Role Models

AuthorMessage
G Way
Jazz Hands
G Way
August 13th, 2008 at 10:13pm
demolished lover.:
Disenchanted Parade:
Honestly, I think we could use some more female role models in Hollywood. With all these people like Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, Amy Whinehouse, and plenty of other celebs, little girls have no one to look up to in a positive way! I'm a 14 year old girl, and all of my role models are guys! I'm not trying to be sexist by saying that girls in Hollywood are ALL bad influences. I'm sure there are plenty of female role models out there that little girls can look up to. I'm just saying that the media is MESSED UP!!!! Because all they concentrate on is which star is getting arrested this week for staying out WAY too late and driving home drunk and stoned! We need to see more of the good people. In my opinion!

Okay. For the most part, I agree with you. The Hollywood Role Models that are female mostly have bad things attached to them.For example, Pamela Anderson. She is an animal rights activist and she has stated the two things she loves the most are 'sex and animal rights"

Now. We can take her as a bad infulence for um. Okay. i dont know how to put that. But, we can take her as a good infulence for following animal rights. I think it mostly depends on what they inspire you to do...

Now. When you said their are no good infulences in Hollywood. I disagreed with you. Most of my heroes are guys, yes, BUT, two of my greatest inspirations that are female are Lacey Mosely of Flyleaf, because she has dealt with suicidal thoughts, drugs, and depression, and she is clean now, proving to me that I can overcome anything if she can. Also, Hayley Williams I find is a good inspiration.

Like I said, I think it all depends on how a person inspires you
I didn't say that ALL female celebs are negative influences. I said that the media just focuses on the bad ones and the media should pay more attention to the good people. Just thought I'd clear that up. Sorry if I sounded confusing! Smile
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 13th, 2008 at 11:36pm
Disenchanted Parade:

I didn't say that ALL female celebs are negative influences. I said that the media just focuses on the bad ones and the media should pay more attention to the good people. Just thought I'd clear that up. Sorry if I sounded confusing! Smile
part of that reason is because making someone look bad sells, it is really messsed up, but think about it, the tabliods that sell the best are the ones with like Britany Spears having her kid sit on her lap as she drives. I think its that we are in such a demand to see someone who people once thought of as "perfect" be a total fuck up
G Way
Jazz Hands
G Way
August 14th, 2008 at 11:18am
My Dear Delirious:
Disenchanted Parade:

part of that reason is because making someone look bad sells, it is really messsed up, but think about it, the tabliods that sell the best are the ones with like Britany Spears having her kid sit on her lap as she drives. I think its that we are in such a demand to see someone who people once thought of as "perfect" be a total fuck up
Yeah, the media's just fucked up like that! Our country is in a really bad state right now, and the way things are being run makes me scared for the future!
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 14th, 2008 at 08:52pm
^It's not really the media's fault, it's people, if people weren't buying it, it wouldn't be sold. You can't really blame them though, I mean, everyone likes to hear juicy scandalous stories, and even more so when it's stuff about so called 'prefect rich celebrities'.
Spirit of Jazz.
Motor Baby
Spirit of Jazz.
August 17th, 2008 at 07:51pm
To Zanarkand:

This isn't a thread to bash other artists.

What might be horrible singing to you might just be amazing to another person. Personally, I don't think Gerars is that much of an amazing singer but does that make him any less of an idol to some? No. You hink she's unnatractive? So what? If you pick your role models by there looks then you need to sort out your priorities.

Personally I love Miley Cyrus, She's not annorexic, as far as I know she doesn't take drugs and above all she's made a name for herself. She's a great actress and a great singer.

Big wooop she showed her back in a magazine, heaven forbid if young kids ever went to the beach and saw a byunch of woman in bikini's.

yeah i see your point, i'm not trying to bash her. i don't completely hate her. sorry if i pissed anyone off.
Spirit of Jazz.
Motor Baby
Spirit of Jazz.
August 17th, 2008 at 07:52pm
oops! sorry double post.
MistressRhi
Motor Baby
MistressRhi
August 18th, 2008 at 04:07am
What constitutes as a "good" role model can be widely skewed and there can be good and bad things to both.

Take the pussycat dolls - now when they were an exclusive adult bordello performers i liked what they did, it was in an adult environment and they were showing just how sexy the female form could be - but now they're bringing singles out and they're more exposed to the younger generation i'm appalled at the stuff i see, they're barely dressed, always looking like hookers (personal opinion only) and they're talking about how they're better than all the ordinary girls out there, telling men they're girlfriends aren't good enough and telling young girls that they should aspire to be famous no matter what.....i just find that appalling

Miley cirus is a tough one i mean except for that one shoot she's always dressed well, not slutty and her songs are good for young girls. She made a mistake with that shoot but the thing is we have to remember that she is 15 - she wants to grow up and be attractive to the opposite sex too so i don't think she was really thinking about her fans at the time - nor should she all the time, she's human and she's allowed to live sometime and be herself.

I personally think that women who come out and have modesty(with some exeptions) but can be sexy too and show that you don't have to alter your body or sell yourself to men to be successful. Charlize Theron won an oscar for her acting in monster not how attractive she was and that is an example of what i think a good role model is
temptation.
Shotgun Sinner
temptation.
August 18th, 2008 at 08:06am
MistressRhi:
What constitutes as a "good" role model can be widely skewed and there can be good and bad things to both.

Take the pussycat dolls - now when they were an exclusive adult bordello performers i liked what they did, it was in an adult environment and they were showing just how sexy the female form could be - but now they're bringing singles out and they're more exposed to the younger generation i'm appalled at the stuff i see, they're barely dressed, always looking like hookers (personal opinion only) and they're talking about how they're better than all the ordinary girls out there, telling men they're girlfriends aren't good enough and telling young girls that they should aspire to be famous no matter what.....i just find that appalling

I personally think that women who come out and have modesty(with some exeptions) but can be sexy too and show that you don't have to alter your body or sell yourself to men to be successful. Charlize Theron won an oscar for her acting in monster not how attractive she was and that is an example of what i think a good role model is

Personally,I don't think the Pussycat Dolls are good role models.I don't mind their clothing,and I must say,they are beautiful,but I don't like the meaning of their songs.I'll take Don't Cha for example.If you love someone,you can't leave him,just because the other person is hotter than him,or something.

I agree that Charlize Theron is a good role model.She's beautiful,smart and famous with her acting.

My role models are both men and women.Gerard,because he showed me that I can deal with anything,if I have will and Angelina Jolie,because she adopted three kids and she has three more.She has a wonderful family and,she's with Brad Pitt. Naughty
MistressRhi
Motor Baby
MistressRhi
August 18th, 2008 at 09:40pm
Pretty Black Sky:

Personally,I don't think the Pussycat Dolls are good role models.I don't mind their clothing,and I must say,they are beautiful,but I don't like the meaning of their songs.I'll take Don't Cha for example.If you love someone,you can't leave him,just because the other person is hotter than him,or something.

That's the whole point i was making that they're awful role models now for younger girls, they're basically saying that unless you dress like a skank and have fake boobs and sleep around that you aren't good enough. They're is one band i'd like to see fail and i'm usually not that kind of a person.

I agree that Gerard is a good role model, he's had his bad times but he sobered up and he was always telling women to respect themselves. MCR as a whole are like that though, they don't have groupies, they never slept around, all of them have partners that they stick with.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
August 19th, 2008 at 07:08am
MistressRhi:

I agree that Gerard is a good role model, he's had his bad times but he sobered up and he was always telling women to respect themselves. MCR as a whole are like that though, they don't have groupies, they never slept around, all of them have partners that they stick with.

But arn't Gerard and Frank all over each other on stage? Is that okay for younger kids to see?
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
August 19th, 2008 at 09:22am
To Zanarkand:

But arn't Gerard and Frank all over each other on stage? Is that okay for younger kids to see?

In a way it can be, because MAYBE just maybe they wont grow up to be homophobes like almost everyone else where I live.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
August 19th, 2008 at 10:07am
You have to know where to stop. I mean, I think Mikey Way is as close to a role model as I have, simply because of the way he's dealt with things, and I really admire that. But I'm not going to copy everything he does, simply because he has done it, which is the problem a lot of younger kids have.

Having a role model is a good thing, because it gives you someone to look up to, and wanting to be like that person isn't neccessarily a bad thing, as long as you know when to stop, and you have your own dreams and aspirations.

People aren't perfect, so there are always going to be problems with role models, you just have to look up to them for the right reasons.

To Zanarkand:

possibly not, because anything that could be sexual is a bit rich for younger kids, but they are exposed to it anyway (soap operas, films etc) and seeing it man on man so to speak may result in them growing up to be more accepting. As I said before you have to look up to a person for the right reasons.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
August 19th, 2008 at 01:23pm
In a way it can be, because MAYBE just maybe they wont grow up to be homophobes like almost everyone else where I live.

seeing it man on man so to speak may result in them growing up to be more accepting

Who cares about the fact that there the same sex?

the doing the exact same as for example, The Pussycat Dolls, in the way that they act in a very sexually provocative way.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 19th, 2008 at 05:22pm
^I agree with you there. I wouldn't allow really young children to see an MCR show. (if it was up to me)
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 19th, 2008 at 09:48pm
hmm, I agree somewhat with all of you (I'm good at seeing it through al view pionts) you might say that take for example MCR is not considered a fit role model because a few of the guys do like to kiss each other, now you might say "well kissing is everywhere" but also note that if it is a hetrosexual relationship, people don't mind a simple kiss, but if it is aa homosexual couple, then it can be condemned and people don't want their kids to see that, mostly cause they don't want to have to explain some "awkward" things to thier kids, they want to shelter them, and I am all for that. But I have seen hetrosexual couples do very explicit things to each other in public, and it wasn't condemned half as much as the homosexual couple, I find that wrong and I think that is a piont that MCR tries to make (and they do talk about it alot and how wrong it is to be a homophobe, and I'm all for that too)

But also, MCR may not be totally acceptable as role models for little kids because, they do have a potty mouth, all of them, now true, cussing is everywhere, there is no way to get around that, but alot of parents feel that they don't want to get their kids to think it's ok to say liike "fuck you" to everyone, and now MCR they are very respectful people and they are very intellegant, but mean people find (even iftthey cuss themselves) that when someone else cusses that they are already kinda critical on, then when they hear that person drop the F bomb, they find them quite frankly, dumb, ignorant and pretty rude. How many parents really want their kids to be dumb or ignorant or rude?

Another thing that kinda hurts MCR is that many people veiw them as death obsessed or whatever and alot of people get very anxious when they see full grown men, wearing all black and talk about death, and then a regular person might think someone like Gerard finds death like a beautiful casual thing. Now people who really know Gerard, know it is the opposite and that he talks about things to try and help people out who are suicidal or want revenge. But many people became quickly skeptically, they are afriad of another Columbine happening. I work in a nursery, and if theres a new parent dropping off thier kid, when I go through the check in/greeting process I often times get alot of nasty or unsure looks, just because of the fact that I am a teenager and then also I'm ussually wearing all black, or something with very dark imagery and people tend to think of what was in the news about a kid that wore alot of dark clothing. Now after a parent gets kinda famialiar with me and sees me taking care of the kid, then 've never had a problem with a parent and they fully trust me, but at first glance, they think "how the hell did this girl get this job?"
demon dean
Always Born a Crime
demon dean
August 19th, 2008 at 10:45pm

i had a discussion with my mother about how she wouldnt let me listent to Marilyn Manson. She was saying he was a bad infulence and role model, and that his lyrics were incredibly disturbing. i disagreed, ofcourse, explaining how artists can't all be cookie cutter, and that they can't all be like Hannah Montana or the Jonas Brothers.
and she said that they absolutely should.
i found that disturbing.

For me, the people I look up to, are people who have accomplished amazing things. Been through it all. To hell and back. To me, Role Models are people who have lived a life of disenchantment, and survived it all. Atleast, thats what they mean to me. People who know what you're going through, and understand what its like to be miserable, or unwanted. People who know what its like to live a real life living in the dirty streets of New Jersey, and fight for what they want. work hard for what they want.
and not have it all handed to them on a shiny silver platter.

thats what a role model is to me.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 19th, 2008 at 11:55pm
jeffree fucking star:
For me, the people I look up to, are people who have accomplished amazing things. Been through it all. To hell and back. To me, Role Models are people who have lived a life of disenchantment, and survived it all. Atleast, thats what they mean to me. People who know what you're going through, and understand what its like to be miserable, or unwanted. People who know what its like to live a real life living in the dirty streets of New Jersey, and fight for what they want. work hard for what they want.
and not have it all handed to them on a shiny silver platter.

thats what a role model is to me.

That's what it is to you personally, but many people may see a role model as someone who acts respectably and is a good example. Which is where the Jonas Brothers come in. They don't drink or do drugs. They don't sleep around, they where purity rings, which I think is pretty cool. In a world where kids are just casually having sex all the time, they said that they weren't gunna do that.

My Dear Delirious:
hmm, I agree somewhat with all of you (I'm good at seeing it through al view pionts) you might say that take for example MCR is not considered a fit role model because a few of the guys do like to kiss each other, now you might say "well kissing is everywhere" but also note that if it is a hetrosexual relationship, people don't mind a simple kiss, but if it is aa homosexual couple, then it can be condemned and people don't want their kids to see that, mostly cause they don't want to have to explain some "awkward" things to thier kids, they want to shelter them, and I am all for that. But I have seen hetrosexual couples do very explicit things to each other in public, and it wasn't condemned half as much as the homosexual couple, I find that wrong and I think that is a piont that MCR tries to make (and they do talk about it alot and how wrong it is to be a homophobe, and I'm all for that too)

But a lot of times it is much more than kissing, they grope each other too. Sometimes Gerard gropes himself, and I wouldn't want a kid of mine seeing anyone do that, whether it be homosexual or heterosexual. It would also be awkward to explain why two men where kissing. Not only because it's two men, but neither of them are actually gay. If I told a child that it was perfectly okay for two men to kiss and love each other, his/her next question would probably be if Gerard and Frank loved each other, and from there to are they gunna get married. I agree with what they do, but I think their shows are at least pg13.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
August 20th, 2008 at 12:15am

Would you consider the Pussycat Dolls role models?
This isn't a sarcastic remark, it's a genuine question.
Because they performed in a strip show, and not clips like these are showing up.
This isn't a personal swipe at the PCD, I'm sure there are other groups just as bad out there, they are just one of them.

What do you guys think?

Or what about this video?

Here is one lyric that I found.
I like when the physical
Don't leave me asking for more
I'm a sexy mama (mama)
Who knows just how to get what I wanna (wanna)

What do you guys think of groups like this? Neutral
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 20th, 2008 at 01:14am
Eponine:
Which is where the Jonas Brothers come in. They don't drink or do drugs. They don't sleep around, they where purity rings, which I think is pretty cool. In a world where kids are just casually having sex all the time, they said that they weren't gunna do that.
I agree, I do think that for young people, especially in todays world, the Jonas Brothers are great. But even though they are great role models, you can't say that (like anything else) some people won't tak their love for their role models to extremes, what about in this scenerios?

Eponine:

But a lot of times it is much more than kissing, they grope each other too. Sometimes Gerard gropes himself, and I wouldn't want a kid of mine seeing anyone do that, whether it be homosexual or heterosexual. It would also be awkward to explain why two men where kissing. Not only because it's two men, but neither of them are actually gay. If I told a child that it was perfectly okay for two men to kiss and love each other, his/her next question would probably be if Gerard and Frank loved each other, and from there to are they gunna get married. I agree with what they do, but I think their shows are at least pg13.
No I understand what your saying, MCR was never meant to target little kids, in fact before The Black Parade came out, and even alittle bit before then, they were more well known among upper age teenagers and adults. In an interview Gerard said he noticed alot of fans now are 13 and 14 year olds, but apart of the reason why he thinks is because when most 13 and 14 year olds were starting to really kinda understand the world, September 11th happened (I'm 14 and so it happened when I was almost like 7) and after that as a kid you realize what this world is like, at a young age, and in all honesty, I'm not a virgin (that isn't my fault though) I'm getting clean and sober (from both drugs and alcohol which I had started when I was about 11, before MCR really came into my life, I didn't even know they had substance problems either) and I think I"m like alot of other kids were I needed someone to turn, I mean by the time I was 12 I had attempted suicide 7 times. So people need to know what to expect from certian people, and one of them is MCR. Now about them groping each other and so on, I think it's really just that they kinda get caught up in the moment, but I think they also I trying to make a statement (or thats how I see it) that its ok to be yourself, despite what that is and that it's ok to like yourself (not like masterbate but not hate yourself) Now I do agree it isn't totally suitable for say a four year old to be listening to MCR on thier on free will and wanting to go to their concerts, but to someone say like 11, if they are into it not because they are like trying to fit in, but they like the music and whaat its about. you might argue MCR isn't the best for young children, but I know alot more kids listening to rap that talks abou premiscious sex and killings for fun and exalts gangs then bands that talk about like death and homosexuality
temptation.
Shotgun Sinner
temptation.
August 20th, 2008 at 02:22am
Lovesick Melody.:

Would you consider the Pussycat Dolls role models?
This isn't a sarcastic remark, it's a genuine question.
Because they performed in a strip show, and not clips like these are showing up.
This isn't a personal swipe at the PCD, I'm sure there are other groups just as bad out there, they are just one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKFUPkmzbhw

What do you guys think?

Or what about this video?

Here is one lyric that I found.
I like when the physical
Don't leave me asking for more
I'm a sexy mama (mama)
Who knows just how to get what I wanna (wanna)

What do you guys think of groups like this? Neutral

The first video reminded me of my classmates in 4th grade.There was a talent show in school and they decided to dance on "Beep" by PCD.I wasn't listening to MCR that much,but I liked them.Anyway,back to the question.All of the girls were supposed to practise the dance,but I was the only one who was sitting and watching them.They asked me to join like a thousand times,because I'm a good dancer,but I didn't agree.Until one day,all my teachers and classmates started ignoring me,because of my opinion on the music.I was forced to join and I danced,just because I wanted to keep my grades up.We won the stupid talent show and everybody were so happy,but me.I felt wrong for changing my mind.

The lyrics...um..what can I say?Whory,stupid,have no meaning (at least to me).

At all the Pussycat Dolls are one of the worst role models,ever lived,or at least I think so.Most girls can't understand that idols like them make them believe in things,who don't exist,for example that it's easy to make a career in show business.Yes,PCD made theirselves popular with one song and quickly became superstars (with which comes the question "Why?" ),but I think that they couldn't get any respect from other artists (except hip-hop singers).