Don't have an account? Create one!

September 22nd, 2007 - Gerard says that "Emo is a pile of sh*t"

AuthorMessage
MyChildishRomance
Killjoy
MyChildishRomance
December 16th, 2007 at 05:58pm
Don't know if this has been said but I always thought the term 'emo' meant emotional. So I always thought it was emotional music. I tend to ignore people who call me emo at school, because really what is it? Just because I listen to better music then them doesn't mean much, but whats the difference between whatever 'EMO' band and one republic/timbalands 'Apologise' which is about suicide and everybody LOVES that song, but it's just not emo? So can someone tell me what the difference is? Because clearly there is, and I have missed it....

and I agree with Gee on what he says about the label...but most mainstream emo bands aren't as great as they seem... I always thought of MCR as punk/alternate rock on the sort of stream...not emo.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
December 16th, 2007 at 06:01pm
MyChildishRomance:
Don't know if this has been said but I always thought the term 'emo' meant emotional. So I always thought it was emotional music. I tend to ignore people who call me emo at school, because really what is it? Just because I listen to better music then them doesn't mean much, but whats the difference between whatever 'EMO' band and one republic/timbalands 'Apologise' which is about suicide and everybody LOVES that song, but it's just not emo? So can someone tell me what the difference is? Because clearly there is, and I have missed it....

and I agree with Gee on what he says about the label...but most mainstream emo bands aren't as great as they seem... I always thought of MCR as punk/alternate rock on the sort of stream...not emo.
Gerard McCracken.:
Emo doesn't mean emotional. It means emotional hardcore. Emo does not describe a person, nor does it describe the way someone acts or dresses (cutting, sidebang hair, etc...). Emo is actually a genre of music.

Circle Takes the Square, Rites Of Spring, and Fugazi are all examples.
Craig Owens
Bleeding on the Floor
Craig Owens
December 16th, 2007 at 06:20pm
MyChildishRomance:
So can someone tell me what the difference is? Because clearly there is, and I have missed it....

Matt C.:
And for whoever asked what classifies a band as emo: it's mainly a metal influence, insightful lyrics, and the singer uses his/her voice as an instrument through screaming, whispering, talking, singing, other noises, etc. For example, Circle Takes The Square is a modern day emo band. Fall Out Boy, Gym Class Heros, Panic! At The Disco are NOT emo, at all.

Emo = Emotional hardcore.
luifiguerau
Killjoy
luifiguerau
December 17th, 2007 at 09:55am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvDZOMLlb9c
Donald Trefusis
In The Murder Scene
Donald Trefusis
December 19th, 2007 at 04:02pm
I'd say he means the stereotype. Not the people. Wink
Jax1992
Killjoy
Jax1992
December 25th, 2007 at 12:04am
Emo -is- a pile of shit.
Imho, anyone who claims to be 'emo' is a poser.
AAAU
Joining The Black Parade
AAAU
December 25th, 2007 at 03:04pm
^^can't say i disagree.
"emo" is a meaningless, made-up sub culture, made up by people who dont know what they are proclaiming, but only know that they want to fit in with a certain group of other people.
a lot of the time it's defined by meaningless things like a person's hair cut, but truely, it has no real definition.
i dont understand what a person claiming to be "emo" thinks they are saying about themselves.
Paint It Black
Bulletproof Heart
Paint It Black
December 25th, 2007 at 05:16pm
Rose Red.:
I saw this interview (I can't remember the name of the show) and the interviewer asked Gerard about the whole emo is shit line. Gee pretty much explained that he meant the "jeans and a haircut" and how scene it's become, not what it was back when he was growing up.

I heard that too. He explained really well that emo isn't what it used to be, because it has now turned into something that it is all about clothes and hair, and that it is not good.I guess that's pretty much what Rose Red just sad xD
art star.
Demolition Lover
art star.
December 26th, 2007 at 09:11am
"Emo" is just a fad.
Most likely it'll just fade away like the others.

But I would like to thank Gerard for saying that.
ForgottenxTeenager45
Fabulous Killjoy
ForgottenxTeenager45
December 26th, 2007 at 08:33pm
OK when i say this i say it from the heart i LOVE My Chemical Romance, there the best , saved my life, but , wow saying that is so mean, people getting called emo is shit but "emo" is NOT shit i know some great emo people and if they ment is they can shove it up there fucking asses, but i still love them, love them,
L-O-V-E T-H-E-M
F'n'stein xo
Salute You in Your Grave
F'n'stein xo
December 26th, 2007 at 08:56pm
XxD3LAN3YxX:
OK when i say this i say it from the heart i LOVE My Chemical Romance, there the best , saved my life, but , wow saying that is so mean, people getting called emo is shit but "emo" is NOT shit i know some great emo people and if they ment is they can shove it up there fucking asses, but i still love them, love them,
L-O-V-E T-H-E-M

emo is a music genre not a word to describe a clothing style or a person. That's what he meant. the word is being used out of context to describe every rock band that's out.MCR is catergorized with other bands as emo and these other bands are nothing alike musically compare to mcr nor do any of these bands or mcr come close to being emo.
desert skies.
Shotgun Sinner
desert skies.
December 26th, 2007 at 10:30pm
I Killed Hannah.:
"Emo" is just a fad.
Most likely it'll just fade away like the others.

You're probably right there.
TheMysteriousThug
Joining The Black Parade
TheMysteriousThug
December 27th, 2007 at 04:31am
Emo isn't a fad. Since emo really started out as an expansion to punk with a slight emotional twist. The emo that we know now is a fad though.
Gerard Way's Angel
Salute You in Your Grave
Gerard Way's Angel
December 27th, 2007 at 05:08am
Mind Self Indulgence:
im with gerard

Me To
little monster.
Full of Ephedrine
little monster.
December 27th, 2007 at 05:23am
I'm with Gerard. And UG readers are wrong to vote for them as worst band because Gerard said this. It's still about the music isn't it? Sometimes I think people are forgetting this. Who knows better than the people who make the music if it's emo or not?
If I could I would rip all the labels off and throw them in a fire. Labels ARE shit.
Murderscene.
Fabulous Killjoy
Murderscene.
December 27th, 2007 at 05:25am
Gerard Way's Angel:
Mind Self Indulgence:
im with gerard

Me To

me three!

and i think he was dissing the whole emo thing. yes, the so called emos too.
i really admire him for saying that seeing as a lot of the fans call themselves emo.
i don't know what emo used to be but i don't really care either because it doesn't exist anymore. the whole trend thing killed it, so him dissing whatever this emo shit is today is totally understandable.
Murderscene.
Fabulous Killjoy
Murderscene.
December 27th, 2007 at 05:25am
Frozen Rain.:
I'm with Gerard. And UG readers are wrong to vote for them as worst band because Gerard said this. It's still about the music isn't it? Sometimes I think people are forgetting this. Who knows better than the people who make the music if it's emo or not?
If I could I would rip all the labels off and throw them in a fire. Labels ARE shit.

Clap Clap Clap
art star.
Demolition Lover
art star.
December 29th, 2007 at 04:31am
TheMysteriousThug:
The emo that we know now is a fad though.

That's what I'm talking about.
That emo is pile of shit.
Eclipse
Killjoy
Eclipse
December 30th, 2007 at 10:38pm
EMO=Emotional Music?!

If that's the case, would this be considered old-school Emo?! (LOL)

Battery Acid
Salute You in Your Grave
Battery Acid
January 6th, 2008 at 03:23pm
mikey_way_love_033:
Emo is a pile of shit. And I hate when people say gerard is emo.

AMEN!! Ugh, I hate when my shallow peers label me as 'emo'. I am me. I think it's the same case with Gerard.

Only kids who are too embarrassed of and/or lacking a personality that they paint their hair/fingernails/faces black and dress like idiots to stand out can be labeled as 'emo'. Begging to be noticed, even if others reactions are negative.

I am soo much deeper than that, and so is Gerard.