Don't have an account? Create one!

Interracial Relationships

AuthorMessage
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
May 8th, 2007 at 11:00pm
Excuse me, but there is a huge difference between "Half breed" and a racial hybrid.
We are not giving people fancy names, that is what they are.
It is just politically and technically correct, in a non-offensive way.

Getting angry at those "fancy" terms is like a white person being angry if they get called caucasion.

EDIT; Also, there is nothing wrong with the word hybrid.
It is a mix of two species, types, or, in this case, races.
It is technical, nothing more.
jedicam10
Fabulous Killjoy
jedicam10
May 8th, 2007 at 11:10pm
Look: Different people get offended by didfferent things. It's no one persons right to tell others what is offensive. Maybe i over did it but my main piont is some people may dislike that term. PERIOD
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 8th, 2007 at 11:11pm
jedicam10:
Well, i'm half black and half white and i knew this guys who alsways called me a half-breed. I was pissed off and never talked to him. It's easy to say how unoffensive something is when it aint aimed at YOU. Mixed = Fine. But giving us fancy names is INSULTING! Some maybe fine with it, but i can garentee most of the mixed population would feel offended. Bi-racial is like mixed but 'Hybrid' is getting to the piont of insult due to the fact that, it makes it sound like we are expirements.
I can see how half-breed could be considered offensive, but not only is it a totally different thing from 'hybrid', my point was that 'racial hybrid' was just as offensive as the term'bi-racial' or 'mixed-race'. As Ruby said (and goddamn, this girl always manages to hit the nail on the head), it's a technical term, not a 'fancy name' for something. The reason all these 'fancy terms' are being thrown around these days is because nobody can call anything what it is without being accused of racism/sexism/whatever issue is at hand.
Seriously, the world is getting far too politically correct because of people with opinions like yours, where nothing can be said out loud by anybody else because somebody might find it offensive. Like the term 'black sheep' being replaced by 'rainbow sheep' in the old nursery rhyme 'Baa baa black sheep' because non-caucasians might be insulted. What a crock!
All I was saying was that it seems you can't call anything by its name anymore for fear of some over-sensitive moron complaining about how freaking bigoted everybody is. Get over it - and this isn't a taunt, although you may read it as one, but you are half black and half white - so you're bi-racial, mixed-race, a racial hybrid. Would you rather people called you 'mutt' or 'impure' or something outright offensive?
Pick your battles.
Besides, this is a discussion for the racism thread, not the mixed-race relationship thread.
jedicam10
Fabulous Killjoy
jedicam10
May 8th, 2007 at 11:18pm
I'm not blaming anyone on purpose. I'm just saying, when you believe that what you said was harmless but the other sees it as offensive, don't automatically blame them. If you say it and they are cool, than cool. But if they are offended. Apologize and get over it. The problem THEN is if they don't accept your apology and call you a bigot. THEN it is their oversensitivity.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 8th, 2007 at 11:33pm
I think you misunderstand me. I feel no obligation to apologise for simply calling a spade a spade (excuse the pun - I'm totally aware that 'spade' is a highly offensive term for a... uhh... how do I put this without offending you... a person of part-caucasian, non-asian, non-middle eastern descent, how was that?).
I'm just saying that people are being super-ridiculous in terms of what they consider offensive and non-offensive - in my opinion, something like 'black' or 'coon' could definitely be considered offensive, but something that is completely true and a technical description, like 'bi-racial' is perfectly acceptable, and if somebody finds it unacceptable, then they're kind of an ass.
Why should I feel obligated to apologise to over-sensitive people suffering racial paranoia, over something that's simply a description? I could easily go off my nut at anybody calling me a 'housewife' because I could see it as derogatory, implying that I'm capable of nothing more than cooking food and vaccuming - but I don't! It's a simple-ass truth and nothing can change it.
Chips on shoulders are far too prevalent in what is meant to be a liberated society. I could have understood you being up in arms over a simple term back in, say, the 1940's, but hey - you're just a regular human being by today's standards, and getting offended at people making a note of your ancestry is simply asking to get called a moron.
Political correctness does have its place, but it's gone way too far in my opinion. People need to just suck it up and be brave - nobody's out to get you, the fact is, you're half and half, what the hell am I supposed to do about it?
jedicam10
Fabulous Killjoy
jedicam10
May 8th, 2007 at 11:47pm
I understand that we live in a society where you could even be SUED for "offending" someone, which i see as WRONG. The bottomline, is The TELLER didn't mean to offend, the RECIEVER didn't take it personally, and BOTH forgive. If the reciver goes off, it's HIS/HER FAULT!
Annie-Luvz-a-Marine.
Salute You in Your Grave
Annie-Luvz-a-Marine.
May 9th, 2007 at 06:17pm
i belive u should love who ever u want no matter what race they r
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
May 10th, 2007 at 01:08am
Garrett's_Bella_Wife:
i belive u should love who ever u want no matter what race they r
There is no chatspeak allowed here in the Discussion Board.
Please try to type in passable english next time you post here, ok?
----------------------------------

Jedicam - A person can get offended at whatever they want,
whenever they want, for whatever reason they want. It's part of
being human.

However, when you are using the most politically and technically
correct terms available, they are viewed universally as un-offending.
That is why they are politically correct, is because they are un-offending.

If they get offended by politically correct terms, then they are already being
overly sensative. That is their issue to deal with, not something I will
lost sleep over.

Dee's totally correct with this one.
dom howard.
Banned
dom howard.
May 11th, 2007 at 01:09pm
I find it annoying as hell when non-mixed race people sayy "hybrid" is an okayy word. You're not bi-racial, so you don't know it feels, and it offends us (well' most biracial people i know). it's not politically correct, it's racism, and therefore offensive.
dom howard.
Banned
dom howard.
May 11th, 2007 at 01:16pm
Cigarettes And Suicide:
This is an odd issue for me.
I'm well aware that this is probably going to sound racist to some, so let me start by saying that I'm not. And now allow me to elaborate.
Interracial relationships are fine by me, as long as I'm not the one involved. As in, I don't care if the people who live next door are of different races, I don't feel anything out of the ordinary when I see a mixed-race couple walking down the street, and if a friend of mine introduced me to their new partner, and they happened to be a different race, it would have absolutely no impact on my opinion of them or their relationship, and I'd treat him exactly the same as a person of the same race.
However, I personally would never date a black, Asian, or even mixed-race person (unless they were a mutt that looked totally Caucasian at a glance) - and the sole reason for that is simply that I do not find men of other races attractive. I think some Asian women can be gorgeous, as can some African-American women, but I have never in my life come across a non-caucasian who I found good-looking enough to consider dating.
I think it's something about their bone structure. I just prefer white skin, slim noses, typical caucasian jaw-lines and brow-lines, and the slim bone structure of caucasians, as opposed to the kinked hair, big bones, big lips, squashed noses and large jaws and brows of Aborigines; and Asians are too, I don't know, I just find them unattractive. Just to even things up (because it's not like I discriminate solely against non-caucasians), I wouldn't date a person with an olive complexion or a tan either - I just like the way really pale skin looks, I even think tans are yick.
Call me shallow, but I wouldn't date a grossly overweight person, no matter what their colour, for the same reason - looks are by no means everything, but if the thought of seeing them naked grosses me out, there's no chance for a relationship.

But like I said, anybody who is in an interracial relationship and happy, I'm happy for. And not just 'happy for' in the phony way - love is a hard thing to find these days, so I applaud those who do find it, no matter what shape, size or colour it's packaged in.

Neutral Shocked Maybe you find them unattractive, because you are stereotyping. Not all blacks have kinked hair, big bones, big lips, squashed noses and large jaws and brows of Aborigines Laughing Rolling Eyes Im sorry, i just find that hilarious. Imma add that to my stupid book.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
May 11th, 2007 at 01:55pm
Cigarettes And Suicide:
I'm well aware that this is probably going to sound racist to some, so let me start by saying that I'm not. And now allow me to elaborate.
Interracial relationships are fine by me, as long as I'm not the one involved. As in, I don't care if the people who live next door are of different races, I don't feel anything out of the ordinary when I see a mixed-race couple walking down the street, and if a friend of mine introduced me to their new partner, and they happened to be a different race, it would have absolutely no impact on my opinion of them or their relationship, and I'd treat him exactly the same as a person of the same race.
However, I personally would never date a black, Asian, or even mixed-race person (unless they were a mutt that looked totally Caucasian at a glance) - and the sole reason for that is simply that I do not find men women of other races attractive.

That's exactly what I think. I've just never been sexually attracted to anyone of a different race, although I find some of them to be beautiful. I don't think there's a single thing wrong with interracial relationships though. Be happy.
dom howard.
Banned
dom howard.
May 11th, 2007 at 03:38pm
druscilla; in rags:
However, I personally would never date a black, Asian, or even mixed-race person (unless they were a mutt that looked totally Caucasian at a glance) - and the sole reason for that is simply that I do not find men women of other races attractive.

What do you mean by mutt? Do you mean mutt, like a mongrel dog, or a mutt, as in a mullato person? Neutral
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
May 11th, 2007 at 03:46pm
Mutt is referring to someone with a lot of different ancestories,
like, both parents had a couple of different races in them.

Second, Dee was most likely referring to the Aborigines where she is,
Australia. She wasn't generalizing, per say, she was pointing out the
defining features of that particlar race. It's the same as saying that
Asians have a yellow-tan skin and slanted eyes, ie, description.
That's not racism, that's evolution.

Also, hybrid is politically correct. It's technical, that's it.
If it offends "most" of the racial hybrids you know, then
they probably don't know the meaning of the word,
or someone has used it against them negatively.
dom howard.
Banned
dom howard.
May 11th, 2007 at 03:57pm
Cigarettes And Suicide:
^^ How in hell is 'racially hybrid' any more or less offensive than 'bi-racial', 'mixed race' or 'multi-racial'?! They all mean the same thing, they're all completely accurate terms, and therefore I find no reason for offense in any of them, let alone 'racially hybrid'.
No offence to you personally, but, serial. What are you smoking?
Besides, I know a lot of 'bi-racial' people who don't get offended at all when I refer to them as 'half-caste'. My two cousins are half-castes and we always joke about them being 'half-black' or whatever. Granted, it may be due to the fact that they're family members, but who on God's green earth just walks up to a stranger on the street and says, 'Hey, half-caste'? Of course in that case they'd probably get abused.

I just don't see how 'racial hybrid' is any more offensive than 'bi-racial', which in my opinion simply isn't offensive.
It's just a fact.

you've just contradicted yourself. an opinion is different from a fact. and of course it's not offensive to you, you're not mixed race Laughing

this is from wikipedia (and don't say "oh thats wikipedia, anyone can edit it, it's very unreliable, blah, blah, blah" this is probably been put on wikipedia by a mixed race person)

Generally considered inoffensive
Biracial
of mixed ancestry
of dual heritage
Mixed race
Mixed
Mixed Blood
Multiracial
Multiethnic
Polygeneric — Neologism from Greek, poly-, (many) and genera (races)

Generally considered offensive
Bastard
Half-blood
Half-breed
Half-caste
Half-Chat (Northern Ireland Colloquialism for people of white and black origins)
Halfling
High Yellow
Hybrid
Cross
Mudblood
Crossbreed
Coyote
Mongrel
Mule
Mutant
Mutt
Pendy (Used informally in Sheffield)
Swirl, swirly, swirly baby - reference to swirl pattern on two-flavor "twist" soft-serve ice cream
Zebra — for black and white
Oreo - Black and White
Halfrican - Half Black
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
May 11th, 2007 at 04:02pm
OhMyGee; It's Me!:
you've just contradicted yourself. an opinion is different from a fact. and of course it's not offensive to you, you're not mixed race

this is from wikipedia (and don't say "oh thats wikipedia, anyone can edit it, it's very unreliable, blah, blah, blah" this is probably been put on wikipedia by a mixed race person)

I don't need to say it, you already did.
Plus, since opinion and fact are different, what you posted
is just someone's opinion.

I'm not mixed and I find mongrel and bastard, along with others,
offensive. You can't use your heritage as a crutch in a discussion
like this, and you can't exclude the opinions and posts of others
as wrong or uninformed just because they are not mixed.

Now, this is seriously into the spam side of posting.
This thread is specifically for Different Race Relationships
not to listen to what people find offensive linguistically.
Discussion on that can be taken to the racism thread.

If it keeps up here though, I will most probably report this
to have this locked, especially since it is just going in circles.
dom howard.
Banned
dom howard.
May 11th, 2007 at 04:14pm
bloodredruby69:
Mutt is referring to someone with a lot of different ancestories,
like, both parents had a couple of different races in them.

Second, Dee was most likely referring to the Aborigines where she is,
Australia. She wasn't generalizing, per say, she was pointing out the
defining features of that particlar race. It's the same as saying that
Asians have a yellow-tan skin and slanted eyes, ie, description.
That's not racism, that's evolution.

Also, hybrid is politically correct. It's technical, that's it.
If it offends "most" of the racial hybrids you know, then
they probably don't know the meaning of the word,
or someone has used it against them negatively.

Hybrid might be politically correct (If you say so Rolling Eyes ) Neutral , but it's offensive. It'd be like calling a white person snow white Rolling Eyes , which would be offensive. Like you said, "it's technical". you're basing your word usage on people's technical features.
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
May 11th, 2007 at 04:52pm
This discussion is getting off topic.
The thread is called different race relationships, not racism.
If this continues, I will have to report this. Wink
dom howard.
Banned
dom howard.
May 11th, 2007 at 05:06pm
Mm-hm okayy then.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
May 11th, 2007 at 06:38pm
OhMyGee; It's Me!:
Hybrid might be politically correct (If you say so Rolling Eyes ) Neutral , but it's offensive. It'd be like calling a white person snow white Rolling Eyes , which would be offensive. Like you said, "it's technical". you're basing your word usage on people's technical features.

Ahem.
hy·brid: 'hI-br&d: noun 1 : an offspring of two animals or plants of different races, breeds, varieties, species, or genera. 2 : a person whose background is a blend of two diverse cultures or traditions.

It's not like calling a person snow white. No one is literally snow white, but people are literally "offspring of two animals of different races".

You can take offense to whatever you want, but 'racial hybrid' is technically correct.

And, as Ruby said, all of this is way off-topic. Off-topic threads get locked. No one wants that. Can we please end this?
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
May 11th, 2007 at 07:53pm
OhMyGee; It's Me!:
druscilla; in rags:

What do you mean by mutt? Do you mean mutt, like a mongrel dog, or a mutt, as in a mullato person? Neutral

That wasn't my original quote.
-shakes head-