Don't have an account? Create one!

Teenage marriage/engagement

AuthorMessage
Sonnet 130
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sonnet 130
November 20th, 2007 at 07:18pm
I searched for this topic and didn't find one and sorry if this should have gone in arranged marriages.

Do you think that it is right for people of the age of sixteen to get married?
Are they too young?
Do they know what love is?
What are the issues involved in these marriages?
Why do teenagers get married at a young age?
Should parents let them?
At what age is it acceptable for young people get married?

if you think it's okay then please explain why?
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
November 20th, 2007 at 07:33pm
i guess it up the the person. i think FORCED is wrong. and that its wrong that their religion sometimes forces this but we wont go into that.

its everyones own personal preference and their OWN mistakes. its like is it wrong for a child to start to want to wear bras. they dont need it but they want to. like you dont need marriage in my opinoin but.

everyones own choice is their own and if its a mistake later on it is.
Girl Anachronism
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Girl Anachronism
November 20th, 2007 at 08:33pm
Do you think that it is right for people of the age of sixteen to get married? --- I don't really see why not. If they think they are mature enough to get married, it's their decision.

Are they too young? --- I'd think yes, but really, age shouldn't matter. If you honestly believe your in love with someone enough to marry them, then okay. But not forced marriages, forced is just wrong and you never know what could happen.

Do they know what love is? --- No one truly knows what love is. For everyone it's different.... it's a feeling. And considering a 16 year old can feel, who's to say they're not in love besides the ones in it???

What are the issues involved in these marriages? --- Well, it's a life long commitment. 16 is pretty young, haven't really lived much of a life, or at least a completely free one yet considering they probably still live with their parents. So to do something like that so young, who's to say that feeling might not change, and they stop loving that person, and then have to deal with a big divorce issue.

Should parents let them? --- If they truly know their child is in love and it isn't just a 'fling' then, okay. But I can see why parents won't let them, they probably don't even know what they want to be when they grow up, they're just really discovering themselves, and not even done with school yet. I guess I'm sort of in between on this.

At what age is it acceptable for young people get married? --- 18. Your legally an adult and at least maybe by then you'll know what you actually want out of life.
jjamess
Killjoy
jjamess
November 20th, 2007 at 09:44pm
- Well, I think that it's totally up the person. Yeah, if the person is mentally
stable and ready to control his/her life on her/his own even that she/he has a husband/wife.
Are they too young?
- Uhh, I'd almost once again say that it's up the person's act.
- Up the person once again. But most of the teenagers, in fact, don't know.
- Maybe the fact that the couple may not know each-other so well, and the money
is always a problem.
- They think that they're in love, and that they've met the one, that they
may not have a second chance.
Should parents let them?
- Once again it depends on the person. If you're a good parent, you do
everything just to keep your child safe and happy.
- 18 would be the best maybe. Because yes, you're an adult then.

Just my opinions : )
genresR4losers
Motor Baby
genresR4losers
November 21st, 2007 at 04:54am

teen marriage usually doesn't work for the people that participate in it... as a matter of fact, research has shown that about half of the teens that get married end up in divorce.

but personally, i think that if the love is there now, it will be there in a few years when both parties are more established... if it's true. but, i also don't think that anyone has the right to tell another that they can't express the love they have for another person.

btw... while we're on this subject, to tie it into another politically heated subject, what about gay marriage? should gay teens be given the same consideration as straight teens? i know that it's not really discussed that much in main stream society, but while we're on the topic, i thought i might throw that out there...
Emsky-P
Killjoy
Emsky-P
November 21st, 2007 at 04:55pm
like ppl have said no1 really knows what love is so how can we say you have to be a certain age to experience it? i do believe that you can truely love someone at 16, but can you say it cud last forever, why rush into marriage, have fun have a life. who needs the money worries at that age anyways?? im not saying it should never happen just sayin it should be seriously thought about!!

As for gay marriage, theres nothing wrong with been gay and wanting to spend your life wid sum, but same goes if you love someone why rush it, be young be stupid, have fun while you can, before you have too much responsibility.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
November 21st, 2007 at 07:05pm
This is already being discussed in the topic Underage Engagement/Marriage I think...
he-paints-me-blue
Killjoy
he-paints-me-blue
November 22nd, 2007 at 05:05am
I'm sorry to be such a downer on love, but I don't really believe a sixteen year old should get married. I'm not saying sixteen-years-olds aren't capable of love, don't get me wrong. But don't get carried away by sappy romance novels (although I admit to have read a few *ahem*). They lie. If you think about it logically, Love is NOT enough to sustain a marriage.

You can't really know a person until you love with them. Emotions can cloud judgement, and I've seen it happen numerous times.

I'm not saying that in a rare occurrence that it couldn't work, but reality speaks for itself. All you have to do is open your eyes.

Er, right. I have issues with love at the moment, so feel free to ignore me if you want to.
Naomi-Rose
Killjoy
Naomi-Rose
November 22nd, 2007 at 11:39am
I think if the two people honestly think it's going to work
then it's okay

But I personally don't think you can be 100% in love when you're so young without having some sort of experience first (I'm talking about the 16 year olds who get engaged with their first bf/gf after a few months)
Caramarillia
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Caramarillia
November 22nd, 2007 at 12:54pm
- Well I know that I wasn't ready. But people could be ready to marry. But they haven't reached the legal age yet to get married and they have to have permission by the 'state' and the parents from both sides.
Are they too young?
- I'd say they are too young.
- They might and yet no.
- they're too young. They know nothing of how to live together with some one that isn't ones parent. Some girls might not even have been able to take care of themselves and expect the guy to do it.
- I know a girl. She got pregnant with her cheating boyfriend. She was 16 and gave birth as a 17 year old. She got married to her bf because she is really christian and didn't want her child born outside of marriage. They're divorced now (he was a cheating bastard. He even tried getting with her sister)
Should parents let them?
- that really depends on the situation. Parents should put their feet down and say, hold it. are you sure this is a good thing?
- 18 - that's the legal age, even though it's still quite young.
Sonnet 130
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sonnet 130
November 22nd, 2007 at 06:32pm
Emsky-P:
like ppl have said no1 really knows what love is so how can we say you have to be a certain age to experience it? i do believe that you can truely love someone at 16, but can you say it cud last forever, why rush into marriage, have fun have a life. who needs the money worries at that age anyways?? im not saying it should never happen just sayin it should be seriously thought about!!

As for gay marriage, theres nothing wrong with been gay and wanting to spend your life wid sum, but same goes if you love someone why rush it, be young be stupid, have fun while you can, before you have too much responsibility.

Could i just say that it clearly states in the INO "rules" if that's what you want to call them that you write not in "text" and use proper grammar.
I know your new and sorry if i have offended you.
You could go on the newbie bit to get a little help if your not clear on things and would like to make new friends.

An as for gay teen marriages, i think that they should be treat the same as straight teenage marriages. It's also not could a marriage because the Bible disagrees with "gays", but you think about it your traditionally suppose to get married in a church and lots of people don't, so why can't it be called a marriage?
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
November 23rd, 2007 at 08:13pm
i think that teens are way to young to be married, we have the rest of our lives ahead of us and i dont think that we're to young to know what love is, we're just to young to understand it.
Braaains.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Braaains.
November 24th, 2007 at 05:34pm
i think teenagers should not get married that young. If it was true love then they can wait until they are more mature to marry because the person they love will wait
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
November 24th, 2007 at 09:09pm
^ see and thats the other thing, as teenagers, we arent mature yet, and as we mature then we may see that the person we said we loved, isnt the same person any more because you both grew up. so just wait.
our avenged tania.
Always Born a Crime
our avenged tania.
November 25th, 2007 at 10:05am
Marriage should come in adulthood. People are mature and know how to make good decisions. If it's not the best, the get the consequence of their acts.

Teenagers are still, in a way, children. They depend on people to show them the way, on their own, ithout the proper guidance, they can make a wrong decision. Or like said in the above, people change. And if you love ONE person, wait. So how the relantionship blossons as you get older.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
November 25th, 2007 at 07:04pm

No. It's too young. You're still growing up, you're both changing. You might love each other now, but by the time your 20+, you'll be different people wanting different things.

Are they too young?

[color=#00386b][size=87][font=4]
I think so, for the reason above; you're still growing and changing.

Not all of them do. But that can be said for adults. I think you can know what true love is when you're a teenager.

Because they think they'll be together forever. When you'e young, you can believe you are right with anything. But again, this can be said with adults.

Should parents let them?

Yes, but after warning their child of all the risks and changes that will happen to them.

Imo, 20.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
November 25th, 2007 at 07:04pm
Double post, sorry. "/
xthe_emo_loserx
Killjoy
xthe_emo_loserx
November 25th, 2007 at 09:01pm
I think Its okay.If they end up being togethor for a while and then dont love each other anymore than they can just get a divorce. Oo But they I guess there are the people who mess around and I guess that would put pressure on a teenager when they already have enough
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
November 26th, 2007 at 12:07pm
xthe_emo_loserx:
I think Its okay.If they end up being togethor for a while and then dont love each other anymore than they can just get a divorce.

That is exactly the wrong kind of mindset to have when you are going into a marriage. That's what's wrong with the institution -- people don't try to resolve their differences because it's so easy to get a divorce.

As for the subject of teenage marriage, I don't entirely agree with it. If you love someone enough that you want to marry them, then the marriage itself can wait until you are out of school. I know of three examples of people I knew who married while teens and none of them worked out. One got married junior year of high school and missed half his senior year while divorcing and never finished school. Another dropped out of school two weeks before graduation to marry and it lasted less than a year and she too doesn't have her high school diploma. The third married as seniors (because she was pregnant) and that one lasted for two years. It's a lot of stress, it's a lot of hard work, and I think it's worth it to wait.
Skippy.
Always Born a Crime
Skippy.
November 26th, 2007 at 12:59pm
I don't think it should happen.
Teenagers are still trying to figure out who they are, and they already have too much going on in their life. School, for example.
I think that people should get out and do what they want while they're free.
You only get one life to live, so you might as well make the most of it.
Because once you take on marriage, you have responsibilities to fullfil.
The person that they may marry, might not even be the love of their life.
It takes time.