Don't have an account? Create one!

The Morning After Pill

AuthorMessage
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
May 16th, 2007 at 01:11am
sucks_at_life:
isn't your mother buying the pill illegal? i know that your sister's friend needs it and I agree with everything that you said, but i believe that one of the reasons that it's not available to underage girls is so that their parents are aware of their daughters' actions. especially if the child is 13.

Yes. And if the daughter doesn't want her parents to be aware of her actions she won't let them be.
She's not going to ask them about this pill.
That's why she told my sister who told my mother.
Making the pill illegal isn't going to make teens more open with their parents.
It's not going to make them stop having sex.
It's only going to not prevent pregnancies.
FAKE
Thinking Happy Thoughts
FAKE
May 16th, 2007 at 01:00pm
okay where in london if you go to your gp {or your mums} and ask they will give it to you and they cant tell anyone because its confidentiality {spelling?}
But the area where i live has the most amount of underage sex and teen pregnancy
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
May 16th, 2007 at 05:16pm
druscilla; in rags:
bam margera.:
I really don't think anyone under the age of 18 needs to be having sex anyways. Especially unprotected.

Well, they will.
Morning after pill legalized or not, they will have sex.
This won't change anything.

So... do you think it should be legal or not?

This is not a thread about underage sex.

I think they should keep the age limit.
Like I said,nobody really needs to be having unprotected sex at that age.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
May 16th, 2007 at 06:08pm
yeah, they don't need to, but they do and will, at least until sex ed programs get better--and even after that, kids still will. this is an alternative to the stalemate of abortion, adoption or keeping the baby.

granted, they might still feel the need to confess to their parents, but i would think a kid would need more than 72 hours to work up the nerve to tell her mother and father about something of this magnitude.

Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 16th, 2007 at 06:14pm
The Lost Parade:
okay where in london if you go to your gp {or your mums} and ask they will give it to you and they cant tell anyone because its confidentiality {spelling?}
But the area where i live has the most amount of underage sex and teen pregnancy
Yes, you have a right to confidentiality, but I'm not 100% on whether you're entitled to it before the age of 16... I'm not sure if absolute secrecy is permitted between a minor and a doctor, because if a situation arose where the patient was in serious danger, the doctor would have to tell the parents because it's their child and they would need to know (say, for the sake of debate, a 13-year-old with leukemia, who didn't want anybody to know - the parents would absolutely have to be informed in order for the child to receive treatment). Like I said, I could be wrong, but I imagine that there might be a loophole in which the doctor has every right to contact the guardian of the child in question and inform them of the situation.
Besides, as a couple of people have mentioned, there are a few doctors around who simply refuse to prescribe this pill on a moral or ethical basis, and I imagine that this would be far more prevalent in the cases where the people asking for it are underage... that way the doctor can also avoid the dilemma of whether the parents have a right to know or not - they simply don't hand out the medication and wash their hands of the problem.
Xfriday_im_in_loveX
Killjoy
Xfriday_im_in_loveX
May 16th, 2007 at 10:36pm
if the pill has a negative effect on someone because they're under 18 then thats
understandable, but if its safe, then for gods sake make it over the counter!
MistressRhi
Motor Baby
MistressRhi
May 16th, 2007 at 11:04pm
well from 16 on i can understand it being available but younger? I think there are some issues there, like i know they are going to do it whether we like it or not but the whole point is they are not mentally ready for the ramafications of their actions. No offence to them, they may think their adults and adult enough to handle it, but really they are still children and having sex is a very full on thing that they may not learn to deal with it too well.

maybe it's just because i'm older and i'm going to have a baby of my own that i feel very protective about this but it just worries me that children so young are having sex, honestly there is no need. I know they'll do what they want anyway.

What confuses me about this is the girl knew enough about it to want and get the morning after pill, but she didn't think of protecting herself with condoms in the first place? I know that most of the time you can't get them until you are 16 so it may have been hard to get one, but if she was educated enough to know the consequences, they really should have taken precautions first.

in regards to the post above i think it does mess with the younger woman's system but if she is already getting periods at 13 then it wouldn't do her any harm. The reason it isn't over the counter to such a young age is because it's illegal for minors to have sex, so it's illegal to sell it to minors. The morning after pill is given in hospitals and by doctors when a young girl has been raped but that's pretty much it.

i just don't agree with making it so readily available. At 13 she should still be thinking about music and holding hands with boys should be a thrill, not this. I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything and as i've said yes they will do it regardless, i just don't think at that age, you are mentally ready and it worries me.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
May 16th, 2007 at 11:15pm
MistressRhi:
well from 16 on i can understand it being available but younger? I think there are some issues there, like i know they are going to do it whether we like it or not but the whole point is they are not mentally ready for the ramafications of their actions.

But if you follow through with what you just said, then shouldn't that make the readiness of the pill a better thing?
If they're not ready to deal with the consequences, then shouldn't we make those consequences not exist?
Or should we simply punish them.

And here's another thing...

People keep saying making this pill available for younger girls will make them want to have sex more.

They don't consider the obvious:

If they weren't having sex we wouldn't need to have this discussion.
Stripey-Stripes.
Motor Baby
Stripey-Stripes.
May 16th, 2007 at 11:19pm
druscilla; in rags:
sucks_at_life:
isn't your mother buying the pill illegal? i know that your sister's friend needs it and I agree with everything that you said, but i believe that one of the reasons that it's not available to underage girls is so that their parents are aware of their daughters' actions. especially if the child is 13.
i think that the age limit is good for girls who are really young, but at the same time i dont see how the limit could be lowered without it being allowed for everyone. maybe 16?
can't teens go to planned parenthood clinics and get the prescription without the parent's knowledge?

Actually, I purchased the pill.
I then gave it to my sister to give to the girl.
And I would do it again.
The law is wrong and I am right.

And Planned Parenthoods aren't everywhere.

oh i agree, you were right, definitly(sp?). she needed it. i was just pointing out that it is illegal to buy a prescription for someone thats not you. it could also be dangerous. what if she reacted funny to it?
i would do the same though--that's what you do you know?
i would just be freaking the ENTIRE time-props to you.

and Planned Parenthoods aren't everywhere, but clinics are.
mostly.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
May 16th, 2007 at 11:28pm
sucks_at_life:
druscilla; in rags:
sucks_at_life:
i think that the age limit is good for girls who are really young, but at the same time i dont see how the limit could be lowered without it being allowed for everyone. maybe 16?
can't teens go to planned parenthood clinics and get the prescription without the parent's knowledge?

Actually, I purchased the pill.
I then gave it to my sister to give to the girl.
And I would do it again.
The law is wrong and I am right.

And Planned Parenthoods aren't everywhere.

oh i agree, you were right, definitly(sp?). she needed it. i was just pointing out that it is illegal to buy a prescription for someone thats not you. it could also be dangerous. what if she reacted funny to it?
i would do the same though--that's what you do you know?
i would just be freaking the ENTIRE time-props to you.

and Planned Parenthoods aren't everywhere, but clinics are.
mostly.

To go to a clinic you have to have an insurance card.
Your insurance card is billed to your parents.
Stripey-Stripes.
Motor Baby
Stripey-Stripes.
May 16th, 2007 at 11:35pm
^^
im pretty sure that alot of them have a confidential policy and if its a free clinic then its paid for by the state or whoever pays for it.
but its not the patient.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
May 17th, 2007 at 12:15am
sucks_at_life:
^^
im pretty sure that alot of them have a confidential policy and if its a free clinic then its paid for by the state or whoever pays for it.
but its not the patient.

Free clinics aren't everywhere.
It's not only people in metropolises that have this problem.
MistressRhi
Motor Baby
MistressRhi
May 17th, 2007 at 12:46am
druscilla; in rags:
MistressRhi:
well from 16 on i can understand it being available but younger? I think there are some issues there, like i know they are going to do it whether we like it or not but the whole point is they are not mentally ready for the ramafications of their actions.

But if you follow through with what you just said, then shouldn't that make the readiness of the pill a better thing?

Well no because if the pill is accessable to them, then they won't think and won't worry about the consequences because there will be a handy solution to solve them. At this age they shouldn't be thinking about sex, let alone know about something that can make the unwanted go away.

If they're not ready to deal with the consequences, then shouldn't we make those consequences not exist?
Or should we simply punish them.

if they aren't ready to deal with the consequences then they should not be doing it. by making actions have no consequences you are basically encouraging them to get themselves into situations they can't escape and can't deal with. I don't want to punish them, but if you are prepared to fool around and just expect someone to help you not get pregnant because you're too young then that's just being stupid and careless. If the child is raped or forced into it by someone then they should not be punished, but - if the child goes in all knowing and is not prepared to take responsibility, then yes. whether they abort or not, they must live with their decision was foolish and they made it. Everyone should learn from their mistakes but education and laws are there to prevent mistakes, that's why the pill is not available.

And here's another thing...

People keep saying making this pill available for younger girls will make them want to have sex more.

They don't consider the obvious:

If they weren't having sex we wouldn't need to have this discussion.

ah but you see making the pill available to younger girls WILL make them have sex more because they WON'T have to deal with the consequences. If they realise that having sex at this young age could get them pregnant and there is nothing there to prevent this then perhaps they would stop and they would not go through with it for fear of what could happen to them. it won't stop them all but take away the safety net and it will make some stop and think.

it's a simple rule of society and we all follow it - Do something you're not supposed to do and you will be punished
Do the right thing and you will be rewarded.

children are disciplined by their parents in this way all the time, do you think that sex should not follow these rules? even adults have to face the fact that if they aren't careful things can go wrong, BUT adults are aware and are mentally able to accept and deal with the consequences, children are not yet. They need time and what's wrong with being a kid?? why do you need to have sex?? what's so important, why do it, why not wait? it's not going to go away on you, you can always wait till later.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 17th, 2007 at 01:48am
MistressRhi:
What confuses me about this is the girl knew enough about it to want and get the morning after pill, but she didn't think of protecting herself with condoms in the first place? I know that most of the time you can't get them until you are 16 so it may have been hard to get one, but if she was educated enough to know the consequences, they really should have taken precautions first.

I don't know why you automatically assume that the girl in question wasn't being responsible in the first place. I myself have been forced to seek the morning-after pill after the condom my then-boyfriend and I were using broke. Perhaps this girl was also using such protection that failed, or perhaps she was forced into doing it - either way, making assumptions about her responsibility, or lack thereof, doesn't change the fact that it is surely far better for her to have access to such medication, rather than end up pregnant.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 17th, 2007 at 02:06am
MistressRhi:
ah but you see making the pill available to younger girls WILL make them have sex more because they WON'T have to deal with the consequences. If they realise that having sex at this young age could get them pregnant and there is nothing there to prevent this then perhaps they would stop and they would not go through with it for fear of what could happen to them. it won't stop them all but take away the safety net and it will make some stop and think.

That's blatantly untrue, although if you can come up with statistical evidence to prove me wrong, I'd like to see it. Just for arguments' sake, I'll use the example of the baby bonus, which being an Aussie, you'd be well aware of: You would know that when the bonus was introduced, half the country applauded, while the other half got up in arms about how a lump sum payment would encourage teenagers to get pregnant just for the cash.
Well, glad to say it, but recent studies proved that the teen pregnancy rate in Australia has actually dropped several percent since its introduction, convincing me that although there may be a few morons out there who don't think their decisions through, the vast majority are not swayed by the promise of thousands of dollars, and value their freedom and youth more than a plasma-screen TV or new shoes.

Girls are already made well aware of the consequences of their actions through sex ed, watching their favourite soap operas on TV, reading magazines, and seeing their friends or peers fall into trouble. And the majority of people (even girls my own age) I've spoken to are either totally unaware of the morning-after pill's existence, or they've heard of the name but have zero idea as to what it is or does - so if they don't know what it is, how can they go shagging around thinking, 'Oh, hell, I'll just go to the doctor tomorrow and get this magical pill'?
As Druscilla said, if girs weren't having sex, the pill wouldn't exist, therefore making this discussion redundant - kids will be kids, as much as we all know and they know that they shouldn't be doing certain things, but then wouldn't adults be to blame for that? I mean, adults are the ones who direct music videos, come up with advertising campaigns in magazines and on TV, and create other overtly sexual material that is easily accessed by our youth, so is it any wonder they're experimenting at younger and younger ages?
The point is, this pill should be available for the girls who make mistakes, and hopefully they would learn from that one mistake without any dire consequences and not put themselves in that position again. I seriously, seriously doubt that the vast majority of kids these days are really that shallow that they would see this as a valid option as far as birth control goes.
MistressRhi
Motor Baby
MistressRhi
May 17th, 2007 at 02:20am
the whole point i'm trying to make and being lost at is that at 13 neither she nor the boyfriend should have been thinking about sex. it should not have entered their minds - i realise that society is to blame for this but the kids are not wholely unresponsible either.

i won't argue my case because no one seems to see my point that making the pill available to younger people will encourage them.

yes they shouldn't be having sex in the first place, but making the possible consequences of this easier to manage is not acting as a deterrant. from that
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 17th, 2007 at 02:30am
MistressRhi:
i won't argue my case because no one seems to see my point that making the pill available to younger people will encourage them.

yes they shouldn't be having sex in the first place, but making the possible consequences of this easier to manage is not acting as a deterrant. from that
No, I see your point, I'm just disagreeing with it. The sad thing is, it's far too late for deterrents - parents need to be educating their kids that doing things like having sex at 13 is a bad, bad decision, one that they'll likely regret - but a lot of parents are too busy with their own stuff to really care what their kids are doing behind their backs.
All I'm trying to say is that, surely it would be better for this pill to be available to anybody who needs it, regardless of age, than have a bunch of 12-year-old parents running around with babies in tow? One would hope that having a brush with disaster like that would encourage them to cease having sex, or at least be far more careful in future, once they're made fully aware of the consequences of their actions. There are times where I believe having an 'easy out' is better for everybody involved than to make them 'deal with the consequences of their own actions', this being one of them.
Kids think they're bulletproof, and it might take having to traipse around to three different doctors, panicking all the while that time's ticking, to make them realise just what can happen when they say, 'It'll never happen to me'.
MistressRhi
Motor Baby
MistressRhi
May 17th, 2007 at 02:40am
yes i see your point, i don't want them running around with kids either, im 23 and i still feel way too young for me to be having a baby.

the only thing is will it deter them? It may deter some but maybe not all, as you say kids think they are bulletproof, if some know there is an easy way out they may continue
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
May 17th, 2007 at 08:38am
MistressRhi:
the whole point i'm trying to make and being lost at is that at 13 neither she nor the boyfriend should have been thinking about sex. it should not have entered their minds - i realise that society is to blame for this but the kids are not wholely unresponsible either.

hormones.

13 year old kids have raging hormones, and if they're not taught about sex other than someone saying "IT'S BAD DON'T DO IT!!!" then they probably will be thinking about it, a lot.

i tend to be supporting nurture over nature, but there's no denying that we are in fact animals, and we have hormones and urges.

granted they should know better, but how can you know better if you're never told better? all they really told us in any health class until we were 15 or so was "OH MY GOD SEX IS BAD AND IF YOU DO IT YOU'LL GET AIDS AND DIE!", and that sex makes babies. well obviously everyone who has sex doesn't get aids, and obviously everyone who has sex doesn't have a kid, so it's really not comprehensive enough to properly teach about sex and so on.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
May 17th, 2007 at 11:15am
The age limit restriction is purely for health reasons. A woman under the age of sixteen needs a prescription because only a licensed doctor can determine if the pill will be safe for her. The morning after pill is not one pill, but a series of pills that you must take in large doses throughout the day and it makes you extremely sick. It causes vomiting, headaches, breast pain, excruiating abdominal cramps and vaginal bleeding, as well as other things.

So yes, I agree that if you are under the age of 16 you need a prescription. It's YOUR fault for having unprotected sex, so you must learn responsibility and act like an adult and talk to your parents. If you can't, then you're not mature enough to be having sex and handling the responsibilities that come with it. If, say, your condom broke and you're under 16, then tell your parents you were being responsible and that the condom broke. They should (if they're level headed) react with maturity and respect. IF you were raped, then you have a legal right to go to any hospital and tell them. They can prescribe the morning after pill for you.