Don't have an account? Create one!

Global Warming

AuthorMessage
Hell Yeah Georgie
Really Not Okay
Hell Yeah Georgie
May 13th, 2007 at 02:53pm
superficial banana:

That really is an excellent point. See, it can work both ways. If we have been causng it, which currently hasn't been proven or disproved, excess intervention could lead to much worse problems.

I honestly believe some people need to open their minds a little. There are two sides to every story, yet they are perfectly willing to believe the one forced on them by the government and media they accuse of being so terrible. Ironic, no?

Everyone is entitled to have their own belief on this subject and I'm not asking people to change it, but seeing as it isn't proven fact, I'm asking that you at least consider other arguments before ranting. At least that way you can be assured of making an informed choice on what to believe and help others.

I think that is one of the key issues surrounding global warming. People everywhere are panic stricken about something they may not have any control over. This global brainwashing is pathetic, it really is and its making fools out of intelligent people. I'm by no means saying that anyonw who believes that global warming is caused by human activity is foolish, I'm just saying that anyone who believes everything the government tells them is foolish.

It's gone too far it really has. Now I find myself learning from a GCSE textbook that puts the fear of God into people, blaming them from the global 'crisis'. That's in science. In RE I see videos and textbooks that say exactly the same. In school assemblies I'm hearing 'save the planet' every few seconds, and I can't pass a single day without 'Global Warming' popping up somewhere. What's happened? Why are schools teaching their students one side of an argument?

In my opinion, until we have any definitive evidence either way people need to be educated both ways. You wouldn't teach a class that abortion should be illegal without saying why it is legal would you? You would lay out both arguments and touch upon every aspect. So why, on such an important issue, are people being blinkered?
DeWitt.
Crash Queen
DeWitt.
June 12th, 2007 at 03:30pm
T!NY
Killjoy
T!NY
June 20th, 2007 at 02:04pm
i feel very strongly about global warming. I even made a website. As some of you might noticed, i used MANY pictures from the show Planet Earth under the "why should we preserve our earth" section. Visit my site !

http://www.freewebs.com/katimus/kathryn.htm
IBleedBlack
Killjoy
IBleedBlack
June 21st, 2007 at 01:52pm
I believe in global warming. But I don't think we can do much to stop it, all we can do now is delay it.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
June 21st, 2007 at 02:11pm
Pickled Chili:
This global brainwashing is pathetic, it really is and its making fools out of intelligent people....It's gone too far it really has. Why are schools teaching their students one side of an argument? In my opinion, until we have any definitive evidence either way people need to be educated both ways. So why, on such an important issue, are people being blinkered?

Because it doesn't do ANY harm against anyone to take precautions, to recycle, to reduce pollution, to protect the environment. These are things we SHOULD be doing ANYWAY. Global warming doesn't have to be a one-sided argument. It's simply pointing out that regardless of the severity of global warming, WE are being IRRESPONSIBLE with the earth. There are tons of hard scientific fact and evidence that pollution is destroying our forrests, animals, air quality, health. Why can't we all rally together and start acting responsibly, regardless of whether or not we believe in global warming?
broken.
Jazz Hands
broken.
June 24th, 2007 at 02:17am

dude.
its gonna be required in 209 I think [not sure] that every household has atleast one hybrid vehicle.
sparklinggrey
Jazz Hands
sparklinggrey
June 24th, 2007 at 03:22pm
I am looking so forward to the Live Earth show on the 7th of July. It's the perfect way to let everyone know it's time to save this earth and do something is right now
Hell Yeah Georgie
Really Not Okay
Hell Yeah Georgie
June 24th, 2007 at 04:13pm
Beeblebrox:

Because it doesn't do ANY harm against anyone to take precautions, to recycle, to reduce pollution, to protect the environment. These are things we SHOULD be doing ANYWAY. Global warming doesn't have to be a one-sided argument. It's simply pointing out that regardless of the severity of global warming, WE are being IRRESPONSIBLE with the earth. There are tons of hard scientific fact and evidence that pollution is destroying our forrests, animals, air quality, health. Why can't we all rally together and start acting responsibly, regardless of whether or not we believe in global warming?

I'm not talking about pollution. I'm talking about global warming being a natural occurence.

And precautions can sometimes cause more damage. I hold the belief, based on scientific evidence, that it is a natural occurence, the earth has been hotter than this in the past and species that we're panicking about now have survived then.

What if we all start changing things because we think we're doing bad, and then we realise that actually we hadn't done anything wrong in the first place. And in fact, in trying to correct our imaginary mistakes, we had done more damage, unecessary damage.

No one is sure exactly why the planet is heating up, therefore we shouldn't dive into 'solutions' when we only have half that facts. We could do more harm than good.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
June 25th, 2007 at 06:23pm
pirate wifey:
I'm not talking about pollution. I'm talking about global warming being a natural occurence.

And precautions can sometimes cause more damage. I hold the belief, based on scientific evidence, that it is a natural occurence, the earth has been hotter than this in the past and species that we're panicking about now have survived then.

What if we all start changing things because we think we're doing bad, and then we realise that actually we hadn't done anything wrong in the first place. And in fact, in trying to correct our imaginary mistakes, we had done more damage, unecessary damage.

No one is sure exactly why the planet is heating up, therefore we shouldn't dive into 'solutions' when we only have half that facts. We could do more harm than good.

What kind of solutions are you talking about? I don't see how recycling or electric cars could do any damage to the environment - definitely not more than the pollution were putting in now (and causing global warming or not, pollution etc is absolutely damaging the environment).
Hell Yeah Georgie
Really Not Okay
Hell Yeah Georgie
June 26th, 2007 at 05:31am
I am talking about solutions such as creating artificial carbon sinks and taking an active approach to 'saving the planet'. And yes, people are trying to do such things.

And I disagree with taxing nations under the pretence of 'reducing carbon dioxide to reduce global warming' because there is no concrete evidence that we need to be taxed at all. Why should people have to pay for causes that could be unworthy?

Why can't governments take a bigger stand on issues that we know are actually affecting the planet, and the way people live such as poverty and genocide?
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
June 26th, 2007 at 05:44am
honestly, i dont know to much about it. i just know that its bad.
i dont think that they cover the subject enough in school.
i think teachers should talk about it alot more and we should figure out some things that we can do to help today.
Rock Steady
Salute You in Your Grave
Rock Steady
June 26th, 2007 at 03:02pm
sparklinggrey:
I am looking so forward to the Live Earth show on the 7th of July. It's the perfect way to let everyone know it's time to save this earth and do something is right now

was that sarcastic?
i hope it was.

Because truly i think that Live Earth is just entirely hypocritical.. think of the damage it will cause and power it will use up. even if they do do some things that are environmentally friendly they are just making i worse. i think its just ridiculous.

People just need to stop listening to what ppl tell them and start looking for themselves. C02 doesnt warm the seas.. the seas create more C02. they have the link the wrong way round.
Now i have studied both sides for A-Level, and i have seen the Inconvieniant Truth and i have seen the programme that highlighted the errors in it. and i know which one i believe. yes humans should do more to care for the planet. but this whole media propaganda. scientists what ppl to believe that its a human thing because they get millions of dollars of funding to study it!!

the arguement is that industy etc has driven climate change. so in theory during the Post-War boom where industry became more prevalent the temperatures should have risen more dramatically. However they didn’t. They fell for 4 decades.
also Volcanoes produce more C02 in one year then all humans sources of C02 – factories planes etc. and animals and bacteria produce 150 gigatons per year compared to 6 ½ produced by humans.

step outside the box and stop beliving everything u get told.
Hell Yeah Georgie
Really Not Okay
Hell Yeah Georgie
June 27th, 2007 at 10:32am
Ghostgirl191, I couldn't disagree more. Teachers spend far too much time rambling on about global warming, but only one side of the argument. What the government (in England at least) seems unable to do is give people the choice. Thye spoon-feed the nation's children 'facts' without showing them, or even suggesting to them that there is another theory. Why can't young people be given a choice? Why do the government not think me capable of thinking for myself? Because to be honest, I find it an insult, and I beleive that this is completely the wrong way to go about 'saving the planet' if at all it needs saving.

Listen to what Rock Steady is saying, it makes so much more sense, and seems to indicate, that really, teachers needn't be bothering rambling on about carbon emissions and greenhouse gases. I say, stop the government propaganda.
followill.
In The Murder Scene
followill.
July 4th, 2007 at 11:29am
I think people should stop talking about global warming!
We all know that the world is gonna burn to a crisp in about 10 million years but who gives a crap!! I am not gonna get stressed about it!
writerGrrl
Salute You in Your Grave
writerGrrl
July 4th, 2007 at 12:10pm
Alice666:
I think people should stop talking about global warming!
We all know that the world is gonna burn to a crisp in about 10 million years but who gives a crap!! I am not gonna get stressed about it!

What are you talking about? The rapture? I've heard some people say before that we shouldn't help the Earth because the rapture will come and God will destroy everything again after the "saved" are off the planet. (yeah right)

Or do you mean that the sun will turn into a red giant and swallow up the earth in 5 billion years?

Either way whether you believe that global warming is human caused or not, most people can agree that our lifestyles are hurting the planet and changing them will not only delay "global warming" but will also help us in other ways such as reducing our dependence on Middle Eastern oil. (I'm talking about America here.)
Heartzers.
Killjoy
Heartzers.
July 4th, 2007 at 02:30pm

What can be doe to prevent it?

Umm, well I don't know if I'm right or whatever it's just that I think I heard on the news that it was actually pollution which was causing Global Warming, so maybe if we recycled more...

What risks do we face in the future for ignoring it?

Umm.. either we burn to death or die of skin cancer or something, or we drown because the water level will rise up because the land will dry out, that's what I read anyway.

Do you think it's a serious issue?

Well I do because our children (if we have any) will probably be affected by it but if we tried preventing it, then maybe there will be no Global Warming.

Why do you think some people ignore the problem of Global Warming?

Maybe because they don't want to die so they ignore the risks about Global Warming?

&& on this topic, I agree with writerGrrl about the 'Either way whether you believe that global warming is human caused or not, most people can agree that our lifestyles are hurting the planet and changing them will not only delay "global warming" but will also help us in other ways such as reducing our dependence on Middle Eastern oil.' Except I don't live in America.

=]
xxmcrxfreekxx
Killjoy
xxmcrxfreekxx
July 5th, 2007 at 01:22am
I think people should actually attempt to do things that don't contribute to global warming. Like even simple stuff like carpooling, biking instead of using cars, use less hot water, plant a tree, turn off electrical devices, etc.

In the future, I think the ice caps will melt and lots of people will drown. And, it could get too hot for people to even be able to live on Earth.

I think it is a very seriously issue because I recently watched Al Gore's A Convienant Truth and he showed charts that basically our generation is doomed if we don't do something now.

I think some people ignore global warming because they are too scared to admit that it is happening because they don't want it to happen.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
July 5th, 2007 at 10:58am
Here's the information for Live Earth. Now realize, that there are HUNDREDS of concerts, sports games and events here every year. There are ALWAYS hordes of people flying, driving and traveling from all over to attend the events at Giants Stadium. Live Earth is just another concert here. There will be no "major impact" on the environment because just as many people travel there to see a sold out football game or the nine consecutive sold out Bon Jovi concerts any other day of the year. People just love to complain.

I, for one, will be carpooling with friends in my hybrid. There are also bio-diesel buses that will take people to the stadium from the bus and train stations, and that is awesome. That will reduce the amount of people cramming up the highway (which if you've ever gone to giants stadium for a concert, the parkway is absolute hell).

REYCLING & COMPOSTINGConfusedThroughout Giants, they will have separate recycling bins (for plastic bottles, cans, glass), composting bins (for food waste, food containers) and regular trash bins.  Up until Live Earth, there was a single stream of recycling at Giants — which means that all trash gets thrown into the same bin and the recycling company digs through it to sort out the recyclables.  This resulted in approximately a 40% waste diversion rate.  After our team visited the recycling plant, we devised a plan that will bring us to our goal of well over a 80% waste diversion rate.  They are enlisting about 800 volunteers for the Giants Live Earth greening.  These volunteers will be educating and helping to direct the audience members towards placing their waste in the correct bins.  They will also have recycling station tents throughout the parking lot.  Here’s how to do your part to reduce waste at Live Earth NY:

* RECYCLING BINS:  Beverages will be served in fully-recyclable PET 1 plastic bottles (this symbol is on the bottom of the bottle), some glass bottles, aluminum cans. All of these are recyclable, so please put them in the recycling bins.

* COMPOSTING BINS:  Place all uneaten food and food containers in the composting bins.  Almost all food will be served in biodegradable containers so that it can be composted.

* WASTE BINS:  Everything else outside of the above.  Ask one of our volunteers which bin to throw your waste in. They will be there to guide you.

EARTH-FRIENDLY PRODUCTSConfusedFor the first time at Giants, biodegradable containers and utensils made from biodegradable materials will be used for food service. Recycled paper napkins will come from post-consumer waste.  They’ve asked the caterers to serve locally-grown or organic products. Backstage, water will be served from large coolers to reduce the amount of plastic bottles.  In the bathrooms, recycled towels and toilet paper,  biodegradable soaps and earth-friendly cleaning products will be used .  Port-a-potties will have biodegradable detergents.

ENERGY & LIGHTINGConfusedThe mission with Live Earth is to reduce our carbon output in every foreseeable way. Live Earth will be powered by renewable energy credits from a local wind farm.  TV screens in the backstage areas will be used sparingly.  If A/C is needed, we are promoting ceiling fans instead or energy star appliances. Stadium lights will be reduced or turned off in every area they are not necessary (why light a parking lot in broad daylight?).  The stadium lighting manager and I will be walking around  the week before the show, taping off certain light switches so excess energy will not be used in many areas of the venue.

PUBLIC TRANSIT?Here are some public transit travel tips:

From New York City:
*    Bus from New York City: From Port Authority in New York City to the?Stadium
*    Train from New York City: From NY Penn Station to Secaucus Junction?Train Station; biodiesel shuttle bus will be provided to the Stadium from thereConfused
From New Jersey:
Biodiesel shuttle bus will be provided from the New Jersey Secaucus Junction Train Station to the Stadium.

Just imagine if we could be doing this ALL the time. This would make the world so much better, the environment so much cleaner. Regardless of whether you think global warming is serious, protecting the environment, reducing waste and lowering our energy consumption is always important.
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
July 5th, 2007 at 11:13am
pirate wifey:
Ghostgirl191, I couldn't disagree more. Teachers spend far too much time rambling on about global warming, but only one side of the argument. What the government (in England at least) seems unable to do is give people the choice. Thye spoon-feed the nation's children 'facts' without showing them, or even suggesting to them that there is another theory. Why can't young people be given a choice? Why do the government not think me capable of thinking for myself? Because to be honest, I find it an insult, and I beleive that this is completely the wrong way to go about 'saving the planet' if at all it needs saving.

Listen to what Rock Steady is saying, it makes so much more sense, and seems to indicate, that really, teachers needn't be bothering rambling on about carbon emissions and greenhouse gases. I say, stop the government propaganda.

The reason they don't give the other side of the argument, is because it's wrong. They don't teach kids that the moon is made of cheese, so why should they teach that global warming doesn't exist?
Hell Yeah Georgie
Really Not Okay
Hell Yeah Georgie
July 5th, 2007 at 04:39pm
I'm not saying it doesn't exist Oxycontin Genocide, I'm just saying that there is alternative theories as to what it's caused by.

There is no definative evidence either way. Until there is, teach all the theories that make sense and for which there is scientific evidence. That's common sense and a right.