Don't have an account? Create one!

Teenage marriage/engagement

AuthorMessage
Becky
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Becky
November 27th, 2007 at 02:37am
well,its kind of hard to figure out!every individual is different and that goes for their state of mind also.There are kids that are 16 and act like they are mature adults and there are others that are the complete opposite!I think that falling in love when you are young is possible but will it last is the real question!im 15 and i fell i love with this guy who i thought was amazing and it was preety serious!but then he broke up with me after a year and a month!and to tell you the truth if i was given the oppotunity to marry him i would have but how would that have turned out!but i think that if they think that it will work then they should but if does not then just learn from it!but they also have to consider their future and what their parents think becaue they are under aged and at least where im from they have to sign you the right to be able to get married.sorry i wrote so much i just find the topic interesting to talk about!=]
miidnight.lauRawR
Killjoy
miidnight.lauRawR
November 27th, 2007 at 11:57pm
The main problem with teenage marriage is that they dont realize that there is a difference between seeing each other every day, and living together.
They may believe that they are in love, and they may think the world of each other, but if they haven't lived together, then they have no idea of what to expect.
Teenagers who get married will also discover money problems, which leads to arguments etc.
I'm not saying that it isn't possible, because it is, and there will always be those people who will last forever, and who are truly meant for each other.
I think that if they know what to expect,and the things they will have to learn to deal with, then it is fine.
Maturity also comes into it, if they aren't mature, forget about it. Marriage is a commitment, and the people who enter into it need to realise the responsibilities they will have.

Could probably write more,
Don't want to bore people though.

=]
Sonnet 130
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sonnet 130
November 28th, 2007 at 01:42pm
Thank you all so far for your opinions and please keep them coming.
Some think that you have to live with someone before getting married so should teenagers be allowed to get a flat together before they get married?
miidnight.lauRawR
Killjoy
miidnight.lauRawR
November 30th, 2007 at 07:39pm
again the money issue,
unless they have stable jobs, they are never going to be able to afford flatting together, and it would come under the parents responsibilities, which would make it even clearer why they shouldnt.
once married they will want to live together- where? how would they manage it, especially if they still go to school?
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
December 2nd, 2007 at 10:04pm

If 16 is the legal age to have sex, who says it shouldn't be legal to have sex at that age? If you are a teenager and have been with your partner a while, you know when it feels right. As long as no one feels pressured into marry someone they are not in love with.

The only people that can declare love are the people in the relationship. I don't think it's right that everyone judges love, if you are in it, you know how it feels. I know some teenagers don't know how they feel but that is true for some adults. If there is no doubt in your mind that you will stay together and have considered how hard it would be, then it is completely up to you.

Teenagers marry for the same reason adults do. A lot of time, people believe their relationship will survive. If it is really love, they may ask, 'Why should I wait?'. At the end of the day, as an adult, you want to marry and express your love for the other person. As a teenager, you want the same.

Parents should judge depending on how they feel the couple are. If they feel they are right together, in love and are mature enough for marriage.

I think 16 is a fine age for marriage as long as both indivuals conset and know what is involved. They also both have to realise that marriage means forever. Even when the fairytale ends.
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
December 5th, 2007 at 05:40pm
okay great topic
well i suppose that if your a teen and in your family its a tradition
to get married young then its fine to a limit. cause then again the person
has to choose when they want to be married. If your being forced
to get married at a young age that is very hypocrital of the parents to
force you to get married (unless that is you do actually want to get married)
i think that if your in a good relationship both familys agree on the
situation and you have everything planned out then is totally fine
but if your in a situation where your in love wanna get married have
nothing planned out. Dont know what your going to do
both famliys dont agree
best thing to do then is to wait till the legal age to be married or wait
till your older
JadeTiger712
Motor Baby
JadeTiger712
December 5th, 2007 at 06:46pm
Do you think that it is right for people of the age of sixteen to get married? For the most part I don't agree with it.

Are they too young? Yes, I think they are too young because at that age you are still changing. Heck I'm 17 and still changing

Do they know what love is? I think they believe they know what love is, but mostly it is the fake fairytale love they see on tv and movies

What are the issues involved in these marriages? That the people who get married at a young age are still growing. What might seem right one week is totally wrong the next. Also, most of them don't understand all the responsibilities that come with marriage.

Should parents let them? Ehhhh, some parents just don't get it. I just depends on what the parents think is right.

At what age is it acceptable for young people get married? Maybe at 18, but I think 20 would be a better age.
Hullo sunshine
Killjoy
Hullo sunshine
January 20th, 2009 at 12:51pm
You have the rest of your life to get married and only a short time to be a teenager.
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
January 23rd, 2009 at 05:44am
I'm sure if teenagers decide to get married they could. I'm quiet sure that they would've thought it over before.
And isn't marrying the last things teens would think of?
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
January 23rd, 2009 at 09:38am
tear:
I'm sure if teenagers decide to get married they could. And isn't marrying the last things teens would think of?
Not in the U.S. they can't. As to your question, apparently not.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
January 26th, 2009 at 04:10pm
Just a question, Is it legal to be engaged as a young teen? As long as the marriage isnt untill later on?
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
January 27th, 2009 at 09:30am
^ Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are no legalities concerning engagement as it is not a tying contract.
Day Of The Dead
Salute You in Your Grave
Day Of The Dead
January 29th, 2009 at 03:50pm
I think it's really up to the individuals.
If they are in a really serious, strong, close relationship and have been for some time, I don't see anything wrong with it.

But then again, there is all the money issues that are involved =/ but I think people know when it feels right.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
January 30th, 2009 at 02:55pm
For most people, 18 is not a good age to marry for the reasons many people above have said, and for the ones that are ready, if they love each other enough, and stay together, then they should be able to wait until they are of legal age.
As for a legally binding marriage, do teengagers really need the tax, employment, and insurance benefits offered to married couples? There simply isn't as much reason to marry as a teenager as there is as an adult outside love.
Sid
Salute You in Your Grave
Sid
February 4th, 2009 at 09:32pm
I think in the UK you can get married at 16 if you have parental permission. Although that might be wrong.

I just find it crazy that my mum got married when she was my age o.O
ChildVision
Really Not Okay
ChildVision
February 7th, 2009 at 10:55pm
genresR4losers:

teen marriage usually doesn't work for the people that participate in it... as a matter of fact, research has shown that about half of the teens that get married end up in divorce.

Yeah, but thats not just teenagers, thats everyone.
ChildVision
Really Not Okay
ChildVision
February 7th, 2009 at 10:55pm
genresR4losers:

teen marriage usually doesn't work for the people that participate in it... as a matter of fact, research has shown that about half of the teens that get married end up in divorce.

ChildVision
Really Not Okay
ChildVision
February 7th, 2009 at 10:56pm
genresR4losers:

ChildVision
Really Not Okay
ChildVision
February 7th, 2009 at 10:56pm
genresR4losers:

Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
February 8th, 2009 at 04:23pm
I know this from experience, but when your a teenager, one minute your claiming to be in mad love with someon then the next, you two are falling out of it with each other. In other times and even some countries today, you get married off young and you aren't married just for love.

So which brings me back to my piont, in teenage years, everything is unstable, so really to build a family and stay with each other for forever, that is way to much plans and stuff.

If someone gets married at 16 and they make it work, power to them and I hope they are happy, but honestly, I think it is better to go out and live and stuff then concern yourself with that stuff. Or maybe like if you found your perfect partner, wait to get married, so then you know for sure its what you want to do.

I think it's sad how marriage is just so carelessly thrown around, not just be teenagers but by alot of people