Don't have an account? Create one!

The Morning After Pill

AuthorMessage
ThinkxHappyxThoughts
Joining The Black Parade
ThinkxHappyxThoughts
May 17th, 2007 at 04:37pm
I'm split on this issue, quite a lot actually. I don't agree with the person who was saying it'll encourage kids to have sex. I think that if a kid made a mistake once, there WILL be consequences anyway because of those horrid side effects of the pill.

On the other hand, it could be not safe for kids and killing them wouldn't really help with the whoe unprotected sex issue.

Anyway.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
May 17th, 2007 at 04:54pm
It doesn't encourage kids to have unprotected sex. Believe me, if you've ever had to take the morning after pill, you're not likely to EVER want to have to take it again. It's not like popping a vitamin or tylenol and POOF no worries. It's a huge dose of hormones that will make you feel very very sick. If anything, it DIScourages you from slipping up.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
May 17th, 2007 at 07:39pm
Beeblebrox:
The age limit restriction is purely for health reasons. A woman under the age of sixteen needs a prescription because only a licensed doctor can determine if the pill will be safe for her. The morning after pill is not one pill, but a series of pills that you must take in large doses throughout the day and it makes you extremely sick. It causes vomiting, headaches, breast pain, excruiating abdominal cramps and vaginal bleeding, as well as other things.

So yes, I agree that if you are under the age of 16 you need a prescription. It's YOUR fault for having unprotected sex, so you must learn responsibility and act like an adult and talk to your parents. If you can't, then you're not mature enough to be having sex and handling the responsibilities that come with it. If, say, your condom broke and you're under 16, then tell your parents you were being responsible and that the condom broke. They should (if they're level headed) react with maturity and respect. IF you were raped, then you have a legal right to go to any hospital and tell them. They can prescribe the morning after pill for you.

But a sixteen-year-old getting pregnant isn't healthy either.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 17th, 2007 at 11:58pm
Beeblebrox:
The age limit restriction is purely for health reasons. A woman under the age of sixteen needs a prescription because only a licensed doctor can determine if the pill will be safe for her. The morning after pill is not one pill, but a series of pills that you must take in large doses throughout the day and it makes you extremely sick. It causes vomiting, headaches, breast pain, excruiating abdominal cramps and vaginal bleeding, as well as other things.

So yes, I agree that if you are under the age of 16 you need a prescription. It's YOUR fault for having unprotected sex, so you must learn responsibility and act like an adult and talk to your parents. If you can't, then you're not mature enough to be having sex and handling the responsibilities that come with it. If, say, your condom broke and you're under 16, then tell your parents you were being responsible and that the condom broke. They should (if they're level headed) react with maturity and respect. IF you were raped, then you have a legal right to go to any hospital and tell them. They can prescribe the morning after pill for you.

Ehhh, I guess the morning-after pill must depend on the individual - when I took the course of two pills, I got nothing more than a teensy belly-ache (like mild hunger pains or mild period pain) and that was it. Of course all the side effects you've listed are also present in some women using the Pill or similar contraception, and you rarely ever hear of anything terrible happening to girls using that, so I'm assuming those side-effects are listed purely for precautionary reasons, as there may be a tiny percentage of women who react badly to it.
Yes, teenagers should be acting responsibly, and I'd say there are more that do than don't, but unfortunately parents aren't the supportive, friendly beings we like to think they are. God, my parents allowed me to run riot as a teenager, but if the words 'sex' or 'drugs' were mentioned within earshot, all hell broke loose. There were maybe two people I was friends with in school who were able to be open with their parents about that kind of stuff - everybody else's parents were exactly like mine, in that we'd been told to 'behave ourselves' and if we didn't, we'd be in all kinds of trouble, ranging from groundings to being thrown out of home to sent two hours away to boarding school to keep us out of trouble. So, to me anyway, saying that kids should be able to talk to their parents about certain things doesn't work, because most aren't level-headed or able to communicate with their kids - the minute their kid opens their mouth to tell them something they don't want to hear, they completely lose it.
Chereena
Always Born a Crime
Chereena
May 18th, 2007 at 03:34am
lolz.
i remember when i told mum that i'd had sex for the first time... i told her almost four months after it happened.....
and i had to travel 6 hours to tell her, because i didn't feel comfortable telling my dad!!
it was awkward enough when i came home and dad had made an appointment for me at the doctors to go on the pill!
if i'd needed the morning after pill, i think he would've shot matt! lolz. but that was not needed......

i had to get the morning after pill for one of my friends at work a while back. she had no money and couldn't tell her parents, so i went to the chemist with her and bought it for her. she told me her drink was spiked. she's the kind of girl who goes out, gets wasted, and normally takes precautions against things like this, but even the most aware person can sometimes stuff up. plus she was 18, so i had no problems in helping her.
if she was 16, then i would've had issues with what she did... for starters, she shouldn't have gotten herself into that situation....
as for illness as a side effect and stuff... i had to send her home early in the afternoon because she went all pale and almost collapsed from the pain, but that might have been because she was so scared as well.
alexander
Killjoy
alexander
May 18th, 2007 at 10:21am
I dont think so..if you dont have to go to a doctor to get it then kids will be doing it all the time because the fear of getting pregnant isnt there. But I will have to agree it should be sold in drug stores. Rolling Eyes
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
May 18th, 2007 at 12:42pm
fullmetalfreek:
I don't think so..if you don't have to go to a doctor to get it then kids will be doing it all the time because the fear of getting pregnant isn't there. But I will have to agree it should be sold in drug stores. Rolling Eyes

You do realize that if these girls weren't already having sex we wouldn't need to discuss this?

This pill isn't encouraging them to do anything that they aren't already doing.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
May 18th, 2007 at 01:59pm
druscilla; in rags:
This pill isn't encouraging them to do anything that they aren't already doing.

EXACTLY. Thank you, that sums up the discussion perfectly.
DegenerateHippie
Killjoy
DegenerateHippie
May 18th, 2007 at 02:46pm
There shouldn't have to even be a fucking PILL! people who go around having unprotected sex that dont want children are stupid. they cant blame anyone but themselves. they cant blame drugs, they cant blame alcohol, because ultimately, it was their own decision. if a person gives into peer pressure just because they want their friends to like them, then those friends are dumb, and that person should stop being their friend before one ruins the other's life in some way, whether it be drug, alcohol, sex, or any other situation.

back to my point,
girls who dont want to get pregnant should NOT have unprotected sex. what if that dumbass she slept with has an STD?? thats perhaps WORSE than being pregnant.

and im not trying to tell people that they should live all straight edge, because i CERTAINLY dont. i've delved quite deeply into certain life- altering paraphanilia. all im saying is that people who WANT to be responsible, should be. those who dont... have fun!
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
May 18th, 2007 at 02:50pm
^...what about when condoms break? Sometimes people make responsible, intelligent decisions and accidents happen anyway.

And there is no cursing on the Discussion Board. Read the rules before posting.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
May 18th, 2007 at 03:44pm
DegenerateHippie:
There shouldn't have to even be a fucking PILL! people who go around having unprotected sex that dont want children are stupid. they cant blame anyone but themselves. they cant blame drugs, they cant blame alcohol, because ultimately, it was their own decision. if a person gives into peer pressure just because they want their friends to like them, then those friends are dumb, and that person should stop being their friend before one ruins the other's life in some way, whether it be drug, alcohol, sex, or any other situation.

back to my point,
girls who dont want to get pregnant should NOT have unprotected sex. what if that dumbass she slept with has an STD?? thats perhaps WORSE than being pregnant.

and im not trying to tell people that they should live all straight edge, because i CERTAINLY dont. i've delved quite deeply into certain life- altering paraphanilia. all im saying is that people who WANT to be responsible, should be. those who dont... have fun!

For starters, there's no cursing in this forum.
Secondly, what the person above me said. What if the condom broke?

And did you know that they give this pill to victims of rape so they don't get pregnant from their attacker? If there wasn't a pill they could get pregnant from a rapist. How is that their fault?

And, yes, you can blame drugs if you were spiked. You can blame alcohol because if someone takes advantage of you in a drunken state, it's not your fault. Just because you're drunk doesn't give someone the right to take advantage of you.

Sometimes people do stupid things. But if they're smart enough to realize they made a mistake and want to fix it by taking this pill, let them. We're not all responsible 100% of the time.
Careenin'
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Careenin'
May 18th, 2007 at 08:38pm
I think they should make it available to any age but you still have to go to a doctor and get a prescription, that way it can be controlled, but kids dont have to go to a parent or someone.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
May 18th, 2007 at 08:45pm
DegenerateHippie:

back to my point,

So you're lucky. Big deal. People make mistakes and that includes you and me and everyone else. Sex happens, rape happens, condoms break sometimes. Everyone's irresponsible and/or stupid sometimes--and sometimes things happen that are beyond your control.

You certainly can blame alcohol, if someone takes advantage of you while you're inebriated. You know that in most states that's sexual assault, right? And if you're spiked and taken advantage of, that's also rape.

druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
May 19th, 2007 at 12:51am
your epitaph:
I think they should make it available to any age but you still have to go to a doctor and get a prescription, that way it can be controlled, but kids dont have to go to a parent or someone.

That's the way it is now.
It's wrong.
What if you can't get in to see your doctor before the 72 hours expires?
And unless you have a free clinic in your town, the bill for the doctor will go to your parents.
Stripey-Stripes.
Motor Baby
Stripey-Stripes.
May 19th, 2007 at 03:55pm
druscilla; in rags:
sucks_at_life:
^^
im pretty sure that alot of them have a confidential policy and if its a free clinic then its paid for by the state or whoever pays for it.
but its not the patient.

Free clinics aren't everywhere.
It's not only people in metropolises that have this problem.

obviously--so shouldnt there be more availabilty of not only the Pill and other forms of birth control, but also of free/reduced clinics for those that cant afford it?
but no--the government--is this a great country or what? Rolling Eyes
Golden Cat
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Golden Cat
May 19th, 2007 at 07:54pm
The morning after pill is wrong, to me, because it's justification of unprotected/premarital sex, which, IMO, is wrong. It's also quite a bit like abortion(which I also think is wrong). If you're gonna do something like that, you should pay the consiquences.

Sex happens, rape happens, condoms break sometimes. Everyone's irresponsible and/or stupid sometimes--and sometimes things happen that are beyond your control.

Sorry, but I gotta say.. Having sex is not beyond anyone's control. EVERYONE has the self control to at least keep themselves off some guy. Everyone has complete control over what they do. Yeah, sometimes people can be foolish, but they still had self control. It just means they didn't bother to use it.
LifeOnStandby
Motor Baby
LifeOnStandby
May 19th, 2007 at 08:33pm
I don't quite understand your point. First you say that unprotected and premaritial sex is wrong... and then you say using the pill is like abortion. Doesn't that rather tie in with using protected sex, so aren't you concluding that unprotected sex is also like an abortion. Meaning that if you have any type of protected sex you're killing a chance of life.

The arguement that everyone has complete control, isn't an arguement I don't think is fair. Often sex happens under circumstances that are uncomfortable, or hard; ESPECIALLY premarital sex. Alcohol, friends, popularity, loss...etc can be tied in with how you can do it.

I don't believe the Pill is killing anything, it's just a double check on making sure something doesn't happend that you don't want to happend.

When I first opened the topic, I thought the arguement was on rather or not the pill should be over the counter. Not if the pill is killing a chance of life, or should be used or not.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
May 19th, 2007 at 08:46pm
Hannah! : ... What about rape?

I think it should be available over-the-counter from, maybe, 15. Any younger than that, you'd need a confidential presciption from a doctor.

Or, silly idea but get a nurse in the GP's for the specific purpose of giving out contraception and Morning After Pills. Kinda like how in my family's GP there is a nurse who only deals with asthmatics. ( Here, Asthsma is abig issue with loads of people because of the kinda industrial areas around. It just seems to be round here a lot. )

I agree though, it's not going to make them start having unprotected sex - they're doing it already. I'm not Straight Edge or Religious, but I don't believe in pre-marital sex anyway - if you love anyone enough to have sex, you surely love them enough to get married.

But it's wrong if a doctor refuses to give out a Pill because they don't believe they should be needed.

Morning After Pills shouldn't be abused ( i.e. "Oh, have sex tonight, then go down the chemists in the morning for that darn pill." ), but they should be used if needed.

I personally believe if you're going to have sex before you're married, at least use protection.

That's my very warped view on things.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
May 19th, 2007 at 09:08pm
Hannah!:
Sorry, but I gotta say.. Having sex is not beyond anyone's control. EVERYONE has the self control to at least keep themselves off some guy. Everyone has complete control over what they do. Yeah, sometimes people can be foolish, but they still had self control. It just means they didn't bother to use it.

Probably should be in the rape thread, but whatever. I didn't bring it up.
So if some guy forces himself on you then it's your fault and in your control? If he has a gun to your head what are you supposed to do? Ask him to stop?
That is a completely ignorant statement.
My friend got pregnant by her rapist. Was that her fault?
persona non grata
Killjoy
persona non grata
May 19th, 2007 at 11:30pm
i definitely think that girls of any age should be able to get the morning after pill at the drugstore without a prescription. accidents happen. mistakes are made. things beyond a girl's control can be factors, such as getting drugged, raped, a condom breaking, or things like that. there are so many situations in which a girl could need the morning after pill other than just having unprotected sex consentually. i think that if a girl is responsible enough to want to get the morning after pill so that she can prevent an unwanted pregnancy, she should be able to have access to it, regardless of her age. hopefully this law will change soon, because if more people had access to it, a lot of unwanted and unplanned pregnancies could be prevented.