Don't have an account? Create one!

The Morning After Pill

AuthorMessage
mrs.johnnychrist.
Really Not Okay
mrs.johnnychrist.
May 19th, 2007 at 11:38pm
Beeblebrox:
It doesn't encourage kids to have unprotected sex. Believe me, if you've ever had to take the morning after pill, you're not likely to EVER want to have to take it again. It's not like popping a vitamin or tylenol and POOF no worries. It's a huge dose of hormones that will make you feel very very sick. If anything, it DIScourages you from slipping up.

yeahh.seriously.it makes you feel like crap.
^^ so right. Clap
the.sound.of.black
Jazz Hands
the.sound.of.black
May 20th, 2007 at 02:14am
My friend has had the map twice. Both times she walked in to the pharmacy, asked for it and paid the $70, they asked her when she had sex etc and gave her the instructions on how to use it. You aren't required to go to the doctors for a prescription. She only took it because she hadn't been having sex for long and she was on the pill but didn't use a condom and freaked out...she is just a bit cautious. Oh and she was only 15.

It doesn't stop the majority of people from having safe sex, it is just an extra precaution and we don't know the reasons and don't need to.

If you call people who have unprotected sex irresponsible then they shouldn't be having children. If they do fall pregnant and don't want the baby the map will prevent an abortion a month down the track, or even worse an unwanted baby 9 months later. Either way they get scoulded.....
J.D. Poe
Fabulous Killjoy
J.D. Poe
May 20th, 2007 at 03:33am
Hannah!:
The morning after pill is wrong, to me, because it's justification of unprotected/premarital sex, which, IMO, is wrong. It's also quite a bit like abortion(which I also think is wrong). If you're gonna do something like that, you should pay the consiquences.

Bringing a life into this world should never be considered a reasonable "consequence" for any behaviour.

The only other options are abortion and adoption, both could ruin your life and the life of the child. And considering the morning after pill doesnt abort a pregnancy (as the creator of this thread states) you can hardly consider it the same as abortion.

Knowing this pill can have serious side effects, just like the regular pill, I think a prescription is imperative. A doctor should definately be consulted but the age and parental consent of the child shouldnt be necessary.

Lowering the age limit to 16 would be the right move though I doubt that will ever happen in america with the current administration.
the.sound.of.black
Jazz Hands
the.sound.of.black
May 20th, 2007 at 04:46am
Seeing as it is only effective in the first 72 hours it just seems more practical to go straight to the pharmacy then to wait for a docs appointment, which for some people can take a couple of days. It is up to the girl to tell her parents, not all people tell their parents everything and that is their business. The govt. and the people wants this pill to be available to prevent unwanted pregnancies....so what is the big deal?

I know a few people who have taken it, either because they were afraid their contraception didn't work or they didn't use any. For them it was a huuuge wake up call and they have never taken it again. They have become more responsible about protection.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
May 20th, 2007 at 08:04pm
Hannah!:
The morning after pill is wrong, to me, because it's justification of unprotected/premarital sex, which, IMO, is wrong. It's also quite a bit like abortion(which I also think is wrong). If you're gonna do something like that, you should pay the consiquences.

Sex happens, rape happens, condoms break sometimes. Everyone's irresponsible and/or stupid sometimes--and sometimes things happen that are beyond your control.

Sorry, but I gotta say.. Having sex is not beyond anyone's control. EVERYONE has the self control to at least keep themselves off some guy. Everyone has complete control over what they do. Yeah, sometimes people can be foolish, but they still had self control. It just means they didn't bother to use it.

A child shouldn't be considered a "consequence" on either side of this argument. Realize that often it wouldn't be the parents who would pay the consequences, but the child. Would you rather have a child be brought into this world by a mother who was expected to "pay the consequences" when not adequately prepared for motherhood than have this pill available?

Pregnancy is not an abstract concept, it's not just a tool used to keep girls from having unprotected sex. It's the process of bringing a life into the world, and if you're anti-abortion then you most likely agree with me that life is sacred--and therefore should be able to see that using life as a "consequence" is wrong.

DegenerateHippie
Killjoy
DegenerateHippie
May 21st, 2007 at 04:04pm
druscilla; in rags:
DegenerateHippie:
There shouldn't have to even be a fucking PILL! people who go around having unprotected sex that dont want children are stupid. they cant blame anyone but themselves. they cant blame drugs, they cant blame alcohol, because ultimately, it was their own decision. if a person gives into peer pressure just because they want their friends to like them, then those friends are dumb, and that person should stop being their friend before one ruins the other's life in some way, whether it be drug, alcohol, sex, or any other situation.

back to my point,
girls who dont want to get pregnant should NOT have unprotected sex. what if that dumbass she slept with has an STD?? thats perhaps WORSE than being pregnant.

and im not trying to tell people that they should live all straight edge, because i CERTAINLY dont. i've delved quite deeply into certain life- altering paraphanilia. all im saying is that people who WANT to be responsible, should be. those who dont... have fun!

For starters, there's no cursing in this forum.
Secondly, what the person above me said. What if the condom broke?

And did you know that they give this pill to victims of rape so they don't get pregnant from their attacker? If there wasn't a pill they could get pregnant from a rapist. How is that their fault?

And, yes, you can blame drugs if you were spiked. You can blame alcohol because if someone takes advantage of you in a drunken state, it's not your fault. Just because you're drunk doesn't give someone the right to take advantage of you.

Sometimes people do stupid things. But if they're smart enough to realize they made a mistake and want to fix it by taking this pill, let them. We're not all responsible 100% of the time.

Im not crushing, im stating my opinion. sorry for the cussing, i cuss. biiiig deal. okay, now that we're past that (hopefully), if a person wanted to be responsible, there would be no sex. end of discussion. thats it.
and im not talking about rape victims here, im talking about irresbonsible people. sure, they should give that pill to rape victims! im 100% for that.

no no no. you cannot blame drugs. you cant say that you were in a drunken state. it doesnt help that fact at all.
ultimately, it's the individual's decision. plain and simple, why cant you see that? it all beyond me, but thats the truth....
DegenerateHippie
Killjoy
DegenerateHippie
May 21st, 2007 at 04:11pm
Caitlin Caustic;;:
DegenerateHippie:
There shouldn't have to even be a fucking PILL! people who go around having unprotected sex that dont want children are stupid. they cant blame anyone but themselves. they cant blame drugs, they cant blame alcohol, because ultimately, it was their own decision. if a person gives into peer pressure just because they want their friends to like them, then those friends are dumb, and that person should stop being their friend before one ruins the other's life in some way, whether it be drug, alcohol, sex, or any other situation.

back to my point,
girls who dont want to get pregnant should NOT have unprotected sex. what if that dumbass she slept with has an STD?? thats perhaps WORSE than being pregnant.

and im not trying to tell people that they should live all straight edge, because i CERTAINLY dont. i've delved quite deeply into certain life- altering paraphanilia. all im saying is that people who WANT to be responsible, should be. those who dont... have fun!

So you're lucky. Big deal. People make mistakes and that includes you and me and everyone else. Sex happens, rape happens, condoms break sometimes. Everyone's irresponsible and/or stupid sometimes--and sometimes things happen that are beyond your control.

You certainly can blame alcohol, if someone takes advantage of you while you're inebriated. You know that in most states that's sexual assault, right? And if you're spiked and taken advantage of, that's also rape.

im not talking about rape victims. im only talking in terms of people that do those kinds of things. that go to raves, parties with boose, ect. and get drunk, and have sex. yeah, sure, if the punch was spiked, thats out of your hands...but think: would you have predicted that? could you have said, 'the person hosting this party is kind of a trouble- maker, or misfit, or someone i dont really trust... so whats going to happen at this party?'
you could have stopped and asked a whole plethora of questions, but the fact is, if you do something, ANYTHING, theres always a risk. no matter what. sure, things happen, but theres no sure- fire way to prevent any of that. people who dont want that kind of trouble should think about what theyre about to do really hard, and thoroughly. that would lessen any chance.

and dont say that im lucky. i only stated that im not straight- edge. i've had my fair share of unlucky, alright?
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
May 21st, 2007 at 04:21pm
^Going to a party does not give anyone the right to spike a person's drink and rape them.

A girl's drink can be spiked anywhere she goes. Should we all just hide at home in case we get raped so that we don't have to use the morning after pill?

We all make our choices, but not everything is under our control. The Morning After Pill is one of the few things that is - or almost is, depending on where you live. Banning it would only be stripping women further of their rights.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
May 21st, 2007 at 06:44pm
^I agree completely. I understand being somewhat cautious, but come on--the idea shouldn't be to tell women* how to not get raped so much as to tell people not to rape them. Women shouldn't have to heavily consider the things you listed, because no one should be spiking their drinks. I don't care if a woman is a sex worker wearing a mini skirt and six inch heels with a tube top at some sleazy party--no one has the right to drug and/or rape her, and if that does happen, it's not her fault, it's the fault of whoever did it.

I don't know about other states, but here in Connecticut, taking advantage of someone who is drunk or high and having sex with them, even if they appear to consent, is 2nd Degree Sexual Assault--that's up to ten years in prison. I'd say most would consider that rape--and I don't care if it was irresponsible to get drunk, because if you possibly get pregnant in that state when you didn't even mean to have sex, chances are you aren't ready to be a parent.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this isn't just for the potential parents' sake, it's for the sake of the life they might create if the pill is not administered. That child is not a consequence, it is a life for which the parents will be responsible for for the next few decades--and if the parents aren't prepared for that, it could be incredibly detrimental for the child involved if a pregnancy does occur.

*obviously this goes for guys too as that does happen sometimes. i just said women seeing as this is the thread for the Morning After Pill.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
May 21st, 2007 at 08:36pm
DegenerateHippie:
no no no. you cannot blame drugs. you cant say that you were in a drunken state. it doesnt help that fact at all.

Actually, you can say it.
It's called rape if you're too drunk to consent or if you were drugged.
Legally.

And it's not only irresponsible people who would need this drug. Everyone seems to insist that the only people who have sex are whores. They're not. Say a girl is in a monogamous relationship with her boyfriend of two years. They always wear a condom when they have sex, but one time it breaks. They were being responsible, but an accident occurred. Why shouldn't she be able to take the morning after pill?

It's the responsible decision, after all, to not have a baby you can't care for.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
May 22nd, 2007 at 02:15am
druscilla; in rags:
It's the responsible decision, after all, to not have a baby you can't care for.

Exactly.

The Morning After Pill should definately stay available. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes.
DegenerateHippie
Killjoy
DegenerateHippie
May 22nd, 2007 at 11:28am
druscilla; in rags:
DegenerateHippie:

Legally.

And it's not only irresponsible people who would need this drug. Everyone seems to insist that the only people who have sex are whores. They're not. Say a girl is in a monogamous relationship with her boyfriend of two years. They always wear a condom when they have sex, but one time it breaks. They were being responsible, but an accident occurred. Why shouldn't she be able to take the morning after pill?

sex in the first place isn't responsible. no matter how much two minors love each other. did you know that it's against the law to have sex as minors?
legally.
persona non grata
Killjoy
persona non grata
May 22nd, 2007 at 03:01pm
DegenerateHippie:
sex in the first place isn't responsible. no matter how much two minors love each other. did you know that it's against the law to have sex as minors?
legally.

well, though i disagree with your opinion that having sex makes people irresponsible, i'm not going to get into that right now. i just wanted to point out that the laws about sex between minors vary greatly from state to state. (i don't know about outside the US, but i was reading about this yesterday, actually.) there are very few states in which it is completely illegal to have sex if you're under 18. in fact, quite a few states' laws allow people 15 years and older to have sex with anyone they want as long as the age difference is less than 10 years. most allow people 14 years and older to have sex with anyone less that 5 years older. the laws are totally different from state to state. i think this is probably better suited for the premarital sex forum.
DegenerateHippie
Killjoy
DegenerateHippie
May 22nd, 2007 at 03:46pm
basketcasex39:
DegenerateHippie:
legally.

well, though i disagree with your opinion that having sex makes people irresponsible, i'm not going to get into that right now. i just wanted to point out that the laws about sex between minors vary greatly from state to state. (i don't know about outside the US, but i was reading about this yesterday, actually.) there are very few states in which it is completely illegal to have sex if you're under 18. in fact, quite a few states' laws allow people 15 years and older to have sex with anyone they want as long as the age difference is less than 10 years. most allow people 14 years and older to have sex with anyone less that 5 years older. the laws are totally different from state to state. i think this is probably better suited for the premarital sex forum.

Yeah... i was thinking about that just as i posted this..
in Cali the age difference has to be within three years.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
May 22nd, 2007 at 06:01pm
DegenerateHippie:
druscilla; in rags:
DegenerateHippie:

Legally.

legally.

Wrong. It varies from state to state, but just an example, in Connecticut the laws are:

If you're under 13, no sex.

If you're 13-16, the other person must be less than two years older than you.

And I believe if you're 16-18 the other person must be under 21, but I'm not positive. Anyway, other than that, as long as it's consensual and not incest, between a doctor/therapist and a patient, or between a non-college school employee and a student, it's perfectly legal.
ilovegerardway2much
Jazz Hands
ilovegerardway2much
May 22nd, 2007 at 08:14pm
I absolutely DISAGREE. ur parent owns u until ur 18 [so2speak] so they deserve2know what ur purchasing at drug stores, and u should be able2 speak 2 a parent or guardian about that. and if u cant tell some1 else.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
May 22nd, 2007 at 08:45pm
^And for kids who aren't comfortable talking to their parents? Parents who aren't comfortable talking about sex with their kids? Should they just not use birth control?
Also, no chatspeak on the Discussion Board. Read the rules before you post.
yoey962
Bleeding on the Floor
yoey962
May 26th, 2007 at 11:41am
druscilla; in rags:

i agree completely.
my friend recently had to take the morning after pill.
she has been with her boyfriend for 6 months, they are very much in love, and they have been responsible everytime they have had sex. however this one time a couple of days ago the condom slipped off and in the midst of it they did not notice. even though it as just after her period and she was unlikely to get pregnant, she did the RESPONSIBLE thing and asked my school to get her the morning after pill. that to me is far better than her sitting on the fact that she could be pregnant and letting it screw up her exams/life and her boyfriends exams/life. now at least she can be sure she is not pregnant and can get on with it.

that to me is the reason that the morning after pill should be available to everyone.
Meeshell
Awake and Unafraid
Meeshell
May 26th, 2007 at 01:11pm
i agree with everyone that says it should be open to all ages, cuz arent condoms? i mean, if u r gonna have sex and u can buy a condom to be safe, why cant u buy the morning after pill just to make sure that the condom worked? hope that made sense.....
fade.to.black
Killjoy
fade.to.black
May 26th, 2007 at 02:14pm
Cigarettes And Suicide:
In Australia, the morning-after pill is available to people over the age of 16, I think, but no matter what your age, you have to go to a doctor and get a prescription for it. I'm assuming that the reason for that is so that women/girls can't abuse it by taking the morning-after pill on a very frequent basis in order to skip out on condoms when engaging in sex.
I don't think there should be an age limit on it at all - what happens if a young girl (say, 14 years old) is raped by a family member and needs to prevent a pregnancy, but can't explain to her parents or another trusted person how a possible pregnancy came about? She can't go to a doctor by herself until she's 16, and it would take me a lot longer than 72 hours to work up the courage to tell my mother just why I needed the morning-after pill.
Not to mention the fact that it's hard enough to get an appointment at a bulk-billing (no cost as long as you hold a Medicare card) doctor, let alone trying to get one on short notice - and not that many young girls, or women in general as far as I know, have $60+ just laying around to blow on a 15-minute consultation.
I myself have taken advantage of the morning-after pill on an occasion when a condom broke and I wasn't using long-term contraception (the Pill, Implanon etc). It definitely took a huge load off my mind and I'm thankful that it exists, but I can understand how the people in charge would want to place restrictions on it so that girls can't just go out screwing around without using condoms, and then just take the morning-after pill once or twice a week so they don't get pregnant.
But people under 18 (or 16, depending on where you live) should be able to go see a doctor and gain access to it without parental consent. I'd rather prescribe someone a pill without their mother knowing than have them kicked out of home for getting pregnant.

i agree