Don't have an account? Create one!

photography thread.

AuthorMessage
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
February 13th, 2010 at 03:35am
just a few from doing a shoot for a designer, for that corset.

Vaseline
Shotgun Sinner
Vaseline
February 15th, 2010 at 05:03am
www.flickr.com/cinnamondance
c/c, please..

i forgot my old flickr account Smile)
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
February 16th, 2010 at 05:20pm
Good shots at the zoo, but try to get your lens right up against the fence next time so you don't have that fence in the foreground - the idea is to make it seem as close to wildlife as possible!
The Master.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Master.
February 19th, 2010 at 11:19am
A panorama consisting of something like 11 images, it's in black and white at the moment, because i can't be bothered to edit a coloured version.
Click it.

I also have a few more, one of Cardiff Bay, and one of a pier, i just haven't had time to string them together in photoshop and edit them.
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
February 19th, 2010 at 06:05pm
^ that's REALLY good.
i wish i could take panorama images that well.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
February 19th, 2010 at 06:07pm
very cool. Stitch the others together so we can see them! I have a very small interest in trying panoramas, but I really am too lazy to go through the trouble. My boyfriend is the one who experiments with things like that.

Good work though.
The Master.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Master.
February 20th, 2010 at 02:05pm
Thanks, I'll try post them up tomorrow.
My first real attempt at portrait photography,
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

And other random ones from the park. xD
Image Image Image
More on Flickr
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
February 21st, 2010 at 12:37am
That's a really good start. My first portraits were disgustingly terrible. it helps to have the right lenses to do it with! And you're so good with composition. Although I just realized every single photo has your subject off to the right - try some left and center too! Closeups are my favorites.

Also...um, everyone. last year when my Flickr PRO account ran out, I received an AMAZING donation from an INO member to keep it going, and I gave her an 8x10 of her choice for free (this was shipped to a foreign country too at no charge for her!).

Again, the time has come...but this time I will make it 2 8x10's! Whoever wants to get me a Flickr pro account as a gift when mine runs out on March 18th. If you want to do it, and you have a Flickr account...I can explain to you how to do it, so just let me know via PM here or anywhere else you have me as a contact.

It would so goddamn amazing if someone could do this for me; my uploads are more than the limit would allow, EASILY, because they are huge hi-res files, and I NEED to have stats available for my photos because I am trying to start a business!

Please. D:

I have a few new photos I am happy with; I'll post them in a second.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
February 22nd, 2010 at 07:15pm
I did a senior pictures shoot yesterday! So, image dump, sorry. There are actually close to 50 images; these are some of my favorites. :]

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Exposure.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Exposure.
February 22nd, 2010 at 10:22pm
I havent been active here for a while but I hope to re-enter the INO art scene

here is a sample of some things i've been working on:

Image Image

opinions? Smile
Nutella With Forks
Motor Baby
Nutella With Forks
February 27th, 2010 at 07:04am

I finally remembered what a camera is used for.
First time taking photos since .. just after Christmas, I think..
keep on living.
Shotgun Sinner
keep on living.
February 27th, 2010 at 03:26pm
havent been on here in a while. i think the only reason i come on ino anymore is for this thread... lol. but i've been keeping up with you guys on flickr. your photography, as always, is stunning.

attended a Haiti benefit concert on February 12th. the bands all played for free and raised over $750 to send to Haiti to aid in relief efforts... it was really special, to see an organization started by a college student in my hometown do such a great thing for those who are suffering.

took some photographs, like I do. i'm considering offering the organization a few prints to auction/raffle/whathaveyou at their next event to raise money... i don't know if they'll take me up on it, or if these images are good enough to do that with. aha. but i thought it'd be a cool little something to do with my photos, and i could love to help out this cause in any way.

anyway, on to the images. a few of my favorites; sorry they're all just linked from facebook "/ my nonpro photo limit on flickr is up for the month. next month, i'll play catchup and get all my favorites from this show on there.

one.
two; a favorite.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven; a favorite.
eight; my favorite of all.

been thinking about making a photo blog. not sure if that's going to happen or not...

edit; just got batch 3/5 from this show edited.

one.
two.
three; favorite.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
February 27th, 2010 at 06:42pm
Two and eight rock, they're awesome. But your images aren't sharp at all...what do you do when you process them? Also, you might be suffering from chromatic aberration (lol), which is just your white tones bleeding over a little into the rest of the image. It's common with a low f-stop. I usually shoot at f/2.

Anyway, sharpening. Create a duplicate layer and go to Filter>other>high pass (keep it around 5 or so, just play with it), then set to overlay.

Sorry if you didn't want crit that specific. It does a world of good though. I will have to show you a comparison when I can get to my editing computer.
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
February 27th, 2010 at 08:22pm
Jenna, i'm in love with #4 :]
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
February 27th, 2010 at 09:50pm
Ahh I love the second one of that second batch. :]
followill.
In The Murder Scene
followill.
February 28th, 2010 at 12:01pm
keep on living.:
My favourite, I love the way the colours are soft. (:

- - - - - - - - - -

I haven't posted in here for ages.
But I've now got a pro flickr account so I might be posting more often. (':

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

/edit one of my cat, sooty. (:

They're kinda boring, but c/c would be lovely. (:
keep on living.
Shotgun Sinner
keep on living.
February 28th, 2010 at 05:58pm
thank you for all the comments/critique guys, it means the world to me xD i'm glad you guys like the images... your opinions, as well as your tips and tricks, help me so much. it helps me become better at what i do, so thanks a million!

stephanie, when you mentioned the slow f-stop contributing to the white balance problem, that made total sense for how i'm shooting. i usually shoot at f/1.4 or f/1.8 on my 30mm f/1.4 lens. that lense combined with an ISO anywhere between 800-1200 has made a world of difference in getting images without motion blur, which is tough at a rock show aha. but yes, i've noticed that, like you said, they aren't sharp... at all. lol. and the sharpness of the images varies depending on how the stage lighting changes, and so on....

next time i'm at a gig, maybe i'll try to play with the f-stop a little more... i've never put it at f/2 before. on my other lens i always shoot at f/2.8, because that's the lowest the f-stop on that lens goes. but since buying the f/1.4 i haven't used the f/2.8 to shoot any gigs.

i'll play on photoshop with that trick you gave me... and don't ever feel sorry for giving me critisism! i will take any hints you have to offer, especially since you're such a talented photographer. and that goes for anyone, not just stephanie aha. if any of you ever had any critique/advice, go ahead and let me know!

have two more sets from this show to edit and upload... soon it'll be march and i can upload to flickr again ^_^

shooting a show on march eleventh at a venue i've never been to. that makes me nervous... but i'm sure i if i play around with camera settings long enough, i'll find something that works. lol. that's sort of how my life as a photographer goes... but the more i'm doing this and the more i get good advice from photographers like you guys on INO, the better i get!

thanks again guys xD i look forward to seeing more of your works!
sorry for the novel D:

edit 3.1.10;
got my favorites from these concert photos up on flickr. yay for a new month ^_^ aha
took some photos last night... i appears i was seeing red.... aha. it'l make sense later. i like the way they turned out. i'll post them when i can.
t'lema
Salute You in Your Grave
t'lema
March 2nd, 2010 at 12:38pm
Is there any decent free photo editing software people could recomend? It would mainly just be for contrast, cropping, colour saturation etc.

Edit: Thought I should give something in return, so here are some of my favourite pictures I've taken:

And my one of my favourite portraits:

My mother and her niece at her naming ceremony.

Concrit very much welcome!
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
March 2nd, 2010 at 05:44pm
Kate - I really hope that you don't take this the wrong way, but those look to me like snapshots, all of them, not photography.

Which camera do you use? The best thing to do when posting here for the first time is to give all the info you can about your equipment and your hopeful direction as a photographer.

We pretty much all started off where you're at now and we've evolved into a tiny, helping community of photogs, many of us now with paid work.

Step 1 - TURN OFF YOUR FLASH! Any flash without a diffusion filter or any flash unable to be bounced directly off some solid source to more evenly spread its light...will give you harsh shadows and harsh tones. Also, when used outdoors in daylight, it COMPLETELY ruins what could be a nice natural light portrait like that of your friend and her dog. Beyond ruining your images, this will also make you the brunt of many jokes by other photographers. Wink

That said, you clearly used what you had to get an important photo at an important moment - but that doesn't make it portraiture in an art sense.

Also, before I get any further, I'll link you to this very important article about the Rule of Thirds, used in many many art forms including photography and film.

As for your image editing software...I hear of people using Gimp, but personally I can't stand it. Who knows, you might like it. Smile
t'lema
Salute You in Your Grave
t'lema
March 3rd, 2010 at 09:38am
Thanks merlin. don't worry I'm glad for the input!

I'd agree they are all snapshots, just getting used to the camera-none of them were planned really.

I've got a Nikon D40-it used to belong to my Dad, but he got himself a D90 I think. I don't have any lighting equipment/box etc I just want to learn how to take better pictures.

Thanks for the flash tip. I'm thinking of buying a book for dummies trying to start photography Razz I was thinking of this one unless you guys have any ideas for better places to start?

I'll look into Gimp-I don't have the cash to invest in Photoshop right now.