Don't have an account? Create one!

Screaming.

AuthorMessage
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
July 24th, 2007 at 05:59pm
um, well ive been trying to learn how to scream safely and well, but theres just wayyy too much info on other sites that just confuses me so much. so i was wondering if there were any more people on this site that are good at it, or are also trying to learn, that could give me a few tips. thanks
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
July 24th, 2007 at 09:04pm
Well, it's hard to explain. You just have to experiment until you find the right way of screaming for you. It's also probably easier for men though. :$
Kid Rock
Banned
Kid Rock
July 25th, 2007 at 05:34am
Are there any vocal exercises someone could do?
MissCandy!K
Salute You in Your Grave
MissCandy!K
July 25th, 2007 at 07:53pm
Basically the best thing to try is to get a low grumbling going in your throat and build it up from there. The scream itself really has to come just from your throat and not your stomach or it'll sound like a shout.

Hope I helped...
LifeOnStandby
Motor Baby
LifeOnStandby
July 25th, 2007 at 11:43pm
Advice: Record yourself. It may not come out so well... but you can get a slight idea of how your screams differ.
I don't do much screamo myself, but I can do medium-high pitch screams decently in bands.
(just a btw: I can't sing worth crap)
Bert McCookie.
Bleeding on the Floor
Bert McCookie.
July 28th, 2007 at 06:52am

Its hard to explain how to scream. :/
You just have to try it a lot of times.
It kinda depends on the kind of scream you wanna do too. If you trying to scream like Davey Havok from AFI, you kinda scream have from your throat and make a low sound. But if you wanna scream like Bert McCracken from The Used, the scream has to come from your stomach and you have to scream really loudly.
ALWAYS do warm ups before screaming.
also, try not to practice too much, because you'll end up losing your voice for a few days or puke.
ain't got no soul.
Salute You in Your Grave
ain't got no soul.
August 1st, 2007 at 09:20am
Ooh, I'm glad someone posted a thread on this, I need to learn too.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
August 1st, 2007 at 02:11pm
hey thanks people im really proud of my scream now! Very Happy i feel its a cross between Bert from the Used and Jay from BFMV Tehe thanks again, but keep this thread open fdor people like Buried in Bullets, there, who wanna learn too Very Happy
Annaundead;
Awake and Unafraid
Annaundead;
August 2nd, 2007 at 04:26pm
Basically you practise till it's sorted.
I might be screaming for KillJohnConnor if I go to the tryout and am good enough.

BTW. KillJohnConnor=europe tours.
genresR4losers
Motor Baby
genresR4losers
August 3rd, 2007 at 12:35am
i can't scream to save my life... actually, i can, i just can't get volume... oh, well, that's why there's a guy in my band with the sole purpose of screaming... kind of like underoath...
TheMysteriousThug
Joining The Black Parade
TheMysteriousThug
August 8th, 2007 at 09:42am
It took me a couple tries. And sometimes I still get off key. I'm starting to think the practicing is straining my voice.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
August 8th, 2007 at 04:24pm

I've never used it myself, but there's a DVD called Zen of Screaming made by this voice coach who taught Randy Blythe from Lamb of God and Angela Gossgow from Archenemy among others, I suppose you could start there. There's some clips of it on youtube, it seems very thorough.

billy gaga.
Salute You in Your Grave
billy gaga.
August 11th, 2007 at 11:24am
thanks Dimestore Saints;; , im gonna check that out myself Smile
theholly
Fabulous Killjoy
theholly
August 11th, 2007 at 03:02pm
Alex, I bet you know my advise. Dont do it at all =] Heh.
Miss Zacky Vengeance
Joining The Black Parade
Miss Zacky Vengeance
August 13th, 2007 at 02:22am
ooooooo if you ever find you have major voice crack and other shit when you scream try drinking lemon/ lime juice.....it works :}
Blood.
Killjoy
Blood.
August 14th, 2007 at 12:53pm
Its easy once you can do it... I've generally just gotten used to it... But I can scream better than most of my screamy friends...
(Make sure people arent home) Listen to some sceamy music... Turn it right up... And practise along side it until you've got it...
Then try without the music.

Honestly it works.
Sympathy
Jazz Hands
Sympathy
August 14th, 2007 at 12:59pm
Is it possible for everyone to scream, or can some people (or just aren't mean to) not scream? Like properly...
dont.stop.if.i.fall.
Killjoy
dont.stop.if.i.fall.
August 21st, 2007 at 01:37am
It's really difficult for some people to scream; just throwing that out there. But to perfect it, it takes a whole lot of practice. It took me a few weeks (I'd like to say about 5?) to finally be able to scream with out blowing my vocal chords out. Once you get it though, it's a piece o' cake Smile I'm prolly the best at low screams and growls XD I don't know why though...
pfft. its hannah.
Killjoy
pfft. its hannah.
August 21st, 2007 at 11:46pm
I want to learn to scream sooo badly, so that I can scream with Alesana.
The only time I've tried it, I just sounded like a dying animal.
When my friend tried pig-squealing, she sounded like a demented bunny on speed.
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
August 23rd, 2007 at 06:37pm
i scream pretty well, i scream like Bert McCracken from The Used... i generally sing in his vocal range. i just dont know where the fuck i can practice it. x_x!!!

my vocal range is..

E - G#5

...i think o.o