Don't have an account? Create one!

photography thread.

AuthorMessage
malibu.
In the Cannibal Glow
malibu.
April 13th, 2010 at 09:23pm
Did some baking the other day. I haven't been doing much photo taking lately, so these are just meh.

Image Image

First is blueberry muffins, and the second is banana muffins with honey and cinnamon icing (and a banana chip on top).
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 14th, 2010 at 12:39am
MMMM! There's some clutter in the background of these, and the first could use something light on the left to bounce that light and fill in the dark side, but other than that they are deliciousss! Natural light is the ONLY way to photograph food imo.
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
April 14th, 2010 at 03:53pm
long time no post! been really busy. I did a shoot for a 'behind the scenes' of a local girls music video shoot. I had a really really hard time with a well lit background and lowlight D: I'm not happy how the D90 handles the low light, this was shot at 400 ISO and it still turned out grainy.

The Master.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Master.
April 14th, 2010 at 03:55pm
that's weird, i get pretty clear shots up to 1600 iso and useable ones at 3200 and 6400.
:/
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
April 14th, 2010 at 06:33pm
The Master.:
that's weird, i get pretty clear shots up to 1600 iso and useable ones at 3200 and 6400.
:/

Yeah D: I was rather pissed, since that photo was at 400iso. Its the highest I could go cause of the low lighting, if I had gone up to 800 i hate to think how they would've turned out.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 14th, 2010 at 06:36pm
Hmm. Why so dark? jw.

Also, consider buying a mounted flash. ;]
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
April 14th, 2010 at 07:43pm
merlin.:
Hmm. Why so dark? jw.

Cause the light was coming in from the back, I had to find a balance as best I could with the light background and no light from the foreground. I couldn't use a flash due to them filming either :/ I was on f/1.8 too trying to do the best I could.
Scotia
Killjoy
Scotia
April 14th, 2010 at 07:58pm
Hey! Everyone here has gorgeous photos, and all seem to have a pretty good idea of what they're doing. So I though i'd pop in with a couple questions (:

1. I'm looking to buy good photo editing software, I'm leaning towards Adobe's Photoshop family. I don't really have a price range, but I'd like to know some good ones for a low price, and also for a higher price. Or just let me know what you use and how you get along with it!
2. I'm planning to college for photography, not this year, but in 2012. Which gives me a good amount of time to prepare myself, but the school doesn't say anything on specific portfolio requirements. So if anyone has an idea of what type/ how many of each type of photos I should include than please reply!

Thanks so much!
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 14th, 2010 at 11:08pm
GOOD software? Photoshop is great and, believe it or not competitively priced for what you receive. CS5 just came out Monday, and it's pretty damn amazing. As a side to Photoshop, I highly recommend Photoshop Lightroom if you are shooting in RAW. More expensive software - you have Express Digital Darkroom, which, as opposed to Adobe's $700, is $1400 with a much more primitive layout and fewer features. Weird how that works.

Your college requires a portfolio? Hmm, then I guess try 10 of each style...portraiture (grab your friends and go out to a pretty location), documentary (photograph a festival or event in your town), landscape (pretty easy, try things like the beach or a waterfall with a slow shutter speed and tripod, etc), architecture...you know.

If you're planning to focus on one career, you can lower some of the amounts of other styles and focus more on that. If you wanna be a band promo/live photographer or a wedding photographer, take your camera to shows and practice NOT using your flash, as well as portraits of groups, and documentary (that's the band promo/wedding reception part).

if you want to be an interior design/real estate photographer...etc.

Hope I helped.
The Master.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Master.
April 15th, 2010 at 07:48am
no face.:
merlin.:
Hmm. Why so dark? jw.

Cause the light was coming in from the back, I had to find a balance as best I could with the light background and no light from the foreground. I couldn't use a flash due to them filming either :/ I was on f/1.8 too trying to do the best I could.

you could have maybe used a reflector.
they're quite cheap.
and maybe asked to shoot photos in-between takes.
Scotia
Killjoy
Scotia
April 17th, 2010 at 11:29am
Thanks for the software suggestions!
keep on living.
Shotgun Sinner
keep on living.
April 17th, 2010 at 05:11pm
i havent been on here in... quite a while.
the photos of the muffins are lovely! omnomnom~ aha. i really really like them both.
in my personal opinion, i think the D90 handles low light fairly well. that's what i shoot with, and when i do my gig shots it always does very well, provided i can get my settings all sorted out for that specific venue on that specific day... that's unfortunate that you had so many problems. must have just been the environment "/
my two cents as far as photo editing software.... PHOTOSHOP. i've never used anything else, and i'm by no means a pro or anything... but i use PhotoShop Elements for all my editing. it's cheap compared to other software, and as far as i can tell, it does everything i could ever need in an editing program, and then some.

i went to Seattle yesterday with my school's Photo Club... wow. i'd never been to that city before... it was beautifullll. we visited Pikes Place Market and Pikes and 1st and just fjdask. i think i left my heart there. it was a gorgeous day and just, a lovely day to wander the city and take photos <3 even if we did all look retarded, wandering around in a group of sixteen or so, all with our DSLRs.... D: tourist much~

here's some. more to come.

Image Image Image

we also visited a college with an amazing photography program... i'd never considered photography as a profession, just a hobby, but ten+ years down the road if i decide i want a new direction in my life.... who knows? the program at this collegre really inspired me. i know how much work it is though, and how hard it is to make a living from it... i'm sure Stephanie can relate. aha.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 18th, 2010 at 12:31am
I will come back and say more when I'm not exhausted (SHOT MY FIRST WEDDING TODAY!!!) but OMFG I MISS SEATTLE SO MUCH I HATE YOU UGHHHH
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 18th, 2010 at 08:31pm
I did a headshot session; I was hired by another local photographer who needed shots for her website. She is madly obsessed with me now, hahaha.

Here is the set; it's set to private, but you're all cool to see it.

I am editing the photos from my first wedding now.

OH! And above: I love that first shot. I'd like to see more; did you get the famous shot of the Pike Place Market sign? There are many locations to shoot that from.
keep on living.
Shotgun Sinner
keep on living.
April 19th, 2010 at 11:28pm
Congrats on the wedding shoot Very Happy that's amazing. I hope everything went well!!!
And those portraits are gorgeousssss!
I think I only got one mediocre show of the market sign.... ahaha. xp I don't even know if it's worth editing/uploading.
I still have a ton of frames to edit, so don't fret, there'll be more to see ^_^ I just need to find time to upload them... it'll be a while. lol

Thank you for the compliments!
Scotia
Killjoy
Scotia
April 20th, 2010 at 02:39pm
OK, so I asked about photo editing software. But I just found out that a Macbook/Macbook Pro is the required laptop by the college. I currently have a Acer, and do not have the mony for a Mac. But I would still like to get Photoshop, but I don't want to spend to much for now, and spend more on a PhotoShop program that will work with my future Mac.

So I'm thinking of PhotoShop Elements, which 'keep on living' reccomended.
Does that sound like a good idea to everyone?
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 20th, 2010 at 04:59pm
Sounds good to me.
keep on living.
Shotgun Sinner
keep on living.
April 20th, 2010 at 07:30pm
go for it.

it's such a simple program compared to the rest of the PhotoShop family, but seriously it does any and everything an amateur could need. the RAW editing capabilities alone make it a lifesaver!
keep on living.
Shotgun Sinner
keep on living.
April 21st, 2010 at 08:58pm

more on flickr from seattle. still not quite done editing.
Scotia
Killjoy
Scotia
April 22nd, 2010 at 07:13am
^ Oh the colours are beautiful! I think it's really great. The only thing that bothers me is the blurred purple in the front, it's a little distracting, but not much. Maybe it's just the colour with my eyes.

I looked at your new photos on flickr, I like the Pastels alot (: