Don't have an account? Create one!

September 22nd, 2007 - Gerard says that "Emo is a pile of sh*t"

AuthorMessage
Carpe Noctum
Jazz Hands
Carpe Noctum
October 1st, 2007 at 12:55pm
im not ripping on Gerard, but i want all these rock stars to just STFU about emo.

wether he likes it or not, mcr shall always be called emo, if not by the majority, then at least by the minority.

mouthing off about it only serves to fuel the fire and makes him come across to the highly critical media as a whiny (hate-to-say-the-word) emo. *shudder*

emo, as in emotional hardcore is not bullshit, the mainsteam "lets wear black and cry to sell lots of records to impressionable teens" attititude is bullshit.

System of a Down have been called emo, so have mastodon. obviously neither are.

i dunno, im just tired of the whole subject really...
mychemicalsistem
Killjoy
mychemicalsistem
October 1st, 2007 at 06:16pm
OMG....jojo kasi no entendi..esta en ingles..solo ke gerard dijo ke el emo es shit!!!.jajaj mierda..siii
helena24
Fabulous Killjoy
helena24
October 1st, 2007 at 10:57pm
I don't think gerard's dissing the whole 'emotive hardcore' genre of music. I think he's lashing out at what emo has become, and it's become something that it's totally not what it was. I mean, that word has become so vague and twisted, people don't even know what it stands for anymore. All it's become is, 'OMG you listen to mcr, go and slit your wrists you emo' I mean wtf? And of course Gerard and the rest of the band just spent the last six years or so trying to get a good message out there to people and the media names them as a 'emo-death cult army'. Why wouldn't he be just a little pissed off.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
October 1st, 2007 at 11:48pm
Carpe Noctum:
im not ripping on Gerard, but i want all these rock stars to just STFU about emo.
He was asked about it. It's not like someone asks what the next album title is and he goes "ZOMG I DISLKE TEH EMOZ".
TheMysteriousThug
Joining The Black Parade
TheMysteriousThug
October 2nd, 2007 at 12:04am
I think he's just frustrated with them being categorized emo. Plus. They are good friends with TBS and TBS is like one of the emoest bands on earth( Don't get me wrong. I like them but a lot of songs of theirs are very hit and miss to my tastes)
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
October 2nd, 2007 at 12:13am
TheMysteriousThug:
I think he's just frustrated with them being categorized emo. Plus. They are good friends with TBS and TBS is like one of the emoest bands on earth( Don't get me wrong. I like them but a lot of songs of theirs are very hit and miss to my tastes)
TBS isn't emo. :/
TheMysteriousThug
Joining The Black Parade
TheMysteriousThug
October 2nd, 2007 at 01:58am
Well that's how I see them. Plus. Gerard is doing vocals for the new Say Anything album. And Max has said they consider themselves emo.
Nerual
Bleeding on the Floor
Nerual
October 3rd, 2007 at 11:35am
helena24:
I don't think gerard's dissing the whole 'emotive hardcore' genre of music. I think he's lashing out at what emo has become, and it's become something that it's totally not what it was. I mean, that word has become so vague and twisted, people don't even know what it stands for anymore. All it's become is, 'OMG you listen to mcr, go and slit your wrists you emo' I mean wtf? And of course Gerard and the rest of the band just spent the last six years or so trying to get a good message out there to people and the media names them as a 'emo-death cult army'. Why wouldn't he be just a little pissed off.

Exactly
MerciPourLeVenin_XXX
Really Not Okay
MerciPourLeVenin_XXX
October 3rd, 2007 at 04:00pm
i haven't ever thought of mcr as emo. i actually haven't even been able to label them. their music is like a mixture of things and when people ask me about it, i'm at a loss. a year or so ago a group of people in my class were talking about them and someone said ask olivia, she worships them. i was like wtf. and then this one kid goes isnt mcr emo? and i was like no. they're not. and these freaks tried to argue with me. i was like look up emo online. you'll see that they aren't even close to emo. basically i was hated for like a week because i backed my favorite band and didnt agree to what those kids thought was right. gerard has every right to lash out and talk crap about emo music. of course i guess i can say i do listen to it, but i dont think much about labels anymore. it is like he says a pile of bull crap.
scandalqueen
Killjoy
scandalqueen
October 4th, 2007 at 08:32pm
Hehehe... my sister's stepson once said "Owen Wilson is emo." and so I asked him what 'emo' was, because I don't think he knew what he was. And he said "it's anyone who cuts their wrists"... lol
Burning Friend
Banned
Burning Friend
October 5th, 2007 at 02:16am
I'm on the fence.I agree, because except for Bullets, their music doesn't fall under the genre of emotive/hardcore, also known as 'emo'. The original emo genre was stuff like Sunny Day Real Estate and The Get Up Kids, not Fall Out Boy and Panic! At the Disco. But trashing an entire genre (or two, actually) is out of line. No one will hate you if you don't care for emo music, but that's your opinion, and there's no reason to be an asshole about it.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
October 5th, 2007 at 03:17am
Bullets isn't considered emotive hardcore. None of MCR's stuff is.

Neither are the Get Up Kids
xGerardifiedx
Killjoy
xGerardifiedx
October 5th, 2007 at 07:11am
well i respect gerard and all but what he said is a bit mean since im emo!! but i remain his fan and my respect for him has not swayed
johnny walker eyes.
Demolition Lover
johnny walker eyes.
October 5th, 2007 at 11:49am

Dudes, hes fucking right.
Everything that he said is right.

If emo's take offence to it, then thats their fucking problem. Psh, its their problem for getting sucked into this 'bullshit'
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
October 5th, 2007 at 08:35pm
xGerardifiedx:
well i respect gerard and all but what he said is a bit mean since im emo!! but i remain his fan and my respect for him has not swayed
No you're not. ^.^
eepshyes
Shotgun Sinner
eepshyes
October 6th, 2007 at 04:43pm
Yay! Someone finally said it!
I think he really means that emo is a pile of shit. He actually thinks that, no matter how much you hate to think he has opinions that differ from yours.
He said in another interview that "Emo hasn't affected the world like, say, grunge has. It's dead."
...or something along those lines. -finds link- Here.
At around 3:30.

So I was a little off. XD
dreamerforever
Salute You in Your Grave
dreamerforever
October 6th, 2007 at 09:24pm
Carpe Noctum:

wether he likes it or not, mcr shall always be called emo, if not by the majority, then at least by the minority.

mouthing off about it only serves to fuel the fire and makes him come across to the highly critical media as a whiny (hate-to-say-the-word) emo. *shudder*

emo, as in emotional hardcore is not bullshit, the mainsteam "lets wear black and cry to sell lots of records to impressionable teens" attititude is bullshit.

System of a Down have been called emo, so have mastodon. obviously neither are.

i dunno, im just tired of the whole subject really...

so am i. the emo talk is so obnoxious. Rolling Eyes
Morreh the Animal
Joining The Black Parade
Morreh the Animal
October 7th, 2007 at 12:21pm
rofl, I love that quote.
My friend who hates them now has respect for Gee after that.
Morgaine.
Jazz Hands
Morgaine.
October 12th, 2007 at 09:02pm
Whatever.... it's not important if some other hardcore rock dude said it no-one would care.....it doesn't matter if he doesn't like it, I don't either, it's just an opinion. If someone asks your opinion you give it to them right?
Nerual
Bleeding on the Floor
Nerual
October 13th, 2007 at 10:46am
^^Exactly! It shouldn't be as much of a big deal as people make it out to be. But all the "emos" get upset, the haters do some more bashing and the cycle continues. It's stupid.