice for a source. Fox News might be more reliable (please note the sarcasm). In addition, where I have provided factual information, until your last post you circumnavigated retaliation in kind with opinions and excuses; not an effective tactic, I might add. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but to be ignorant by choice is laughable. I sympathize with you.
sailor spaikae!
Always Born a Crime
sailor spaikae!
May 11th, 2007 at 02:55pm
^ Yes, channel four isn't alays the best source but I actually found the documentary in question to be quite factual.

Secondly, none of this had been proven or disproved, so you simply can't treat it as complete fact either way. Yes, points in the documentary were factual. It's also true that we are increasing the amount of CO2 we produce. It's effect, is in question.

Thirdly, the records don't go back very far. The earth goes through warm periods and ice ages; we're still coming out of one. To have records of times that should be hotter than it is now, you would have to go back before human existence. See my point?

Fourthly, you're also being ignorant by choice. Clearly, you haven't even begun to think about any other arguments or beliefs other than you own.

Personally, I disagree with you, but I accept I may be wong. However, even if we are making some impact to global warming, I very much doubt it's anywhere near as terrible as many people would have you believe.

sailor spaikae!
Always Born a Crime
sailor spaikae!
May 11th, 2007 at 03:02pm
Princess Tinkerbell:
I don't believe that global warming is caused by humans.

I believe it is part of a natural cycle of the earth. I think that if we try and stop it, we could run into worse problems.

I also think that the government is brainwashing people in England. (I don't know about other places..) We have to learn about global warming in biology as part of our GCSE syllabus. But the thing is, the book is based on opinion when it comes to this topic. The book blames humans for global warming, and dictates that we should be stopping it. But there's another side to the story, another theory, a theory that it is a natural occurence. Only the book doesn't publish or even acknowledge that theory, because the government doesn't want us to know that its new greeen taxes might be irrelevant.

Global warming is something that is natural. Humans should not try and change nature, they could cause more problems.

That really is an excellent point. See, it can work both ways. If we have been causng it, which currently hasn't been proven or disproved, excess intervention could lead to much worse problems.

I honestly believe some people need to open their minds a little. There are two sides to every story, yet they are perfectly willing to believe the one forced on them by the government and media they accuse of being so terrible. Ironic, no?

Everyone is entitled to have their own belief on this subject and I'm not asking people to change it, but seeing as it isn't proven fact, I'm asking that you at least consider other arguments before ranting. At least that way you can be assured of making an informed choice on what to believe and help others.

xXDrop.The.DaggerXx
Killjoy
xXDrop.The.DaggerXx
May 11th, 2007 at 05:52pm
It's not that I do not acknowledge that there are other points of view, it's that so far I have been shown no physical evidence that effectively proves that we are not destroying our planet.

Even if we are not causing global warming, we're still killing our planet in other ways. Whether I believe it to be the cause of global warming or our own greed and stupidity is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.
Casimir Pulaski Day
Shotgun Sinner
Casimir Pulaski Day
May 11th, 2007 at 10:58pm
Where I am I heard that within 2 generations the average temperature would be 100 degrees year round. And I live in Illinois. They also mentioned a few other areas in different states. Is that not scary?
DidWeAllFallDown?
Killjoy
DidWeAllFallDown?
May 13th, 2007 at 12:56pm
ByeHalyconDays:
Theres a giant hole in the ozone over the south pole. Thats not climate change that's globe warming.

Holes in the ozone layer are caused by CFCs (Which are no longer a major problem). Not by carbon emmisions which people believe are the cause of "Global Warming" (Though I personally believe "Global Warming" to be a natural change on earth. I watched the channel 4 programme about it aswell, and people just seem to ignore the facts of what people have been pointing out)
But yeah, I don't think there's really a problem. It's all happening naturally, not by humans. Sooner or later the climate will revert back to normal, and possibly there will be another Ice Age. You can't really tell about these things...

(The quote is from page 1 by the way)
apple.
Always Born a Crime
apple.
May 13th, 2007 at 12:59pm
I think people like to pretend it isn't real.
It's too late to do much to stop it, but people should at least try to prevent it getting worse. Ignoring it won't help.
DidWeAllFallDown?
Killjoy
DidWeAllFallDown?
May 13th, 2007 at 01:02pm
I'm not ignoring it, or denying it exists. It clearly does. It's just it isn't caused by humans.. It's a natural event, and nothing can be done to prevent it or slow it down..
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
May 13th, 2007 at 01:41pm
It seems kind of impossible to me that there have been no negative ramifications from everything humans have done to the earth. I don't know if it's global warming or what, but I'm not going to sit around pretending like all the polluting and cementing over we do hasn't messed up the environment.