Don't have an account? Create one!

September 22nd, 2007 - Gerard says that "Emo is a pile of sh*t"

AuthorMessage
FAKE
Thinking Happy Thoughts
FAKE
November 2nd, 2007 at 10:10pm
xGerardifiedx:
well i respect gerard and all but what he said is a bit mean since im emo!! but i remain his fan and my respect for him has not swayed

your not 'emo' it is a type of music not a person, it was a name for bands like phantom planet etc which is now overused.

My view is why does it matter what he said in this particular interview because alot of the things bands say is bull shit.
He will end up contradicting himself soon.
Spencer Reid
Always Born a Crime
Spencer Reid
November 20th, 2007 at 04:10am
I agree with him.
Being put into some stereotypical group is just a bunch of bullshit.
And, it sucks when you're put into a group that is loathed, insulted, and looked down upon by people.
I'm not "emo", but people call me that and I tell them that branding people like that is just a load of bullshit.
TheMysteriousThug
Joining The Black Parade
TheMysteriousThug
November 20th, 2007 at 04:41am
The meaning of emo has become so interchangeable. It HAS NO MEANING ANYMORE. People should just let the word eventually die.
XxvampirepixiexX
Fabulous Killjoy
XxvampirepixiexX
November 21st, 2007 at 05:28pm
It's good to see him finally saying what is on his mind about "emo".
It shouldn't matter what "type" of music MCR is. All they wanted to do was save lives and make music.
That doesn't make them "emo" and I agree completly on what he said.
A bit harsh, but it get the message through to people.
Dee_mentia
Fabulous Killjoy
Dee_mentia
November 22nd, 2007 at 10:31am
Oh Frankie?!:
I agree with him.
Being put into some stereotypical group is just a bunch of bullshit.
And, it sucks when you're put into a group that is loathed, insulted, and looked down upon by people.
I'm not "emo", but people call me that and I tell them that branding people like that is just a load of bullshit.

Thank You.

Poor MCR, always being stereotyped by people who don't even give them a chance.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
November 22nd, 2007 at 07:21pm
TheMysteriousThug:
The meaning of emo has become so interchangeable. It HAS NO MEANING ANYMORE. People should just let the word eventually die.
No, the phrase shouldn't die, the mistaken meaning should be forgotten.

Phantom Planet isn't emo, either.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
November 24th, 2007 at 07:30pm
Empty Promises__xxx:
i actually haven't even been able to label them.

ha, i use what gerard used to say, "violent pop".

but at my school, i'm known as an indie kid (ugh, whatever, i just do what i want) because the only "emo" band i listen to is mcr. i like to correct them and remind them that the music is merely violent pop.

because in a way, it is.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
November 24th, 2007 at 07:35pm
oh, if anyone wants to look for other genre names (if you're wondering what your other bands are called), go to allmusic.com

they've also got a very long definition of what emo was considered and what it has evolved into, for anyone who is wondering what emo is. http://wc06.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:4525
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
November 24th, 2007 at 10:21pm
First off, would like to say that that's one of the best definitions of 'emo' I've ever read. The media and society in general have completely warped the word 'emo' into meaning 'a suicidal, wrist-slitting, depressed, whiny, self absorbed pansy', which is just so incredibly ignorant. I'll never understand stereotypes and why people waste so much time and energy hating people for the way they dress. I'm one of the kids who's defiantely considered emo and gets shouted at just for walking down a damn street, and it's just so ignorant.

I'm really glad Gerard's said something about 'emo'. It's bullshit, the whole label, and bands who consider themselves emo. They're [the bands who call themselves emo are] just making it worse by warping society's vision of 'emo' further. Those bands are more like MTVmo than anything.

"You pay attention at all to the media these days, you'll find, for some crazy fucked-up reason, you guys are at war for liking a certain kind of music; did you know that? I'm here to tell you guys today, that you guys and us, we're not fighting any bullshit fucking war, do you understand? Never in a milion years. But that doesn't mean that you should take anybody's shit for being who you are!" -- Gerard Way [House of Blues L.A. October 31st '06].
empires
Thinking Happy Thoughts
empires
November 27th, 2007 at 02:14am
I really do respect him for having the bravery to say that.
Emo isn't a person, it's a type of music. Usually, a good type of music, might I add.
emergencypatientxx
Fabulous Killjoy
emergencypatientxx
November 27th, 2007 at 06:48am
That actually gets me kind of angry. I liked Gerard for one reason because I thought he didnt care what people labeled them you know? It was like Oh finally a band that doesnt care what people label them and just do whatever they want.
That actually kind of dissapoints me.
But that's my view, very un-important.
empires
Thinking Happy Thoughts
empires
November 28th, 2007 at 12:42am
I think he meant 'emo' as in wanting to hurt yourself kind of music.
Like, songs about cutting. PROMOTING cutting, in that way.
Maybe. Anyone with me on this?
I'd get fed up if people kept calling my band 'emo.'
desert skies.
Shotgun Sinner
desert skies.
November 28th, 2007 at 02:54am
To be honest I agree with Gerard. I never understood how Emo can be a music label. I mean, I've never seen a music store with an "Emo" section.
My meaning of emo music is emotional music. And I believe that ALL music has some sort of emotion.
That's just what I go by.
NewHairSameShit.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
NewHairSameShit.
November 28th, 2007 at 03:25am
the ghost of you.:
First off, would like to say that that's one of the best definitions of 'emo' I've ever read. The media and society in general have completely warped the word 'emo' into meaning 'a suicidal, wrist-slitting, depressed, whiny, self absorbed pansy', which is just so incredibly ignorant. I'll never understand stereotypes and why people waste so much time and energy hating people for the way they dress. I'm one of the kids who's defiantely considered emo and gets shouted at just for walking down a damn street, and it's just so ignorant.

I'm really glad Gerard's said something about 'emo'. It's bullshit, the whole label, and bands who consider themselves emo. They're [the bands who call themselves emo are] just making it worse by warping society's vision of 'emo' further. Those bands are more like MTVmo than anything.

"You pay attention at all to the media these days, you'll find, for some crazy fucked-up reason, you guys are at war for liking a certain kind of music; did you know that? I'm here to tell you guys today, that you guys and us, we're not fighting any bullshit fucking war, do you understand? Never in a milion years. But that doesn't mean that you should take anybody's shit for being who you are!" -- Gerard Way [House of Blues L.A. October 31st '06].

Thaaaaank you. I am SICK of people calling me or MCR "emo." They don't even know what emo is! My Chem is deff. NOT. They have a message to get out to people, and it deff. isn't anything even CLOSE to what all the little MTVmo jacktards are saying. I'm sorry but this gets me so mad! And to anyone who is saying that Gerard is FINALLY speaking up about this "emo" thing, its not the first time he has mentioned emo being shit. Thank you all for listening to my mini-rant! <3
empires
Thinking Happy Thoughts
empires
November 28th, 2007 at 03:34am
PatronSaint:
To be honest I agree with Gerard. I never understood how Emo can be a music label. I mean, I've never seen a music store with an "Emo" section.
My meaning of emo music is emotional music. And I believe that ALL music has some sort of emotion.
That's just what I go by.

I agree.
desert skies.
Shotgun Sinner
desert skies.
November 28th, 2007 at 03:42am
I Love Turtles:
I agree.

Thank you Smile
The whole "Emo" thing was gotten way out of hand at my school. Everyone has stated calling eachother emo and saying that they listen to emo music. It's become the new major insult. It pisses me off.
empires
Thinking Happy Thoughts
empires
November 28th, 2007 at 03:53am
Patron_Saint:
I Love Turtles:
I agree.

Thank you Smile
The whole "Emo" thing was gotten way out of hand at my school. Everyone has stated calling eachother emo and saying that they listen to emo music. It's become the new major insult. It pisses me off.
Exactly.
There are quite the many at my school, but I laugh at them. x]
desert skies.
Shotgun Sinner
desert skies.
November 28th, 2007 at 03:56am
I Love Turtles:
Patron_Saint:
I Love Turtles:
I agree.

Thank you Smile
Exactly.
There are quite the many at my school, but I laugh at them. x]

At first I found it amusing but now it just gets on my nerves. I think my classmates need to grow up x]
Spencer Reid
Always Born a Crime
Spencer Reid
November 28th, 2007 at 04:40am
emergencypatientxx:
That actually gets me kind of angry. I liked Gerard for one reason because I thought he didnt care what people labeled them you know? It was like Oh finally a band that doesnt care what people label them and just do whatever they want.
That actually kind of dissapoints me.
But that's my view, very un-important.

He called it a pile of shit because he is against lables.
He might not care about being labled....but we do, and he knows it.
It's like when a mean child makes fun of another child and the mother tells the child that was made fun of that what the mean child says is not true and not to listen to the mean child.
Gerard is like the mother and we are the children.
I think he said that to make us feel better......not himself or the band.

Am I making any sense to anyone else?
Rose Red.
Jazz Hands
Rose Red.
November 28th, 2007 at 07:17am
Your making sense to me.