September 22nd, 2007 - Gerard says that "Emo is a pile of sh*t"

AuthorMessage
CAcT '-.-' tux
Salute You in Your Grave
CAcT '-.-' tux
September 23rd, 2007 at 02:09am
Pixie-Gates:
He's scary when he's angry...

I think it needed to be said though. I'm blue in the face trying to persuade people that there is no such thing as an emo subgenre or music. It's a byword used to describe pop rock by people who don't like it. Anything that isn't Metallica or Slayer is more or less dismissed as emo. How can that be a legitimate genre?

Whatever. Metal elitists piss me off, even if I can be one of them...occasionally.

i've been doing what you've been doing. When my friends say, emo this emo that...i always reply with 'well, what you'd CALL emo...' & exactly, 'emo' is not even a musical style. If people want to use the word 'emo' they should use it to describe lyrics or the way of dress. And anyway, you can label any sad or emotional song as 'emo'. Why don't people just call music 'punk', 'hardcore', 'post-punk', 'metal' etc etc?

to use 'emo' to describe MCR's musical style is the most inaccurate thing to do. Even till now, I can't make out what musical style MCR is because they are so creative in the intruments & vocals, it's so different from song to song.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
September 23rd, 2007 at 02:11am
Pixie-Gates:
I think it needed to be said though. I'm blue in the face trying to persuade people that there is no such thing as an emo subgenre or music. It's a byword used to describe pop rock by people who don't like it.
Emo is actually a genre of music.

Circle Takes the Square, Rites Of Spring, and Fugazi are all examples.
Problematique
Bleeding on the Floor
Problematique
September 23rd, 2007 at 02:16am
Those bands were the first emo-bands, and that's what ppl call REAL emo music (or at least people who know what emo is".
Nowadays everything is emo. If a song includes a lyric about feeling down and cry, its emo. 3 years ago when Green Day came out with American Idiot people called it punkrock. Now some people even call Green Day emo.

Emo is the new Pop.
No
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
September 23rd, 2007 at 02:34am
well really i would get pissed too.
cause this is what gerard says
*One: Im not emo,nore do i have an emo band
*Two:I dont promote self harm and Suicide
*Three:I always tell the media the band saves lives not ruin them
and yet after he says this everyone mixes up his words
so gerard has a right to get pissed cause everything he's saying is getting mixed up.
so put yourself in gerards shoes and imagine yourself saying all the good things but when they reach the tv shows, and the interviews those great words are mixed around to make those great words into something there not.
Problematique
Bleeding on the Floor
Problematique
September 23rd, 2007 at 02:36am
xMyBlackDaliahx:
so gerard has a right to get pissed cause everything he's saying is getting mixed up.
so put yourself in gerards shoes and imagine yourself saying all the good things but when they reach the tv shows, and the interviews those great words are mixed around to make those great words into something there not.

Word.
CAcT '-.-' tux
Salute You in Your Grave
CAcT '-.-' tux
September 23rd, 2007 at 04:53am
Gerard McCracken.:
Pixie-Gates:
I think it needed to be said though. I'm blue in the face trying to persuade people that there is no such thing as an emo subgenre or music. It's a byword used to describe pop rock by people who don't like it.
Emo is actually a genre of music.

Circle Takes the Square, Rites Of Spring, and Fugazi are all examples.

that's right, but when people use 'emo' nowdays they're not talking about that stuff. I don't think most people know that emo was once a musical genre. So there's no point describing music using 'emo' at the present day & age.
ShippinaWolfOfFire
Killjoy
ShippinaWolfOfFire
September 23rd, 2007 at 07:09am
Sadly dispite what Gerard says people who commented the artical on the website itself still continue to assume MCR being emo....was emo even considered a genre of music when they started out?
sonic death riot
Killjoy
sonic death riot
September 23rd, 2007 at 07:48am
To quote other musicians with a similar response:

Panic! at the Disco in an interview with absolutepunk.net

Do you feel that Brendon’s comment to MTV about emo being bullshit has alienated any of your fans who are told by the media outlets that you’re an “emo” band?

Brendon: It was NME, not MTV. NME thrives on beef. The writer spent two days with us trying to get us to talk shit about My Chem, the Killers and Fall Out Boy and what he got out of us was a quote taken out of context.

Spencer: I would hope that if someone likes our band that likes emo, they would continue to like us even if we don’t consider ourselves emo. Brendon didn’t mean emo bands are bullshit, he meant emo is a bullshit term because its so vague. Particularly in the UK, it’s used to describe too many types of bands. It’s not like Underoath and Hello Goodbye sound even remotely similar, yet they’re both called emo.

Link

the term itself is vague, like Spencer said, and no one really knows what it means. "emo" to some is offensive, to others it's a banner they wave to flaunt their independence and so-called "alternative" tastes, and to others it's ammunition to label and mock with.

in other words: it's bullshit. people need to get past it and start focusing on employing something remotely of substance when describing MCR. journalists and non-believers of MCR alike need to expand their vocabularies.

it's sad that Gerard has to even waste his TIME answering to ridiculous questions like this, and take away from answering questions that are relevent and convey the message of the band, something that matters to the true fans.
littlejeka
Generation Nothing
littlejeka
September 23rd, 2007 at 09:03am
I agree with Gerard. Very Happy
They are not emo. And I'm glad he said something about it. It gets quite tiring when someone repeats that they are. Being "emo" is such a lame trend these days. Everyone is doing it.
Nerual
Bleeding on the Floor
Nerual
September 23rd, 2007 at 09:45am
I'm glad he spoke out about it. I really am.

But there's still gonna be the idiots that think because he's trying to deny it so much that he is emo.

It's stupid. And media is stupid.

CHROMATOSE:

Brendon: It was NME, not MTV. NME thrives on beef. The writer spent two days with us trying to get us to talk shit about My Chem, the Killers and Fall Out Boy and what he got out of us was a quote taken out of context.

As I said. Media is stupid. Always trying to get an epic war to start between everyone.
ThisWarIsOurs
Motor Baby
ThisWarIsOurs
September 23rd, 2007 at 06:28pm
I 100% agree!!!

oh yeah! i just thought, emo means emotional, so we all must be 'emo' because we all show some sought of emotion!

But anyway, i agree with Gerard and everyone on here!!
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
September 23rd, 2007 at 07:12pm
ShippinaWolfOfFire:
Sadly dispite what Gerard says people who commented the artical on the website itself still continue to assume MCR being emo....was emo even considered a genre of music when they started out?
Yes, but it never described them. Emo has been out for a while now.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
September 23rd, 2007 at 07:15pm
Famous_last_wordz:
oh yeah! i just thought, emo means emotional, so we all must be 'emo' because we all show some sought of emotion!
Emo doesn't mean emotional. It means emotional hardcore. Emo does not describe a person, nor does it describe the way someone acts or dresses (cutting, sidebang hair, etc...).
ThisWarIsOurs
Motor Baby
ThisWarIsOurs
September 23rd, 2007 at 07:18pm
^ ooo i know that, i just meant to say that thats how some idiots decribe emo at my school so i kinda go at them with a comeback of that and they shut up!
i should have said what i meant more clearly! sorry!!!
hug *GO GEE*
Problematique
Bleeding on the Floor
Problematique
September 23rd, 2007 at 08:31pm
Gerard McCracken.:
Emo doesn't mean emotional. It means emotional hardcore. Emo does not describe a person, nor does it describe the way someone acts or dresses (cutting, sidebang hair, etc...).

Yeah I agree.
But nowadays everyone use the term "emo" on everything, from clothes to behaviour. And the bands that were punkrock and poppunk 2-3 years ago is now called emo. Hellogoodbye is emo, MCR is emo, Green Day is emo. and those bands doesn't even sound the same!

I think that the term "emo" is pretty stupid. From the beginning it stood for emotional hardcore, but as I said everything is changed today just because of the media. Today emo stands for "emotional" and thats a pretty stupid cathegory for music and humans. 99.99% of all music that excist is made from feelings and emotions, and there isn't even one person that isn't emotional.
Bullet.
Salute You in Your Grave
Bullet.
September 23rd, 2007 at 09:16pm
Who cares?

He's entitled to his own opinion, but because his famous everyones like "oh my god, how can he say that?"

If that's what he thinks, then fine.

We are all emo ... emotions ... Crying or Very sad Very Happy In Love

See?

I think I sound harsh ...
Embarassed
Wil Francis
Joining The Black Parade
Wil Francis
September 24th, 2007 at 02:08am
xMyBlackDaliahx:
you said it!
EviLsRoMaNcE
Banned
EviLsRoMaNcE
September 24th, 2007 at 04:48am
Emo's dead. I don't even know if there was an Emo to begin with. It's just a bunch of kids trying to fit in somewhere and now it's turned into a buzzword that's just overused and it makes absolutely no sense. If [Emo]tional is real, then everyone who's human is Emo. We all have emotions so we're all Emo. That basically gives the word absolutely no meaning whatsoever. It's a pile of shit, as Gerard said. People just need to grow a freaking brain.
pumpkinpiemuthafucka
Bleeding on the Floor
pumpkinpiemuthafucka
September 24th, 2007 at 12:50pm
Yeah i read it in the sun too...
wow Gerard,go for it,say what you think.
Its about time someone stood up and said what they think instead of just trying to please people all of the time.
X_heaven_help_me_X
Fabulous Killjoy
X_heaven_help_me_X
September 24th, 2007 at 08:47pm
I am in total agreement w/ Gerard and EviLsRoMaNcE. People use the term emo way to loosely these days. What started as a musical genre has sprouted into a lable/style/state-of-mind/whatever. Emo does not describe an individual! It's insane to call My Chemical Romance emo cause it's not true. They have been called emo since forever and if I were Gerard I'd be pissed to! My Chemical Romance is unique in that they don't conform or identify with any genre. And emo is just another word people use so that they fit in somewhere. Emo does not mean "emotional" thats retarded it means emotional-hardcore, which is completely and totaly different. And I agree with LiNE AND SiNKER;: emo is the new pop.